Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pretty funny, but at this point who HASN'T been photographed with Ghislaine Maxwell at a fundraiser, honestly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Hail to the King, baby.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

my mind is loving blown

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Thank you for bumping this because I had not seen the picture and now I have.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Wow! A... thread bump? I thought people were too busy playing in Shroud of the Avatar than to make a post in this thread! Way to go!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

What is the state of the game now days? Does it still have running servers?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I still want my kickstarter money back :(

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What is the state of the game now days? Does it still have running servers?

No servers

Just one server. (population around 22 on a Friday night.)

The game continues to get hilariously worse each patch.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

FreeWifi!! posted:

No servers

Just one server. (population around 22 on a Friday night.)

The game continues to get hilariously worse each patch.

:negative:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I wonder if we should just :goon: the server and see what happens.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Canuckistan posted:

I wonder if we should just :goon: the server and see what happens.

Yes.

Edit: All of these "Known Issues" have been around since early alpha.

Just so that any of you download the game, you know what your getting yourself into...

----
Known Issues (there's alot more)
----

Graphical and Visual Effects (VFX)
Certain emotes and animation state transitions can cause certain equipped items to momentarily disappear.
Camera target may move down toward the ground after dismounting from a mount. Reloading the scene fixes this.
Mount animations can look incorrect after changing mount types (i.e. from horse to stag). Reloading the scene fixes this.
Snow (and some rain) can still be observed falling into buildings, particularly on lower graphics settings.
LOD (level of detail) objects are still being implemented, so players may occasionally experience objects visually “popping” in and out of existence, or between visual states.
Some armor and clothing items from different sets will sort through one another.
Cloth simulation causing certain wearables to look strange.

Connectivity
Steam: Players may be unable to restart the game client from Steam if any window or browser was opened from within the game client (such as using the in-game features to submit a bug on our forums). Steam will recognize the open browsers/windows as the client is still running. Closing these windows or restarting Steam will work around this issue.
Launcher sometimes cannot apply an update patch. (This issue can sometimes be troubleshooted by having the game client closed while patching. Also, make sure you have enough disk space to download and apply the patch.)
The following firewall ports must be open for the Launcher and Game Client to run properly.
Launcher:
TCP Port 5074
UDP Port 55721
UDP Port 6881
Game Service:
UDP 5054
UDP 5055
UDP 5056
UDP 5057
UDP 5058
UDP 5059

Performance
The client may crash as you exit the game while playing offline. :lol:
There are numerous issues that exist with Cloth Simulation related to Unity 2018, including observed drops in performance. Cloth simulation can be disabled from within the video settings to improve this experience.
Some virus programs with outdated libraries may attempt to quarantine essential game files, mistakenly identifying them as threats. This can have significant effects, including the client not starting at all. We recommend keeping antivirus programs updated frequently as they address problems. Workarounds include reinstalling and launching the client with the aggressive antivirus software disabled, or whitelisting the game directory in the antivirus list of exceptions.
Low client performance and bad framerates can influence resurrection timers, making them last longer than their intended duration.
The client may crash while exiting the game while the avatar is Dead/Ghosted. :wtf:
Players may be unable to interact with objects via double-click if their framerate is low. A workaround is to use the “E” interaction key.
Memory leaks can occur when changing scenes. To the Overworld especially. (Restarting the client may resolve this issue.)
Crashing has been tied to issues with DX11 for some, but not all, players.
There may be framerate issues and slowdown in game, as optimizations are ongoing. :hurr:

---
There's a whole 2 pages of this...
---

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 1, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
essential files being mistaken for threats in the year 2021 :concerned:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Freakazoid_ posted:

essential files being mistaken for threats in the year 2021 :concerned:
Mistaken? You run that exe and this game might launch.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I just checked steamcharts and it's still hovering at around 150 players. Development apparently consists of mainly just one guy and some people working on contract.

(I don't have any idea what's been done since we all got laid off several years ago; pretty sure most content development came to a screeching halt at that point)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I guess the most important question is: Does Lethality still hold out hope for the game?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Shroud of the Avatar: Game crashes on launch.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Imagine paying thousands for this piece of poo poo lol

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Did people get their vials of Richard blood they donated for? I mean they had a hard enough time getting people cloth maps on time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Seeing new posts made me check out the game on Steam

I have zero clue why but :lol:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

peter gabriel posted:

Don’t be coy, we know you were messing with the SoTA .cfg files.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

JugbandDude posted:

Don’t be coy, we know you were messing with the SoTA .cfg files.

