Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

EasyEW posted:

Elsewhere in the issues: Another fun time with Fred G. Cooper...

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (June 23, 1945)

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "39 - Jucika's Good Will"

"Jucika and the Glass Door"

Very clever!

fondue posted:

B Kliban

Haifisch posted:

2017 GRONNNK

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 5/23-25/46

Very stupid! (But I love them very much please do not insult my beautiful stupid children)

It just occurred to me that Scarelli never told Brenda his first name, so she must have independently decided to call him a turkey face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (February 19, 1953)

Given the normal structure of this strip, I don't know how to interpret this other than "grown man upset he is no longer allowed to mock a child mercilessly".

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown? A Wild Grote Appears!

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

There's no time to waste! Bake a cake!

quote:

Footrot Flats

I know this is just a super common old 'kids being kids' trope but this sucks and I'm so tired of seeing it in comics and in real life.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Leg make-up"?

Is it that stuff people used to create a stocking-like effect on their legs during World War II when stockings were impossible to find?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

This is the kind of comic that makes me wonder if "leg make-up" was a thing people called something else in the 40s, if it was an actual product that just disappeared as pants became more acceptable/fashionable or if Bushmiller made it up entirely for the gag.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

https://mashable.com/2015/05/18/nylon-stocking-shortage/?europe=true

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 22, 1999)

Those facial expressions.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (April 16, 1992)

There is no escape from Mämmilä.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAvcGcEc0k&t=83s

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

In my final years of public school they stopped offering bus service to the high school students. I would have been poo poo out of luck in Jeremy's position.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

In my final years of public school they stopped offering bus service to the high school students. I would have been poo poo out of luck in Jeremy's position.

haha what the gently caress

where? There were still plenty of people without cars in my high school

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 14, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Jan. 14, 1945)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Bloop posted:

A suburb north of Cincinnati. The district had no money, so when a local school budget bill failed to pass the district announced that they were forced to cut the bus route. It was commonly accepted that the measure was actually to punish the parents for not voting it through.

I ended up dropping out early my junior year (and finishing online). The place was a hell hole.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (February 5-11, 2001)

I admit it, I laughed.

Moomin and the Comet

Little My immediately gravitates towards the most dangerous object in the vicinity.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Aren't you supposed to hole up during the day, and travel by night, for desert travel?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Huxley posted:

This is the kind of comic that makes me wonder if "leg make-up" was a thing people called something else in the 40s, if it was an actual product that just disappeared as pants became more acceptable/fashionable or if Bushmiller made it up entirely for the gag.

I think it was actually a thing. There was a nylon shortage due to the war (parachutes etc)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Comet

Little My immediately gravitates towards the most dangerous object in the vicinity.

Funny that this is pretty much the only scene they kept intact.

Minus Swedish puns.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 3, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Aren't you supposed to hole up during the day, and travel by night, for desert travel?

Travelling by night if you're not good at stellar navigation is a hell of a risk.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Bloop posted:

It was like that for the school my sister went to, your school id let you ride the city bus for free and you had to hope the schedule and routes worked out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

Nemi

Pondus

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

lmao, those poor bastards :allears:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Since there are no humans, he should have made the blimp look like a huge manatee.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

goatface posted:

Travelling by night if you're not good at stellar navigation is a hell of a risk.

It's a desert. you pick a direction and just go, and hope you stumble across civilization before you die.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'll be busy the whole day tomorrow, so you get a double dose today. Lucky you.

Classic Kevin & Kell (February 12-18, 2001)

Mir was a Soviet/Russian space station, built in the late '80s and '90s: it was the first modular space station, and the first space station that was continuously inhabited for a significant period of time; one cosmonaut, because of the fall of the Soviet Union, ended up spending more than a year in orbit, because in all the turmoil no one could be bothered to have him come down.

Designed for a five-year career, Mir would be in space for fifteen: near the end of its life its systems had become obsolete and frequently broke down, contaminating the air inside with dangerous chemicals and putting the life of the cosmonauts and astronauts inhabiting it at risk. At one point, it even caught on fire because of a malfunction in a chemical oxygen generator, filling the station with toxic smoke and forcing the crew to don oxygen masks to be able to breathe properly. Also, at one point a Progress resupply vehicle, on an automatic docking test, crashed into the station, puncturing a module, and causing Mir to lose electrical power; this required several weeks to fix.

