Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dead Reckoning posted:

There is no reason to make Angela experience discomfort at being thwarted in any particular time loop, because this entire elaborate hell we've built was constructed for the purpose of giving Angela and X a nigh-infinite number of attempts to get it right. She cannot give up or leave the building or even stop following the script, so there is no reason to make iterating unpleasant for her. In fact, infinite patience seems far better for such a role.

I agree with your ultimate statement here, and navigating through the previous paragraphs and my own thoughts on the matter tossed me into several philosophical areas that I know only vaguely if at all. Nihilism, solipsism, and Plato's Cave were involved, and I can't really claim a solid grasp of any of those topics. But I think we're at odds over the definition of AI in this universe. Since AI is considered dangerous enough to legislate against, I was considering we're in a True AI scenario, which are completely capable of emotions (or simulating emotions well enough to be high-functioning psychopaths) and deviating from their original purpose. If Angela wasn't any more advanced than a self-driving car or autonomous delivery drone, she wouldn't be worthy of the big deal that's been made of her. If we assume Angela to be a True AI, the fact that she has not yet given up or deviated from the script implies she personally believes in A's goal.

Also a significant amount of statements in my post were exploring the possibilities or half in jest, and further in that vein, I can think of a dozen tumblr posts off the top of my head of people personifying their electronics and feeling empathy for them, so maybe you just don't like your truck that much. :colbert:

Mecha_Face posted:

To be fair, the Foundation isn’t about making good, lasting change. The lore behind the SCP Foundation reveals it to be actually one of the villains of the setting, interested only in researching said things for how they can benefit the Foundation. Protecting humanity is, really, a secondary concern that just happens to be a side effect of hoarding as many abnos as they can. The only “good guys” in the setting are the GoC and Portland, and the former is more of the “we’re doing the best we can but we still need to perform atrocities now and then, also we hate the Foundation for being evil bastards but we need them because we literally cannot do this ourselves” variety, so. Portland is just Portland, amazing as it is in all the right and wrong ways.
The GOC are very much the bad guys. They're gooder than the other bad guys, but they're still bad enough to just destroy any anomaly no matter its danger or utility. See SCP-1609, The Remains of a Chair for an example. Originally it was a comfy chair that would teleport behind someone that needed to sit down. The GOC threw it in a woodchipper, and now it's a cloud of splinters that teleports inside you when you startle it.

Also there is no SCP canon, just individual writers and whatever they feel like including from other writers.

Dead Reckoning posted:

That sort of implies it's OK to do atrocities if you're doing them to make the world a better place.
It is. Mind you, I'm the type who answers the three main Trolley Problem questions with "Of course I pull the lever/push the other guy/jump, why is this even a question that needs to be asked?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

That sort of implies it's OK to do atrocities if you're doing them to make the world a better place.

LobCorp has been posing that conundrum from the very beginning.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Now that we're safely at the end:

we absolutely are not and at least one thing in here is directly contradicted by the part of the text we've already seen

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Tenebrais posted:

LobCorp has been posing that conundrum from the very beginning.

There are resources for One Sin in the game files called "OneBadHundredGood" and "OneGoodHundredBad". Take whatever you wish from that.

Bonus:
* Daat background without filter. It is actually grass and not green slime Cogito, like I thought before.
* Spritesheets for Big Bird and Melting Love. Yes, those are assembled and animated in real-time.

I was talking about technical debt and legacy code and how it influenced code quality, and there is a lot of unreferenced resources too! I won't post them, in case TQ wants to talk about cut content, but there are complete spritesheets and animations for 2 abnormalities and texts for those 2 + 1 more, not to mentions remnants of old UI, different work types and old spritesheets for the time when Sephiroth were rendered using same system as other entities.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
If it was never implemented, go for it. Worst case scenario I pile it into a relevant post and give you a shout out for it-cut content isn't really something I heavily researched when doing this LP and my experience with the code is basically entirely secondhand.

