Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Not sure it it has been discussed already, but I just came across this video about hot sauce for coffee. The idea actually seems very logical to mee -- coffee just seems like the right kind of drink that would benefit from a kick to enhance the warming sensation in your throad & belly.

Does anyone have experience with putting hot spices, or even spices in general, into coffee? Are there any things to do or avoid in particular before I start pouring my spice rack into my cup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been putting whiskey into my morning coffee for a decade

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

Not sure it it has been discussed already, but I just came across this video about hot sauce for coffee. The idea actually seems very logical to mee -- coffee just seems like the right kind of drink that would benefit from a kick to enhance the warming sensation in your throad & belly.

Does anyone have experience with putting hot spices, or even spices in general, into coffee? Are there any things to do or avoid in particular before I start pouring my spice rack into my cup?

I saw a video from Morgan Drinks Coffee about it; there's some logic to it, I've had spicy hot chocolate and spicy tea and both of those are good. I think it'd taste much better with milk + espresso beverages than straight drip coffee but I'd have to taste it to say for sure. I do worry about it kicking my heartburn into overdrive, however.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I had a cayenne mocha at a nice café in the before times. Hated it but I should have known since I also dislike spiced hot cocoa, so my bad.

Otoh I love powdered cardamom, chocolate bitters, or chicory-pecan bitters in my coffee very much.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

I had a cayenne mocha at a nice café in the before times. Hated it but I should have known since I also dislike spiced hot cocoa, so my bad.

Otoh I love powdered cardamom, chocolate bitters, or chicory-pecan bitters in my coffee very much.

What kind of chocolate bitters do you use? I bought some sour cherry bitters recently to use in mixed drinks and seltzers and was disappointed, the overwhelming primary flavour was "alcohol" and I absolutely could not taste them in a drink

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

What brand? I've never had bitters which primarily tasted of alcohol, sure that's the primary ingredient but there should be just a domination of extracted flavor first and foremost. I wonder if it was poorly prepared or sat in a hot warehouse for a month.

My favorite is Scrappy's. Just pure chocolate flavor. Fee Brothers Aztec chocolate bitters is okay, but can muddy other subtle flavors in whatever you're using due to its inherent complexity.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

The brand is Kinsip, which looks to be a local Ontario production. It's possible it was improperly stored at the shop I bought it from, but I likely wouldn't take a chance on them again unless I could taste it first at a cocktail shop. As well I think the sour cherry flavour adds a lot of acidity that can also cover up flavours.

I'll look into seeing if I can find Scrappy's anywhere local, thanks! I think flavoured coffee is something I'd like to experiment more with.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Tippecanoe posted:

I saw a video from Morgan Drinks Coffee about it; there's some logic to it, I've had spicy hot chocolate and spicy tea and both of those are good. I think it'd taste much better with milk + espresso beverages than straight drip coffee but I'd have to taste it to say for sure. I do worry about it kicking my heartburn into overdrive, however.

That video is why I'm asking in fact; I forgot to include the link. When I did a quick Google search, the most popular-seeming variant seems to be a Morrocan blend, which countains cloves, cardamon, ginger, black pepper, and, unsurprisingly, cinnamon. The spices and coffee are brewed and extracted together. It's practically a Chai blend with the coriander skipped. Just need to convert the volumetric spice blend recipes to mass and the rest should be just a matter of tweaking.

I'm suspecting that the brewing with spices shouldn't leave permanent contamination in a manual brewer, right?

BrianBoitano posted:

Mu Zeta posted:

I've been putting whiskey into my morning coffee for a decade

Whiskey makes me gag when I just get near the smell, but bitters are a funky idea. The term refers to the often syrupy, sweet kind of liqeur, right? Lots of spices, old-timey labels, and what grandpa would have had in the cupboard? Like Jagermeister?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jagermeister is a straight up liquor.
Bitters go in cocktails in small amounts.
The one most people know are the Angostura bitters brand.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i only put whiskey in my coffee at christmas, when getting buzzed at 9:30 is practically encouraged

i'm not sure i could be pro hot sauce in coffee, because "hot sauce" is generally super acidic and i can't imagine acid in my coffee would improve the flavour. i vaguely like the idea of warming spices in a coffee beverage, though. i sort of wonder what it might be like to grind and add a pinch to my espresso pre-extraction.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cardamom if you want to go for a Turkish coffee effect.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i only put whiskey in my coffee at christmas, when getting buzzed at 9:30 is practically encouraged

i'm not sure i could be pro hot sauce in coffee, because "hot sauce" is generally super acidic and i can't imagine acid in my coffee would improve the flavour. i vaguely like the idea of warming spices in a coffee beverage, though. i sort of wonder what it might be like to grind and add a pinch to my espresso pre-extraction.

