Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Super No Vacancy posted:

how to beat greedier with tainted cain

1. https://platinumgod.co.uk/bag-of-crafting/index.html is your friend.
  2. Be aware that these set recipes are not set in stone and will totally change if the item table gets updated at all, and also Kilburn has voiced that he might change how the recipes work entirely at some point, so all of this will be invalid at some point.
  3. Reset the run until the shop has a discounted 7-cent item.
  4. Break open the two treasure room items for their pickups. Take any nickels or dimes, and then if you have less than 7 cents pick up enough pennies to fix that. Leave everything else alone in case you'll need it later, though you might want to get a bomb or two to get extra coins from bombable things in the shop layout.
  5. Your first target craft is Birthright - not Steam Sale as you might assume - because Birthright massively increases the amount of pickups items create. The discounted item doesn't reduce in price with just one Steam Sale, you need two, and the Steam Sale recipe uses a lot of precious pennies. I think it's better to use the coins to keep buying the shop discount item to try and get the two soul hearts the birthright recipe calls for. This is the biggest stumbling block of this strategy, though - if you run out of money you'll need to either reset or actually play through some levels of the main room.
  6. After Birthright, buy enough items to get comfortably wealthy and then craft as many Steam Sales as you want. I make 5, which is probably overdoing it, but whatever. Then make Deep Pockets so you can get a thousand coins for convenience.
  7. Craft the Book of Shadows + 4.5 Volt, and optionally Car Battery and The Battery.
  8. Congratulations, you can now be permanently invincible, since you can recharge Book of Shadows just by damaging enemies. Now it's just a question of how powerful you want to be.
  9. It's a good idea to keep breaking apart items until you get a bone heart solely for making Rock Bottom, ensuring you'll never accidentally reduce your stats. Sadly there is no item that makes bone hearts, so you need to rely on the rare chance you'll break one out of an item.
  10. Two important items to keep in mind are Dad's Lost Coin and Mr. Dolly, as they can be used to get lucky pennies and black hearts for the hard recipes.

Here's a rough cheatsheet I made of good things to craft:

If you want to use Clicker to get completion marks for other characters, be careful because T-Isaac will crash the game if you switch to him with more than 8 items, and since clicker deletes items you don't have a lot of wiggle room. In a weird way that's actually handy - every time you go to the next floor it'll "lock in" your current status, and if you're unhappy with how a floor goes, just reroll a shop until it sells a battery, make Clicker, and click until you crash and when you reload it'll be as if you just started that floor. Note that the clicker changes your character in (mostly*) the same order every time based on the seed, so you could confirm that your target character comes before T-Isaac and then purposely crash the game to reset the floor and go about your business knowing you can switch later. There's definitely a big brain way to strategize this perfectly so you can complete Greedier mode on every single character in a single run, but boy you'd have to spend a whole day working that out.

*It seems like Clicker isn't always totally consistent with its very first usage. It might do one character but after reloading from a crash it'll skip that character. I think it always gets to a consistent pattern after the first 2, at least.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Araxxor posted:

There's actually one big problem with that strategy. You can't have Tainted Isaac unlocked if you want to safely do this. If you Clicker into Tainted Isaac with more than 8 items, the game will crash.

Also probably hold off on Greedier Mode (And Greed mode by extension) for now. They screwed up Ultra Greed's boss armor and accidentally introduced a bug where it permanently skyrockets to being 2x as effective so you're basically going to take a long time to kill it unless you're doing a breaking run.

Fortunately that's not in effect for Ultra Greedier, so if you somehow made it to that phase, you're sorta home free.

Ugh, it did feel like Ultra Greed was taking eons to beat, but he always took awhile with all but the most broken builds so I just assumed my characters were on the weak side.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Wow, sure is fun to try and unlock a tainted character but find literally no trinkets the entire time. I'm looking in every secret room, exploring every floor, but just nothing, hoping for a fortune machine... nope.

