Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Hawkeye posted:

We are fielding quotes for a mini split system to replace our baseboard heat (plus get cooling). Our electricity costs this winter sucked.

3 vendors have quoted us for an outdoor Mitsubishi 36k BTU system and two vendors have it set up so with a 4 zone system we are at exactly 36k indoor heads (15/9/6/6). One vendor has it having 39k worth of indoor units (15/9/9/6) and claims that the outdoor 36k unit actually has capacity for 46k so wanted to boost up one of the units.

Anyone have familiarity enough with Mitsubishi mini splits to know if this is true? The vendor saying that is the rep I liked the most and they have the longest lead time suggesting folks like to use them, but I wonder if I should ask to go 15/9/6/6 instead or if they are right or if this means something like don’t trust them with the job because they are overloading the system. Surprisingly they are the cheapest by around $1-2k.

The heating BTUs on a minisplit are usually higher than the cooling BTUs, I looked up a random 36K Mitsubishi and it was listed as 45K heat so that vendor is probably correct. If you are primary heating, being slightly undersized for cooling is not an issue because the odds of all the zones calling for max cool at the same time is extremely unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

MrLogan posted:

The 8kW system is $16k directly from Tesla. Let me know and I can pm you a referral code. $33k is really high for 8 kW.

Sure, that seems more reasonable and I am happy to chuck a referral bonus your way. Will see what other installers quote and then pull the trigger.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

The heating BTUs on a minisplit are usually higher than the cooling BTUs, I looked up a random 36K Mitsubishi and it was listed as 45K heat so that vendor is probably correct. If you are primary heating, being slightly undersized for cooling is not an issue because the odds of all the zones calling for max cool at the same time is extremely unlikely.

Perfect thanks. Out downstairs will rarely need lots of cooling in Seattle but the heat is the big part we care about.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Any strong opinions on water softeners? We live in a very hard water area, and our current one just isn't doing the trick anymore. Any brands/features I should be looking for? Approximate price installed?

I know some people lease them, but I assume it makes more sense to just buy it, or am I missing something?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Grumpwagon posted:

Any strong opinions on water softeners? We live in a very hard water area, and our current one just isn't doing the trick anymore. Any brands/features I should be looking for? Approximate price installed?

I know some people lease them, but I assume it makes more sense to just buy it, or am I missing something?

Oh yes... I have very very very strong opinions on water softeners. Just how hard is the water (if you don't know an appx location is fine) and is your water municipal or from a well?

edit:

Ok, trying to be short here, as I could write a couple pages about these things.

Water softeners are very basic machines. They use salt to do an ion exchange and remove calcium and magnesium from the hard water. Salt free water softeners are basically bullshit unless the system is removing he calcium and magnesium from the water somehow. I'm also not a fan of most big box store packaged water softeners. They tend to be really small sized and inefficient.

Avoid the national chain companies like Kinetico. Water softener parts are pretty basic and inexpensive. Kinetico and companies like them are selling premium service, on regular parts. Yes some people spend over 7,000 dollars on a water softener from these people. That's unneccessary.

Sizing - make sure the softener is sized appropriately for the water hardness in your area, and your usage. I oversized my softener a bit because a few times I year I have 4 to 6 guests in the house, so my water usage basically doubles. Oversizing it a bit also allows me to use less salt overall. Salt efficiency is something that needs to be considered because hauling 50 pound bags of salt from the store once a month is not fun. Better to do it every 2 or 3 months.

My advice is to find a locally owned business with good reviews in your area that sells a quality water softener made with good parts, at a fair price. If you want to DIY it to save some money I can give you some advice there as well. I strongly recommend getting a system based on a Clack valve. Other valves are fine, but Clack's are pretty much the best valve you can buy. If you call the company up, ask them what kind of valve they use, if it's not Clack, keep calling. Resin is another variable, make sure they're using a decent resin, I have 8% cross link resin.

For reference I paid appx 1800 dollars to have a 60K grain system installed at my current house. USA made Clack valve and Enpress tank, with a good warranty from a local business.

My last house I paid about 800 bucks for a 42K grain Clack system I bought online, and another 250 for the plumbers to install it, but this was in 2010 so prices have changed. Clack no longer allows online sales, so sadly this isn't an option anymore.

Target price for me, rough estimate depending on water softener size, location, etc is 1400 to 2400 dollars. Remember these are basic machines just exchanging ions as water flows through a bunch of resin beads. No snake oil or fancy sales gimmicks justify some of the pricing out there.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 30, 2021

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

skipdogg posted:

Just how hard is the water (if you don't know an appx location is fine) and is your water municipal or from a well?

