Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I was a bit worried at people being able to see what games I was playing after I linked my facebook account to quest but there is an option to hide all activity from all contacts. I think all anyone can see without paying Facebook is just that I have an oculus account. It looks like all my facebook-oculus friends have the same setting turned on because I can't see any of their activity either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I suspect that the next cost-effective headset on the market will be PSVR 2 + third party drivers to get it working in Windows.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I suspect that the next cost-effective headset on the market will be PSVR 2 + third party drivers to get it working in Windows.

I think there's a half-decent chance it'll work natively tbh. The PS5 style is used on ALL the accessories, but it's noticeably absent on the new PSVR2 controllers like it's its own separate thing in some respect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Making PSVR2 fill the mid-range niche in the market would be very prudent of them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'll be interested to see if it has wireless; my gut says no, but if it did and it worked on PC without too much trouble, I would probably trade my Quest 2 in a heartbeat.

Also I really like the controllers, putting the ring over the wrist instead of by the fingers seems a lot more sensible.

E: oh, it's not wireless. Never mind!

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 3, 2021

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'll be interested to see if it has wireless; my gut says no, but if it did and it worked on PC without too much trouble, I would probably trade my Quest 2 in a heartbeat.

Also I really like the controllers, putting the ring over the wrist instead of by the fingers seems a lot more sensible.

I don't understand why it isn't wireless considering the PS5 has a wifi 6 chips and it seems like they could totally take advantage of the "Link Air" thing that Oculus is doing with the Quest 2.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We are talking of a unannounced device. We don't know if it will be wired or wireless, what controllers will have, what will be the resolution, etc.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Managed to finish Accounting + achievements earlier, The game is like 90% NPC dialogue and it's good, but it's a shame that there's so little for you to do and it seemed like the devs invested a ton of time creating some 'secret zoo level' ARG where the secret level doesn't even exist.

Also played and finished Floor plan in like half an hour. was interesting but sadly short like Accounting. I might get the sequel anyways in the hopes that it has more to do at least.

did some VRC puzzles and ironically enough i spent more time in those than Accounting and Floor Plan.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dizz posted:

Managed to finish Accounting + achievements earlier, The game is like 90% NPC dialogue and it's good, but it's a shame that there's so little for you to do and it seemed like the devs invested a ton of time creating some 'secret zoo level' ARG where the secret level doesn't even exist.

Accounting was one of the first VR things I ever did because I borrowed a friend's Vive over a weekend like 4+ years ago and it's free and remember laughing so goddamn hard at the skeleton xylophone urging you to play it. Like you said there's nothing amazing about it but I thought it was pretty funny and a neat intro to VR for me at the time.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dizz posted:

Also played and finished Floor plan in like half an hour. was interesting but sadly short like Accounting. I might get the sequel anyways in the hopes that it has more to do at least.

did some VRC puzzles and ironically enough i spent more time in those than Accounting and Floor Plan.

For me Accounting+ was entirely worth it only for the basketball trophy. I've never even cracked a smile at a trophy popup before but that had me actually doing full on belly laughs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

We are talking of a unannounced device. We don't know if it will be wired or wireless, what controllers will have, what will be the resolution, etc.

From Sony themselves;

quote:

It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The DAS adaptor for the quest 2 arrived and dang. What a difference. This is easily now the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. It even improves the clarity, the default straps always seemed to have the screen at a weird angle to my eyes, with the bottom not pulled in as far as the top.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

The Walrus posted:

The DAS adaptor for the quest 2 arrived and dang. What a difference. This is easily now the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. It even improves the clarity, the default straps always seemed to have the screen at a weird angle to my eyes, with the bottom not pulled in as far as the top.

Once I bought the Quest 2 I quickly realized that the base price isn't really $299 because that default headstrap is complete poo poo, so it's more like $299 + $50 for a nicer strap or whatever.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Red Robin Hood posted:

Once I bought the Quest 2 I quickly realized that the base price isn't really $299 because that default headstrap is complete poo poo, so it's more like $299 + $50 for a nicer strap or whatever.

I didn't find it as totally unusable as I expected, it was "fine", but this is like wearing a cloud

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Can you cast on airlink? Using virtual desktop I can cast just fine but theres not an option in airlink? Can I cast they go into airlink?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Red Robin Hood posted:

Another $50 for an anker battery and some straps, too.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

SCheeseman posted:

Another $50 for an anker battery and some straps, too.

Anker PD 10000 is $20 on sale right now. Velcro is a couple of bucks.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
default strap was fine but the DAS with the built-in headphones is top tier. The 3d printed conversion kit for quest 2 has undergone some revisions and seems much more robust now. Regarding the default strap, I have to imagine that most people dont realize how adjustable the default strap is. Also I think the power banks are only $50 if you are buying like 4 of them

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think of things in AUD sometimes and forget to do the conversion.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Enderzero posted:

And you don't need to put a battery on the headset to use it. I prefer to keep one in my pocket and just run the cable under my shirt.

I also get 2+ hours of battery life with the Quest 2 and that is almost always more than enough.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lockback posted:

And you don't need to put a battery on the headset to use it. I prefer to keep one in my pocket and just run the cable under my shirt.