What spelled the end for Mir, however, was Russia's commitment to the International Space Station program, which left no funds available to manage the older station. The final time someone was aboard was from April to June 2000, as part of a private venture to refurbish the station for commercial use which eventually went nowhere.

Because of its size, an uncontrolled re-entry of Mir was deemed to be dangerous, since there was a real possibility that pieces of the station, some of them quite large, could reach the ground and do damage. (Imagine being killed by a falling space toilet.) Therefore, it was decided to properly dispose of the station, by deorbiting it via several controlled burns of a Progress engine: Mir broke apart and crashed into the South Pacific Ocean at around six AM UTC on March 23rd, 2001.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drottningholm_Palace

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Brenda Starr, Angry Bather

F Minus

Mark Trail

It's because you're a square, Mark.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons catchup!

Apartment 3-G

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (April 30, 1992)

Spoilered for some caricatures of Africans.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (April 30, 1992)

Jesus, Mary and fuckin' Joseph.

In today's slightly earlier than usual Blueberry: Blueberry introduces O'Reilly to the thirteenth step, or Quanah gets upset with his band, or Blueberry is not well liked by geologists

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LazyQ posted:

This is the kinda stuff that gets me thinking about our contemporary media culture. We see a comics page that speaks frankly of cruel and gruesome war crimes and unimaginable personal tragedy, that really crams the most staggering amount of violence and human despair into six panels, and that needs to employ an oversimplified art style to soften the blow, because in the regular semi-realistic art style what it depicts would be absolutely and immediately unbearable; and out of the incredible amount of reasons we wouldn't want to look at this page, as the reason to hide it we choose "the oversimplified art style looks racist."

I'm thinking of Maus, for some reason, but I haven't nailed it down 100%.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's a desert. you pick a direction and just go, and hope you stumble across civilization before you die.

Supposedly, if you try to cross a desert without some kind of navigation aid (either a compass, or a watch and the sun during the day, or the stars at night), most people will walk in a giant circle to the left or the right depending on which of their legs is slightly shorter.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

My Lovely Horse posted:

This is the kinda stuff that gets me thinking about our contemporary media culture. We see a comics page that speaks frankly of cruel and gruesome war crimes and unimaginable personal tragedy, that really crams the most staggering amount of violence and human despair into six panels, and that needs to employ an oversimplified art style to soften the blow, because in the regular semi-realistic art style what it depicts would be absolutely and immediately unbearable; and out of the incredible amount of reasons we wouldn't want to look at this page, as the reason to hide it we choose "the oversimplified art style looks racist."

I'm thinking of Maus, for some reason, but I haven't nailed it down 100%.
Well, to be fair, the whole big lips everything going on in the normal art style is racist. The actual narrative and character of Mukku is not, as far as I can tell, racist, but it's a case of everyone has caricatured designs but the artist is more used to white people so it's less falling on racist stereotypes there and the things that jump to mind when designing Mukku come out, well, uncomfortable.

I don't think... it's a bad thing to be sensitive to that, and I don't think it's a bad thing to say 'Mukku is a good man and a good character but if he was designed in 2020 I think he'd be designed differently.' So the uncomfortableness with the oversimplified art style isn't that 'Mukku is fine but suddenly this looks racist', but that it's distilling that down, and on top of that the discussion being about very serious and disturbing war crimes explains why it's being distilled down but doesn't make it... not racist.

Like, I'd be fine with that page being spoilered anyway because, as you've noting, it's a depressing depiction of absolutely horrific war crimes, but the way you responded feels a little dismissive of the racism inherent in Mukku's design or the fact that sometimes people are okay with a narrative about war crimes but don't want to see racist caricatures on top of that.

EDIT: Anyway I'm glad Mukku's wife is alive.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 3, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mikl posted:

Oh gently caress off, Dick. That's a super flimsy reason for you to go after him.
He's a cop, what do you expect?

Green Intern posted:

I know this is just a super common old 'kids being kids' trope but this sucks and I'm so tired of seeing it in comics and in real life.
Agreed. It's not cute to dismiss kids harassing other kids with 'oh they just have a crush on you'. :argh:

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (April 30, 1992)

Goddamn. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't mean to be dismissive of the racism issues, on the other hand it does seem a bit of a luxury problem to me to be able to say "ooh I don't much like the way they draw those unspeakable atrocities."

Or from a slightly different angle, feels like once you've arrived at "my family was killed by people who bet money on which way their guts would fly when ripped apart by jeeps" you've left a few other issues way behind you even if they are objectively serious and worth addressing.