Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

Solarin posted:

Report on the Plane of Storms medallion change: it's a massive increase, to the point where it's possible to key your raid by doing modest splits in DZ

We got enough medallions for about 18 completed keys in ours tonight, which was close to the number of characters we needed to clear it. Huge and awesome improvement

I知 not familiar with how bad it was before but we popped a storms dz with about 14 and cleared all the giant camps minus the bosses and got all but two people fully keyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Before the change you could only get enough medallions to key 3.5 people from a DZ and that required killing all three raid bosses. The groupable ones did not spawn in a DZ before it would close.

This meant open world competition was required unless you wanted to wait many weeks to get enough from DZ. The respawn timer on the groupable giants was several hours so this meant literally sitting in as many picks of storms as possible, getting timers in all of them on when the next spawn occurs then stealing kills or fending off kill stealers

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I haven't played a live server in almost 20 years. I spent some time on P99 but just recently rolled characters on Vox with my kids. It's interesting to see what's the same (and abandoned) vs the new stuff. I'm a little floored by the stats of defiant gear. There is some level 5 disgruntled delivery mission in CR that gives out weapons better than any raid gear I ever saw on P99.

I tried searching on Allakhazam for potential weapon upgrades but there's so much info and most is outdated or outclassed anymore. I'm looking for upgrades for these simple consigned weapons. If anyone has a recommendation, is would appreciate it.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Inimicul posted:

I haven't played a live server in almost 20 years. I spent some time on P99 but just recently rolled characters on Vox with my kids. It's interesting to see what's the same (and abandoned) vs the new stuff. I'm a little floored by the stats of defiant gear. There is some level 5 disgruntled delivery mission in CR that gives out weapons better than any raid gear I ever saw on P99.

I tried searching on Allakhazam for potential weapon upgrades but there's so much info and most is outdated or outclassed anymore. I'm looking for upgrades for these simple consigned weapons. If anyone has a recommendation, is would appreciate it.

at that level, the best weapon you can get is an all-access subscription and a bunch of journeyman rank 1 mercenaries

then just equip whatever defiant weapons are cheap so you can bonk for skillups, alternately what classes are you all running? I can try to dig up some more relevant info

edit: dont listen to me im a idiot

blatman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 1, 2021

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm running a bard and the kids are a rogue and ranger.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How old are your kids? I知 impressed you were able to get them to give this game a shot. It seems like it would be impossible for this game to keep a kids attention nowadays with all the easy mode games in the same genre.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there are so few young people playing EQ and "young" could be in mid 30s

iirc the average EQ player is 50+

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I知 33 and I知 pretty sure 99% of the players are over the age of 30.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The boy is 10 and he's already learned how to Ranger Gate. The girl is 12 and doesn't want any alts. She loves her backstabbing rogue too much to try any other class.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That痴 amazing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Man after practically living on Aradune for 6 months I thought I'd never wanna play again but that new server looks mighty fun especially with classic and kunark only being one and two months long.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

A Boy and His Herb. posted:

I知 not familiar with how bad it was before but we popped a storms dz with about 14 and cleared all the giant camps minus the bosses and got all but two people fully keyed.

This change was p great. Our guilds whole launch experience for pop was improved tremendously.

Launch has been a blast and way less stressful than luclin.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 1, 2021

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Inimicul posted:

The boy is 10 and he's already learned how to Ranger Gate. The girl is 12 and doesn't want any alts. She loves her backstabbing rogue too much to try any other class.

Reporting you for child abuse

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I dunno, mercs trivialize lower level content so much it might make your kids lose interest, I'd just keep going without them personally.

Maybe take a healer merc if you think you need it.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Thumbs up for the Plane of Storms changes - A few of us 2-boxed an AoC to get 3 mains and 3 alts keyed for BoT with no stress, some reasonable exp, and a few spell parchments.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

suuma posted:

I dunno, mercs trivialize lower level content so much it might make your kids lose interest, I'd just keep going without them personally.

Maybe take a healer merc if you think you need it.