Coffee is itself acidic :science:, with most varieties having 'an average pH value of 4.85 to 5.10' (pure water is at 7.0). You are correct, though, that hot sauce is more acidic. A shelf-stable hot sauce (that doesn't need to be refrigerated) would generally have a pH of 3.4 or below.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Imagined posted:

Coffee is itself acidic :science:, with most varieties having 'an average pH value of 4.85 to 5.10' (pure water is at 7.0). You are correct, though, that hot sauce is more acidic. A shelf-stable hot sauce (that doesn't need to be refrigerated) would generally have a pH of 3.4 or below.

well-brewed coffee will be pleasantly acidic though, there's enough balance with the other flavors that it doesn't read as sour on the tongue -- i think the point is, there's basically no way you could add vinegar (or a similar ph lacto-fermented thing) without throwing that out of whack

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Sunday is my roast day.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I rotate through a number of things: nut butter (I make my own, each month is different), chocolate+speculoos, matcha green tea flavored almond milk, Saigon cinnamon, Kahlua.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So, we tried it out - clove, cardamon, cinnamon, pepper, ginger, a tiny bit of sugar. The result was funky, but not bad. It smelled like tea. All the flavors came through just fine. I think the cinnamon and cardamon were the most noticeable. I preferred it with a bit of milk. That made the spices pop more. Took a while until the brewer didn't smell of cinnamon anymore, though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lord Stimperor posted:

bitters are a funky idea. The term refers to the often syrupy, sweet kind of liqeur, right?
Liqueur is sweet + flavored liquor. One category of liqueur does have bitter as a flavor, and can be called simply bitters but that runs up against this distinction:

code:
		Bitter Digestif					Cocktail Bitters

AKA		Digestif, Amaro					Just Bitters

Size		Big bottle (375 ml+)				Little bottle with paper label

What		Liqueur with bitter notes			Alcohol-based extract, usually of spices

Usage		Neat, on ice, to settle stomach			Almost always as an ingredient
		OR as ingredient		

In cocktails	0.5+ oz, second fiddle 				Usually 1-2 dashes, though exceptions can be exciting
			or main ingredient

Examples	Campari, Amaros, Jägermeister			Angostura, Peychaud's, Aromatic

Use in coffee? 	Only very carefully				Only very carefully

Use in soda?	YES!						YES!
Basically this:

Thumposaurus posted:

Jagermeister is a straight up liquor.
Bitters go in cocktails in small amounts.
The one most people know are the Angostura bitters brand.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

So, we tried it out - clove, cardamon, cinnamon, pepper, ginger, a tiny bit of sugar. The result was funky, but not bad. It smelled like tea. All the flavors came through just fine. I think the cinnamon and cardamon were the most noticeable. I preferred it with a bit of milk. That made the spices pop more. Took a while until the brewer didn't smell of cinnamon anymore, though.

the other thing is that most spices are mainly fat-soluble compounds, hence frying them in oil prior to using them in a lot of cuisines -- water's always going to do a relatively poor job extracting all of the flavors

if you like sweet coffee, you might find better results re: spice flavor by making them into a strongly-flavored syrup like you might for a cocktail

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Imagined posted:

yes i'm aware, but extra acidity can be really unpleasant in coffee.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Sunday is my roast day.

tight, what are you roasting?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

ThirstyBuck posted:

Sunday is my roast day.

Ooh, I've wanted to get a Behmor for a while now. How do you find it? does it get real smoky indoors?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lord Stimperor posted:

That with milk in black tea was what we called yogi chai back in the day. We'd do a meditation sesh, then have yogi tea and chill.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tippecanoe posted:

Ooh, I've wanted to get a Behmor for a while now. How do you find it? does it get real smoky indoors?

not op but personally i think their insistence that this is usable (and should only be used indoors) is bad bad bad

with that said with very good extraction and placement near a window it's okay, though i'd want it to be a room that was closed off from the rest of the house personally

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 2, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Tippecanoe posted:

I like mine, but it definitely does put off some fumes. Put it near an open window and/or an air filter. preferably in the garage or something like that

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

BrianBoitano posted:

Liqueur liquor

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not a native English speaker and so I thought the liqeur/liquor was just British vs. American spelling. I'm actually quite fond of liquers, so that'll go in there sooner or later.

eke out posted:

the other thing is that most spices are mainly fat-soluble compounds, hence frying them in oil prior to using them in a lot of cuisines -- water's always going to do a relatively poor job extracting all of the flavors

if you like sweet coffee, you might find better results re: spice flavor by making them into a strongly-flavored syrup like you might for a cocktail

It's rare that I drink anything other than straight black. Never really liked those coffee syrups either. But I think I'll experiment a little and prepare my own spice mix and make something that I really like myself. Also an opportunity get a milk foamer and try out milks. I'm betting this will be really nice on a lazy Sunday, or shared on a special occassion.

Mr. Mambold posted:

That with milk in black tea was what we called yogi chai back in the day. We'd do a meditation sesh, then have yogi tea and chill.

