Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Clip-On Fedora posted:

When libs say they're worried about a red-brown alliance, they don't mean between Nazis and Communists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

I used to have perverted thoughts like that when I was a liberal many years ago. I actually bought into the notion that America will just need to go through a rough phase as we underwent demographic change, but afterwards we'd be better off because, clearly, reactionary bigots couldn't sell their poison in a country that was majority minority. Which is pretty silly when you consider Brazil or India, but those are the kinds of thoughts you get when you passively absorb the ideology that basically all of the media is selling you.

It doesn't help that many libs view non white people as basically role playing game races.

"It says right here on the sheet that your race's alignment Lawful Democrat. Vote for Biden or I'll tell the DM!"

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
i dunno guys, im starting to think that "95% of the same ideas!" poo poo those morons love bleating might not be true

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Mantis42 posted:

The really funny counter example would be Cuba, which is a country that not only handles race relations better than the US but still somehow provides healthcare and housing to all it's people.

how dare you? castro took my abuelito's whole plantation, slaves and all

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm glad someone isolated that line because whoo is that a revealing one.

'uh yea we're racist but have you ever considered that's just because we have a bunch of them?????'

It also reveals that they don't know a dammed thing about the demographics or the levels of racism in Europe.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mantis42 posted:

The really funny counter example would be Cuba, which is a country that not only handles race relations better than the US but still somehow provides healthcare and housing to all it's people.

Cuba has the distinct advantage of being embargoed from america and receiving none of her gross disgusting culture

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ram dass in hell posted:

The difference is that there is a logical argument for Trump voters being conned: some white Obama voters in dying rust belt towns thought he would do things to bring back jobs, but he didn't and just did generic Republican policies with even more racism. I'm not sure I agree that they were conned (unclear that thinking Trump would bring back jobs is actually why they voted Trump) but it's at least fact based and follows from the premises.

As far as I can tell, the full extent of the argument that Biden voters were cheated is "all politicians are equally bad but I am above it all because I am very smart".

Like Discendo Vox said in the OP, assuming that everything is equally bad just results in you throwing out everything that disagrees with your preconceptions, because it isn't possible to be equally skeptical of everything.

Man I'm trying my hardest to inject a little sanity into the media analysis thread, but it's so incredibly pointless. How do you respond to someone going "obama voters were lied to and got tricked, but their behavior was more fact-based than people who got tricked and lied to by Trump".

????

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
People that don't exist according to da libs, in this video.

https://youtu.be/ApLEQ9m8fyc

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Clip-On Fedora posted:

When libs say they're worried about a red-brown alliance, they don't mean between Nazis and Communists.

so who's our Rosa?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

a lib irl a couple weeks ago told me that she once hated bush but seeing him hug michelle obama totally changed her mind about him. That's how low the bar is when it comes to war crimes & civil-liberty suspension, I guess.

It's more that "things the politician did/does" simply isn't how they judge politicians. They judge them based upon "their perception of their moral character."

So during the Bush years liberal media talks about how he's an idiot (this is the main reason they hated him) who is maliciously doing bad things. It paints a picture in their head of "the person George W. Bush" that makes him unlikable. But if you remove this characterization from liberal media, he's just "a guy who was President in the past." This is also the reason why the more politically engaged ones hate the radical left - the radical left is always portrayed as a bunch of naive/selfish (and more recently bigoted) idiots in the mainstream press.

Another big angle is that liberals fetishize "agreeing with our enemies," because being able to do so is (to them) a sign that you're a reasonable and open-minded person. When they say things like "you may have been my enemy who I disagreed with, but we can agree on this" it causes them to feel something akin to sexual arousal.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Malleum posted:

i dunno guys, im starting to think that "95% of the same ideas!" poo poo those morons love bleating might not be true

lmao its pure condescension. "you're almost there :champ:! 5% more to go, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed"

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Mantis42 posted:

Me wanting to live in cuba

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Nichael posted:

in the hypothetical example they were consenting, so it is fine

also smythe is actually a 900 year old demon

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I comsent for all your mom's to suck my dick right now or at any point in the past/future

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mawarannahr posted:

You’re not allowed to change it from the inside, either

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

For a long time people have looked at how far behind the U.S. trails Europe and Scandinavian countries in terms of establishment of things like universal healthcare and other obviously beneficial but also not particularly selective social programs and concluded that the U.S. was "behind" or "less advanced" than those other countries.

But I actually think we're ahead of them.

Those other countries aren't dealing with anywhere near the level of "trying to maintain a society with a bunch of different-looking people all in one place", that we are. Lily white France and Scandinavian countries are pretty smug about how "open minded" and hyper progressive they are, and about all of their wonderful social programs just as long as the only people who have access to them look like them, but all it took was a few families with a tan showing up on their doorstep for them to dropkick their leftist values and start goosestepping up and down the street. The U.S. get's regularly pilloried for being backwards and racist, and rightly so because goddamn we absolutely are, but we're playing the game on hard mode compared to everyone else. As soon as they catch even a whiff of the bubbling chaos we somehow manage to hold together on a daily basis their spines telescope like an accordion and they start mashing the red button that says Full Fash Now.

And the thing is, multiculturalism, aside from being a good thing, is also definitively the future. There's no stopping it no matter how much the white supremacists/nationalists want to. It'd be like trying to go back to hunter-gatherer societies. It's happening. So it's everyone else that hasn't even begun to figure out how to live together that are way behind the curve.

