Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 20, 1999)

I have similar opinions about the term "Human Resources". Vespene gas is a resource, a person is a person.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

It's for consumers. Or perhaps resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 07, 1945)

Val, you walked into the palace and CARRIED OFF the princess in sight of EVERYONE and didn't eat a dozen arrows, get dogpiled by guards (maybe they're all guarding the beach), or get stabbed by her 20 suitors. SOMETHING is protecting you.

(Yeah, it's plot magic, but I like the idea of Aleta staging/working the whole thing. "Oh dear, this BRUTAL man is carrying me away from the arranged marriage I hate! What SHALL I do?")

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/30/01

Stephen Collins is political this week.

Brenda Starr 5/19/46

"Also, I need to find out why I'm in this fakakta strip when I'm clearly a Dick Tracy villain. I even have a humorously appropriate '-face' nickname!"

Smokey Stover 11/30/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

"Capitalsaurus" isn't really a dinosaur species. Marion Barry was DC's "Mayor-for-Life," spending almost 20 years as mayor and another 15 years on the city council while surviving enough scandals to destroy a dozen political careers.

Bonus Ad! Tired? Skinny? Try drinking yeast cakes mashed into tomato juice!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cobalt-60 posted:

Val, you walked into the palace and CARRIED OFF the princess in sight of EVERYONE and didn't eat a dozen arrows, get dogpiled by guards (maybe they're all guarding the beach), or get stabbed by her 20 suitors. SOMETHING is protecting you.

(Yeah, it's plot magic, but I like the idea of Aleta staging/working the whole thing. "Oh dear, this BRUTAL man is carrying me away from the arranged marriage I hate! What SHALL I do?")
She's definitely working it - I think she probably could have just walked away quite easily when he was asleep, but she's fascinated with him, so she's deliberately prolonging their time together to try to win him over and figure him out. She warned him when she saw her own men coming, for god's sake!

EDIT: I think that's what makes this charming to me. Val isn't trying to do a romantic abduction, but Aleta is going to make it that whether he likes it or not.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Elly: "I want you to learn how to drive safely!"

Also Elly: "Grrr, I'm mad you've learned how to drive safely!"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Comet

Now won't you be dears and help granny do a murder-by-sofa?

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 1, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I loving love Prince Val. I wish this would be a great movie, not the poo poo we know it would be. Because Aleta kicks rear end.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

PetraCore posted:

She's definitely working it - I think she probably could have just walked away quite easily when he was asleep, but she's fascinated with him, so she's deliberately prolonging their time together to try to win him over and figure him out. She warned him when she saw her own men coming, for god's sake!

EDIT: I think that's what makes this charming to me. Val isn't trying to do a romantic abduction, but Aleta is going to make it that whether he likes it or not.
I think women subtly being in control of men is a theme in these old Val strips. There was that story a while back about the woman who wanted the big blonde guy and manipulated him into falling for her, for example.

Modern Val women more openly hold power and--at least between the main characters--there is mutual respect and equality, which I guess is why there isn't much of this stuff.

It is charmingly old-fashioned though.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The answer is "Yes," idiot.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Andertoons ain't done updated yet.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (April 4, 1992)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

As we all know, ladies always land on their feet.

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Comet

Now won't you be dears and help granny do a murder-by-sofa?
Getting echoes of a more upbeat (and largely offscreen) version of 'The Fillyjonk Who Believed in Disasters' here.

edit: good LORD Santanen.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

This had better be the start of Heloise becoming the new Phantom!

Classic Zits

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Heloise has really nice handwriting

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Sad Bear

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

The answer is "Yes," idiot.

If anything, Cory should tell her to get lost. He doesn't know anything about her while she seems to know a bit about him from his social media account. Their entire conversation is her trying to butter him up, and now she's asking him to do some pro bono work when he only takes photos during his days off? This is like if you're an artist who does commissions and some rando is trying to score a free drawing off of you.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 1/14-16/43

Hey, you know what would really up the suspense in this kidnapping? A several-weeks-long and completely unconnected flashback!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Deathless Deer is such a weird strip. I still haven't decided how I feel about it.

amigolupus posted:

If anything, Cory should tell her to get lost. He doesn't know anything about her while she seems to know a bit about him from his social media account. Their entire conversation is her trying to butter him up, and now she's asking him to do some pro bono work when he only takes photos during his days off? This is like if you're an artist who does commissions and some rando is trying to score a free drawing off of you.

Yeah, the actual answer should be, "I can't pay rent with 'exposure'."

He's a doctor and I'm sure he's doing just fine financially, but it's the principle. Pay your talent.

