Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

beep by grandpa posted:

I know that I am a complete nutcase cause I've never played Drakengard 3 but have consumed all of its cutscenes thru youtube and all I really want to do is play its final, final ending verse (yes, THAT one) for myself because I found that whole sequence to be breathtakingly beautiful. Idk what it is but that whole final sequence, bullshit and all, is a complete unironic work of art to me :shobon:

The final part is one of the craziest things I've ever experienced in a game. Spoilers for Drakengard 3 Getting to the ending of a nearly 7 minute long rhythm game just to gently caress up a button press that occurs during the loving black screen with no prompt is something that I had occur several times. Nothing ever made me work harder in a game before that and it made the fallout hurt that much more being so filled with adreneline as it all falls apart. It's a lot more effective to me because unlike the original game it just, has a human element and some tragedy I can care about whereas D1 is just kind of a slap in the face and pointless nihilism it seemed.

Oh yeah Drakengard 3 also produced two of my favourite songs ever. The final sequence and This Silence is Mine are amazing compositions. I cannot ever get the vocals out of my head whenever I hear the game mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SAC4KWQg2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

beep by grandpa posted:

I know that I am a complete nutcase cause I've never played Drakengard 3 but have consumed all of its cutscenes thru youtube and all I really want to do is play its final, final ending verse (yes, THAT one) for myself because I found that whole sequence to be breathtakingly beautiful. Idk what it is but that whole final sequence, bullshit and all, is a complete unironic work of art to me :shobon:

It's definitely one of the most memorable moments of the Drakenier games, up there with ending E of Automata. The bullshit is an inseparable part of what makes it what it is.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Got through the A route and finished all sidequests and most upgrade grinding (just need a ton of Titanium Alloys, Large Gears, Fluorite, Damascus Steel and Memory Alloys).

I'm already loving Route B but I'm a little sad that I'm not playing as Kaine, just hearing the dialog between her and her shade and also seeing her memories

The end of Part A was very :stare: and I have so many questions but I imagine they'll get answered in time.

edit: gently caress forlorn necklaces

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 2, 2021

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I actually kinda liked Drakengard 2's idea of trying to rehabilitate Manah from her awful cultist indoctrination. Her character design was pretty cool too. I feel like if it had been made with Yoko Taro's current sensibilities, she could have been the protagonist.

For Nier Replicant remake: Just a Yes or No please, but does the remake incorporate any online functionalities into the new content like Automata did? I've been having trouble connecting my PS4 to the internet so I'd like to know in advance if I might miss out on anything.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Cephas posted:

I actually kinda liked Drakengard 2's idea of trying to rehabilitate Manah from her awful cultist indoctrination. Her character design was pretty cool too. I feel like if it had been made with Yoko Taro's current sensibilities, she could have been the protagonist.

For Nier Replicant remake: Just a Yes or No please, but does the remake incorporate any online functionalities into the new content like Automata did? I've been having trouble connecting my PS4 to the internet so I'd like to know in advance if I might miss out on anything.

No

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Currently missing out on 3% of the quests and it's driving me a little crazy because the only quests left are the ones Devola refuses to tell me about

I know I haven't done the one with the shade in the village, but I also can't get that one to spawn, but I have a sneaking suspicion there's one more as well. I just can't find them.

(it's not shadows in the desert or the sidequests in Emil's mansion, either, I already did those.)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The last two I did before hitting 100% were ones Devola never told me about - one I got from the king of facade (that tough one a goon was struggling with a page ago) and the other some random dork in forest of myth

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I've been trying to garden on the PS4, and I'm aware that adjusting the system clock as normal doesn't work for some godforsaken reason. So I've been trying adjusting the timezone from -11:00 to +13:00, like everyone said, and that makes the flowers bloom, but not die. Can I not go any further than this without just waiting irl? I've followed every guide I can find and tried manipulating both the clock and timezone, and I can't get past the flowering phase no matter what.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BisbyWorl posted:

To give an idea about how bad it is, the protagonist is an 18 year old anime prettyboy.

Dreadful. Awful. Anyway back to Nier: Replicant v1.22694201337...

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Beefstew posted:

I've been trying to garden on the PS4, and I'm aware that adjusting the system clock as normal doesn't work for some godforsaken reason. So I've been trying adjusting the timezone from -11:00 to +13:00, like everyone said, and that makes the flowers bloom, but not die. Can I not go any further than this without just waiting irl? I've followed every guide I can find and tried manipulating both the clock and timezone, and I can't get past the flowering phase no matter what.

Also no, you can’t, the timezone skips 24 hours at most and the flowers die after 48

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Beefstew posted:

Flowers bloom after 24 hours, and die 24 hours after that. You cannot go farther ahead than one day at a time on PS4.

That said, given that you can see what color they are when they bloom, you can essentially save-scum to ensure you get a hybrid every day. (IE: plant at -11, check them at +13, close without saving, switch back to -11, and tear up/replant any seeds that didn't crossbreed - the color is set the instant you put the seed in the ground)

Slightly tedious, yes, but it's not like you weren't going to be playing it for multiple days in a row anyways, right?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Something I noticed in my many runs through Shadowlord castle is in the second battle with Devola and Popola, during the first phase of the fight against Delova, Popola just stands around in the background for a while and eventually starts powering up Devola by doing some really cool dance numbers in the back. I really enjoyed watching her dancing - she has a ton of different moves! And I think the start of her dancing may be timed to only start with the vocal tracks kick in to the fight, but I'd need to go back and try it again. Really cool!

