Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I forget what game taught me this but I instinctively obviated the "running" restriction by holding down block which of course keeps you locked at slow speed :eng101:
i swear that room is more of a pain in the rear end in this version because even when i was holding block, it sometimes arbitrarily decided i was waddling too fast and punted me back to the start, as did the multiple frames of me touching the ground after weapon comboing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hahaha holy gently caress I am in the end sequence of act 2 for the very first time and Weiss is literally the loving days from retirement veteran cop character what the gently caress is this game even lmao

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Are we talking about different areas? The part I'm thinking of you only ever do once throughout the whole playthrough even when going for all the endings (not counting side quests)

edit: FWIW even with the boat I hated every time I had to go to Facade cause it was annoying to get there lol

I was thinking of the lost shrine. You still need to go to barren temple three times to get all the weapons cause one of them is tied to a side quest though, which is itself only available after doing another side quest.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Omg wolves loving suck...

First getting in the way of my fragile delivery quest and swarming me by the dozens, then when I need 10 wolf hides and I just killed a bunch for this other quest I get teleported out

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

First getting in the way of my fragile delivery quest and swarming me by the dozens, then when I need 10 wolf hides and I just killed a bunch for this other quest I get teleported out
If it makes you feel better, the bodies probably stopped existing within a minute, so you wouldn't have been able to harvest them all anyways.

also, if you ever need wolf hides, go hang out in the sand storm - it literally has infinite wolves. Kill 'em to your hearts content!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

Also on the subject of the banter, I really appreciate this line from

Well I didn't know that about Kaine so uh, thanks for the untagged spoilers.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

Just started Drakengard 3 and see that there’s 6 dlc prologue chapters. Gotta say I’m glad that they decided to not close the PSN store quite yet while I play the game and decide if I want over 30 bucks more game.

A lot of it is reusing game stages while you're locked into playing as one of the sisters. I'd say the only ones that are essential to understanding their deal are Zero's, One's and Two's chapters, and the rest are only if you're curious about them. Pretty sure it's not worth the full price, and they really should've given it a huge discount at some point.

If you do decide to get the DLC, it's better to wait until the end of route A to tackle Two to Five's DLC, wait till the penultimate mission to do One's DLC, and wait till you've finished the whole game for Zero's DLC.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished replicant ending E. :unsmith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just reached Part 2. I like spears, though I get the impression it might be good to switch to great-swords to break enemy guards/armor. I'm not sure what niche the original short swords have.

The only very minor issue I have is that the bonds between the player character/Kaine and Emil seemed to kind of come out of nowhere. Like you go to the manor, meet him, and then leave and after this point he's basically like family to you. I'm fine with it because Emil is great, but it felt a little fast.

Also, is there any reason for (late part 1)the spooky changing portraits in Emil's manor? I read online someone speculating that they're just meant to prevent people from exploring and discovering the underground passage. For some reason "old portrait that subtly changes" is the sort of gimmick that always reliably creeps me out even if I'm expecting it.

I think the most emotionally moving segment so far was actually (end part 1)Weiss deciding to stick with you and the rest of the party.

Another part I liked was (late part 1)the segment with the text dreams in the forest. The woman's one was particularly interesting. I can basically guess what was going on (since I had that one element of the plot spoiled for me), but I'm not sure if what was described was literal or not.

edit: One thought I've had while playing this is that it's really hard to imagine the protagonist being the dad version. It seems like so much of the protagonist's relationships would be a lot different if he wasn't so young.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It took me a bit to realize that you need to kill the wolves to avoid getting swamped during that delivery quest, but it's not too hard to just spam Dark Blast at them. First couple times I tried using the shield magic and made it right up to the door of Facade before getting hit.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 3, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I ended up doing it by keeping a perpetual darkwall bubble and bunny hopping across the map lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I ended up doing it by keeping a perpetual darkwall bubble and bunny hopping across the map lol

I almost made it, but there just ended up being a swarm of wolves. Like 20 of the things, and sooner or later the bubble disappears and you have to recast it (which is kind of slow).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Emil’s mansion is just one big homage to Resident Evil and/or haunted houses so shifting portraits is just part of that whole thing.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You might be the first person to use Dark Wall

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ytlaya posted:

I almost made it, but there just ended up being a swarm of wolves. Like 20 of the things, and sooner or later the bubble disappears and you have to recast it (which is kind of slow).