Then I find two during the ascent, when it's too late <:mad:>

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Eclipse12 posted:

Wow, sure is fun to try and unlock a tainted character but find literally no trinkets the entire time. I'm looking in every secret room, exploring every floor, but just nothing, hoping for a fortune machine... nope.

Then I find two during the ascent, when it's too late <:mad:>

:eng101: if you clear 3 floors without taking damage, the boss of the third one will always drop the Perfection trinket. Obviously easier said than done but mitigates the RNG a little.

Also, man, I had most of my Tainted Bethany completion marks before it clicked for me that Lemegton generates items based on the pool of the room you're in. At least that'll make hard mode a breeze whenever I decide to tackle it. It's pretty hard to lose when you save up a bunch of hearts to use in an angel or devil room. I also recommend spamming it in a shop until you get Chaos! at least once... you may end up with some useless items (like HP ups) usually excluded from the Lemegton pool but you can get a lot of powerful stuff you normally wouldn't, too

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My favorite part of tainted bethany runs is trying to shave off a Wiz or Ipecac (for example when you have trisagion) that's ruining your run.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

My favorite part of tainted bethany runs is trying to shave off a Wiz or Ipecac (for example when you have trisagion) that's ruining your run.

Oh yeah lol that's a lot of fun. I got really lucky in the Hush fight last run when one of his shots took out my Polyphemus; great item during a run but the tear delay is not ideal VS boss armor.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

:eng101: if you clear 3 floors without taking damage, the boss of the third one will always drop the Perfection trinket. Obviously easier said than done but mitigates the RNG a little.

Also, man, I had most of my Tainted Bethany completion marks before it clicked for me that Lemegton generates items based on the pool of the room you're in. At least that'll make hard mode a breeze whenever I decide to tackle it. It's pretty hard to lose when you save up a bunch of hearts to use in an angel or devil room. I also recommend spamming it in a shop until you get Chaos! at least once... you may end up with some useless items (like HP ups) usually excluded from the Lemegton pool but you can get a lot of powerful stuff you normally wouldn't, too

Wow, I've already got all her completion marks and consider her one of the strongest characters in the game and I didn't even realize that. Popping off 40 charges in an angel or devil room sounds fun.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Finally unlocked Mega Mush. Psy Fly is a such a huge help on Delirium.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats the best room pool to activate like an edens soul now, angel?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

In my limited experience: Planetarium is best but impossible to find. Angel is pretty good. Curse is pretty good if you've got one or two Guppy pieces already. Secret is more of a gamble, you'll probably get either something great or something useless. Devil, shop and boss are bad choices.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Finally unlocked the dang Planetarium. I wasn't even thinking about it that run but I grabbed Aries with the deck of cards and magic 8 ball and hey what do you know.

On a related note, if you can get her speed up, Aries seems very good with Tainted Maggy.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Alright I'm going to loving scream. Is there any way to know where Dogma's brimstone attack is going to go before it starts? It's ruined my Lost run several times now and to say I'm getting a bit frustrated by it is an understatement

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Pigbuster posted:

[*]It's a good idea to keep breaking apart items until you get a bone heart solely for making Rock Bottom, ensuring you'll never accidentally reduce your stats. Sadly there is no item that makes bone hearts, so you need to rely on the rare chance you'll break one out of an item.

Pop a charged Alabaster Box in a secret room, the items will create bone hearts there.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i decided to try unlocking tainted keeper and ended up beating the beast. i got extremely lucky and had swallowed penny drop on the last floor and managed to get 4.5 volt from a battery beggar or w/e they’re called. man repentance sure took keeper from a horrible slog to an engaging challenge

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Just wait until you play tainted keeper! He’s one of my favorite new characters.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Alright I'm going to loving scream. Is there any way to know where Dogma's brimstone attack is going to go before it starts? It's ruined my Lost run several times now and to say I'm getting a bit frustrated by it is an understatement

I believe it always shoots in the closest orthogonal direction to you and then starts to curve, so just stay diagonal of him when you hear the cue and you should be fine. And then you can move back and forth across that diagonal line to make him switch his directions before it curves too much.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
End of Mausoleum 1. I have Dead Cat, blank card heirophant made soul hearts everywhere, and a I have ton of items thanks to Damocles. Thus begins the wait for it to kill me...