I retract my earlier post, follow this advice instead of mine

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
A ton of people in my old phinny guild and my current p1999 guild play with their kids. It is a pretty common phenomenon, especially in these older games where people are middle-aged by and large. Surprised ya'll haven't encountered it, although I only have time to play in a super casual atmosphere, so that might make a difference.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

In my previous guild on Aradund, our best paladin was a 9 year old girl.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
do the usual P99 etc recommendations for duos etc apply on TLPs? or has live diverged significantly enough that there are other better sources of info ? I assume they still don't roll back zone files like Freeport and Commonlands?

thinking about getting an all-access account for this TLP and rolling either a SHM/MNK or.... something with a buddy. I'm pretty used to 2 or 3 boxing now, so going back to a 1box might mean I'm playing BRD or ENC or something. Dunno! recommendations appreciated!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

cmdrk posted:

do the usual P99 etc recommendations for duos etc apply on TLPs? or has live diverged significantly enough that there are other better sources of info ? I assume they still don't roll back zone files like Freeport and Commonlands?

thinking about getting an all-access account for this TLP and rolling either a SHM/MNK or.... something with a buddy. I'm pretty used to 2 or 3 boxing now, so going back to a 1box might mean I'm playing BRD or ENC or something. Dunno! recommendations appreciated!

SHM/MNK is still a solid combo, both are great classes. Monks remain decent through the first few expansions (I tend to quit before PoP, hopefully not this time!) and shaman are always awesome. I was thinking of maybe duoing ENC/CLR but charmed pets had their damage reduced recently (they still make the best pets though, even after the nerf) so I'm not sure I want to go that route. SHM/SK is also a great combo.

When I started on the last TLP I played, Mangler, I solo'd a necro in classic and started raiding, then geared up a SHM/MNK/BRD trio when Kunark dropped, leveled up to 60 and switched my raid main to the bard. That was a great little trio IMO, but not having ports in the first few expansions was really annoying so I eventually switched to a 6 box crew before burning out just before Luclin unlocked. I'm still undecided on what I want to play this time, but I'm happy about the faster expansion unlocks because I really want to go through the PoP content again. I will probably keep my box crew to 3 or less though, juggling 6 was a chore.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I came back to the game after over a decade away for Aradune and played for about a month before the server woes drove me off. Played an enchanter but never enjoyed charming. Going to try again for Mischief, was thinking of group tanking.

Are there any grossly over-used classes in the TLPs? Does it even matter? I'm considering SK, but they seem to be by far the most common suggested tank in early expansions? Was also looking bard with a boxed cleric and tank (I was considering warrior but everyone says they're terrible outside raids?). It would be super casual, I don't expect I'll ever have the ability to commit time to raids.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BabelFish posted:

I came back to the game after over a decade away for Aradune and played for about a month before the server woes drove me off. Played an enchanter but never enjoyed charming. Going to try again for Mischief, was thinking of group tanking.

Are there any grossly over-used classes in the TLPs? Does it even matter? I'm considering SK, but they seem to be by far the most common suggested tank in early expansions? Was also looking bard with a boxed cleric and tank (I was considering warrior but everyone says they're terrible outside raids?). It would be super casual, I don't expect I'll ever have the ability to commit time to raids.

I think all of the INT casters seem to be the most commonly played on early TLP servers since they can pretty much level without issues with no gear at all. Warriors are indeed terrible outside of raids, especially before they get Defensive, they have lots of trouble holding aggro and leveling one up in a fresh TLP with no gear is mind-numbing. SKs are the most recommend because they hold aggro very well and can actually put out some decent damage, plus they can pull decently with feign death when necessary. Eventually Pallys catch up to SK's tanking and aggro holding abilities I think in SoL or PoP. Consider a ranger as an alternative to SKs, they tank well enough and have decent mobility, do good damage, and eventually become a great pulling/kiting/dps class in SoL/PoP.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Shm + anything melee works well. Bard is maybe a little meh. Ranger isn't quite tanky enough. But they all work. Shaman rogue gets interesting once you've got torpor and the shaman can hold aggro. Shadow knight, warrior, paladin all come with the bonus that all you really need is dps and you've got a group, especially kunark on.