:ninja:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I guess the most important question is: Does Lethality still hold out hope for the game?

Last time I saw him on Twitter he seemed to have moved on to Star Citizen. I suppose it was inevitable.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

You attack one member of the Origin scamily, you attack all :iiasb:

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Is episode 2 out yet? I think that will turn this game into a success!

peter gabriel posted:

Did you post anywhere? I've heard that asking about things or saying you don't like the game will get you banned.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I just realized they haven't posted a kickstarter update since 1/15/21. Usually its every week or so. That must mean they're busy working hard on episode 2!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

yoloer420 posted:

Is episode 2 out yet? I think that will turn this game into a success!

Did you post anywhere? I've heard that asking about things or saying you don't like the game will get you banned.

I posted asking something once, nothing major just asking for help on something
I think they are super sensitive in there

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

I wonder if anyone on Shorud plays PvP.

If no, why?

If yes, what?

I've never touched PvP, it looks like a hot mess

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
PvP requires there to be other players in the game.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Richard Garriott is such a genius that instead of PvP, you PvYourself, the ultimate battle

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I posted asking something once, nothing major just asking for help on something
I think they are super sensitive in there

The hardcore backers are all that are left playing this, and they all realized years ago that they ignored the writing on the wall that this was a huge scam, and that they will never get the RPG that they were originally promised.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
There must be a few huge whales left. I can't see them keeping it running otherwise.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Its pretty cheap to keep an MMO running on life support. They might have decided the best option is to just let things coast rather than risk a costly lawsuit over someone losing access to their $15,000 pixel castle.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Its pretty cheap to keep an MMO running on life support. They might have decided the best option is to just let things coast rather than risk a costly lawsuit over someone losing access to their $15,000 pixel castle.

Yeah. Just look at fossils like Anarchy Online or the original Everquest, which are still crawling along despite having about 17 players each. I can only assume that once forward development has ceased, you can strip the staff on an MMO down to one tech and one GM.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The latest EQ expansion came out in December. That game is still very much in active development

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The latest EQ expansion came out in December. That game is still very much in active development

People still play it?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Gynovore posted:

People still play it?

I think the latest quote is that there are 82,000 subscribed accounts, and it has an expansion every year. It's got a pretty good population for being 22 years old.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

EQ is going to exist until the original generation of MMO nerds dies off.

Every spring thousands of people start over on a brand new TLP server and play content that is 20+ years old.

It’s like the return of the cicadas.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ehud posted:

EQ is going to exist until the original generation of MMO nerds dies off.

Every spring thousands of people start over on a brand new TLP server and play content that is 20+ years old.

It’s like the return of the cicadas.

we are all chasing the dragon of killing our first bat or decaying skeleton in west freeport or gfay or whatever. i'm extremely tempted by the latest TLP server announcement. FV-style loot and randomized loot tables? *heavy breathing*

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I have a few friends and family members who still play EQ. They were hardcore raiders back in the late 90s and early 2000s and just never moved on. Now days they multibox their entire group and the whole experience for them is drastically different than what most of us who played back then pine for. The people remaining not only have years of time played but huge parts of their social circle are other people who they have played with for decades. Due to a combination of sunk cost and social pressure they will keep playing until the day they die. It doesnt seem like a particularly healthy life but hey who am I to judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

I have a few friends and family members who still play EQ. They were hardcore raiders back in the late 90s and early 2000s and just never moved on. Now days they multibox their entire group and the whole experience for them is drastically different than what most of us who played back then pine for. The people remaining not only have years of time played but huge parts of their social circle are other people who they have played with for decades. Due to a combination of sunk cost and social pressure they will keep playing until the day they die. It doesnt seem like a particularly healthy life but hey who am I to judge.

Sounds about right. I'm guessing that about half of those people played a lot in college/twenties, and are now professionals. They only play a few hours a month, but $100 a year is no biggie when you make $70K.

EDIT: I'm still willing to bet that Anarchy Online has only a few hundred subscribers, no bullshit. It never was a great game, it only had the good fortune to get in a few years before WoW obliterated everything.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 8, 2021