I never thought it could happen. A Gunther strip I don't hate.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 1/14-16/43

Nice to see Prince Valiant getting other work.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Julet Esqu posted:

Deathless Deer is such a weird strip. I still haven't decided how I feel about it.

He's a doctor and I'm sure he's doing just fine financially, but it's the principle. Pay your talent.

That's because Les is a fun character who doesn't totally suck.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

The_Other posted:

Second, John Allison announced on his Patreon that his original Scary-Go-Round site down and he doesn't know when or if it will be back up. This means that the original Bad Machinery and New Bobbins strips will be unavailable (he had already taken down the classic Bobbins and Scary-Go-Round comics back in 2020). He is going to release collections of the New Bobbins strips on his Gumroad store store, as well as on his Patreon for the $3 and up supporters.
Thankfully all of Bad Machinery is now backed up on Gocomics!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Disembodied tit spoiler

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Sep 8-9, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 10-13, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (May 10-13, 1989)

That third panel has always been a favorite.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Calvin's mom and dad couldn't sleep because they were on the wrong side of the bed, and after they swapped everything was better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

I loving love Prince Val. I wish this would be a great movie, not the poo poo we know it would be. Because Aleta kicks rear end.

In fact there were two Prince Valiant movies, one in 1954 and one in 1997. I have no idea if either of them is any good.

It also had a 65-episode cartoon.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

I think women subtly being in control of men is a theme in these old Val strips. There was that story a while back about the woman who wanted the big blonde guy and manipulated him into falling for her, for example.

I love how that arc ended with the king even calling out "well, she is definitely manipulating him into falling for her, but she's also insanely pretty, so good for him."

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

For christ's sake. He's an independently wealthy doctor who take photos as a hobby being propositioned by a blond with nice tits to take "modeling photos." Why the hell would he get pissy about it?

Have you all turned into characters from Luann?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How bad does Bernice need to be to make a Gunther and Les strip tolerable? This is valuable data.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Julet Esqu posted:

I hate Luann, but I love every strip that has the cat in it. I don't know how they manage it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Weembles posted:

For christ's sake. He's an independently wealthy doctor who take photos as a hobby being propositioned by a blond with nice tits to take "modeling photos." Why the hell would he get pissy about it?

Have you all turned into characters from Luann?

You've never seen her tits

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

You've never seen her tits

I extrapolated.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't know what I was expecting but this wasn't it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvBv9y6g6QA

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Bongo Bill posted:

In fact there were two Prince Valiant movies, one in 1954 and one in 1997. I have no idea if either of them is any good.

And apparently, NES and Game Boy games based on the cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAnd3hYjL-g

I do like that music in the first stage.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Thank god my newly-minted 16 year old son, who I had been worried about him starting to drive, has turned out to be a conscientious learner of the road rules and seems to be serious about driving safely and obeying all the road rules!

E:F;B

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 2, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

B Kliban

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
KInda-sorta spoilerish evaluation of Deathless Deer so far: Its reputation among comic strip people led me to expect a certain type of creative car crash. Even though we're still in early days, I can already smell the rubber on the road.

The part about Deathless Deer I can say out loud: This style isn't exactly what I'd call dynamic. How many characters have shown expressions other than "blank surprise" or "intense concentration"?

Anyway, I've got a case of Pfizer second-dose bleahs, so I'm posting the the short list again.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 28, 1933)

Peanuts (May 3-4, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean delivers a payoff well worth dragging through a whole week.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire, in which RJ picks up old threads.

Thimble Theater (November 30-December 1, 1937)

Out Our Way (July 16-18, 1936)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 2, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Bongo Bill posted:

I watched the 1954 movie last year and gave a little review in the comic strip thread

The_Other posted:

So I watched the 1954 Prince Valiant film this weekend. Pretty good in my opinion! The movie follows the broad strokes of the early comic, with some scenes being taken from specific strips. I also felt that the 50's Technicolor aesthetic fit well with the comic. As for the acting, Robert Wagner is fine as Valiant, but I really liked Sterling Hayden as Sir Gawain, who is clearly having fun with the role.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #142 (1992)

I do not want to say how much a cold tallboy of sperm costs in 2021 but it is not $135. It is not $135 at all.
Anyway this bit of this arc is very intense and at once scary and reassuring to me at this point in my life so I might be a bit terse with the annotations.

Batman (11/22/1989)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well, that Crankshaft saga could've been worse and thank Christ it wasn't, but also what the gently caress is the point of Funky Winkerbean telling this story at AA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (May 7, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 5, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 8, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 19, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 19, 1935)

Mopsy (January 19, 1937)

b]Dark Laughter[/b] (June 16, 1945)

Those Were the Days (February 12, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 9, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 9, 1965)