Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I believe this is from before Cornette went full nutjob and started monetizing how stupid he is. But it's still not a great card. And c'mon. Do you really gotta book yourself to get Dusty DQ'd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I believe the gimmick of the interview was 'all time WCW vs WWF invasion.'

The results are still hilariously awful and full of worked shoot nonsense, because he's very bad at booking, and his idea of what 'normal fans' want is hysterically wrong. But I think he was specifically asked to book a Hogan vs Dusty kind of invasion.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

thats not it he just wanted to book all the wcw dinosaurs because hes friends with them

he also wanted benoit and regal to have a worked shoot in the ring

the mans a gosh darn dingus

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was Smoky Mountain traditionally considered to have good booking? I know they went the route of Continental and I'm sure many others and killed interest by not paying off stipulation matches and all which is probably my answer.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Was Smoky Mountain traditionally considered to have good booking? I know they went the route of Continental and I'm sure many others and killed interest by not paying off stipulation matches and all which is probably my answer.

Cornette knew how to draw heat with his fan base at least

Reminder that part of that is leaning into the incredible racism of the region of the time with the Gangstas, but hey, it worked, rite

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rotinaj posted:

Cornette knew how to draw heat with his fan base at least

Reminder that part of that is leaning into the incredible racism of the region of the time with the Gangstas, but hey, it worked, rite

In the long term, it didn't work - advertisers and sponsors wanted NOTHING to do with the Gangstas and they got "go away" heat on spot shows because New Jack was being, well, New Jack. It did get them into ECW, though.

Cornette's main problem as a booker is that he tries to fit people into ideas instead of generating ideas based on who he has to work with. When poo poo backfires, he can't adjust and freaks out.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
...can these people just...get a hobby or something?

(Plus I tweeted about it six months ago and it's been in my bio ever since.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Yes it was. Smoky Mountain as a pretty innovative promotion for its time.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

It's complicated.

He absolutely booked some quality stuff, especially the three-way Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. Heavenly Bodies vs. Stud Stable feud, Ron Wright's run as Dirty White Boy's manager, and even Buddy Landel's babyface turn (the qualifier being because it was late in the run as Jim burnt out). He also went back on too many stipulations (the match where Tammy Sytch would be stripped nude and Ricky Morton losing a hair vs. Tammy's hair match to Candido where Candido got shaved being the most famous examples), he recycled a LOT of Memphis and Mid-South angles (albeit ones that hadn't been done in east Tennessee before), he didn't seem to have a great grasp of the region, anyway (both in terms of the rural mountain folk and the much more liberal city-dwellers), and when he started burning out, he burnt out badly. When he turned back heel in the spring of 1995, for example, to lead "The Militia" as General Jim Cornette, it was Eddie Gilbert in ECW level awkward Jerry Lawler cosplay, playing off Lawler's run in 1976 as General Jerry (and Danny Davis's run in 1979 as Sgt. Danny Davis where he managed the Blonde Bombers against Lawler).

This is without even getting into how there are very legitimate reasons to believe that The Gangstas gimmick was conceived entirely out of spite. This is the next to last paragraph of the infamous Cornette letter to the Torch about the riot at an SMW show at a college gym in Wise, Virginia (emphasis mine):

"Everyone seems to agree, though, that had racial slurs not been used, there would not have been a riot." BULLSHIT! If one security guard hadn't thought his job description included getting up in the heels' faces, pushing them around, and trying to look big in front of his friends, there wouldn't have been a riot. If this same student hadn't been allowed back in after being ejected to stir up more trouble, there wouldn't have been a riot. Racial slurs were not used to start the fight OR to get heat from the fans, they were used in the heat of an argument already in progress. If the guy had been a fat white man, I'd have called him a "fat, lardass bastard," but nobody would have written about it. I'm not a politician or a member of congress, so I don't HAVE to have a "stance on social issues," and I have enough problems of my own without minding everybody else's business, too. SMW has NEVER used one single angle based on anybody's race to try to draw a house, but you wouldn't know that by reading the Torch. If I decide to do one, you know what? I'll do it if I want to if I think it will draw.