The thing that really frustrated me about this post is like. Fascists don't need a working model to "win" because fascism is a failed model. It cannot ever maintain it's existence. The inevitability of their failure doesn't mean they can't kill lots and lots and lots of people! Only libs look at hundreds of millions dead and say "well... it's not ideal.... buuuuuuut"

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Taffer posted:

Man I'm trying my hardest to inject a little sanity into the media analysis thread, but it's so incredibly pointless. How do you respond to someone going "obama voters were lied to and got tricked, but their behavior was more fact-based than people who got tricked and lied to by Trump".

????

lol good effort but I'm just so tickled by the response basically being 2 short paragraphs of reductive dismissal and a 3rd paragaph decrying the benighted fools who do exactly what the first 2 paragraphs of the reply did

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
What if constantly murdering basically everyone and immiserating the survivors is actually fascism's success mode?

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I did some means testing and found that it would be a waste to invest any time into voting for dems

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Shipon posted:

so who's our Rosa?

Find any leftist black woman who liberals hate for very carefully crafted reasons, and you may find your answer.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Will Brunch

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Taffer posted:

????

You unfortunately just locked yourself out of that thread; by posting about the media analysis thread in the succ zone, you've shown that you're leading a brigade of known, notorious cspammers on a forum invasion. User loses posting privileges for 10,000 hours. Handsome Ralph | Floof Papa

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Will Binch

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Malleum posted:

"there is no possible way that a bunch of white people in a minority-majority nation could ever ruin things for everyone, that's just stupid, the free market of ideas would deal with them right quick"

That's a pretty sweet bike/hat combo tho

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Find any leftist black woman who liberals hate for very carefully crafted reasons, and you may find your answer.

You're making me even more fearful for the fate of Briahna Joy Gray :(

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

We're doing really drat good, what with all that race mixing!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lib and let die posted:

You unfortunately just locked yourself out of that thread; by posting about the media analysis thread in the succ zone, you've shown that you're leading a brigade of known, notorious cspammers on a forum invasion. User loses posting privileges for 10,000 hours. Handsome Ralph | Floof Papa

lol who was this

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

is pepsi ok posted:

"I'm very concerned about fascism coming to America" says oblivious fascist.

Fascism is when people emotionally identify with fascism. It has nothing to do with the surveillance state, racist police violence, aggressive foreign policy, or the media having a strong bias towards the status quo, because those things happen under Democrats and I'm a Democrat so I can't possibly be the bad guy. That's called logic.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol who was this

No source, it's more of a prediction.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Weembles posted:

It doesn't help that many libs view non white people as basically role playing game races.

"It says right here on the sheet that your race's alignment Lawful Democrat. Vote for Biden or I'll tell the DM!"

Liberals don't disagree with conservatives on the validity of race essentialism, or the need for a racial hierarchy, or even the order of the hierarchy. The only thing they fight for is to make the gaps a little smaller.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nothus posted:

First it was "covid is over, take your mask off" now it's "wfh is bad actually, go back to work" She's a pro-corporate propagandist.

https://twitter.com/nataliesurely/status/964647627596926977

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

they came THIS close to saying something about Sinovac and turning this meme even worse than it already was

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

looking thirsty, but not the way she meant

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Reality Protester posted:

Cuba has the distinct advantage of being embargoed from america and receiving none of her gross disgusting culture

nah we watched a ton of american movies and listened to american music.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lansdowne posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1388849702209310720

sorry, just have to stand by and make other people figure out their own vaccines because of 1/6 and the constitution and the need to reengage in cold war era dick waving

why didn't anyone bother to primary this guy?!

aren't these international corporations? couldn't like germany open up the pfizer patent

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Nothus posted:

First it was "covid is over, take your mask off" now it's "wfh is bad actually, go back to work" She's a pro-corporate propagandist.

her parents are rich

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

aren't these international corporations? couldn't like germany open up the pfizer patent

The Pfizer vaccine was developed by the German company Biontech and is manufactured in Germany. They probably could, or prohibit the export of vaccines manufactured locally like the US does. But also, countries tend to not want to get liberated or sanctioned by the US.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 00:52 on May 3, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

1. gonna be blocked by the WTO

2. trying to work around that is gonna get Germany sanctioned (the US already wants to sanction Germany over Nord Stream 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

What if constantly murdering basically everyone and immiserating the survivors is actually fascism's success mode?

If Fascism is about aesthetics, Hitler did pretty drat well. He didn't get to see Germany reduced to beautiful ruins but he entrenched himself into the very core of modern discourse, the stereotype shorthand for evil, the instigator of the Last Good War, the great villain of the founding myth of the current age.

If Fascism is about aesthetics, specifically rejecting the modern in favor of mythological thinking, Hitler and the Nazis were completely and entirely successful. They escaped the bonds of history and archived totemic status.

Of course they didn't do that themselves. The reason they were so elevated is because America needed a sufficiently impressive enemy to beat to make for a better story about ascending to global hegemony, and because they were useful in anti-Soviet propaganda.

In a way it feels like the Nazi Myth is kept alive because of its usefulness as a deeply veiled threat on the Jungian Shadow level. We beat them back, but folks, always remember what might be waiting in the darkness if we let social chaos get out of hand.