Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress do they make their hamburgers out of?

Its burritos

Naelyan posted:

Hopefully it mostly ends up like what happened here when minimum went from $11.60 to $14 in a day: fuckin' nothing. Owners that are complaining about minimum wage increasing were already scheduling the minimum amount of labour, and you can't cut more staff from there and still function. They'll either eat the costs or increase prices, and hopefully it doesn't affect you too much.

Lol, you can ALWAYS cut more labor my dude. If you aren't functional, just scream at the staff you have and blame unemployment benefits

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

definitely not gonna order the carne asada.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Naelyan posted:

Hopefully it mostly ends up like what happened here when minimum went from $11.60 to $14 in a day: fuckin' nothing. Owners that are complaining about minimum wage increasing were already scheduling the minimum amount of labour, and you can't cut more staff from there and still function. They'll either eat the costs or increase prices, and hopefully it doesn't affect you too much.

The couple years after this were our most profitable ever, turns out giving millions of potential customers a 20% raise is actually good for business.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

evilpicard posted:

The couple years after this were our most profitable ever, turns out giving millions of potential customers a 20% raise is actually good for business.

Yep. Every (lovely) small restaurant owner and every chain manager I heard from for the entire year before this went through was crying the end of the world was coming. Six months later and you didn't hear a fuckin' peep about it because everyone was doing at least as well as they had before.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The last server at our bar quit mid-shift last night because a guy sexually assaulted her and then tossed her a $20 bill and said "Thanks for the good time, Sweetass." I honestly think it was her third or fourth time getting assaulted since we re-opened.

What goes through people's heads? And don't say booze like he did. That's not an excuse.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

fizzymercury posted:

The last server at our bar quit mid-shift last night because a guy sexually assaulted her and then tossed her a $20 bill and said "Thanks for the good time, Sweetass." I honestly think it was her third or fourth time getting assaulted since we re-opened.

What goes through people's heads? And don't say booze like he did. That's not an excuse.

How did management give him enough time to pull out a $20 or get close enough to interact with her anymore?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
He groped her then tossed a $20 at her. He was planned this move. It wasn't like a long drawn out deal. They immediately forcibly removed the guy. I don't really know how they could have helped in the moment.

What's upsetting about management is all the servers have brought up with management that guys are grabbing rear end all day and they were told to deal with it, it's a sports bar. They knew all of our table service staff are getting harassed and just decided to watch it happen instead of dealing with it. It didn't used to be like this and I don't know why it's happening. It's really depressing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fizzymercury posted:

He groped her then tossed a $20 at her. He was planned this move. It wasn't like a long drawn out deal. They immediately forcibly removed the guy. I don't really know how they could have helped in the moment.

What's upsetting about management is all the servers have brought up with management that guys are grabbing rear end all day and they were told to deal with it, it's a sports bar. They knew all of our table service staff are getting harassed and just decided to watch it happen instead of dealing with it. It didn't used to be like this and I don't know why it's happening. It's really depressing.

the minute those jackasses gave the "boys will be boys" crap yall shoulda walked out right then

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

fizzymercury posted:

It's happening because they're letting it happen, and yeah, that fuckin' sucks (for the servers). Good on her for walking out.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm at work (private club) early doing inventory since it's the first of the month and we're open for dinner service tonight. It's not super busy but our averages covers have been going up since our membership is older and vaccinated. GM calls and asks if I can help run service tonight when A: we already have a host, 2 bar and 4 servers on for THIRTY covers, and B: I've already worked 45 hours this week, and C: my day crew partner and I do TWENTY covers for lunch with just us 2. Feeling a lil disgruntled.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Your cat is acting funny and may have to go to the vet.

Bonus if you don’t have pets.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

bloody ghost titty posted:

Your cat is acting funny and may have to go to the vet.

Bonus if you don’t have pets.

heard

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Naelyan posted:

Yep. Every (lovely) small restaurant owner and every chain manager I heard from for the entire year before this went through was crying the end of the world was coming. Six months later and you didn't hear a fuckin' peep about it because everyone was doing at least as well as they had before.