Two and a half months later, New Jack works the undercard of a combined SMW/NGWA show in Marietta, Georgia. Two and a half months after THAT, the Gangstas gimmick was tested out on another combined SMW/NGWA show in Marietta. Five to six weeks after that, the Gangstas debuted in SMW proper.

All of that said: There's a LOT worth watching in SMW and all of the TV is easy to find on YouTube in excellent quality. Some stuff doesn't age well, of course, with the Confederate battle flag stuff being the most obvious, but there's a lot of good there. And if you've never seen it before, the best and most different stuff (especially everything Ron Wright did) is something you will probably enjoy.

But you should probably try to watch Continental stuff first.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I had no idea about that riot

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh, is that where that whole thing about Cornette dropping n-bombs comes from?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I had no idea about that riot
We did a BTS talking about the fallout: https://redcircle.com/shows/f0ecb959-5108-4c52-b3e7-2d9f28e5847a/episodes/373bf8fa-ebeb-4f4b-8d39-5f82f7a884f2

It caused the Cornette/Wade Keller heat even though Wade literally did nothing wrong. It's well worth reading Wade's original Torch story about the riot because the sourcing is unusually bulletproof by wrestling reporting standards and pretty drat well-sourced by mainstream standards. I'd have to pull it back up to get the specifics, but he cited law enforcement spokespeople, named SMW sources including Brian Hildebrand, fan witnesses, and newspaper reporting on top of there being one or two anonymous SMW sources. (Though he didn't get comment from Cornette by deadline, he made his best efforts to try.) Even the arguable most contentious part of the story, it being characterized as a "race riot," was clearly outlined as being something that a cop on the scene said when radioing for assistance. It certainly *feels* like it's as simple as Cornette feeling Wade was enough of a friend (SMW merchandise catalogs had been sent out to the Torch mailing list earlier that year) that he didn't like him covering such an ugly SMW story.

In the last decade or two, Jim has claimed that the relationship went south because Wade ran a story saying SMW would be going out of business soon long before that was in the immediate future. I've never found a trace of such a story existing, but if you look up the various "Jim Cornette on Wade Keller" YouTube videos, that's his story in them. In actuality, it was probably a combination of the Wise fallout, his blowup with K.C. O'Connor (who had written for the Torch and was close with Bruce Mitchell), and Bruce Mitchell's Gangstas column several weeks before the K.C. thing. (Specifically, in trying to make a point about how the gimmick was problematic, he asked if the Gangstas would start bringing out chained up white women as their "hoes," specifically naming two women involved with SMW, including Jim's then-girlfriend, to hammer the point home. Bruce has always sworn that he got their permission beforehand, presumably with an assist from K.C. since he was working in the office.)

Vagabundo posted:

Oh, is that where that whole thing about Cornette dropping n-bombs comes from?
Yes. And though he's said a lot of lovely things since, he did seem genuine when he said a few years ago that he understood now that his reasoning in 1993 (that once he and the other guy were in a "cuss fight" he had to say the most hurtful thing possible) was stupid and he knows that no white person should ever use that word for any reason.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 1, 2021

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Shockingly, Cornette misses the plot again. https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/n30bxn/im_currently_convinced_the_plane_ride_from_hell/

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Just ribs, harmless ribs.

Almost falling out a plane at 20,000 feet? A merry old jape.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Attempting to sexually assault two flight attendants is just boys being boys.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cornette's problem often seems to be that he can't get past that mental roadblock of "I did stuff like that, so that can't be bad because then I'm bad."

But if Dark Side of the Ring went to the actual flight crew victims for that episode instead of just talking to wrestlers than kudos to them. That's the absolute right way to do it and right people in the story. Its also to the heart of Cornette's problem, that just because this stuff is normal for your insular society doesn't mean your society's not hosed up.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The heart of Cornette's problem is that he's a racist, hateful, misogynistic piece of poo poo who is still mentally trapped in the times where that was a way you could still get away with being with minimal pushback.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Cornette's problem often seems to be that he can't get past that mental roadblock of "I did stuff like that, so that can't be bad because then I'm bad."

