Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Harrow posted:

I dunno if the DSC is all that worth it for the Virgil fight unless you're using a lot of monsters and only a couple humans, or if you're just already using a martial artist.

If you just want to pass the battle and you don't care about getting the two-turn achievement, you can do that pretty easily by just buying some Sonic Blasters and Water Cannons for four humans/mystics. They all combo with each other so you can just do a couple combinations of like 4x Sonic Blaster, 4x Water Cannon, maybe throw in a Dark Sphere if someone has it, you'll get through no problem. And if you do want the achievement, make sure Riki has Water Cannon as one of his learned abilities, then do 5x Water Cannon on one turn, then replace one Water Cannon with a Sonic Blaster or Dark Sphere on the next turn and you're set.

This would have worked for me except I tried out my planned 5x combos ahead of time and so Virgil wouldn't accept it and I had to settle for winning with three 4x combos :v:

Just going and buying a few heavy weapons is a lot less effort than learning DSC unless you were using a martial artist and were gonna try to learn it anyway.

I mean, they basically hand you Fei-on on a silver platter, and it's a lot less effort to learn DSC than it is to get Riki (or any monster) in good enough shape for the end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Immunsire if something got fixed under the hood or I was just 100% ready for the bullshit but Rikis endgame seemed much less horrible than before.

Still terrible. I hate those slimes, even Mariche form was too slow to put speed them. Had to use thief ring to survive it even with the comet blade millionaire oneshotting them.

The spike room seemed to have more forgiving sensitivity, but still bullshit to evev get ON it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finished Asellus's scenario this morning, with all the new content. Turns out? Still the best.

Just Blue left to go and that'll be all seven down. It'll be the first time I've fully completed SaGa Frontier and I don't even feel like I'm done yet. Probably gonna do at least a couple scenarios a second time once I'm done with Fuse, maybe with NG+ carrying over everything including battle rank. And then at least a couple variations on the Fuse boss rush, of course.

After that maybe I'll finally play Romancing SaGa 3 for the first time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The new content in Asellus’s scenario is extremely good for both her character and world-building. It’s also nice that those two areas get used for legitimate plot. Plus more Dr. Nutsack is objectively better.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I probably shouldn't share my real Twitter but Shadow Servant + Spray of Life is way too sick and I had to take a clip

https://twitter.com/oh_jeez_oh_man/status/1388536352719859712?s=20

Also Mirrorshade is really good, huh? Back when I was a kid I rarely used Mystic spells other than like Glass Shield, but Mirrorshade helped keep Asellus's Shadow Servant alive for the entire battle.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 1, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the last remnant remaster is $10 on ps4 atm

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

RS2/RS3/Scarlet Grace are as well because of golden week sales on every platform besides mobile - switch/ps4/steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/606370/Romancing_SaGa_2/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/952540/Romancing_SaGa_3/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/686720/SaGa_SCARLET_GRACE_AMBITIONS/

play scarlet grace, it's a good game

ArkOfTurus
Apr 23, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

Immunsire if something got fixed under the hood or I was just 100% ready for the bullshit but Rikis endgame seemed much less horrible than before.

Still terrible. I hate those slimes, even Mariche form was too slow to put speed them. Had to use thief ring to survive it even with the comet blade millionaire oneshotting them.

The spike room seemed to have more forgiving sensitivity, but still bullshit to evev get ON it.

One of the things listed as part of the additional elements is "battle adjustments to Riki's storyline." I don't know if what actually changed is documented anywhere, but they might have made it less horrible!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Picked up TLR again after a long break and was almost immediately reminded of just how much I absolutely loathe Botched as a mechanic

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I just finished Fuse after Riki.

I didn't feel like leveling up people to fight so just Scrap shopped up a mech front line.

That... well, it worked. After like 10 tries which probably took as much time as it'd be to grind up a human fighting force.

Harmonium equipment was a must.

And even then? I was 1 LP away from game over because some of the drat adds kept attacking fuse who was just tossing items.

e: now the question is, who should I start next? Emilia and Riki are done. The only thing I'd restrict is that I want to do Blue last.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 1, 2021

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The worst part about the Vergil fight back in the day (mostly pre gamefaqs if I remember) was that the official strategy guide made no mention of how the combo system work. I don't even think it offered any advice for what was the hardest fight in the game (and a general system mechanic). It did explain Takonomics though, so that's something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Asellus and Red actually knowing each other prior to their respective storylines is cool. That Red mentions her playing with him when he was little sounds like she probably babysat him considering their age difference.

GrandpaPants posted:

The worst part about the Vergil fight back in the day (mostly pre gamefaqs if I remember) was that the official strategy guide made no mention of how the combo system work. I don't even think it offered any advice for what was the hardest fight in the game (and a general system mechanic). It did explain Takonomics though, so that's something.