Edit: Happened sometime in the last 90 minutes, now off to Mother.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 1, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I have just been dicked over twice in a row trying to unlock Tainted Apollyon by getting Telepills from an unidentified pill and getting dumped off into the I Am Error room post-Key Fragment while holding the Lucky Foot.

I was pretty sure the first time Telepills were already in my pool so I wasn't expecting it, but then I KNOW the second pool had already proc'd Telepills so apparently new Lucky Foot can do the same thing PhD does and have duplicate pills except now you'll never know it until you hit the button. What a way to learn.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Prop Wash posted:

Just wait until you play tainted keeper! He’s one of my favorite new characters.

yeah tainted keeper owns for sure

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Tainted Keeper is awesome but I may be the worst player as him :D.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

He's really fun but I keep forgetting how fragile he is so the only completion mark I've managed to get is Greedier, where he's just god tier.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

I have just been dicked over twice in a row trying to unlock Tainted Apollyon by getting Telepills from an unidentified pill and getting dumped off into the I Am Error room post-Key Fragment while holding the Lucky Foot.

I was pretty sure the first time Telepills were already in my pool so I wasn't expecting it, but then I KNOW the second pool had already proc'd Telepills so apparently new Lucky Foot can do the same thing PhD does and have duplicate pills except now you'll never know it until you hit the button. What a way to learn.

Never take pills. :v:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

omeg posted:

Never take pills. :v:

Alternatively, just take Pills, because even without control items they're much better then they've been for the rest of Rebirth, and 90% of the time Lucky Foot makes pill taking a no-brainer (Hemo is still in the good pool so having lots of red health can still backfire.) I don't want to even calculate the odds I had to hit to get two separate runs with duplicate Telepills in the 'good pill only' pool which lead to the first instance of the second one taking you to the Error room on one of the final floors of the ascent in back-to-back runs.

But still got the Clear and the character unlock, if on different runs, so all good for now. 4.5 volt + a Void with Plum Flute, Guppy's Head, Mr. MEEEE, and Shoop Da Woop basically recharged itself.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I take pills because in every roguelike/alike, I have to have at least one stupid loving run-ending habit I keep gambling on.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pigbuster posted:

I believe it always shoots in the closest orthogonal direction to you and then starts to curve, so just stay diagonal of him when you hear the cue and you should be fine. And then you can move back and forth across that diagonal line to make him switch his directions before it curves too much.

Coming back to this thread to blow up because I died to the brimstone AGAIN. Thank you for this- I'll give it a shot once I've cooled off a bit

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think pills are as good as they were in AB+ where you could get I'm Drowsy every other run. But they are pretty strong, you're likely to get a few stat upgrades.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I can't help it. If there's a golden pill, I have to mash taking it as fast as I possibly can until it's done.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There's also the fact that unless the pill pool gets completely diluted with awful pills for a run, or you get a curse of the maze pill, a bad pill will only smack you once where you can constantly benefit from good pills. I'd say they're at least in a far better place than Rebirth and especially Afterbirth era of pills. God I hate how AB added in so many awful pills, some of which you unlock what the gently caress.