I'm also going to steal that Da'at background, I have the ones for each of the story sections for 46-50 already, but I didn't have that yet. :eyepop:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Abnormality Roundup 12

Normally this is where I talk about my feelings on how the facility is doing, but that's sort of no longer an issue. Instead, I have a silly contest to announce the winners of: the Retry Count guessing game. Let's see where the Retry Count wound up as of the end of day 50.

Retry count: 17

Yes, that does mean that day 47, 48, and 49 were all clean 1st tries for me. I did keep swearing I was good at this game. :v: Anyways, that means our winners are…

Nanimani, Maigius, Sage Grimm, minutepiratebug, ConfusedPig, and azren

Congratulations to all six of you on your :frogsiren:ULTIMATE BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!:frogsiren:

Crumbling Armor

Crumbling Armor looks like a good early-game Justice trainer, but in practice this will lock earlygame Agents out of training their Temperance and make their lives more difficult. It actually works best as an Fortitude trainer for any Agent with 2+ Fortitude, and since its E.G.O gift is unquestionably the best in its slot for Agents who prioritize Justice over anything else it's a good plan to have Agents who are done with training work Repression on it to get the guaranteed gift drop.

Between this, its inability to ever breach, and its early game Pale damage weapon Crumbling Armor makes for a solid pick for any facility-at worst taking only 1 extra LOB to make an Agent have Fortitude 2 to handle it.

Der Freischütz

Once we've either Suppressed Hod or gotten a basic Justice trainer to get our Justice up to 3, Der Shooty here is nothing but a benefit to any facility. His GUN ability allows us to remove Clerks quickly and cheaply before we get Execution Bullets, his Black damage type lets us train efficiently using any of his 3 available work types, and his weapon and suit are great for making a single Agent into a solo operative capable of dealing with Amber Dusk by themselves. His E.G.O gift is also one I value highly for its high Justice boost and the impeccable taste of having a pipe. There's very few reasons not to take this particularly nice Abnormality, and the only situation where I pass him over is when there's something else I want more, like a Bird or WhiteNight.

Beauty and the Beast

Remember way back at the start, everything I said about 1.76 MHz being a great Justice and Prudence trainer? Beauty and the Beast is the same, only rather than letting us pick between focusing one or the other it basically forces us to consistently go back and forth between them. Because I prefer being able to focus on Justice in the early game, this makes it slightly worse in my opinion. Still, it can't breach and it gives out far better gear than 1.76 MHz so there are upsides to taking it. Either one is good in the early game for getting our Agents' Justice stat up and running.

You're Bald...

All Bald Agents working with You're Bald… get an 85% boost to their Work Success rate.

You're Bald… is a meme and I love it. :allears:

Old Lady

Old Lady is a very demanding Abnormality, as any time an Agent enters a containment cell while she isn't being worked her QC will decrease by 1. At 0 she's mostly harmless, though, so this makes her overall a very safe Abnormality to keep around. She deals White damage, making her a good Insight trainer, and her Attachment rates can be helpful for getting a new agent up to Temperance 2 or 3 quickly. The biggest selling point for Old Lady, though, is going to be her E.G.O weapon. It's a White damage gun, which can be invaluable when dealing with Wander-type panics in the early game. She's not very threatening, so there's little reason to avoid picking her if the alternatives are things that pose a higher risk.

Fragment of the Universe

Fragment of the Universe's Black damage type and good Attachment rates make it the hands-down best Temperance trainer in the early game. Its damage type can be a problem for Agents in the basic suit, but even equipping Penitence from One Sin is enough to make it a relatively safe work. On top of this it's a relatively nonthreatening breach for Hod's early missions, its Spear is one of the earliest sources of Black damage in the game, and Spears as a whole are generally very good weapons between attacking fast and having decent range. Moreover, a 0.6x Black multiplier on its suit is excellent up until we start regularly handling WAW Abnormalities, and can work fine even with most of those.

I was actually hoping for Fragment relatively early on in the run, but we didn't happen to run into it until it was well past the point where I'd grab it. Still, it's a solid pick.