That's because the bosses are all overlooking that their customer base, and potential customer base, are also getting raises. That means more people can grab a burger and/or a beer and so more money in the till. Short-sighted like most capitalists.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mllaneza posted:

Short-sighted like most capitalists.

workers of the world unite, happy may day

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

workers of the world unite, happy may day

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Disargeria posted:

Idk what it's like in other states but my UI pool of money only lasted for like 3 months, certainly not a year.

It's cute and easy to blame UI and stimulus because the alternative is facing the facts and math of the situation.

In Washington state I basically had a free ride for 14 months. Probably partially why places here are struggling to hire up even when offering $16-17/hr when minimum is 13.6something.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

fizzymercury posted:

This happened at one of my first restaurants. 3 of the cooks went sprinting after him carrying a shovel - I never learned what happened after that.

It's a weird patriarchal culture where there's a constant background hum of sexual harassment coming from the kitchen, but they get angry when a customer does it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Republicans posted:

In Washington state I basically had a free ride for 14 months. Probably partially why places here are struggling to hire up even when offering $16-17/hr when minimum is 13.6something.
I'll say this: Colorado's new legislation is pretty excellent at cutting down a lot of this crap. For anyone that doesn't know, the equal work for equal pay act made it so that, among other things, all businesses have to post their range and benefits up front (and prohibits asking for previous salaries).

This includes online job postings!

There's also a local ordnance from last year that set up city minimum wages as opposed to the state, and at least a few other towns have seperate for-city-employee-living-wage-mins that are kept up to date.

So if you poke around, here's what you'll find (focusing on boulder-denver area):
Fed min wage is $7.25 per hour
Colorado state min wage is $12.32 / tipped $9.30 and mandatory time and a half for overtime ( I didn't know about this until making this post!)
The denver min wage is $14.77 (cpi adjusted)
Boulder's for-city-employees-program minimum is $17.42 (it pre-empted other changes and may or may not be a trend setter)
Boulder minimum for everyone else appears to be the state minimum (12.32)
Another good meterstick is the MIT living wage calculator., which seems to be updated for 2021. denver's living wage is $17.40
Boulder's living wages are $18.53

What this means is that my state is a good meterstick to judge how many times an (outdated) min wage your labor is worth. Places are playing catchup and the more information that gets out there about competitive pay the better the situation becomes.

Now, with that framework in mind, a few trends develop:
Dishwashers are in the 15-16/hr range (top end seen in the wild: 18)
Hosting are in the same range of 14-16 with a slightly lower entry, but slightly higher cap for fancy/busy places and more variance.
Line cooks are in the 18-21$/hr range with the high range being 25-28 and the cheap end being 16$/hr or so. highest in the wild - 30$/hr
Prep cooks are about the same in the 18-25$/hr range with the cheap end being 15-16$ and the high end being 20-23$ and up.
Chef positions start edging into 'salaried' range
Catering places in general have ranges, both on the outdated low end and the competitive high. (15-23 at a glance, depending on size/venue/work involved)

From a business standpoint, I think that a lot of places are looking at colorado as a measure of what positions are worth over the while industry in order to apply logic/those same ratios and metrics to local values. You should too!

Its helpful to learn to frame what your time and labor is worth in a few ways:
Is it above minimum? Is it above living? How many $ above is it? I s it behind or ahead of the curve? Is it competitive to other areas? (Wait, you mean I can touch dishes for 17/18$ and not be on the line? why would I ever take a line position for less - not counting covid risks)

But yeah. Things aren't going to get better until businesses adapt, and workers being able to negotiate speeds adoptions along.
The short version is: Start countering job offers with 'well the pay offer 3$ above minimum, how bout you do 3$ above living instead?' until businesses cut management bonuses, raise menu prices a little, and start paying people what they're worth.