I started playing Jacob and Esau. I think this may be my least favorite character in the history of Binding of Isaac. Neat idea, but an utterly terrible execution and they feel completely out of place in the game. I don't feel nearly the amount of disconnect from the game with Lost and pre-Repentance Keeper as I do with these janky boys. You can really tell this was part of a mod that didn't know where to stop in some places.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Honestly I came around to J+E and like them now after being initially horrified. I much prefer the J+E challenge than playing Lost vs Mother/Beast/Delirium/Hush.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Just had two amazing runs. First was azazel going for boss rush managed it then was able to get to hush the same run which my first hush kill ever. Next run as maggie got sacred heart in basement rolled from there to a first ever delirium fight where I killed him only getting hit once and melting everything else in the void.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oops

the wiki seemed to imply that if you're playing as the forgotten and one of your two halves dies, you can live as the other one until you get a thing that can revive them (like, say, buying a devil deal as the soul)

turns out either that's wrong or i did it wrong

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Good thing from my last run: It looks like the Sol bonus (full heal, full charge, damage boost for the floor) activates when you beat Dogma and enter the Beast fight, so that's pretty nice.

Bad thing from my last run: forgot to drop a trinket for a cracked key. Again. gently caress!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So many times I've gotten very close to unlocking tainted Keeper that I think I'm cursed.

This last time I had The Fool at the right time but bought the Pill Jar. It gave me two pills and deleted my Fool card.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Managed to reach the boss rush with Jacob and Esau. Run was pretty decent. Then I died because mico managing their hitboxes on top of dodging all the poo poo sucks major rear end. Playing as these two takes me out of the game more than any other character because I can barely focus on playing the game with the amount of times these two horribly desync.

flatluigi posted:

oops

the wiki seemed to imply that if you're playing as the forgotten and one of your two halves dies, you can live as the other one until you get a thing that can revive them (like, say, buying a devil deal as the soul)

turns out either that's wrong or i did it wrong

If you're doing the devil deal thing, you have to take a deal as the soul and swap right back to the forgotten as they're holding up the item.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I can beat the Beast no problem, can defeat most anything the games throws at me without too much hassle but I cannot grasp Jacob and Esau at all. If I'm lucky I make it past the heart- and the one run I got to the chest only lived that long thanks to Psy Fly doing work. I hate these bastards so much lmao

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Also I was very pleasantly surprised to hear the boss rush getting a new theme. Ridiculon's tracks are kind of hit or miss for me, especially early on in Rebirth's lifespan, but I think their later tracks are definitely a lot more consistently better. River's of Despair is definitely one of my favorite level themes from Repentance. Though I still prefer Machine in the Walls for the Mausoleum.

I wonder if it'll be possible to mod in a mix of Danny's, Mudeth's and Ridiculon's songs. I don't want to do a complete soundtrack replacement of just one of those composers.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

i really don't think dogma should be allowed to do the spin-and-dash-across-the-screen attack six loving times in a row

apparently the wiki says that's how many times in a row it does that attack and i swear sometimes it does less but i guess i'm wrong. either way, six times seems nuts for fast that attack is

edit: also i have never had an interesting apollyon run. do those even exist

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 2, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Araxxor posted:

Managed to reach the boss rush with Jacob and Esau. Run was pretty decent. Then I died because mico managing their hitboxes on top of dodging all the poo poo sucks major rear end. Playing as these two takes me out of the game more than any other character because I can barely focus on playing the game with the amount of times these two horribly desync.

yeah jacob and esau are kind of amazing because they're not fun, like, at all. And it's amazing that they come in a patch with some genuinely incredible and fascinating characters. And tainted lazarus does their gimmick but better!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

yeah jacob and esau are kind of amazing because they're not fun, like, at all. And it's amazing that they come in a patch with some genuinely incredible and fascinating characters. And tainted lazarus does their gimmick but better!
really? I think lazarus is a lot worse/weaker. The transformation effect is cool in terms of visual/noise design and how it pops but it's just a nasty resource check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I really do not care for the Holy Mantle nerf at all. It's way too easy to get double tapped as The Lost with the reduced i-frames. Especially if you get smacked by a brimstone laser. Like 2 or 4 seconds of i-frames for blocking a 1 heart or 2 heart hit was pretty ridiculous before, but did it really have to be worse than half a heart of damage?