Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Jose posted:

what simpsons quote do you all find yourself thinking the most? mine is possible "gym? whats a gym? ohhhhh a gym" whenever i go to the gym

Whenever I see a "Baby on Board" sign I always mentally add "Something something Burt Ward."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pablo gbscobar posted:

Speaking of everyday simpsonisms, has "wallet inspector" entered the political lexicon over in the US? I never really see it memed in here or on reddit but in the UK it's pretty much become an everyday phrase when discussing current affairs/politics.

Sadly no.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jose posted:

what simpsons quote do you all find yourself thinking the most? mine is possible "gym? whats a gym? ohhhhh a gym" whenever i go to the gym

"Look in the tunk"

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

did the phrase "(X) is a land of contrasts" come from the simpsons or somewhere else

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bootleg Trunks posted:

did the phrase "(X) is a land of contrasts" come from the simpsons or somewhere else

Pretty sure "in conclusion X is a land of contrasts" is Simpsons OP do not steal

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bootleg Trunks posted:

It's how Bart ends his talk on Libya but I don't know if that's the total point of origin.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/CharlesPulliam/status/1388682608222117888

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ultrafilter posted:

That was a common phrase long before the Simpsons used it.

I never heard it before I moved to Springfield watched the Simpsons.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I have to imagine most people using it on the internet are referencing the simpsons, the phrase itself is a cliched thing to say about someplace presumed unknown to the reader, such as this bloke using it to describe America in 1898. (also Kansas in 1975, humorous as its typically used in conjunction with an "exotic" location.)

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 2, 2021

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

"Uh oh, Kwyjibo"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Jose posted:

It is now impossible for me to seriously discuss dental plans.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

It is now impossible for me to seriously discuss dental plans.

Similarly, my daughter recently got some news from the orthodontist.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The quote I use most often is "Tramampoline!". You'd be surprised how often it's relevant

simble
May 11, 2004

I use “sweet merciful crap” almost daily

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

simble posted:

I use “sweet merciful crap” almost daily

It's important to stay regular.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is the Speedway Squad bit too obvious for Disco Elysium?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Actually I think mine is "B'oh"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Du'oh

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Drink-Mix Man posted:

:annoyed brunt:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

e.pilot posted:

:annoyed brunt:

???

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bootleg Trunks posted:

It's from Das Bus, the episode in which Bart gives this speech:

"The exports of Libya are numerous in amount. One thing they export is corn, or as the Indians call it, "maize". Another famous Indian was "Crazy Horse". In conclusion, Libya is a land of contrast. Thank you."

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

https://twitter.com/ethanmeldrum_/status/1388791177822961666?s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"The exports of Libya are numerous in amount. One thing they export is corn, or as the Indians call it, "maize". Another famous Indian was "Crazy Horse". In conclusion, Libya is a land of contrast. Thank you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqz2fl9aJSM

I feel the joke is that given it's the middle of the Model UN, I imagine Bart's basically cribbing from everyone else's speeches.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

They're obvious padding phrases that people use when they're desperate to fill space, in the same vein as "Webster's dictionary defines...".

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 2, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Bug Squash posted:

They're obvious padding phrases that people use when they're desperate to fill space, in the same vein as "Webster's dictionary defines...".

In today's modern world today...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
So I says to Mabel I says

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Simpsons did not invent the phrase "a land of contrasts". Good lord.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
when I was playing thru Valheim a few weeks ago every time I clicked on the icon in my head I would say "Oh boy, Valheim! That's where im a Viking!"

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

The Simpsons did not invent the phrase "a land of contrasts". Good lord.

The Simpsons didn't invent "yes" or "that's bad" either, and yet

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The delivery on "Oh I'm not a doctor" makes it my favourite line.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

So I says to Mabel I says

Something something, Gravity Falls crossover.

Overminty posted:

The delivery on "Oh I'm not a doctor" makes it my favourite line.

The lack of elaboration really helps that. Duff Gardens either has dealt with kids drinking the 'water' from that ride more than once or just has some staffer with a bag full of pills on hand.

The Simpsons take on amusement parks is always cynical but fun. I'd go to Itchy and Scratchyland.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Oh yeah, and every time I come home from the grocery store with produce I shout "We got beets!" Even though I never buy beets.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jose posted:

"See you in hell, candy-boys!"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh man, I say " A" and " The" ALL THE TIME!

Classic Simpsons!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Doing this:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://twitter.com/cruger7/status/1387801913056546821?s=20

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Any time I have a laughing fit I say "Oh, mercy" when I'm done, because I'm a total square just like Principal Skinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Pre covid the GF and I went to Disneyland all the time and everytime we saw the monorail it would go:
Me: There's nothing on earth like a genuine, bona fide, electrified, six car monorail! What'd I say?
GF: ...
Me: *waiting for a response*
GF: ...monorail...
Me: What's it called?
GF: *sigh* monorail.
Me: that's right! Monorail!

It got so bad she said I could only do it twice max per trip.