Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

Uncensored 96 with the Doomsday cage did the biggest PPV number in company history.

Hogan was clearly on borrowed time as a face and the fans who were going to shows increasingly tired of him, but he had been well worth his contract to that point.

Actually I think you’ll find Starrcade 97 did the biggest buyrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think I heard once that they finally managed to not lose money in 95 even if business hadn’t really blown up yet, is there anything to that?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

IIRC Business really didn't get profitable till Zane Bresloff fully took over house show promoting and WCW was touring with the Savage/Flair feud

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think I heard once that they finally managed to not lose money in 95 even if business hadn’t really blown up yet, is there anything to that?

They showed a very slight profit in 1995 which was partially due to Turner book keeping but you gotta play the game.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, wasn't the big thing that Bischoff did his job and got the creative accounting to work in WCW's favor in 1995.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, wasn't the big thing that Bischoff did his job and got the creative accounting to work in WCW's favor in 1995.

Wouldn't that be running off cuts Watts had already made?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Wouldn't that be running off cuts Watts had already made?

No, Bischoff was increasing spending dramatically which Watts wasn't allowed to do.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

No, Bischoff was increasing spending dramatically which Watts wasn't allowed to do.

Did they get any kind of decent return on the spending for music acts like Master P, Kiss, or the Misfits?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Red posted:

Did they get any kind of decent return on the spending for music acts like Master P, Kiss, or the Misfits?

Oh no. No increased ticket sales and decreased ratings on the musical interludes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Master P's posse get some ridiculous payout like $50K per appearance? Talk about nice work if you can get it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think they were paying Big Swoll something like $400k a year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1389249020900614144

oh no

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i like lash leroux’s sideburns

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How much did WCW pay for Konnan's music video and did it help at all, anywhere, with the four times a night they showed it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oil of Olay, all day erry day

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Halloween Jack posted:

Oil of Olay, all day erry day
Disco Inferno's only noteworthy contribution to the business

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Disco Inferno's only noteworthy contribution to the business

Now now, there's always the duck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4_qmZPdZcI

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde

MassRafTer posted:

They showed a very slight profit in 1995 which was partially due to Turner book keeping but you gotta play the game.

This is a topic that has always really bothered me about Bischoff's podcasts and his constant complaints that "oh we were always so wildly profitable (under me) but the drat accountants kept moving money to other divisions and so they cut us off at the knees."

I've worked in accounting at a conglomerate where there are a lot of business overlaps and transfers between divisions. In fact, the company had the exact kind of intracompany dealings he complains about. It's always SO widely known amongst everyone in the business how the real numbers work out that I find it hard to believe that accounting is even remotely a valid excuse for his relationships with corporate.

Agreed completely that "you've got to play the game" as you say. What's bothered me about bischoff is that he portrays himself as this amazing turnaround artist/ corporate warrior, but in the same breath blames the drat suits for him not having any profits he could point to.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Disco’s greatest moments are:

1) the konnan parody
2) the time he tapped out immediately in a match because if he had been hurt he couldn’t do all his dance moves
3) the time mr wonderful brutally squashed Disco for checking out his hair in Mr. Wonderful’s mirror

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

CopywrightMMXI posted:

3) the time mr wonderful brutally squashed Disco for checking out his hair in Mr. Wonderful’s mirror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Of2QC3-bpo

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

*****1/2

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Disco’s greatest moments are:

1) the konnan parody
2) the time he tapped out immediately in a match because if he had been hurt he couldn’t do all his dance moves

4) The time La Parka interrupted his entrance

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
There was also the time Madusa crashed Colonel Parker and Sherri's wedding, and during the chaos the camera panned to just catch Disco pinching a couple of champagne bottles.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Disco laying out the instructions for his leglock on the mat and the one time the cards were scrambled up and confused him.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

4) The time La Parka interrupted his entrance

god I loved La Parka

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Disco laying out the instructions for his leglock on the mat and the one time the cards were scrambled up and confused him.
Disco Inferno's Brand New Leg Hold is easily the best thing he ever did.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Didn’t Disco also come up with the idea for Jericho’s 1007 holds?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Disco sucks, but the possible trio of him, Alex Wright, and Tokyo Magnum could have been gold and they never went through with it really.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Anything with Alex Wright is gold.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Didn’t Disco also come up with the idea for Jericho’s 1007 holds?

No, Jericho got it from a Canadian wrestler named Leo Burke. He had a manager named Floyd Creechman, and when Creechman introduced Burke as the man of 1002 holds, the interviewer said "I thought he was the man of 1000 holds", Creechman deadpans and goes "He learned 2 more"

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

El Gallinero Gros posted:

No, Jericho got it from a Canadian wrestler named Leo Burke. He had a manager named Floyd Creechman, and when Creechman introduced Burke as the man of 1002 holds, the interviewer said "I thought he was the man of 1000 holds", Creechman deadpans and goes "He learned 2 more"

Floyd Creatchman. An absolute legend in the Montreal territory. Criminally underrated manager.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stab posted:

Floyd Creatchman. An absolute legend in the Montreal territory. Criminally underrated manager.