Schadenfreude

Once we know Schadenfreude's trick, it serves a singular purpose in the facility: boosting our Agents's Justice stat into the stratosphere. It's very good at this trick, as it's got one of the best success rates for Repression work in the entire HE level. On top of that, its E.G.O suit is well-rounded and has a 1.5x Pale resistance with an additional defensive bonus to help break into working Judgment Bird. It also breaches for Hod/Gebura's missions, and is a completely free suppression so long as we just look away.

The hardest part of Schadenfreude is figuring out the initial gimmick behind it, once we've done that it's pure profit. It's really that simple.

The Lady Facing the Wall

Due to how the work success rates are calculated, that Attachment number ensures that each box has a 95% chance of success. Setting that aside, The Lady Facing the Wall is… interesting. She's a decent Justice trainer to get up to 3, which is where we want to be for things like Der Shooty, but other than that her numbers aren't great for her damage type. Her QC decreasing on Attachment works also means that any low-powered Agents and Clerks in her department are doomed if we go for her best work type. Her jumpscare is nowhere near as bad as it used to be back in the beta, though, so that's really the only penalty.

Her weapon is a HE-level ranged White weapon, which sounds good until it's been equipped on an Agent with less than Fortitude & Prudence 3 and it makes them panic. Once we've finished Hod's suppression it's remarkably solid, though, and more ranged White damage is never bad. Overall she's a fairly safe pick since even at her worst she's doing mostly chip damage to our Agents-she's only really dangerous when she goes off and panics a bunch of Clerks while we have CRA's in the facility.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 10, 2021

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
First to brag about my E.G.O. gift given by the abnormality TeeQueue, due to them being too drat good at this game. :v:

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Dareon posted:

The GOC are very much the bad guys. They're gooder than the other bad guys, but they're still bad enough to just destroy any anomaly no matter its danger or utility. See SCP-1609, The Remains of a Chair for an example. Originally it was a comfy chair that would teleport behind someone that needed to sit down. The GOC threw it in a woodchipper, and now it's a cloud of splinters that teleports inside you when you startle it.

Also there is no SCP canon, just individual writers and whatever they feel like including from other writers.

I'm aware of these things, yes. I put quotation marks around good guys for a reason.

Anyway, I loved Fragment of the Universe when I played what little of this game I did... It's just so adorable.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Some abno stories are so charming, it always feels like seeing an old friend when they pop up :allears:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Dead Reckoning posted:

There is no reason to make Angela experience discomfort at being thwarted in any particular time loop, because this entire elaborate hell we've built was constructed for the purpose of giving Angela and X a nigh-infinite number of attempts to get it right. She cannot give up or leave the building or even stop following the script, so there is no reason to make iterating unpleasant for her. In fact, infinite patience seems far better for such a role.
We are very fortunate that A is a reasonable person.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Seconding the point that things are not over, and we have not seen enough to continue that AI conversation yet.

I'll have some thoughts as TeeQueue continues with Abnormalities; the design is really top-notch in this area of the game, especially, and that's actually amazing given that there needs to be enough routine in handling them in play that the game functions, while enough variety and special exceptions that you can't simply proceed blithely. That game experience also helps with immersion because you're going through the same thing the employees are (except for all the dying), assuming you don't get spoiled or spoil yourself on the individual mechanics.

Some thoughts on this last batch of Abnormalities, who we really didn't get to see spotlighted in the ways the earlier ones were:
Crumbling Armor: In the later game, you really appreciate having this one, as it never breaches and is easy to manage. Early game, you think it's awful because it has multiple instant-death circumstances, one from working it (with Fort 1) and a second from doing the wrong kind of work with ANY abnormality after receiving its gift. Later on, after all the other kinds of things you have to manage, you'll find this mild and you'll really appreciate the EGO gift. The sword is also extremely useful until you start getting ALEPH weapons or large numbers of effective WAW weapons, and the armor is pretty good too.

Der Shooty: If anything, TeeQueue is underselling Der Shooty. Highly productive for working of all sorts. The armor is great, and the EGO gift and armor boost the weapon. The gun is both extremely effective, and will get you into trouble, because it doesn't actually spell out that friendly fire is possible and you can easily grab whoever is equipped with it and include them in a deathball, which will rapidly take on a new meaning. Shooty's very easy-going in terms of his Q-Counter, too, so he's a reliable worker.

