Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

LegionAreI posted:

Is there a site that walks you though mechanics and what zones to go to at what levels etc? There is a whole lot of stuff that is opaque. I'm around 40 so I'm assuming Moria is in my future but who knows.

Quick overview of zones by level: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Zones_by_level

Keep in mind that a lot of the Angmar content was the original endgame so don't feel like you need to be a completionist there. Moria rules, go there as soon as you can and get your legendary weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Babe Magnet posted:

oh yeah, LotR has a dude just called Bard lol

so I'm doing the anniversary event now, it looks like I won't be able to buy a ton of stuff, but I'm looking at mount things. Should I buy a whole rear end mount or should I save up and buy Mount Armor which I'm assuming is used for the combat mount I get later?

I guess what I'm asking is what would I be using more? Is there any reason to go back to a regular mount once I get Battle Horse?

Horse stuff is all cosmetic for your warhorse. You're better off buying crystals of anfalas and saving them to upgrade your legendary items (or just get cool cosmetics because dressing up is just as valid as anything)

The warhorse is faster for traveling through big areas, but the code is so bad it's like steering a drifting car. You'll want a regular horse/goat for cities and towns.

Don't sweat the warhorse stuff too much. Just get a good bridle when the time comes and you'll be 99% of the way there

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Kaysette posted:

Quick overview of zones by level: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Zones_by_level

Keep in mind that a lot of the Angmar content was the original endgame so don't feel like you need to be a completionist there. Moria rules, go there as soon as you can and get your legendary weapon.

You can also just grab this plugin

https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info1138-WhereToPlay.html

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

m3talh3ad posted:

Are transfers still down if your old characters were on Silverlode?

Something gave me the itch again, so I downloaded and would love to play. I figured I'd start something new to get the swing of things again, but I would still like to dust off my ancient characters and see where the hell I left things.
I have the same question. Seems to still be down though.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Does anyone have a good strategy for managing legendary gear while levelling? I'm getting close to accessing Volume II on my "new" main; I vaguely remember feeling overwhelmed by the number of LIs that drop versus the rate at which you can get the items to the recommended item rank (30?) for deconstruction. Is it even worth worrying about ranking them up before a certain point?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Hello Sailor posted:

Does anyone have a good strategy for managing legendary gear while levelling? I'm getting close to accessing Volume II on my "new" main; I vaguely remember feeling overwhelmed by the number of LIs that drop versus the rate at which you can get the items to the recommended item rank (30?) for deconstruction. Is it even worth worrying about ranking them up before a certain point?

Pretty much just use whatever is best till 100, once you hit 100 the legendaries start to level with you, so you'll likely want to get a 1st or at least 2nd age legendary and start customizing it with traits you want for your playstyle. But until then the legendary you use or level doesn't matter much, you'll outlevel most of them before they get ranked up anyway. I'd still recommend keeping your legendary items that you are leveling filled up and then just deconstruct now an then, don't think you need to worry about waiting till a specific level to get the most out of them anymore. I usually break them down when my inventory is filling up with legendaries so I can make room.

And a bit late but for the mount question earlier, unfortunately Turbine/SSG dumped Warhorse combat the moment you leave Rohan and the warsteeds handle like a Drag Racer on an ice rink so you likely will stick with regular mounts for getting around, which sucks cause I really liked mounted combat and tried to keep using my warsteed but some of the towns have such narrow paths it is just an exercise in frustration. So if you are looking to buy mount stuff with Festival tokens I'd recommend just grabbing a regular mount if you like the skin, if not go for the legendary upgrade stuff.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LegionAreI posted:

Is there a site that walks you though mechanics and what zones to go to at what levels etc? There is a whole lot of stuff that is opaque. I'm around 40 so I'm assuming Moria is in my future but who knows.

Start Eregion as soon as you're able to (42? It's been awhile) and do the Moria intro at 45 for an extremely good reward, then go in Moria as soon as you can start the storyline and other quests there (48ish). For 40-42 I used to run Forochel but maybe there's something better now. Angmar works too but unless it got some TLC it has a ton of running around (Misty Mountains is/was worse for this).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so what's this about a brawler class coming? When is that slated to get here, with an expansion I assume? Haven't played in ages but I'm getting that lifer LotRO urge again and redownloaded. Already saw there was something about the war of three peaks for sale I could use a chunk of my funbux on, is that anything interesting or just some dwarf quests?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Brawler is likely coming with Gundabad expansion, presumably, along with a character boost.

How's Minas Morgul? $40 for an expansion that's already been superseded seems steep.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I tried to install that, but I just got scripting errors. LotRO found it, it showed up in the addons thing, but it wouldn't actually load.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Prism posted:

I tried to install that, but I just got scripting errors. LotRO found it, it showed up in the addons thing, but it wouldn't actually load.

You need to install the Turbine package thing. This thing.

https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info1064-TurbineUtilities.html

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

LegionAreI posted:

You need to install the Turbine package thing. This thing.

https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info1064-TurbineUtilities.html

That did it. Thanks!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

Brawler is likely coming with Gundabad expansion, presumably, along with a character boost.

How's Minas Morgul? $40 for an expansion that's already been superseded seems steep.

It's Mordor part two. The amount of content included is pretty huge and you'll need it to get from level 120 to 130.

- a "recollection" (timewalking, in WoW terms) of the initial invasion of Mordor at the end of the Second Age
- Ram Duath (a landscape Mordor-esque area)
- Cirith Ungol (kill spiders, kill Shelob in a raid - Remmorchant, this is currently the top end LOTRO endgame raid)
- Minas Morgul (a city the size of Minas Tirith, only full of things to kill)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also, it hasn't been superseded yet, the only things published since have been somewhat thin content packs (including one that isn't max level, Wildwood). Minas Morgul is still the final "full" expansion and will be till Gundabad comes out later this year.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Misty Mountains sure is a lot of running back and forth even for the Epic Quests.