You probably covered this with your extensive post (thanks!) but just in case it matters, it's municipal water in southern Wisconsin. Haven't gotten it tested here, but the water utility says it averages 24.5 grains or 420 mg/l.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Grumpwagon posted:

You probably covered this with your extensive post (thanks!) but just in case it matters, it's municipal water in southern Wisconsin. Haven't gotten it tested here, but the water utility says it averages 24.5 grains or 420 mg/l.

Wow, that's pretty hard, we have similar hardness levels around San Antonio, and we pull our water straight out of a limestone aquifer

assuming you're around Madison, this is who I would call. Clack valve, solid local small business. No idea about pricing but reviews say its fair. https://www.foxwater.com/

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Depending on your water usage, you might also be able to get by with one of the inexpensive (relatively) and ubiquitous GE units sold at HD/Lowes. As was said, water softening is not a complex process and doesn't require expensive equipment. Water softeners are also consumable (the resin beads) items, so plan on doing that every 10-15 years.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I now own a condo and expect everything to break! Moving in after a couple weeks.

The outlet in the middle is ~85" from the wall with the windows, to that'll be where a nice 3 seater couch ends. Probably this one: https://www.article.com/product/3250/sven-briar-gray-sofa

And to the left perhaps I'll find some little dining table I can use, maybe from IKEA :)

Let me know if you have any ideas for inspiration :D

For the floors, they're kinda scratched up.... I think I'm going to spring for something called a buff and recoat, that way the color won't change. Since it's engineered wood I don't really want to do a sanding...

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 1, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

There is a home show in town this weekend and went down yesterday to beat the rush and got a bunch of quotes and appointments from Solar installers. Most are in the $16-20k range without a battery so yeah Sunrun are smoking crack with a side of hoping Costco members don’t check other alternatives.

Going to go with a 8kw system and see how it goes as I can always expand it later if my power bill is still high.

Juggling this job with getting sunshades/blinds installed since the house has none right now, artificial grass in the back, misting system for the patio and a spa because my ex rugby player knees and back are reminding me I haven’t had a nice soak for a week since we left the old house.

Oh and the pile of IKEA boxes is calling to be built today.... aaaahhhgggg.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

Going to go with a 8kw system and see how it goes as I can always expand it later if my power bill is still high.

Juggling this job with getting sunshades/blinds installed since the house has none right now, artificial grass in the back, misting system for the patio and a spa because my ex rugby player knees and back are reminding me I haven’t had a nice soak for a week since we left the old house.

Expansion: Is this true with string inverters? Also check with your poco, I feel like most ppa's presume fixed size for the life of the ppa.

Blinds: blinds.com has a pretty killer deal for them to do all the work for you, it's something like $150 flat to measure and install them. Unlimited windows. I don't know if that's changed but we loved it. Some clean/professional person showed up and was in and out in no time flat. Dealt with all the trash too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Oh and the pile of IKEA boxes is calling to be built today.... aaaahhhgggg.

Truly the worst part of any visit to that giant blue box.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The second worse part is trying to dispose of the trash after.

RE solar expansion. I will ask the guys coming over to do quotes. If not then I will just up in size since I doubt I am going to bother with a battery.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
See if your city has a program for picking up bulk recycling or a place to drop it off. Here we can take cardboard and metal to some large dumpsters all weekend. It's great, you can back right up to them and unload. That just leaves the foam and such which is usually pretty minor in ikea packaging.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Any tips on painting house exteriors? Starting to scrape off all the loose lead paint chips now..

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'll likely be getting into this myself when we move in 2.5 weeks. I hate the current color (rusty reddish brown) and painting the exterior will make a huge difference.

Just looking at it, I've already got the power washer and I'll likely grab a sprayer because it seems the fastest way of getting it done.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Are you going to spray and roll, or just spray?

I'm probably just going to do it with a brush. We have a pretty small house.