As an example, in your stage of washington, its even worse/higher than in colorado: dc area min living is $19.97 while statewide is generalized at 16.34.In comparison, your living wage/cost of living in washington is higher by $1.50-$2.00 and your state min is lower by a dollar. If the worth of a dishwasher, server, host or cook is about the same to a business in another state, and you know what they make in a high-living wage state with pay transparency laws, then you can make judgements on how much pay needs to be locally before it gets interest up.

Sources/at a glance: (the 'salary estimate' dropdown button is good at a glance too as it gives positions/ranges without glancing through pages in each category). I wanted to make this a quicker post, and didnt look at baristas, liquor sales or other similiar in-industry things.

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=cook&l=Denver%2C+CO&radius=15
https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=cook&l=boulder%2C+CO&radius=15

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=dishwasher&l=boulder%2C+CO&radius=15
https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=dishwasher&l=denver%2C+CO&radius=15

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=hostess&l=denver%2C+CO&radius=15&start=10
https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=hostess&l=boulder%2C+CO&radius=15

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=line+cook&l=denver%2C+CO&radius=15
https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=line+cook&l=boulder%2C+CO&radius=15

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=prep+cook&l=denver%2C+CO&radius=15
https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=prep+cook&l=boulder%2C+CO&radius=15

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=catering&l=boulder%2Cco
https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=catering&l=denver%2Cco

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 2, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You're forgetting the simple fact that restaurant owners don't give a poo poo about any of that

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thats fair! I want to ask mainly cuz you had that great thread about the airport restaurant and think you might have some insight:

At what point do restaurant owners start to think about bringing in more hands at a better rate over paying overtime, though? Turnover, friction, burnout, losing staff.

What does it look like from the ownership/manangement side? Assuming a successful restaurant operation, anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Every restaurant I've ever worked at the keep staff levels as low as humanly possible except for times when it's super inconvinient to me.

Like trying to call me in for the Seahawks first ever Superbowl appearance at a restaurant with zero televisions when they had a total of 3 customers the year before during the Superbowl and there was another waiter already there.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

Thats fair! I want to ask mainly cuz you had that great thread about the airport restaurant and think you might have some insight:

At what point do restaurant owners start to think about bringing in more hands at a better rate over paying overtime, though? Turnover, friction, burnout, losing staff.

What does it look like from the ownership/manangement side? Assuming a successful restaurant operation, anyway.

I kept the exact amount of staff needed to run every part of the kitchen correctly and worked to increase everyone's wages to reasonable levels. Pay everyone alright and don't overwork them, and you can avoid overtime and burnout. It's crazy, who would have thought? I usually even had an extra hand in every day in case of a callout or something, and did a rotating cut schedule (if I had to cut someone because it was slow, if nobody volunteered, it was on a rotation to keep it fair).

Granted, doing this requires your place to not be a piece of poo poo that makes no money.

Edit: it was a mixture of depressing and heartening when I would hire someone and ask them what they wanted for pay, and then offer them like 4 dollars over what they asked for and they were stunned.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 2, 2021

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

You seem to have mistaken the piles of malignant tumors that own and operate restaurants for thinking humans rather than golems created out of ignorance and suffering.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sextro posted:

You seem to have mistaken the piles of malignant tumors that own and operate restaurants for thinking humans rather than golems created out of ignorance and suffering.

Exactly this. Always remember that a huge majority of restaurant owners are people who went 'I have some money, how hard can it be?' They are now either so far in over their heads that they consider labor a controllable cost to be absolutely minimized or the business has already failed and is chugging along as a zombie until the first major expense stretches the wallet past how far purveyors will extend credit.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
So the "totally chill bohemian artist" owners of our restaurant bought up a bunch of property surrounding theirs for expansion.

According to them, it's been "so difficult" dealing with the hostile tenants of the apartments they bought in the deal. One couple was so uncooperative that they just had to evict them.

They didn't think it would be this hard y'all. Being a landlord is a real burden. 😢

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What the gently caress do they actually do if after a year of COVID they apparently have enough money to expand their restaurant?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress do they actually do if after a year of COVID they apparently have enough money to expand their restaurant?