Wolves have fuckall stagger resist, so I just killed every wolf I came across by spamming the initial shot from Dark Blast.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blaziken386 posted:

Also on the subject of the banter, I really appreciate this line from

I love how Weiss evolves and matures (at least in Nier/the player's eyes). He starts off always grouchy, constantly complaining and sniping at the young - but after five years hanging out with you he's still a grouchy sourpuss but he also shows how compassionate and respectful he is beneath it all. You can feel him letting his guard down.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zerilan posted:

The bickering is worth it, I've never heard such contempt put into the word "book" before.

It’s time to post this again!

https://twitter.com/retrocombine/status/1386398474757836801?s=21

:swoon:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

edit: One thought I've had while playing this is that it's really hard to imagine the protagonist being the dad version. It seems like so much of the protagonist's relationships would be a lot different if he wasn't so young.

I haven't played the original nier in a very long time, but I feel like they wrote the character a little differently for dad nier, too, as well as the way people react to him. I know that if nothing else, they change the line that (early part 2) Kaine says when she sees you again after being unpetrified; for brother nier she says "you grew up," for father nier it's "you look like poo poo", I wouldn't be surprised if they rewrote some other dialogue too, because as you say it's a pretty different dynamic.

I do miss dad nier (didn't realize how much until I got to spend a little time with him again in 15 nightmares) but I begrudgingly admit that brother maybe works a little better for what this game is trying to do. I think the difference between part 1 nier and part 2 nier works way better for brother nier, and also playing as an optimistic chirpy boy works better for part 1's "this is going to be just like zelda" fakeout, whereas father nier is a gloomy gus right out of the gate. Not that brother nier isn't sad about his sick sister of course, but he still carries a bit more youthful optimism with him that plays better as a zelda clone hero in part 1.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cool I’m in the Spencer Mansion lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

Wolves have fuckall stagger resist, so I just killed every wolf I came across by spamming the initial shot from Dark Blast.

Exactly, it was easy once I decided to kill the wolves.

goblin week posted:

You might be the first person to use Dark Wall

I used it until I got Whirlwind, because I didn't like spamming Dark Blast in most situations and liked having a passive buff.

I was about to mention Dark Gluttony (that's the absorb magic one, right?) being weird, but maybe it's actually good for regenerating MP (which has become more of an issue later on)?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 3, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just straight up ran all the way and the wolves were never able to catch up.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just straight up ran all the way and the wolves were never able to catch up.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That’s right

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
I used the sandspouts and bypassed walking through the desert all together.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Melomane Mallet posted:

This

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Melomane Mallet posted:

I forgot when/how the sandspouts were unlocked and didn't open them up until near the end of the game :dumb:

the way I did the fragile delivery was to take the long way circling around the outside of the desert so that I only had to deal with a few wolves, and I camped on top of one of the sandspouts and shot those ones with magic until they died

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

I still don't remember how the hell you unlock those. Every time I've been in the desert, they've been "mysteriously nonfunctional"

I, of course, also just ran past the wolves, who were too busy ominously circling (and getting blasted with magic by Kaine) to bother trying to attack.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I only figured out the desert shortcut things during the last hour or so of my last play through.

Boy did I feel like an idiot.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Augus posted:

I forgot when/how the sandspouts were unlocked and didn't open them up until near the end of the game :dumb:

the way I did the fragile delivery was to take the long way circling around the outside of the desert so that I only had to deal with a few wolves, and I camped on top of one of the sandspouts and shot those ones with magic until they died

Blaziken386 posted:

I still don't remember how the hell you unlock those. Every time I've been in the desert, they've been "mysteriously nonfunctional"

I, of course, also just ran past the wolves, who were too busy ominously circling (and getting blasted with magic by Kaine) to bother trying to attack.