Would it be an ok idea to just paint primer on the side of the house that only the lovely neighbor can see? Or maybe a mix of the discount paints they sell at ace? I am petty enough not to want to give him a pretty color to look at.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does the USPS own mailboxes and am I restricted in what I can do with mine? I've always lived in neighborhoods with a central locked mailbox for the neighborhood until now. Now our street has multiple 'old school' mailboxes on a post in a yard three doors down. There's been an increase in mail theft so I'm wondering what to consider if I was thinking about trying to get a locked version for mine. I could try and just replace mine, but it sits in front of a neighbors property, and while there's no HOA my box would be the odd one out of the traditional white rounded boxes. I'm assuming I can't just pull my box off and just install a post in front of my house. Can I just call usps and ask them to do it? I guess I would need usps approval since it might mess up their route, and property owner approval to mess with his front?

Most packages in not as worried about because boxes go to the door and we have a camera, but I'm thinking prescription meds and the like as high risk for theft.

Edit: here's an example of an existing box in our development.:

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 2, 2021

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

moana posted:

Are you going to spray and roll, or just spray?

I'm probably just going to do it with a brush. We have a pretty small house.

Would it be an ok idea to just paint primer on the side of the house that only the lovely neighbor can see? Or maybe a mix of the discount paints they sell at ace? I am petty enough not to want to give him a pretty color to look at.

Powerwash rental is a must when painting an exterior imo. Brushes and rollers will also take a long time (an eternity even depending on your siding), but sprayers will also overspray everywhere if you're not handy with them.

Also, no. Do not just put primer on the outside of your house. Do not put discount paints on the outside of your home either. High quality exterior paint only. Cheap out on paint only on a interior wall that doesn't get rained on and irradiated daily if you must.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PageMaster posted:

Does the USPS own mailboxes and am I restricted in what I can do with mine? I've always lived in neighborhoods with a central locked mailbox for the neighborhood until now. Now our street has multiple 'old school' mailboxes on a post in a yard three doors down. There's been an increase in mail theft so I'm wondering what to consider if I was thinking about trying to get a locked version for mine. I could try and just replace mine, but it sits in front of a neighbors property, and while there's no HOA my box would be the odd one out of the traditional white rounded boxes. I'm assuming I can't just pull my box off and just install a post in front of my house. Can I just call usps and ask them to do it? I guess I would need usps approval since it might mess up their route, and property owner approval to mess with his front?

Most packages in not as worried about because boxes go to the door and we have a camera, but I'm thinking prescription meds and the like as high risk for theft.

Edit: here's an example of an existing box in our development.:

You usually buy a postmaster general approved box (pretty much available at any big box store) or build your own to their specs:
https://www.usps.com/manage/mailboxes.htm

Since your neighborhood has a unique setup you should probably contact the local postmaster and ask about if it's okay to change things. That seems to be most of the advice on the page. Maybe they'll have ideas or suggestions for some kind of lockbox for packages.

It may also be worth keeping your box looking identical to everyone else's so it doesn't get any extra scrutiny from thieves, perhaps.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

Powerwash rental
Okay, cool, we're already starting with the power washing.

And okay, no just primer for the bad neighbor. As far as discount paint, I was talking the gallons of paint that get returned unused and sold for tenbux. Still ben moore, just not in a nice color. I know I'm being completely irrational here but you would understand if this guy was your neighbor.

I was planning on getting the Aura ben moore paint, is that a good choice or should I absolutely get something else or what?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

moana posted:

And okay, no just primer for the bad neighbor. As far as discount paint, I was talking the gallons of paint that get returned unused and sold for tenbux. Still ben moore, just not in a nice color. I know I'm being completely irrational here but you would understand if this guy was your neighbor.

I mean if you're making a spite house you should go all in. What is legal in your town as far as bright clashing colors? Have you considered a spite mural?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

I mean if you're making a spite house you should go all in. What is legal in your town as far as bright clashing colors? Have you considered a spite mural?

You know what you have to do.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Hmm, maybe I'll have the kids of the neighborhood come over and put their handprints up on that side, let them write whatever they want for fun so he can have something to read outside his kitchen window to remind him of the children.

He hates children.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

moana posted:

Hmm, maybe I'll have the kids of the neighborhood come over and put their handprints up on that side, let them write whatever they want for fun so he can have something to read outside his kitchen window to remind him of the children.

He hates children.

Hah. I mentioned your deep need for a spite house to my wife and she suggested inviting all the neighborhood children over and letting them go nuts.

I feel like you know what has to happen.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you definitely should buy all the least appealing leftovers you can get at the store and let the kids go at it

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you own a condo where the HOA is responsible for the exterior walls who is generally responsible if bees find an opening in the exterior stucco and begin building a hive?