I was pretty close.

What little I've seen of Leo Burke suggests he ruled too, I know Bret Hart was a big fan of his work.

quote:

After retiring from full-time wrestling, he went to Calgary in the early 1992. His old rival and real-life friend Bret Hart arranged a position for Cormier as a trainer for the World Wrestling Federation (WWF, now World Wrestling Entertainment). Cormier helped train Ken Shamrock, Mark Henry, Adam Copeland (known as Edge in WWE), Jason Reso (known as Christian in WWE), and Andrew Martin (known as Test in WWE).[1] He also trained two former Canadian Football League players for their careers in professional wrestling: former Edmonton Eskimo Jeff Thomas, who later opened his own wrestling training school,[29][30] and former Ottawa Rough Rider Glenn Kulka, who went on to compete for the WWF.[31]

Cormier has been inducted into the Stampede Wrestling Hall of Fame.[38] In 2009, the Cormier wrestling family was honored by the Cauliflower Alley Club in recognition of their contributions to the sport.[39] Bret Hart has described Burke as "one of the greatest Canadian wrestlers ever".[40] Les Thatcher, who competed against Cormier, said that he, "technically, is probably one of the most sound performers that ever stepped foot in a ring".[41] Michel Martel, who wrestled against Cormier for several championships, called him "a great worker" and "a professional in the ring and outside the ring".[42]

I didn't know he was involved in training so many people.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 8, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

"Goldberg has a scheduled match with Disco, lays out Alex Wright beforehand, beats Disco in two moves, then beats up Mongo" sounds cool in theory but it was all done reaaal sloppy. Elsewise that would've been a top Disco moment

stab
Feb 12, 2003

I was pretty close.

What little I've seen of Leo Burke suggests he ruled too, I know Bret Hart was a big fan of his work.

I didn't know he was involved in training so many people.

The canadian pipeline for wrestling even with every single barrier the United States puts in front of them to succeed is quite astonishing in the quality and frequency of top wrestlers it churns out imo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stab posted:

The canadian pipeline for wrestling even with every single barrier the United States puts in front of them to succeed is quite astonishing in the quality and frequency of top wrestlers it churns out imo.

The large metropolitan areas (except Saskatchewan, which Stampede would run) all having major territories probably helped since the NWA wasn't shy about doing business with Canada.

Doesn’t hurt that AWA ran in Winnipeg, too. Jericho spoke warmly of going to shows as a kid.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

The large metropolitan areas (except Saskatchewan, which Stampede would run) all having major territories probably helped since the NWA wasn't shy about doing business with Canada.

Doesn’t hurt that AWA ran in Winnipeg, too. Jericho spoke warmly of going to shows as a kid.

Oh yeah Maple Leaf, Lutte Internationale, and the AWA/NWA were huge helps back then.

Now, 0% chance a Canadian wrestler can make it without having to put the time in across the border (and playing Russian Roulette on a 5 year ban).

And the Visa process? It's outrageous. 5k for the CHANCE to work in the US. American wrestlers coming to Canada? They don't need anything.

I can rant on the border bullshit for the Indys for ages, thanks for asking.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Having only vaguely heard of Burke and never heard of Creechman, this sounds like a great bit. Malenko or Jericho should have stolen it verbatim.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The theory of Disco Inferno is fantastic. The man inhabiting him, not so.

Disco Inferno's debut (and first few weeks) on Saturday Night were different. Disco was paired up against guys that jobbed every single time on syndicated TV. With little previous introduction, you thought this would be another squash. Then Disco started dancing too much, got distracted and rolled up. This repeated for a few shows.

(At least, that's my memory of how it played out.)

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

stab posted:

Oh yeah Maple Leaf, Lutte Internationale, and the AWA/NWA were huge helps back then.

Now, 0% chance a Canadian wrestler can make it without having to put the time in across the border (and playing Russian Roulette on a 5 year ban).

And the Visa process? It's outrageous. 5k for the CHANCE to work in the US. American wrestlers coming to Canada? They don't need anything.

I can rant on the border bullshit for the Indys for ages, thanks for asking.

Lance Storm seemed to have some success getting guys into WWE without much US exposure, for a while anyway. What’s he up to these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sandman McMahon posted:

Lance Storm seemed to have some success getting guys into WWE without much US exposure, for a while anyway. What’s he up to these days?

did some agenting for Impact a bit ago, closed the academy in 2019 to become a full time road agent for WWE, then got furloughed because the Canadian government wouldn't let him travel to the US during COVID, is doing some sort of online consulting for wrestling in the mean time