Enc/clr is good and you can just solo everything forever, but enchanter can be a boring class in velious and beyond. And everyone will always value you for your cleric.

Druid / Bard still seems fun/interesting, but people hate druids so ymmv.

Enc/Nec was fun at level 20-40. Fear kite with charm pets outdoors, charm two pets in dungeons, felt very strong, but Nec/Nec might just be easier to play.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Shm + anything melee works well. Bard is maybe a little meh. Ranger isn't quite tanky enough. But they all work. Shaman rogue gets interesting once you've got torpor and the shaman can hold aggro. Shadow knight, warrior, paladin all come with the bonus that all you really need is dps and you've got a group, especially kunark on.

Enc/clr is good and you can just solo everything forever, but enchanter can be a boring class in velious and beyond. And everyone will always value you for your cleric.

Druid / Bard still seems fun/interesting, but people hate druids so ymmv.

Enc/Nec was fun at level 20-40. Fear kite with charm pets outdoors, charm two pets in dungeons, felt very strong, but Nec/Nec might just be easier to play.

I had a Rogue/Shaman buddy on Selo that consistently put out great damage on raids (he ways had the good buffs of course). I did a lot of Depth of Darkhollow instancing with him as well and that was a fantastic combo all around.

Druids come down to the player. One of the druids I've known I'd take over most clerics for healing because she knew her class inside and out.

I'm sure I'll be on Mischief and I'm trying to settle on Rogue, Wizard or Druid because I've played too many SKs and Monks.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

ist fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 3, 2023

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

ist posted:

I'll be 4boxing in Mischief, but I'm a bit indecisive on what I'm actually going to play and I really have no clue what my leveling route will be. I'll be playing 16-20 hours per day so ideally I'll get ahead of the pack early on... but I'll still fall behind a bunch of the other groups I'm sure, since I'm 4boxing and most of the other no-life groups will get to the best camps first.

I'm most likely going SK + enchanter + cleric + mage. I've considered swapping the SK out for the druid since I'll be able to farm enough krono to gear out an SK by the time kunark comes around, but there is at least one camp spot I want to farm early that I don't think I can pull without FD. Druid would make so many things a whole lot easier though... Swapping out the mage for a druid is another option, but I think I'd fall behind too far without mage carrying me 1-20.

As far as race/starter zones, really no clue. I 6boxed on Rizlona but I wouldn't use the same route on a more crowded server. 3 HIE + a human SK and gfay/CB/UR? 4 humans in Qeynos/qhills/bb/(????)? 4 DE and nektulos/lavastorm? Comedy option of 4 erudite? Anything west of the commonlands seems like a bad idea without a druid box, but starting in nektulos/gfay/commons seems like a bad idea because of the crowds. Then again, I have no clue how population will be distributed since I've always leveled early on TLPs in either steamfont or qeynos.

I guess the most important thing is getting all 4 of my boxes through the queue... I'd look for a puller+1 to level with me, but I don't think there's much point in forming a static if there's a chance that I'll only be able to log on 0-3 of my 4 boxes at launch.

Qeynos I think might be the best place to start on this TLP due to the crowds, I'm pretty sure this is going to be the most popular TLP by far. +1 vote for SK/ENC/CLR/MAG, that's 2/3 of my group makeup when I six boxed, I just added another mage and a wizard for the DPS and ports, all Dark Elves.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ist posted:

I'll be playing 16-20 hours per day

Jesus man... I don稚 think I could play EQ for more than 5 or 6 hours in a day without wanting to die.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

ist fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 3, 2023

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Charm is still extremely good by the way. The nerf feels like it hits hardest in the 20-30 range due to mobs not having good enough double attack and haste being weak. But it rapidly improves and the nerf doesn't feel noticeable outside of using charms on raid bosses. Charm damage there feels much worse after the nerf.

Also fun fact: they seemed to have missed nerfing a handful of mobs including the velium hunter in velks. That thing is still obscene

I wouldn't be surprised if they keep nerfing, maybe targeting CHeal on charm next, so staying away from enchanter is a fine idea.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
how much does one need to play to sustainably farm krono on a TLP? like what's the average plat:krono ratio on a new TLP server by the time, say, velious rolls around? (You can pay money for them and trade them for plat right?)