So continues my speedrun of home ownership issues

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Step 1: 30 minutes of me trying to fix pipes, screaming multiple times
Step 2: I give up and text the plumber.
<Literally 15 seconds>
Step 3: Pipes come together

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yikes, is the hive completely enclosed in the stucco?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

BlackMK4 posted:

If you own a condo where the HOA is responsible for the exterior walls who is generally responsible if bees find an opening in the exterior stucco and begin building a hive?

So continues my speedrun of home ownership issues

Not sure where you're at, but I rented a townhouse in California a few years back that had rodents inside the walls. My understanding is that the HOA took care of it. But I would check your HOA bylaws before you go calling an exterminator.

Also, if they're honeybees, call a beekeeper, not an exterminator. Honeybees are friends.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

moana posted:

Yikes, is the hive completely enclosed in the stucco?

Yeah, I have a 3 story unit with 10ft ceilings so this is roughly 30ft up. I suspect that they were displaced by a storm last week as I'm pretty observant and just noticed them a few days ago.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Not sure where you're at, but I rented a townhouse in California a few years back that had rodents inside the walls. My understanding is that the HOA took care of it. But I would check your HOA bylaws before you go calling an exterminator.

Also, if they're honeybees, call a beekeeper, not an exterminator. Honeybees are friends.

Sounds like a plan, I'll give the HOA a call tomorrow and see what they say. They are for sure honey bees and I think this kind of thing is fairly common in Arizona. It doesn't seem too expensive (relative) to deal with either way.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

There is a goon in South America who has a swarm of bees return to his house every year and he harvests the honey. Clearly you are missing a truck by not doing the same.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, I have a 3 story unit with 10ft ceilings so this is roughly 30ft up. I suspect that they were displaced by a storm last week as I'm pretty observant and just noticed them a few days ago.

Sounds like a plan, I'll give the HOA a call tomorrow and see what they say. They are for sure honey bees and I think this kind of thing is fairly common in Arizona. It doesn't seem too expensive (relative) to deal with either way.

If they're honeybees, then they probably are cheap to remove, they are after all a significant source of income for beekeepers. Some hobbyists/NPOs may even do it for a donation. The keepers are experts and they will also be very gentle in their collection and rehoming of the swarm. You're doing a good thing.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

BlackMK4 posted:

My parents dealt with a couple beehives in the walls - one was was particularly bad because they got in pretty deep due to faulty chimney flashing and honey started seeping into the sheetrock and running down the wall. Parents called the beekeeper and were cool with him cutting into the house to get the hive because they are into saving the bees, but the beekeeper determined that they were Africanized bees rather than native honeybees so they got exterminated.

But yeah, always go to the beekeeper first to check if they are native honeybees (which should always be relocated instead of exterminated).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Unlikely, it's probably just a swarm. This is the time of year for swarming since hives outgrow their previous holes and split.

Also, swarms are free to remove if they are on your tree or eaves. Those are easy peasy swarms to collect. Inside stucco, you're gonna have a hell of a lot more work to do. 30 feet up and inside stucco? Yeesh, good luck!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

moana posted:

Unlikely, it's probably just a swarm. This is the time of year for swarming since hives outgrow their previous holes and split.

Also, swarms are free to remove if they are on your tree or eaves. Those are easy peasy swarms to collect. Inside stucco, you're gonna have a hell of a lot more work to do. 30 feet up and inside stucco? Yeesh, good luck!

Yeah, even if they vacuum them out then you've got honey and wax and larvae up there. Some beekeepers will do "cut-outs" but they'll charge for that and then you've also got to get the repairs done to the stucco for the cut-out. This is generally a clear hoa expense.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Queen Victorian posted:

But yeah, always go to the beekeeper first to check if they are native honeybees (which should always be relocated instead of exterminated).

Assuming you're in the US, honeybees aren't native. They might also be part of the problems that our wild bees are facing.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Assuming you're in the US, honeybees aren't native. They might also be part of the problems that our wild bees are facing.

Ah right. Then the naturalized friendly honeybees that don't chase you a quarter mile before stinging you to death. I think my mom must have described them as native.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
I need to seal the grout in my new shower and bathroom tiles but I’m not sure what the best option is. Do I go with aerosol sealant or do I get a brush and sealant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, even if they vacuum them out then you've got honey and wax and larvae up there. Some beekeepers will do "cut-outs" but they'll charge for that and then you've also got to get the repairs done to the stucco for the cut-out. This is generally a clear hoa expense.

It sounds significantly cheaper to cut the drywall and patch it, but then it's not the HOA's problem!