The strategy guide was borderline worthless. It had a lot of enemy (and pretty much all boss) hp/stats wrong and I think the only useful information it actually provided was Takonomics.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The maps were pretty good and it also mentioned what you needed to do to get the DSC. Well, what arts you needed to unlock it. No mention on how to spark them optimally though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm still very slowly progressing through Asellus's route. I'm now in the right tomb to progress the Rune quest. I think. Instead of rune bullshit a super-sayan mystic was suddenly waiting on the other side of a random door, bragging about how he absorbed enough other mystics, his power level was now over 9000.

Narrator: His power level still wasn't high enough.

I'm sincerely hoping that guy was the last teleporting assassin, though at least he was the smartest: None of the others thought ahead and waited until I've lost half of my JP/WP deep inside a dungeon before they teleported in to get schooled

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Asellus and Red actually knowing each other prior to their respective storylines is cool. That Red mentions her playing with him when he was little sounds like she probably babysat him considering their age difference.

Yeah I thought that was great. I also liked the backstory in Fuse's Asellus case file with Asellus's disappearance being why Fuse became a detective. It's good poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah they talk about that in the mobile game.

It's also mentionned in the 100 mysteries of SaGa Frontier. She was going to deliver a book to Red's dad residence when she got run over by Orlouge.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I just had Alkaiser learn suplex on the fight with Schuzer, which was the last thing I needed to DSC.

"Can you hurt your dad?"

Yup.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Finished Asellus' route. That took somewhat longer than T260G and *a lot* longer than Blue! It was a good time though. She's incredibly strong and Mesarthim rules too.

I am running though Riki's now. I have no idea how monsters work and my eyes glazed over quickly when I tried to read a guide, but I lucked into making him a Kraken what felt like absurdly early so he's having fun spamming Maelstrom.

...as a skeleton now because I kept absorbing and he eventually downgraded, oops.

What are some good single target moves to go for Monster-wise? Maelstrom kills packs but he doesn't have much to add against beefy boys.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Finally got Fei-on in my T260 playthrough and he's popping high level techs like Triple Dragon and Gilded Hand almost immediately.

Is the reason he didn't join my Emelia playthrough because my party was full when I approached him in Tanzer?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xalidur posted:

Finished Asellus' route. That took somewhat longer than T260G and *a lot* longer than Blue! It was a good time though. She's incredibly strong and Mesarthim rules too.

I am running though Riki's now. I have no idea how monsters work and my eyes glazed over quickly when I tried to read a guide, but I lucked into making him a Kraken what felt like absurdly early so he's having fun spamming Maelstrom.

...as a skeleton now because I kept absorbing and he eventually downgraded, oops.

What are some good single target moves to go for Monster-wise? Maelstrom kills packs but he doesn't have much to add against beefy boys.

The best single target monster skills are usually going to be one of Shockwave, Gryphon Scratch, Dagger Jaw, and Mighty Cyclone.

Mike_V posted:

Finally got Fei-on in my T260 playthrough and he's popping high level techs like Triple Dragon and Gilded Hand almost immediately.

Is the reason he didn't join my Emelia playthrough because my party was full when I approached him in Tanzer?

There's no party limit in the remaster. You get him if you if agree you want to help him protect the castaways in the Tanzer. And he is one of the best Martial Artists in the game.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Omnicrom posted:

The best single target monster skills are usually going to be one of Shockwave, Gryphon Scratch, Dagger Jaw, and Mighty Cyclone.

There's no party limit in the remaster. You get him if you if agree you want to help him protect the castaways in the Tanzer. And he is one of the best Martial Artists in the game.

Come to think of it, maybe I declined helping him at first with Emelia since I thought I could recruit Nomad and thought it'd be cooler to have a criminal in my party

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Mike_V posted:

Come to think of it, maybe I declined helping him at first with Emelia since I thought I could recruit Nomad and thought it'd be cooler to have a criminal in my party

It would be so much cooler if you could get Nomad in your party.

Fei-On:
  • Disappointment to his girlfriend
  • Told his bodyguard to stop cussing
  • Isn't even that good at learning the DSC
  • Gets dunked on by rude suburban teens in Shrike
Meanwhile, Nomad:
  • Survives like half the games protagonists teaming up to take her down, plus BlackX blowing her ship up, plus also Tanzer's... uhh... heart? chewing on her (presumably)
  • Probably lets her crew swear all they want
  • Has a squadron of platypuses (platypii?) at her command
  • Doesn't get any backhanded compliments on her hair

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Xalidur posted:

One of the consistently good single target skills for monsters is Shockwave. You can get it relatively early on, as a number of undead (including basic skeletons) have a chance of giving it to you (along with skeleton knights in Sei's tomb, scroptions, Axe beaks, and other monsters). For later game, there's Griffin Scratch which comes from Black Dragons but is a huge pain to get. The only repeatable easy(ish) to access sources are in Mosperiburg for the Shield card or the dragon enemy in Furdo's workshop. Griffin can also give it, but the only one that exists is in Asellus's scenario, and you're much better off letting a mystic absorb it for the +25 to all stats.

There aren't any single target moves that reach the heights of human/mystic abilities, unfortunately.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Nomad:
  • Has a squadron of platypuses (platypii?) at her command

A platoon.