I am completely new to this but the idea of farming to sustain my addiction pleases me.

also how do you guys box on a Truebox server? do you literally have another PC with a KVM switch, or VMs, or is there some TRICKERY employed? or does DBG just not care?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

cmdrk posted:

how much does one need to play to sustainably farm krono on a TLP? like what's the average plat:krono ratio on a new TLP server by the time, say, velious rolls around? (You can pay money for them and trade them for plat right?)

I am completely new to this but the idea of farming to sustain my addiction pleases me.

also how do you guys box on a Truebox server? do you literally have another PC with a KVM switch, or VMs, or is there some TRICKERY employed? or does DBG just not care?

Farming krono is bullshit to me and not worth the time compared to even working a minimum wage job, in my opinion, but I understand it may be a decent choice for people who are unable to do so and that's cool. I wish I could play EQ all day and make decent money.

Who knows how much krono will be worth on this server due to the fact that it's free loot + random drops, it's a new frontier, but I suspect Krono here will be worth nowhere near the other servers. The biggest krono farmers run MQ2 and have dozens of bots running around multiple camps at all times farming up all the loot. I think this new Mischief TLP is an effort to prevent that slightly with the free loot + random drops.

As it's a Truebox server I've actually followed the rules and have had up to 8 actual physical PCs for my box crew, but I've controlled them all with Multiplicity and HotKeyNet from the same KB+mouse.

I hear MQ2 has a new open source build that runs on Truebox servers and I'm very interested in learning more about that myself. I never play unattended and I just want to make my life easier while running a 6 box team to gear myself up, camping single locations as opposed to holding down several pickzones to farm krono.

Here's my last setup from Mangler:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Coolnezzz posted:

Farming krono is bullshit to me and not worth the time compared to even working a minimum wage job, in my opinion, but I understand it may be a decent choice for people who are unable to do so and that's cool. I wish I could play EQ all day and make decent money.

Who knows how much krono will be worth on this server due to the fact that it's free loot + random drops, it's a new frontier, but I suspect Krono here will be worth nowhere near the other servers. The biggest krono farmers run MQ2 and have dozens of bots running around multiple camps at all times farming up all the loot. I think this new Mischief TLP is an effort to prevent that slightly with the free loot + random drops.

That's about what I figured. What prevents people from just.. KSing the botters? Are they just so overpowered that the money mobs are oneshot? I'm so out of the loop, I don't understand that aspect at all.

But cool. I can't imagine putting more than 3-4 hours/day into EQ because of $JOB, but my NEET pals might enjoy the prospect of mining for Krono to keep the sub going. More likely I'd be the one feeding money into the machine to get sick loots.

Coolnezzz posted:

As it's a Truebox server I've actually followed the rules and have had up to 8 actual physical PCs for my box crew, but I've controlled them all with Multiplicity and HotKeyNet from the same KB+mouse.

I hear MQ2 has a new open source build that runs on Truebox servers and I'm very interested in learning more about that myself. I never play unattended and I just want to make my life easier while running a 6 box team to gear myself up, camping single locations as opposed to holding down several pickzones to farm krono.

Here's my last setup from Mangler:

That's awesome. Each account is a separate sub though, right?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I don't know about mischief, but by the end of vanilla, I had around 8ish krono from just selling random loot and potions. Kunark, maybe 12? Velious 16? And then in Luclin I made another 10.

I didn't really do much speculation, and I didn't flip poo poo in the tunnel. I think if you're playing and active, it's fairly easy to make krono to keep the sub free. If you're trying to ectunnel and make $$$, it starts getting harder.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

cmdrk posted:

That's about what I figured. What prevents people from just.. KSing the botters? Are they just so overpowered that the money mobs are oneshot? I'm so out of the loop, I don't understand that aspect at all.

But cool. I can't imagine putting more than 3-4 hours/day into EQ because of $JOB, but my NEET pals might enjoy the prospect of mining for Krono to keep the sub going. More likely I'd be the one feeding money into the machine to get sick loots.