Beauty and the Beast: Another instadeath abnormality that can lead you to being leery about using it. Not as useful as the armor, but fine.

You're Bald: TeeQueue didn't mention the EGO weapon and armor. Tough is only good in the early game, but it's plenty good, and you can get lots of it. The gun is white damage, fast, and long range; the armor provides .8 protection against Black damage, which is harder to come by at Teth level. You have to be bald to equip them, but there's an easy way to arrange that...

Old Lady: Fantastic. The EGO gift is useful early on, the gun highly useful, and while she's a bit tricky to manage, the cost of failing is relatively small. Even if you slip up and send someone in to get Solituded, the damage from the effect takes long enough that you can deploy some other employees if you think somebody is going to panic as a result of it. In the later game, once you no longer need to train new employees up to Level 3, you can simply ignore her. Also, when you're first playing and see her in her cell for the first time, you're likely to be more worried than is justified, so that's fun.

Fragment of the Universe: Yeah, you're probably going to be a bit worried when you first see this guy, too. He looks far worse than he actually is. Bit of an overlap in function with Old Lady.

Schadenfreude: This guy is the one Abnormality I spoiled myself on deliberately, because you can't get any details about him if you watch the work, but he's a big puppy-dog once you know how he works. Easy to make him breach, and easy to determine when he's attacking or not, so I suspect there may be ways to use him to kill clerks or even fight Ordeals or other Abnormalities for you, though it probably isn't worth the effort as he's not especially deadly.

The Lady Facing the Wall: The jumpscare isn't just visual; she also shrieks at you.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Oh poo poo, forgot I put that in as my Discord name, not my SA name. Not good at names in general, but I like Nanimani way more than this.

Regardless, behold! Bask in awe at my ability to accurately predict how many times a really good player will need to restart to finish Lobotomy Corporation! This is in no way me simply getting lucky with a guess!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I tip my hat to all those with glorious bragging rights, and can only despair that TeeQueue wasn't bad enough to get Nice fails.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Yeah! I am not at all bitter about TQ abandoning his plan to do day 49 with no deaths and skewing my guess considerably (they said bitterly, with a bitter expression)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I was definitely the furthest off, but in my defence, TeeQueue didn't have that kickass head of disciplinary at that point.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I am both impressed and sad that so few people died, taking care not to get people killed is not quite the mindset I had when I lets played X-Com Apocalypse, another game with agents slowly trying to grow in skill in dangerous and unpredictable environments and a very good series for audience participation (especially with my employee turnover rate).

A finely executed lets play and fine handling of the game as well! Even when I thought I had seriously kickass Party lineups, the later days/suppression of the game caused me oh so many retries.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Also, because I forgot to do so previously: thank you for the LP and thank you for showing off this game. It's absolutely incredible and I'm extremely grateful that I got to experience it - because I know for a fact that my dumb rear end couldn't have handled playing it myself.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Mecha_Face posted:

I'm aware of these things, yes. I put quotation marks around good guys for a reason.

Anyway, I loved Fragment of the Universe when I played what little of this game I did... It's just so adorable.

the closest to a good guy group in the SCP setting are the Serpent's Hand, and even then they're basically cultists of an (admittedly relatively benign) Elder God

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Architecture Team Bonus Content

Team description + Agent bonuses

Captain bonus: All stats +7
*Architecture team has no Clerks, and thus no Clerk bonus

Team armband

Abel sprite

Abram sprite

Adam sprite

Ayin sprite

Carmen sprite

Angela sprite

Assorted story backgrounds
Day 46

Day 47

Day 48

Day 49

Day 50

Standard Angela background

Carmen Memories background

Hokma Beach

Da'at background (Thanks Miinipaa)

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Thank you for this fantastic playthrough of a great game (that I would have quit after 2 hours because I'm too much of a wimp)!

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Angela eyes contain a built-in targetting system.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ride's not totally over but this has still been an excellent LP and while it may feel like blind, undeserved luck, finding your niche quickly is fantastic and there's no need to be embarrassed at the praise you get for it. Thanks for all the hard work you've put in, it's been a lot of fun.

