Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I have actually. My friend suffered through it while I unlocked Puppeteer and the Cards and Guns pirate.\

Half the lore important side quests and quests to unlock classes or key features of the game (including the expansions) are all this kind of bizarre bullshit.

"Talk to this one random NPC in this city at night to trigger a cutscene that shows a location you cannot have gotten to yet now go into this dungeon but not too far in because enemies will be too strong in this second half to talk to find the item you'll need to bring to the location in the cut sense."

It's charming, but I only think that because I have guides and know people that know the way already. If I was going in blind I'd probably hate it more than anything else.

thats just what mmos were before wow and data mining came along. just tons of obscure and overly difficult bullshit no one would ever figure out in their own that forced you to interact with other players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

babypolis posted:

thats just what mmos were before wow and data mining came along. just tons of obscure and overly difficult bullshit no one would ever figure out in their own that forced you to interact with other players

most of those didn't have full on Final Fantasy level plots with actual character arcs and poo poo in them like XI does. It's why I said earlier slapping one onto an everquest clone was a weird choice.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I have actually. My friend suffered through it while I unlocked Puppeteer and the Cards and Guns pirate.\

Half the lore important side quests and quests to unlock classes or key features of the game (including the expansions) are all this kind of bizarre bullshit.

"Talk to this one random NPC in this city at night to trigger a cutscene that shows a location you cannot have gotten to yet now go into this dungeon but not too far in because enemies will be too strong in this second half to talk to find the item you'll need to bring to the location in the cut sense."

It's charming, but I only think that because I have guides and know people that know the way already. If I was going in blind I'd probably hate it more than anything else.

I think I levelled down going through Shadowreign Jugner Forest to unlock Dancer

it was worth it though, that class loving rules and nobody plays it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

most of those didn't have full on Final Fantasy level plots with actual character arcs and poo poo in them like XI does. It's why I said earlier slapping one onto an everquest clone was a weird choice.

i mean what else could they have cloned at the time? unless you mean making it a mmo in the first place which yeah, never a good idea. but it probably made sound financial sense at the time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i am contemplating purchasing hero must die but i've already got lots of weird rpgs i'm playing rn between atelier and drakengard

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think I levelled down going through Shadowreign Jugner Forest to unlock Dancer

Puppeteer is so fuckin rad. I have no goddamn money but my mammet is very strong and I love her.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Puppeteer is so fuckin rad. I have no goddamn money but my mammet is very strong and I love her.

Yeah PUP is my other main and you're right, it loving owns. I love having it tank because it never takes any damage and I just punch poo poo alongside it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

kirbysuperstar posted:

Back when I played (so, not for like a decade lol) Dancer was my main.

I agree, they rule.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

loquacius posted:

I will say that if I want to experience a game's story without suffering through gameplay that is either straight up bad or not suited to me I'll probably just find an LP of it or something

see: Drakengard

I played Drakengard before it was cool

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't know how to feel about a pup that isn't fundamentally terrible.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't know how to feel about a pup that isn't fundamentally terrible.

puppies are good >:I
puppy power!!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Octopath is on gamepass (console only? Not sure, sorry) and if you're interested in the story side just abort all interest now because thats its weakest part across writing, structure, and integration.

Edit: Also don't take the above to mean the combat is amazing. Its decently fun but it runs out of anything interesting to explore way way before the end and the way its structured means it has the "spend turns to setup the turn you actually do stuff" conundrum and the party members are not balanced at all.

Eh gamepass sounds great, but I dont have xbox. Gonna wait for a bigger discount on pc I guess maybe later in the year.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ulio posted:

Eh gamepass sounds great, but I dont have xbox. Gonna wait for a bigger discount on pc I guess maybe later in the year.

Gamepass is on pc unless you are on windows 7

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tae posted:

Gamepass is on pc unless you are on windows 7

Oh ya you are right. I thought game pass pc's library was quite small but they do have octopath and way more games than before. I am getting it to try out Octopath, it even includes ea play drat thats a great deal. I had EA play just to play battlefield from time to time.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 2, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah if you don't mind the whole renting games thing (and no modding for most things though there are exceptions), game pass is not a bad deal at all

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah if you don't mind the whole renting games thing (and no modding for most things though there are exceptions), game pass is not a bad deal at all

Ya I like owning games but octopath's price seems to high maybe I am wrong, I got gamepass so i'll try it out if it's great I will definitely buy it or the sequel to support it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Jokes aside DS2 has fun gameplay, some fun characters and some nice designs but the story and atmosphere are like 5 steps down from DS1.

Also a character that had such strong gay vibes that atlus literally made a girl version of him to try and stop getting people to ship him with the MC. it didnt work (though she is cute).

Who is that? Tico?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Who is that? Tico?

the 3ds version had a bonus scenario that has yamato's sister as a main character

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

I played Drakengard before it was cool

I played drakengard when I was like 9. Didn't give a poo poo about thes story and too dumb to understand the game sucked.

A lot's changed since then.