Is 78% the highest you can get for non-warhorses?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

LegionAreI posted:

Misty Mountains sure is a lot of running back and forth even for the Epic Quests.

Is 78% the highest you can get for non-warhorses?

Yep, which is why account-level Journeyman riding skill is such a good deal. Every horse you get is max speed.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Lum_ posted:

Also, it hasn't been superseded yet, the only things published since have been somewhat thin content packs (including one that isn't max level, Wildwood). Minas Morgul is still the final "full" expansion and will be till Gundabad comes out later this year.

Ah okay. I've gotten to about 122 without the pack just by doing the epic, but it's now going through Ram Duath and I'm hitting red-level enemies.

I'll look into it! Thanks!

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Eh, I got the 68% version. $10 for that versus $30 for a 10% more boost seems unnecessary. Pretty sure my speed is already messing with aggro radiuses as is now. Ran all the way to Rivendell at lvl 20 without anything even looking at me funny.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Riding skills go on 20% sale very regularly, so wait till then in any event.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HPanda posted:

Eh, I got the 68% version. $10 for that versus $30 for a 10% more boost seems unnecessary. Pretty sure my speed is already messing with aggro radiuses as is now. Ran all the way to Rivendell at lvl 20 without anything even looking at me funny.

Now run to Rivendell as a chicken. :getin:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
This game would be so much better with level scaling and a collections tab wherein you could retrieve anything previously purchased (mounts, etc). Honestly, not having these are the only things that keep me from coming back.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Level scaling and a real group finder would be lovely, there's so much group stuff nobody does anymore because of that.

Collections tab is also sorely needed. The wardrobe is nice but I really don't get why it leaves the originals in your inventory, then since it is store stuff I don't want to toss it :(

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Based on dev interviews for DDO, you will never get those things. If they haven’t said they’re working on it then it’s at least 2.5 years out.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
It’s just silly not to introduce level scaling and a real group finder, with rewards for dungeon roulette like how FF14 does it. Setting that up would be like making one feature that gives nearly a game’s worth of dungeon content since most players probably haven’t done these things (or haven’t done them in a long time).

Only reason I can think not to would be the fear of splitting a smaller player base.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
There is a group finder in the game, but unfortunately no one actually uses it, they use the LFF chat channel instead. So it only exists to trap new people into queuing for hours.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I think in general the LOTRO community rejected the group finder, cause even when the game was more popular it was rarely used.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
previous attempts at level agnostic content like Epic Battles have not been that great, LOTRO character abilities don't scale well at all

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

LegionAreI posted:

Level scaling and a real group finder would be lovely, there's so much group stuff nobody does anymore because of that.

Collections tab is also sorely needed. The wardrobe is nice but I really don't get why it leaves the originals in your inventory, then since it is store stuff I don't want to toss it :(

Didn't they add level scaling for dungeons years ago? I remember when I leveled my Champion that I gave him a bunch of level scaled gear I picked up for him by killing dungeons in the 60s to get gear with useful stats since the older quest and set gear was terrible while places like warg pens dropped gear that had stat distributions that blew things 10 levels higher out of the water.

Skirmishes too, but like all other expansion-focused content it got neglected when the next big expansion hit.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Fried Sushi posted:

I think in general the LOTRO community rejected the group finder, cause even when the game was more popular it was rarely used.

So people would rather shout forever into the void if you aren't certain classes/trees than use a semi-convenient tool? Go figure.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

So people would rather shout forever into the void if you aren't certain classes/trees than use a semi-convenient tool? Go figure.

Personally I've barely touched it because every time it comes up in discussions, it gets pointed out that it's dead and no one uses it. I suspect it became a self-fulfilling prophecy at some point quite a while ago.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I think it was used a lot for skirmishes ages ago.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Went ahead and rolled a new char on landroval. Hopefully can connect with some folks for group content.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I picked up a bagpipe and these combat sounds own.

fenix down posted:

Went ahead and rolled a new char on landroval. Hopefully can connect with some folks for group content.

I'm always down for that. I've got a few group quests for the Barrows-Downs that I'll need to get done sooner or later.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm always down for that. I've got a few group quests for the Barrows-Downs that I'll need to get done sooner or later.
Sweet, add me. Names are Fenriks and Fitzgig. I'll usually on late in EST.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I'm usually on later EST as well just loving around leveling, add Kammiur (15 minstrel) and Saeriedhrif (33 captain)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'll see how that lines up with my schedule considering that I live in Asia Pacific, but I'll always say hi if I see anyone on in the kinship. I'm Xaph in-game, lvl 20 minstrel.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

one of these days I'll bug the people in the OP about joining the kinship, I just been mindlessly questing though

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

wow! this hobbit quest section at the beginning of evendim loving sucks!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

wow! this hobbit quest section at the beginning of evendim loving sucks!

keep it up, you'll be grinding bandits for the next 10 levels in just a little while!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

beats the other kind of lotro quest: guy in location A tells you to talk to guy in location B on the other side of the zone, who tells you go to back to guy in location A, who teleports you to location B but then makes you walk back to location A only to tell you to go to location B (because location B is near the exit to the zone).

If you're following the Book questlines (because you've over-leveled or whatever) you get hit with three of those around level 30, and could easily run around for an hour without even seeing a bandit lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 11, 2021