Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
id rather have a frontal lobotomy than not have a coffee in front of me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yospos coffee thread: Brewed Dog and The Dweebs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bump_fn posted:

the best coffee is the coffee you have in front of you

^^^^^^

psiox posted:

a bean saved is a bean earned

do you roast? that's a lot of beanage!

ya

my go-to lately has been a natural processed el salvador pacamara. it's like what i think of as the platonic ideal of good coffee, which i do to a medium roast. i used to be able to get it in a yellow honey version but my supplier stopped stocking it

also been drinking a lot of this tanzanian mlama natural processed but they're out of stock mostly for the foreseeable so i snagged the last two pounds. i tend to take this darker and you get a lot of dark fruit flavours, like blueberry

since the mlama was out i picked up a few pounds from the minas gerais region of brazil - some natural processed and a yellow honey peaberry. also got a free pound of some natural ethiopian yirgacheffe.

also picked up a couple of new decafs to try - wet-hulled sumatra and a wet-hulled peru

it's all either fair or direct trade

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I do rely on a stash of k-cups when I run out of fresh stuff, and also when I'm clearly in a state where I'm way too loving tired or in a rush to grind beans and do whatever with a french press or a moka pot.

at some point I should buy a real pourover thing rather than my current setup, which is the top part of a milk carton, upside down, as a filter holder over my french press. It does work though!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mediaphage posted:

^^^^^^

ya

my go-to lately has been a natural processed el salvador pacamara. it's like what i think of as the platonic ideal of good coffee, which i do to a medium roast. i used to be able to get it in a yellow honey version but my supplier stopped stocking it

also been drinking a lot of this tanzanian mlama natural processed but they're out of stock mostly for the foreseeable so i snagged the last two pounds. i tend to take this darker and you get a lot of dark fruit flavours, like blueberry

since the mlama was out i picked up a few pounds from the minas gerais region of brazil - some natural processed and a yellow honey peaberry. also got a free pound of some natural ethiopian yirgacheffe.

also picked up a couple of new decafs to try - wet-hulled sumatra and a wet-hulled peru

it's all either fair or direct trade

I wish i cared about anything as much as you care about beans

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I wish i cared about anything as much as you care about beans

look ive had my share of brick schwag

seriously though i mean i have instant and poo poo in the house, too. i just like being able to experience stuff you can't easily have any other way. it's not a ton of effort, and i get to have coffee that's better than almost anything in the city

i'm into just about anything you can ferment, i figure might as well get some use out of my degree since i don't get paid for it~~~

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
gonna start referring to coffee like people do with weed, roll up to the barista and ask if they got any mids

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

psiox posted:

gonna start referring to coffee like people do with weed, roll up to the barista and ask if they got any mids

katt williams voice: look man i just want Regular Beans

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

katt williams voice: look man i just want Regular Beans
it me

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
grinding my beans and brewing in my chemex is like the best 5 minutes of my day.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bhodi posted:

didn't see anyone mention it yet but coffee crazy youtube personality james hoffmann did a series on the aeropress recently, the tl;drs that I remember from his testing are

• pre-rinsing your filter doesn't change the flavor
  • pre-heating the aeropress doesn't change the flavor because it's well insulated there's less than a degree of temp drop
  • pushing through the hiss versus until the hiss doesn't change the flavor
  • inverted versus standard doesn't change the flavor but he personally finds inverted scary because presumably the plunger fell out once and near-boiling water and coffee grounds went everywhere and now he's traumatized
  • pushing water through too fast causes channels to form and all the water will run through those channels and the coffee will taste underextracted, thin or sour so take your time, ~20s+
  • there's a temperature hump where if brewed coffee will taste bitter. it's higher for dark roast and lower for light and it's between 80-90C so best brews are either higher or lower than that, he prefers going higher like 95ish but that's why both the aeropress directions and world championships prefer lower
  • steeping for ~2m pays huge flavor dividends but has big diminishing returns after that to the point that 3m+ steeps all taste the same (not bad, just wastes time)
  • swirl once after steeping and wait 30s to get the coffee to settle to the bottom
  • finding the right grind is important, aeropress prefers on the finer end and it varies widely per bean (obviously) so after adjusting for water temp start adjusting the grind, bitter = make larger, sour/thin = make smaller
afternoon aeropress using these hot tips and a larger quantity than usual of inferior beans. it's pretty good

think i'm going to clean the chemex with my brewing cleaner later too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

coffee friends

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
fake edit: ^birb birb birb

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I use kcups at work. it’s fine. whatever. got caffeine in it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Accretionist posted:

fake edit: ^birb birb birb

pro tier gif

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

brisk weather porch coffee

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

beans

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

mediaphage posted:

brisk weather porch coffee

trippy journey into the Spro Zone

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
hardcore henry but he's holding coffee close to the camera

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:yeah:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i’m sorry but

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

swampass roast

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Alex Jones sucks bigly but he has some funny branding

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Had some coffee. My technique today was to switch the machine on using button A, rotate dial B to 11 o'clock (for a medium volume of cofe), press button C for One Coffe Please

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Had some coffee. My technique today was to switch the machine on using button A, rotate dial B to 11 o'clock (for a medium volume of cofe), press button C for One Coffe Please

Hell yeah brother turn it to 11

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

had a pour over, it was nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
haeving a coffee

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
starting my May Day Saturday with beans and moan

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i didn’t realize that was an imac at first and was trying to figure out how you took the picture

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
they're magic beans bront

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

grinding beans while i imagine my future posts

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

today is definitely a two coffee day.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

strange smokey taste to my coffee this morning, weird since it was hand ground and my water was 185F. not been a problem before.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nobody Interesting posted:

strange smokey taste to my coffee this morning, weird since it was hand ground and my water was 185F. not been a problem before.

sometimes you'll get a bean in a roast that got stuck and burned or overroasted. might've just hit one of those in the grind.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Drinking some iced coffee.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

mediaphage posted:

sometimes you'll get a bean in a roast that got stuck and burned or overroasted. might've just hit one of those in the grind.

dammit nabob i trusted you

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dammit nabob i trusted you

better that than a rock!

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

mediaphage posted:

better that than a rock!

nabob is my rock. nabob gives me strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nabob is my rock. nabob gives me strength

teacher

lover