Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

Actually just put TAZ out to the pasture, there are many far superior dnd actual plays, at the very least turn it into an improv or serialized fiction podcast

Maybe do it as one offs in live events

The correct choice. Continue putting Balance into various mediums where they can, and see if they can come up with another podcast idea that doesn’t have so much extremely talented competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sankara posted:

That made me think, why don't they bring on Clint to cover for Griffin on MBMBAM? That'd be fun. Has he ever done an episode?

He came on one MaxFun-only episode from years ago that they put out in public for a promo IIRC. He would definitely be a fun guest.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

They literally talked on the latest TTAZZ that scheduling just the four of them to get together is hard enough and that's why they don't want to take on long-term guests.

lol i'm sorry but didn't they quit Polygon to do this full time?

anyway I don't think they need to bring someone else in for inclusiveness' sake, I think they should bring in a pro to DM so they can Play In The Space without having to manage the whole drat RPG

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 2, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Clint story time would be a fun episode for sure. I liked the episode they just bullshitted the entire time and didn’t answer any questions.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pham Nuwen posted:

(I googled "d&d human" and picked this dude, who actually loving owns... look at that armor, look at that spear; spears don't get nearly enough love in RPGs)
:hai:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

:ironicat:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

Actually just put TAZ out to the pasture, there are many far superior dnd actual plays, at the very least turn it into an improv or serialized fiction podcast

Which are the best in your opinion?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Episode 1 is an interesting take on serielised fiction, the McElory's take on it could be interesting

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Chapo did advice questions last episode, so the mcelroy brothers should do an episode about matt gaetz next week

(i could settle for a whole ted cruz episode)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sinteres posted:

Dragon Friends and Rude Tales of Magic are the top tier stuff I'm my book.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Sinteres posted:

NADDPOD
Rude tales of magic
Dungeons and daddies
Dimension 20
Dragon friends

And if we’re talking better than TAZ but not really my taste things like
Critical Role
Glass Cannon

Also the problem with bringing in a competent dm is these good dms already have their own podcast so why would they do TAZ to compete with their own stuff

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...I'm legitimately surprised Cuban Pete didn't end up in this list.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Do it ironically posted:

Also the problem with bringing in a competent dm is these good dms already have their own podcast so why would they do TAZ to compete with their own stuff

that’s not really how this internet fandom stuff works

say what you will about pissing off the contingent of the internet that appears to just hate the McElroys, or that would react negatively to that sort of arrangement, but the pie isn’t yet so small/nobody’s career is yet that big that anybody in that space with any sort of following or career wouldn’t benefit more from it than be hurt from a “competing shows” standpoint.

I don’t think any notable RPG podcaster would have their shows’ ratings or metrics appreciably hurt by guesting on a show like TAZ, especially considering that it’s clearly important enough to get written about in the NYT within 120 days of people storming the US Capitol

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Regarding the other topic of this thread, BDG and Karen Han are writing for an as-yet-undisclosed television show.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope the TV show is "let's make a sitcom"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Obviously Worthikids' "Captain Yajima" got picked up by Cartoon Network and those two are writing for it, yup, that's what happened.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Griffin has been a Patreon supporter of Rude Tales of Magic from the jump. I got pwned by a deadpan Branson Reese joke

nthing RToM as the best RPG podcast. I loved Balance, but everything Reese does is just loving phenomenal.

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 14, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m hoping Brian gently caress can make a cameo in the upcoming arc. It might be neat to have folks come in and play guest NPCs or the like, assuming you keep it to a one off sort of thing. It might help address some of the “this family show of a bunch of white dudes from WV is full of white dudes” complaints. It won’t.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

I’m hoping Brian gently caress can make a cameo in the upcoming arc. It might be neat to have folks come in and play guest NPCs or the like, assuming you keep it to a one off sort of thing. It might help address some of the “this family show of a bunch of white dudes from WV is full of white dudes” complaints. It won’t.

Brian gently caress is like six different kinds of diverse, he ticks a LOT of boxes

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sankara posted:

Obviously Worthikids' "Captain Yajima" got picked up by Cartoon Network and those two are writing for it, yup, that's what happened.

honestly just waiting at this point for someone to throw money at him for that. Guy completely cracked mimicking that 1950's puppetry look in open source 3d software. + his art style is something we haven't seen in a good while. It's not just a Simpsons/Family Guy/Adventure Time/Rick and Morty lookalike.

Lord knows what he could do with a budget and more hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TJm7HkzkQ

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
Rude Tales of Magic is flat-out the greatest thing. If it vibes with you and you can spare $10 a month, you need to get on their Patreon.
Dimension 20 is fantastic. It's, like, startling how good Brennan Lee Mulligan is as a DM. They even have a very good campaign featuring the McElroys!
People seem to like Friends at the Table but I think it's a snooze-fest and the cast are all kind of bland.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manstrocity posted:

Rude Tales of Magic is flat-out the greatest thing. If it vibes with you and you can spare $10 a month, you need to get on their Patreon.
Dimension 20 is fantastic. It's, like, startling how good Brennan Lee Mulligan is as a DM. They even have a very good campaign featuring the McElroys!
People seem to like Friends at the Table but I think it's a snooze-fest and the cast are all kind of bland.