This is literally the reason why anyone with lovely views or behaviour doubles down. "That thing can't be racist, because I like/did thing, so that'd make me racist and racists are Bad People and I'm not a Bad Person".

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I've always assumed he has some sort of terminal wrestling brain. He's poisoned himself so much that he really can only see the world through the lens of wrestling and everything is these big weird broad stroke stereotypes. To me that's why so many of his opinions revolve around what an xyz wrestler looks like. He has no problems with anyone, as long as you fit into the narrow definitions of what you should be like in his head.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It’s always funny to watch Cornette stick to the mentality that the way it was done in 1987 was the way it could only be done when people of his same era have more sense like Terry Funk or Ricky Gibson and do things like look on the bright side of the death of kayfabe or go out of their way to praise new talent.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Dawgstar posted:

It’s always funny to watch Cornette stick to the mentality that the way it was done in 1987 was the way it could only be done when people of his same era have more sense like Terry Funk or Ricky Gibson and do things like look on the bright side of the death of kayfabe or go out of their way to praise new talent.

I get a little spark of joy every time I see Ricky Morton doing top-rope destroyers on GCW shows.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Dawgstar posted:

Imagine a Cornette like commentator in the 70s complaining about a drop kick.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If they’re leaving their feet it’d better be the finish goddammit!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

iirc Ric Flair once told Mick Foley to his face that everything he did in the ring was garbage and he'd be in a wheelchair by the time he was thirty.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lamuella posted:

iirc Ric Flair once told Mick Foley to his face that everything he did in the ring was garbage and he'd be in a wheelchair by the time he was thirty.
He wasn't far from the truth as far as the wheelchair goes, Foley was only 33 when Taker/Mankind in HIAC happened and by the time he was 40 he was walking with a big limp

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Lamuella posted:

Well Ric flair is stuck doing commercials for auto repair scammers and Mick is Santa Claus, so I think I know who the real winner is

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Well Ric flair is stuck doing commercials for auto repair scammers and Mick is Santa Claus, so I think I know who the real winner is

Ric Flair finance baby, WOO!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lamuella posted:

Rid flair and mick also had one of my favorite hardcore matches that was brutal and ruled.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The_Rob posted:

Rid flair and mick also had one of my favorite hardcore matches that was brutal and ruled.
I didn't know that Foley was involved in Reid's death match

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jim's pretty fuckin awful but 2000 Terry Funk vs 2000 Taker would have been a spectacle. Maybe do a motorcycle keys ladder match or something for a little extra McMahonism.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They essentially did the Terry Funk Vs Undertaker feud just with Ric Flair instead of Terry.

Jim is still dumb as gently caress and way behind the times though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah he sucks hard.

I just liked the idea of Terry Funk windmilling Taker's teeth out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1389222599893209091?s=20

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Oh my god the loving irony of Cornette’s tweet

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Apparently Cornette's only speaking "TRUE opinions".

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Matt's doing his best work since the original Broken run and Cornette has the gall to criticize this? That's blatant clickbaiting.

Also way to break kayfaybe, Jimmy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If its not two Greasy southern men fighting over who has the nicer confederate flag it's not his wrestling.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I think we can close the thread now that Jim Cornette has officially been murdered right in full view of all the Internet.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I can't wait for Corny to die, then rise from the grave madder than hell after AEW give him a 10 bell salute to open dynamite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Isn't Cornette the guy who constantly cites Worthington's Law as to why it's totally okay to do all sorts of poo poo in-ring or out if it DRAWS, i.e. "we may have been doing misogynist and race baiting angles and I was pressuring married dudes to sleep with the rats and sure some fellas got h-bombed in the locker room and hazed but WE SOLD OUT THE MID-SOUTH COLLISEUM FORTY SIX WEEKS STRAIGHT, you're doing your comedy wrestling in front of 200 nerds in an American Legion Hall, that proves old school wrestling is better!"

Suddenly being the guy who values integrity and righteousness over money and fame, when half of his schtick is being richer and more famous than outlaw mud show losers following their bliss is fun.