The restaurant group I most recently worked for opened 2 new restaurants since the start of the year, while the ones they already had are failing and dying. I don't get it.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Some restaurant groups serve as a tax write off and/or real estate shenanigans and the real money isn't 'profits' from the restaurant selling food. I can definitely see some very well funded operations seizing on cheap real estate and assets due to the depression. And some people just have so much loving money that this poo poo doesn't even matter.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

the price i paid for not staying past 530 on saturday is opening->closing double today into an open tomorrow

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I kept the exact amount of staff needed to run every part of the kitchen correctly and worked to increase everyone's wages to reasonable levels. Pay everyone alright and don't overwork them, and you can avoid overtime and burnout. It's crazy, who would have thought? I usually even had an extra hand in every day in case of a callout or something, and did a rotating cut schedule (if I had to cut someone because it was slow, if nobody volunteered, it was on a rotation to keep it fair).

Granted, doing this requires your place to not be a piece of poo poo that makes no money.

Edit: it was a mixture of depressing and heartening when I would hire someone and ask them what they wanted for pay, and then offer them like 4 dollars over what they asked for and they were stunned.

Everyone always says that the worker wage is the biggest factor in food prices, but isn't poorly organized inventory, like bungling orders, overpaying for produce, buying in prepped food etc. always the easiest thing to fix to reduce a huge amount of costs?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

Everyone always says that the worker wage is the biggest factor in food prices, but isn't poorly organized inventory, like bungling orders, overpaying for produce, buying in prepped food etc. always the easiest thing to fix to reduce a huge amount of costs?

Yeah, but those are more work than bitching about people for not wanting to starve to death.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but those are more work than bitching about people for not wanting to starve to death.

its all a wash since those people also buy week old produce at full price and never clean the fridge

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pentyne posted:

Yes, which is why I spent a year reworking our inventory and ordering methods and developing recipes to make everything we possibly could in house.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
In most restaurants I've been in business plan/budget labor is 30% (front and back) food is 30% / liquor COGs vary but averaged, overhead is 30% with 10% profit.

It's a weird game that changes a lot depending on what you're doing. A lot of my experience is scratch kitchens in luxury hotels where we were more seen as an amenity worth charging $499 a night for, and as long as we didn't lose a ton of money and made bank on catering they didn't care.

I've also worked at a tiny luxury boutique hotel that gave me an 11% labor budget with the expectation I'd work 10 shifts a week.

Nobody who's sane opens a restaurant without experience.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 4, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Nobody who's sane opens a restaurant

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

I've also worked at a tiny luxury boutique hotel that gave me an 11% labor budget with the expectation I'd work 10 shifts a week.

I was once offered a job running a kitchen in a steakhouse where I was told "Yeah as long as your labour is below 40% and your food cost is below about 45% nobody will bother you with questions" and that day is the day I learned that sometimes restaurants are fronts.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Skwirl posted:

Beats me, this was in the works since before the pandemic hit.

I was furloughed 3x since last March, btw.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

https://twitter.com/pnoconnor/status/1389038508866686976?s=20

Seriously it's getting bad enough that the Whataburger's dishwasher was asking how to get hired at Amazon while he handed me my 5 AM post-shift burger right next to the "Whataburger Job Fair" banner. Which is loving hilarious because at Amazon we're currently getting a fuckload of overtime to cover for the fact that at $15/hour and a guaranteed 40 hours/week we're struggling to get and keep people.

My heart would bleed for these restaurant managers/franchise owners if you could find some way to suck blood from a stone.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Curious as to why the owner isn't there flipping burgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Naelyan posted:

I was once offered a job running a kitchen in a steakhouse where I was told "Yeah as long as your labour is below 40% and your food cost is below about 45% nobody will bother you with questions" and that day is the day I learned that sometimes restaurants are fronts.

I literally work next to one. The unsealed single box of "tuna" that shows up in a random white car around 4pm every day might be a giveaway, just like the fact that their front door has been broken twice in the last six months and they have a sign in the window saying "no cash on premises overnight".