You have to talk to the Advisor any time after the Barren Temple, iirc.

Granted, the game does nothing to let you know he has something to say, so its easy to pass him by thinking he just has normal dialogue.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Man I'm trying to get the three machine oil for the treasure map quest and this is taking forever. I'm farming the little flying guys in the junk heap, I have the +25% item drop on all my weapons and magic, and I've been going for a couple hours and I still got nothing. I tried in hard mode a few times but still nothing and the longer time to defeat the enemies seemed to outweigh the deep rate so I went back to normal. Pray for me y'all.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Soysaucebeast posted:

Man I'm trying to get the three machine oil for the treasure map quest and this is taking forever. I'm farming the little flying guys in the junk heap, I have the +25% item drop on all my weapons and magic, and I've been going for a couple hours and I still got nothing. I tried in hard mode a few times but still nothing and the longer time to defeat the enemies seemed to outweigh the deep rate so I went back to normal. Pray for me y'all.
It's all about mindset. If you go in looking for memory alloy, the game will reward you with a bunch of oil. This is 100% scientific.

BisbyWorl posted:

You have to talk to the Advisor any time after the Barren Temple, iirc.

Granted, the game does nothing to let you know he has something to say, so its easy to pass him by thinking he just has normal dialogue.
Oh god dammit

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
This combat system really isn’t good enough to justify shades with a sword blocking every single attack from a spear combo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do the nothing personal kid dodge behind them and attack

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is the book in Nier's house (route b) the dlc? I'm in a weird white space killing shades as papa Nier and just had a very bizarre rail shooter experience through Facade.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Well I got to part 2. poo poo's bleak man

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay wrapped up the dlc and put everyone in Samurai outfits and Emil's look is amazing. No regrets. However, I also noticed there was a new option for "magic orbs" in wardrobe called "Emil" and thought, "oh that probably changes the magic from red to purple, cool, I want that!" It does not do that at ALL :gonk:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

Is the book in Nier's house (route b) the dlc? I'm in a weird white space killing shades as papa Nier and just had a very bizarre rail shooter experience through Facade.

I just did that last night. The music is...odd and the (Route B DLC spoiler) rail shooter section is just totally :psyduck: and out of place.

I'm just glad it has no plot relevance so I can never touch it again.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Okay wrapped up the dlc and put everyone in Samurai outfits and Emil's look is amazing. No regrets. However, I also noticed there was a new option for "magic orbs" in wardrobe called "Emil" and thought, "oh that probably changes the magic from red to purple, cool, I want that!" It does not do that at ALL :gonk:

I remember picking that option in Automata once and having the exact same reaction.

Haven't played around with any of the alternate costumes I unlocked, although I heard Kaine's are somehow even more naked which...how is that possible?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

axeil posted:

I just did that last night. The music is...odd and the rail shooter section is just totally :pysduck: and out of place.

I'm just glad it has no plot relevance so I can never touch it again.

What, you not a fan of exceedingly edgelord metal versions of Nier's excellent soundtrack? The rail shooter thing was bizarre because nothing was actually attacking me? I'm playing on easy because I'm lazy so maybe it's different on other modes but that was weird af.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 3, 2021

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Doctor Nutt posted:

What, you not a fan of exceedingly edgelord metal versions of Nier's excellent soundtrack? The rail shooter thing was bizarre because nothing was actually attacking me? I'm playing on easy because I'm lazy so maybe it's different on other modes but that was weird af.
I played on normal and nothing attacked me either. Pretty sure I missed an enemy too. I’m not sure that segment has a fail state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

axeil posted:

I remember picking that option in Automata once and having the exact same reaction.

Haven't played around with any of the alternate costumes I unlocked, although I heard Kaine's are somehow even more naked which...how is that possible?

Ehhh, I mean they are in the sense that she loses the little chamis thing but both of them cover up more of her boobs than the default outfit. Tbh I don't think a single outfit does her character justice but the dlc ones just kinda look like skimpy armor from a 90s fantasy rpg or something.