Also in Nomad's favor, the HD sprites show that it looks like she juts her leg out in front of her like Final Fantasy Arylon, the Dancer and "HELLO FELLOW HUMAN AREN'T LEGS GREAT FOR US NONMERMAIDS???" the regular human in Onrac or wherever she was.

e: going through past posts.

My cousin!

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 3, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blue glimmered Spray of Life before Roufas did and I have no idea what's going on anymore

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Update: Blue has learned the DSC, because why the hell not

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Could you theoretically brute force Gen into an overpowered mage if you really wanted to?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Could you theoretically brute force Gen into an overpowered mage if you really wanted to?

Yep. The main difference between human characters is what they start with and how easily they can grow certain stats/learn certain abilities. If you're willing to put in the effort, any human can do any potential role.

I generally think Blue makes a really good hybrid especially because, for reasons specific to his scenario, it's fully impossible to make him a bad mage. You just can't do it. He's going to be an incredible mage by the end of his scenario no matter what you do. So hey, might as well make him good at multiple things if the magic is handed to you on a silver platter, right? (This is also wholly unnecessary because a pure mage Blue is already one of the strongest characters in the entire game.)

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Hey thread I popped in a few pages back and got some help with T260g's start, and I wanted to report back that I'm pretty solidly into the game. I didn't realize the junk prizes I was getting in the arena can be turned into actual equipment by Ser Uncle Taco.

I'm finally playing the sequel to Final Fantasy Legends 2 I've wanted for 25 years, cheers thread!!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think I'd love to play the FFLs again if they didn't have the awkward translations I remember them having when playing them on emulator like two decade ago

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Do character stats and skills carry over between stories? Like if I leveled Lute up in Red's story would he still be that strong in his?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Draga posted:

Do character stats and skills carry over between stories? Like if I leveled Lute up in Red's story would he still be that strong in his?

If you choose to carry it over, yes. There's an NG+ feature in the remaster that lets you carry things over between playthroughs, and it gives you pretty granular control over what you want to carry over.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think I'd love to play the FFLs again if they didn't have the awkward translations I remember them having when playing them on emulator like two decade ago

The switch collection is pretty good imho.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Did we ever get confirmation on whether or not they fixed all of Emilia's costumes in the remaster?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Finished Red. For being completely fascinated by SaGa on a technical and nostalgia level that is actually the first SaGa scenario I've ever finished.

If I want to do Asellus last and Riki in the next couple to firmly lodge him during a point that sunk cost will make him slightly more attractive, who should I do next and what party members should I juice in prep for Riki?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
For Riki party members Gen, Fei-On, and I suppose you can double dip on protagonists and buff up Emilia/Lute?

The devs recommended doing either Red or Emilia's story first, so if you don't have any strong feelings might as well do Emilia's.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

Finished Red. For being completely fascinated by SaGa on a technical and nostalgia level that is actually the first SaGa scenario I've ever finished.

If I want to do Asellus last and Riki in the next couple to firmly lodge him during a point that sunk cost will make him slightly more attractive, who should I do next and what party members should I juice in prep for Riki?

If you want more open-ended than Red, Blue is a pretty good time. Plus you get another overpowered protagonist. Either that or Emilia, for a shorter but still fairly directed scenario that'll follow pretty well off of Red's.

As for party members to juice up for Riki's scenario, I gotta be honest, I don't know how much it'll help. Fact is that Riki's scenario is like 80-85% totally normal and in fact pretty fun, and then the things that make the end of it suck are the kinds of things that raw power can't really help you with. That said, Riki is one of the few characters who gets Dr. Nusakan, who Blue also gets, so you can beef him up in preparation. Riki also gets Gen early on, and if you do T260G before Riki, that's a good opportunity to make Gen a powerhouse (which honestly doesn't take much effort, Gen rules). (You can recruit Gen with anyone but he's a major supporting character for T260G so that's when I used him on my NG+ chain.)

Also I imagine other people have different opinions, but I've been enjoying doing each character's Fuse case file right after their scenario. It always feels like a fun coda. So if you want to NG+ into Fuse's case file for Red, now is a fun time to do that IMO. I've been doing scenario -> NG+ into Fuse -> NG+ that into the next scenario -> back to Fuse -> etc.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 3, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

If you don't want to help stop the illegal banana trade in Edo I'm not sure you're a true FFL2 fan. :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It was surprisingly easy to teach Blue drat near all the sword skills and the DSC, but wow this guy's got garbage Strength growth, huh? The mechanics guide on GameFAQs claims he has the same Strength growth as Lute but it really seems like Lute gained Strength a lot more easily.

Either way, hybrid Blue is a good time. The ability to have a combination of Solar Blade, Shadow Servant, Overdrive, and really, really strong physical attacks is entirely unique to endgame Blue and really fun to play with. He'll have to give up the Overdrive part of that combo on NG+ but having a turbo-mage with DSC is still going to be great for the Fuse boss rushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
T260 down, only Lute, Asellus, and Red left, probably in that order. Then Fuse, of course