This rules so much and on my recent run I basically took the fight as slow as possible to see how many different moves she goes through

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished Ending D. Don't think that I've ever been this unable to old back tears due to a video game before :smith:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
AHHHH I can't believe the remaster made the worst quest EVEN WORSE.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

goblin week posted:

Dreadful. Awful. Anyway back to Nier: Replicant v1.22694201337...

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Drakengard 2 does get pretty weird later on but in a more conventional way, the biggest problem is you have to play through the whole game multiple times to get the rest of the story, unlike 1&3 where you just did the different stages once you unlocked them. Also there's no stage select which sucks if you want all the weapons.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 2, 2021

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
2 just doesn't seem to have the sauce

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

2 has some decent bits here and there but it’s not a very good or interesting story overall.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I know the improved Nier Replicant is right there, but Drakengard 3 is my favorite entry in the series, warts and all. It runs and looks bad but anyone who likes Yoko Taro's writing owes it to themselves to experience Zero and Mikhail's relationship.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

D3 probably deserves a remaster too, honestly. It’s so batshit.

I remember trying to piece together the overarching story of that game and just :psyboom:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

D3 probably deserves a remaster too, honestly. It’s so batshit.

I remember trying to piece together the overarching story of that game and just :psyboom:

This is probably the best overview of how Drakengard and Nier link together. It was down for a while after the original poster deleted all their stuff but someone has rehosted it. Mega spoiler warning, obviously.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I’ve been refreshing myself on all the lore, D3 in particular was just hilariously hosed up back in 2013 or whenever it came out.

vv :allears:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 2, 2021

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Drakengard 2 is the worst game I've ever finished (the main story, once, there's no way I'd do the rest). Don't let anyone convince you there's anything decent to be found there other then like one cutscene you can watch on youtube. Late game it has some pretty cool designed enemies, but these were later outdone entirely by later games, so there's no reason to go back to this one.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
How does Kaine jump like a hundred feet in the air anyway

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Magic.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just cracked myself up thinking about the 2 dozen Mutton, Venison, 99 screws, 99 bolts and other misc items my dude has been weirdly carrying around in his pockets for 5 years and imagining (Full ending D spoilers) everything just hitting the floor like a dead character dropping all their loot in Minecraft the second he saves Kaine

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Drakengard 3 is the only PS3 game I have where they decided to use the PS4 blue color scheme on the boxart. Is that just Yoko Taro being a master troll?

That was the standard packaging for late ps3 games for a bit, though looking up P5 PS3 it looks like it reverted even later so it's a bit of Sony America weirdness there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Went back to the forest of myth for the first time in act 2 and gotta say, "Well, this place is gloomy as hell." would be a great thread title.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

goblin week posted:

How does Kaine jump like a hundred feet in the air anyway

Clothes just hold you back. Strip down and see how high you can jump all of a sudden!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm guessing the shipwreck thing is the new content people have mentioned? It was cool bit sort of odd - the boss and the narrative surrounding it felt like something that would come at the culmination of a long story, but the whole thing lasted 25 minutes tops.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Okay, so I'm crazy and I'm embarking on the quest to actually get the Lunar Tear. I know all about what/how to crossbreed stuff, but I was wondering if it's okay to replant stuff as soon as you see the flowers bloom? Like right now I've planted alternating gold and red flowers and the one on the very end came up peach. Can I just discard the other four patches and replant them for another shot at cross pollination, or should I be waiting until all of them have withered and produced seeds first?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Okay, so I'm crazy and I'm embarking on the quest to actually get the Lunar Tear. I know all about what/how to crossbreed stuff, but I was wondering if it's okay to replant stuff as soon as you see the flowers bloom? Like right now I've planted alternating gold and red flowers and the one on the very end came up peach. Can I just discard the other four patches and replant them for another shot at cross pollination, or should I be waiting until all of them have withered and produced seeds first?

You can if you want, if you’re going to min-max planting make sure you replace each plant as you go rather than ripping them all up then planting the new ones because apparently it’ll roll for the crossbreed immediately when it goes in the ground, so having the other colours still there to be picked up increases the odds straight away.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Welp ending E of Automata is hosed for me on Xbox. Just never asks if I want help.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Welp ending E of Automata is hosed for me on Xbox. Just never asks if I want help.

I assume you know this but just in case: you have to lose several times before the prompt comes up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Midjack posted:

I assume you know this but just in case: you have to lose several times before the prompt comes up.

Yeah I lost like a dozen times. No messages or prompt. Hard reset the console and that fixed it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

:toot:

Now I can just play through the story. Although I think I need the 15 Nightmares weapons to get all weapons, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

axeil posted:

:toot:

Now I can just play through the story. Although I think I need the 15 Nightmares weapons to get all weapons, right?

I don't really follow trophies but if you want all the weapons in the game you need to do that and also get ALL the endings because there's one weapon that only unlocks after the for-real final ending.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Suffering chills and total body ache after moderna #2 yesterday and I gotta say lying on the couch wishing for death seems like a good time for some nier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The very last weapon doesn't count for 100%, you do need all the original DLC weapons and the ending B one though.