That's awesome. Each account is a separate sub though, right?

DPS is king, there is nothing stopping you from KSing these days, on any server. If you can out-DPS the bot camps then you win the loot, period. I believe that is the official stance as well. But this particular server the hot camps wont be so hot due to the random loot, encouraging people to try other camps and explore everything/anything.

I hope that it's a truly random loot pool, and not just a swap between things like the froglok shin lord's loot is swapped with the efreeti lords' drops and vice versa, but that anything in the 45-50 level can drop any other mobs loot table, etc.

Also I hear you on being the one that feeds the money into the machine, this is how DBG/whatever they are called now make money. Gimme my 40 slot bags and race changes you bastards! I just wish you could move characters between accounts.

Edit:

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I don't know about mischief, but by the end of vanilla, I had around 8ish krono from just selling random loot and potions. Kunark, maybe 12? Velious 16? And then in Luclin I made another 10.

I didn't really do much speculation, and I didn't flip poo poo in the tunnel. I think if you're playing and active, it's fairly easy to make krono to keep the sub free. If you're trying to ectunnel and make $$$, it starts getting harder.

I think paying for your own subs with loot is totally doable! But trying to make more than that is a huge chore.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

cmdrk posted:

The problem is you can't KS the bot crews unless you happen to have more dps than them. Generally speaking they'll be a max dps group. Maybe it's six wizards or necros or whatever is top dps for that point in the game in a group with a second group for healing tanking etc. You're not gonna ever out dps them.

There also maybe a random dude running four to six characters that make sense as a group. Like cleric, tank, crowd control, porter and two dps. That guy isn't maxing out his krono farming capabilities he's just botting to have fun and be independent of needing groups etc. And he's not necessarily perma camping stuff.

The hard-core bot group krono farmers are gonna have max dps groups to avoid being out dpsed.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Doctor Party posted:

The problem is you can't KS the bot crews unless you happen to have more dps than them. Generally speaking they'll be a max dps group. Maybe it's six wizards or necros or whatever is top dps for that point in the game in a group with a second group for healing tanking etc. You're not gonna ever out dps them.

There also maybe a random dude running four to six characters that make sense as a group. Like cleric, tank, crowd control, porter and two dps. That guy isn't maxing out his krono farming capabilities he's just botting to have fun and be independent of needing groups etc. And he's not necessarily perma camping stuff.

The hard-core bot group krono farmers are gonna have max dps groups to avoid being out dpsed.

Exactly right, and you describe what I try to do in your second paragraph exactly. Playing a full group independently of others. I am not trying to hold down every single loving pickzone, just running a group by myself for the challenge, and I'm still getting out dpsed by the botters that run crews of 4-6 man groups in every single pick.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Coolnezzz posted:

Exactly right, and you describe what I try to do in your second paragraph exactly. Playing a full group independently of others. I am not trying to hold down every single loving pickzone, just running a group by myself for the challenge, and I'm still getting out dpsed by the botters that run crews of 4-6 man groups in every single pick.

Yeah I think if there was a way to ban the perma camping max dps botters and at the same time make running a four or six character independent group more accessible that'd be awesome.

I have never gone down the path of boxing more than two or three characters. I have always just done it with individual computers and keyboards. I have found that to be very annoying. But I'd probably play eq way more if I could easily box three or four characters and just do my own thing more. Heck maybe I should try and set up a single key board multiple computer thing if I play on the new one.

So we don't yet know how the loot will work right? Like is it equal chance to get an fbss rrom frenzy as it is off some same level mob in sol b? Or is it only off named/rare? Or is it more along the lines of frenzy has a fifty percent chance to drop his normal loot table and fifty percent at the random loot from same level mobs?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think they said only named spawns drop the rate loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

RCarr posted:

I think they said only named spawns drop the rate loot.

Ah but we don't know if frenzy and king have equal chances of dropping each other's loot or if its sort of like frenzy still drops his loot some percent and other loot the rest of the time. Or maybe frenzy drops his loot plus drops extra loot which can be anything.