I care about stories now. :v:

RareAcumen posted:

Who is that? Tico?

the hotsuins, yamato and later miyako.

The "to stop people from shipping them" thing might be hearsay since at least in the english version characters do comment on how he seems to crush on the mc.

The Colonel posted:

i am contemplating purchasing hero must die but i've already got lots of weird rpgs i'm playing rn between atelier and drakengard

It's pretty good, something you should get around to eventually at the least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dmboogie posted:

the 3ds version had a bonus scenario that has yamato's sister as a main character

Acerbatus posted:

the hotsuins, yamato and later miyako.

The "to stop people from shipping them" thing might be hearsay since at least in the english version characters do comment on how he seems to crush on the mc.

Ah okay. I read an LP of the game years ago and had no idea about any of the changes they made because it was the old version.

Weird that there was a Durarara crossover of all things. And I say that as someone who liked the anime.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anyway I’m playing Nier replicant and it kicks rear end. I decided I’m gonna try to do all the sidequests for some reason

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Ah okay. I read an LP of the game years ago and had no idea about any of the changes they made because it was the old version.

Weird that there was a Durarara crossover of all things. And I say that as someone who liked the anime.

Durarara and Devil Survivor have the same character designer. I think that's pretty much the logic behind the crossover.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

WrightOfWay posted:

Durarara and Devil Survivor have the same character designer. I think that's pretty much the logic behind the crossover.

It's a lot more obvious if you look at the illustrations in the original books.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The same designer also did most of the more recent Digimon games.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they do good designs aside from the weird boobs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my hot take: i dont really care about the boobs and its weird how much people post that one desu2 image

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It was kinda funny like six years ago or whatever but that time has passed. Amane's in-between leg ribbon with the twist in it and Nokia's back and front seperated dress are stranger to me. But I enjoy them, they're fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh also the PSO2 outfit he did that has an open boob with a pastie, lol

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

:yeah:, the weird boobs are just kind of doofy to see on a nice design

recently i think that artist did some FE Heroes art for a character and that flaw seems to have been ironed out at the least maybe??

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They're very much in the 'way too stylish for anyone to actually wear' category most of the time, but they're pretty good in general. Just makes that one line midori has about cosplay in desu kinda funny

Endorph posted:

my hot take: i dont really care about the boobs and its weird how much people post that one desu2 image

Because it's mildly amusing and easily recognizable as being technically poor on an otherwise good character design, generally. It's like pointing out the guy in blue jeans when you watch gladiator.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 2, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's no technically poor way to draw titties anymore, the horizons for expression of boobs has expanded too wide

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't know off the top of my head what other RPGs are on the PC platform of game pass since my PC is so bad that it genuinely struggles maintaining Doom at 35 fps but there should be several others to check out in case octopath isn't your thing.

Like the version of Nier Automata that doesn't require mods to work right.

The Colonel posted:

there's no technically poor way to draw titties anymore, the horizons for expression of boobs has expanded too wide

Someone out there knows their concave titties time has come

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

Thread's been around for like 17 years now, we all know that the only time you can talk about boobs is to complain about them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like the boobies of ines from arknights

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The real boobs were the friends we made along the way

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Barudak posted:

Don't know off the top of my head what other RPGs are on the PC platform of game pass since my PC is so bad that it genuinely struggles maintaining Doom at 35 fps but there should be several others to check out in case octopath isn't your thing.

Like the version of Nier Automata that doesn't require mods to work right.

DQ11 and a bunch of FF games among others

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

babypolis posted:

I would not say that octopath has bad writing per se. the game is genuinely well written in lots of parts. all the main characters are interesting and have a distinctive voice. also I liked that there was actually a point to talking to every npc. main criticisms i would level at the writing itself is that all the characters have one cliche phrase they like to say over and over, that some of the stories are pretty unexciting compared to the rest, and that side quests are pretty boring for the most part.

its just that the completely nonsensical structure of the narrative ends up deducting a lot of points from it

also every plot twist is telegraphed to the point where it becomes frustrating

"oh this guy is obviously going to betray me some time in the next chapter, time to go through the motions of working with him anyway until then" is a thing that happens like 3 separate times

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snooze Cruise posted:

JRPGS are not high art, because there is no such thing as high art, besides the hit movie Creed.

Half Baked is high art. :420:

babypolis posted:

tecmo secret of the stars is a better, more enjoyable read than anything joyce has written

I unironically love that dumb goofy RPG and the secondary party (and much larger group to assemble it from) was a neat mechanic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thuryl posted:

also every plot twist is telegraphed to the point where it becomes frustrating

"oh this guy is obviously going to betray me some time in the next chapter, time to go through the motions of working with him anyway until then" is a thing that happens like 3 separate times

The only plot twist that wasn't super telegraphed was the one for Primrose's story because it was so loving stupid and out of nowhere that no one could have seen it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
can someone remind me if drakengard 1 locks the final ending behind maxing out all weapons' levels, or just getting all weapons