Yeah, exactly! The Morrocan spice blend is practically Chai but without coriander, and not far off from Lebanese 7-spices as well I think. It's funny that there's a spice palette that is shared from the West Africa over the Levante all the way to India. Can't help to wonder if there is a historical link over the Silk Road or something. Neat stuff.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I’ve never roasted indoors and would never with a Behmor. It’s serviceable for what I’m doing with coffee and a step up would be very costly compared to potential gains. My main critique, and it’s minor, of it is that it can really only do 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound at a time. A full pound is almost always a disaster to roast.

I was roasting a gift for my brother in law’s b-day.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 3, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

I’ve never roasted indoors and would never with a Behmor. It’s serviceable for what I’m doing with coffee and a step up would be very costly compared to potential gains. My main critique, and it’s minor, of it is that it can really only do 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound at a time. A full pound is almost always a disaster to roast.

Image here

Image wont post for some reason. I was roasting a gift for my brother in law’s b-day.

i see this a lot and i just never agree. when i use the behmor i almost always do a full pound. it’s never an issue.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Someone threw away a brand new ember mug and I managed to snag it. Gotta admit it’s pretty handy, but there’s no way I’d pay 100 bux for one

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Didn’t the Ember use to be a lot cheaper? I don’t remember it costing more than $60 until recently.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 3, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Gunder posted:

Didn’t the Ember used to be a lot cheaper? I don’t remember it costing more than $60 until recently.

Price rose around when Hoffmann made a video about it iirc

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

The Starbucks by our hotel in Edinburgh was miles better than Starbucks I’ve had in the states, so this checks out.

Coincidentally, the only coffee I drank this past Friday-Sunday was either a roadside Starbucks or the Pike Place k-cups at my parents house. I appreciate the break in routine, because the first cup back on my home setup was amazingly good in comparison.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I tried the Ember mug for about two weeks, but the mandatory companion app is loving awful, at least the Android version. A list of some of the problems I've had:
  • Firmware update for mug kept getting stuck at 2% until I unpaired and re-paired a few times
  • At night my phone would get randomly spammed with pairing requests by the mug (isn't it already paired? why does it need to ask again?)
  • Opening the app to find that the mug has somehow unpaired itself. I needed to re-pair it almost every day (I guess that's why it kept asking)
  • Sometimes the mug will be unpaired but it won't immediately be apparent in the app, since it'll still display outdated temperature/charge info and behave as if the mug is still connected
  • Sometimes the "perfect temperature" notification would keep popping up every couple of minutes once the liquid level got low enough
The price for the mug is pretty high, but for the volume of coffee I drink, it was worth it as a luxury item—assuming that it actually worked as intended. But the companion app is so bad that, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy this mug at half the price. I can only assume that the iOS version of the app works a lot better, given Hoffmann's endorsement of the product and the overall positive sentiment I see about the mug online. I suspect there's some sort of correlation between the kind of people who would buy this mug and iPhone owners (and the general trend of app development to focus on iOS), but I don't want to distract from my main point of: the Android app is bad and greatly devalues the product overall

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

404notfound posted:

I tried the Ember mug for about two weeks, but the mandatory companion app is loving awful, at least the Android version. A list of some of the problems I've had:
  • Firmware update for mug kept getting stuck at 2% until I unpaired and re-paired a few times
  • At night my phone would get randomly spammed with pairing requests by the mug (isn't it already paired? why does it need to ask again?)
  • Opening the app to find that the mug has somehow unpaired itself. I needed to re-pair it almost every day (I guess that's why it kept asking)
  • Sometimes the mug will be unpaired but it won't immediately be apparent in the app, since it'll still display outdated temperature/charge info and behave as if the mug is still connected
  • Sometimes the "perfect temperature" notification would keep popping up every couple of minutes once the liquid level got low enough
The price for the mug is pretty high, but for the volume of coffee I drink, it was worth it as a luxury item—assuming that it actually worked as intended. But the companion app is so bad that, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy this mug at half the price. I can only assume that the iOS version of the app works a lot better, given Hoffmann's endorsement of the product and the overall positive sentiment I see about the mug online. I suspect there's some sort of correlation between the kind of people who would buy this mug and iPhone owners (and the general trend of app development to focus on iOS), but I don't want to distract from my main point of: the Android app is bad and greatly devalues the product overall

ios app seems to work ok, though occasionally i don't get the push notifications for some reason.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

404notfound posted:

Firmware update for mug kept getting stuck at 2%

New thread title

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

:hmmyes:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

yes please

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Yeah

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I was tempted by the ember, but the notion of getting push notifications from my mug just killed my enthusiasm.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It's baffling to me that you'd need an open topped mug that keeps your coffee warm instead of just drinking it. How do you make coffee and not drink it?

And $130 for it just seems absurd. Then again, Sharper Image still exists as a company.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gunder posted:

I was tempted by the ember, but the notion of getting push notifications from my mug just killed my enthusiasm.

lmao, yeah that sounds like hell to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jhet posted:

It's baffling to me that you'd need an open topped mug that keeps your coffee warm instead of just drinking it. How do you make coffee and not drink it?

And $130 for it just seems absurd. Then again, Sharper Image still exists as a company.

Doesn't a thermos solve this problem?