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
Da'at is a modification of the image in Carmen's Memories. It feels like that's important. This friggin' game!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

da'at background tho

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

I completely failed to notice this the first time, but it's great how literally everyone, including turbo-murderer Binah, is there.

Except for Angela.

Ayin really doesn't think of her as more than a somewhat sophisticated coffee maker, huh. I mean, it was clear he didn't consider her on par with a human before, but this is basically his innermost self not even acknowledging she exists. The cactus would have been more likely to show up in there.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I completely failed to notice this the first time, but it's great how literally everyone, including turbo-murderer Binah, is there.

Except for Angela.

Ayin really doesn't think of her as more than a somewhat sophisticated coffee maker, huh. I mean, it was clear he didn't consider her on par with a human before, but this is basically his innermost self not even acknowledging she exists. The cactus would have been more likely to show up in there.

I think it's because these portraits are specifically of those people who became Sephirot. Notice that Carmen is also missing, and everyone apparently loved her. Angela just isn't a Sephirah, so she's not included.

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021

Epicmissingno posted:

I think it's because these portraits are specifically of those people who became Sephirot. Notice that Carmen is also missing, and everyone apparently loved her. Angela just isn't a Sephirah, so she's not included.

Yeah, they're meant to be the parts of the tree of life, i.e. the names of the Sephirot.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Carmen was a prominent part of A's final challenges against himself and his demons. When was the last time we've even seen Angela?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Prior to the arrival of the Architecture department, I believe. Assuming the person in those mysterious "cutscenes" wasn't her, though I suppose we still didn't see her in those.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Day 45 was the last time we saw Angela, wishing us success before we left for the Kether suppressions. Looking back at that story segment it is super-obvious that she knows well that was her final part in the script.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Materant posted:

Day 45 was the last time we saw Angela, wishing us success before we left for the Kether suppressions. Looking back at that story segment it is super-obvious that she knows well that was her final part in the script.

Until the manager restarts and she takes it from the top again. :v:

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Does that mean Angela was the only AI in a video game that may have wanted to kill us but didn't even try to?

I... I don't know what's true anymore.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I saw someone in a completely different place talking about how they seemed to remember the queen of hatred breaching in her magical girl form and helping suppress other abnormalities if you had a bad enough breach going on. Is that something that changed or are they mixing up abnormalities?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

cokerpilot posted:

I saw someone in a completely different place talking about how they seemed to remember the queen of hatred breaching in her magical girl form and helping suppress other abnormalities if you had a bad enough breach going on. Is that something that changed or are they mixing up abnormalities?

She can indeed breach in her magical girl form to help out if the danger level rises to level 2, but in that case she might also transform into her snake form if too many people die.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cokerpilot posted:

She can help at warning level 2 if she's in a good mood and her QC isn't too low.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Queen of Hatred is actually quite strong and can beat most WAWs and a 2 ALEPHs (Mountain of Smiling Bodies and Melting Love) by her lonesome.

But if you hear Warning 2 then your facility is hosed and she is likely gonna transform into a snake anyhow. :v:

SITB fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 2, 2021

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does she measure up against the breaching forms of the other magical girls, out of curiosity? Are there any special interactions there?

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

How does she measure up against the breaching forms of the other magical girls, out of curiosity? Are there any special interactions there?

QoH does have actual unique interactions with the other magical girls, but I don't know if TeeQueue wants to cover it in a Better Call Paul segment.

QoH can win against King Of Greed most of the time if she is positioned right, but she can also lose if she isn't, Knight of Despair absolutely demolishes QoH though.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's nice thematically speaking, but it's too narrow a band for most people to see. You have to be doing badly enough to get to Warning Level 2 naturally, and then you also at the same time have to be handling her properly so she's not the one causing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Keldulas posted:

It's nice thematically speaking, but it's too narrow a band for most people to see. You have to be doing badly enough to get to Warning Level 2 naturally, and then you also at the same time have to be handling her properly so she's not the one causing it.

OTOH, without spoilers everyone "does badly enough" their first time encountering Violet Noon.