The RTOM patreon is worth the entry fee just for the vampire: the masquerade one off, which is one of the funniest things I've ever listened to

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The production values for Rude Tales was fantastic and the cast was so talented but it was almost too weird and bizarre for me. I bounced off at the Come at the King arc and never came back.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VaultAggie posted:

The production values for Rude Tales was fantastic and the cast was so talented but it was almost too weird and bizarre for me. I bounced off at the Come at the King arc and never came back.

Come at the King is a weird one, it's fully self-contained and the first thing they made remotely during the pandemic so it's pretty bumpy in places, by the time they got back to regular RTOM they're fully back in the groove but I can see how you'd fall off there

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I think a hiatus at the very least might re-energize TAZ and might honestly be a benefit to the main show as well

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Ok Comboomer posted:

that’s not really how this internet fandom stuff works

say what you will about pissing off the contingent of the internet that appears to just hate the McElroys, or that would react negatively to that sort of arrangement, but the pie isn’t yet so small/nobody’s career is yet that big that anybody in that space with any sort of following or career wouldn’t benefit more from it than be hurt from a “competing shows” standpoint.

I don’t think any notable RPG podcaster would have their shows’ ratings or metrics appreciably hurt by guesting on a show like TAZ, especially considering that it’s clearly important enough to get written about in the NYT within 120 days of people storming the US Capitol

Yeah I’m not going to disagree with you I guess what I’ll say is all these podcasters have their brand and I envision them not wanting to lessen their show (or if they bomb ruin the TAZ brand) or also say the mcelroy’s having to negotiate payment royalties to whoever they bring in, as I would imagine no one would do it for just a flat fee

It’s an interesting idea I just don’t think it would happen

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Do it ironically posted:

as I would imagine no one would do it for just a flat fee

Do podcasts have a long tail revenue stream? I thought that for an episode you would get the ad read fees, and then you also get your share of the big pot of max fun contributions. And that's it. If somebody goes back in 5 years and listens to episode 57 it helps boost your analytics to pitch to advertisers and hopefully gets more fans who would consider pledging in future, but it's not getting new money in directly.

In that kind of model a flat fee makes sense for a guest.

But maybe I'm way off base about how this works?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The World Inferno posted:

honestly just waiting at this point for someone to throw money at him for that. Guy completely cracked mimicking that 1950's puppetry look in open source 3d software. + his art style is something we haven't seen in a good while. It's not just a Simpsons/Family Guy/Adventure Time/Rick and Morty lookalike.

Lord knows what he could do with a budget and more hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TJm7HkzkQ

I had never seen this before, and within a few minutes of seeing this post, I also saw it retweeted on Twitter by Captain Disillusion. Weird.

Anyway that was very good.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fwiw it did just come out a few days ago. But yeah, worthikids is boomin as he keeps doing weird, *new*, and unique stuff.

One of the McElory's did a VO for him too! Rising star, this lad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9EMbkvLBQ

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

some plague rats posted:

The RTOM patreon is worth the entry fee just for the vampire: the masquerade one off, which is one of the funniest things I've ever listened to
Oh my god, never have I signed up for a Patreon so quickly

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Worthikids loving rules

I have nothing more relevant to say sorry. he loving rules. Ive watched Wire like thirty times

Oh, I guess I can link these animations he did for mbmbam/monster factory again though
https://youtube.com/watch?v=-IfzH9ieJYM
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UNsFdzRP-vM

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's that time of year again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtMHVLl2H3c

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Beef and Dairy Network is such a treasure.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Mike Wozniak has also been delightful in the current series of Taskmaster. And audibly horrifying.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Mike Wozniak has also been delightful in the current series of Taskmaster. And audibly horrifying.

'It's an absolute casserole down there" nearly killed me. Bless them for putting the series on youtube.

vvv I usually recommend #40: Beef Call

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 3, 2021

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If anyone hasn't listened to BADN, these two episodes are pretty stand-alone and very much get across the general vibe of the show:

A Matter of Life and Death

The Ballad of Parsnip Flendercroft

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

https://youtu.be/szqx1FTBauE

TAZ trailer drops today at 11 AM Central

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Stroop There It Is posted:

Oh my god, never have I signed up for a Patreon so quickly

Not to discourage anyone from signing up (because there's tons of other great stuff on the Patreon) but I'm pretty sure the VtM episode got put in the main feed at some point.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think we are on "I" names.

Come on intergalactic!

Really want a space themed adventure this go around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's going to be Internet

The McElroys have taken all of the criticism personally, and this time they're out for blood. E-blood.