I also get 2+ hours of battery life with the Quest 2 and that is almost always more than enough.

attaching it to the back of a headstrap helps with balance (and playing in the nude :pervert:)

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

The Walrus posted:

the default straps always seemed to have the screen at a weird angle to my eyes, with the bottom not pulled in as far as the top.

I had this problem until I realised that the angle of the arms on the headset is adjustable. That solved it for me. Really improved the image as well. There's a bunch of good fitting advice on here in the "how do I set up my quest?" section that's not mentioned anywhere on what you get in the box: https://support.oculus.com/795778631158860/

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Totally missed that there was an updated Puzzling Places demo, really looking forward to a full release of this one. It's just so clever in the simplicity of an idea that wouldn't work very well on a monitor, and it helps that the Q2 is light and comfortable enough that it's not a burden to just chill in there for an extended period of time and fiddle with the pieces.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Enderzero posted:

Where do you see it on sale for $20? I've been meaning to pick one up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

I see 10k batteries from 11€ to 22€ on Amazon.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Argh, this trigger issue of Link+SteamVR is driving me nuts. I hope it gets fixed soon.
The issue doesn't happen in VD though. And since I was running Link wired, I wonder - is there any way to run VD wired? Or is there any app that lets me set up deadzones in all of SteamVR in the Touch controllers? Because for my Q1 Steam shows the old Rift controllers, and those don't seem to have all the bells and whistles that people talk about online with Q2.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

explosivo posted:

Accounting was one of the first VR things I ever did because I borrowed a friend's Vive over a weekend like 4+ years ago and it's free and remember laughing so goddamn hard at the skeleton xylophone urging you to play it. Like you said there's nothing amazing about it but I thought it was pretty funny and a neat intro to VR for me at the time.

While I had played around with the Oculus Dev Kit 1 and Google Daydream, getting on my hands and knees for the guillotine in Accounting was my first "oh wow, VR is immersive!" moment.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I have a beast of a pc I primarily VR off of and I got the quest 2.

I deleted facebook like 7 years ago, but I just have it set so my profile says I have this account for VR and only added like 6 people so far.

Airlink or virtual desktop works great for me with a new wifi 6 router, I don't do wired except some nice headphones and mic from my pc

Wait. You have a quest you use wirelessly but then use corded headphones to your pc?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

StarkRavingMad posted:

Deep sea Indigo has a $10 coupon right now: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Portable-10000mAh-Delivery/dp/B07ZFHVDF9?th=1

Classic black is only $28

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Turin Turambar posted:

I see 10k batteries from 11€ to 22€ on Amazon.

Yeah but you specifically want Anker with Power Delivery. Keeps the quest from discharging at all while you play. Don’t get the redux it’s more money for no gain.

Tip posted:

attaching it to the back of a headstrap helps with balance (and playing in the nude :pervert:)

Exactly. And while 2 hours is usually enough, I really really like that I don’t think about the battery at all, other than plugging it in at the end of the night. Less worry about battery degradation too, I can just get a new power pack for $20-30. But the built in battery is fine for most uses for sure.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait. You have a quest you use wirelessly but then use corded headphones to your pc?
I have lately.
I spent way too much on headphones, and simulate 7.1 with the free software hesuvi

I haven't gotten bluetooth pairing to work with the set I have so cabled it is regardless.

Kiwi is taking forever to send my vr link cable and accessories.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 4, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Enderzero posted:

Deep sea Indigo has a $10 coupon right now: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Portable-10000mAh-Delivery/dp/B07ZFHVDF9?th=1

Classic black is only $28

Nice, thanks!

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Enderzero posted:

Yeah but you specifically want Anker with Power Delivery. Keeps the quest from discharging at all while you play. Don’t get the redux it’s more money for no gain.
I don't think the Q2 actually has the power delivery standard hardware in it - I have a 10,000mAh (non-pd) anker battery that puts out 2.4 amps and that already is more than the 5 volt 2 amps rated power draw as written on the headset, under the left strap fastener. I could be wrong, but it should have other voltages and higher amperages written there if it were to activate the PD standard, or some other similar charging feature. The actual power draw and battery state of the Q2 can be deceptive, since it'll sometimes run the first 20% of internal battery down before pulling from the external, but just today it kept itself at 99% immediately after a charge and just pulled straight from the external bank. I've always had a good 6+ hours of play from this non-pd spec bank, and it's always been drained first.

Oh! and if any of you are shopping for a powerbank, don't trust the mAh rating on some of the no-name batteries. They're ususally far too good to be true.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 4, 2021

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Wallrod posted:

I don't think the Q2 actually has the power delivery standard hardware in it - I have a 10,000mAh (non-pd) anker battery that puts out 2.4 amps and that already is more than the 5 volt 2 amps rated power draw as written on the headset, under the left strap fastener. I could be wrong, but it should have other voltages and higher amperages written there if it were to activate the PD standard, or some other similar charging feature. The actual power draw and battery state of the Q2 can be deceptive, since it'll sometimes run the first 20% of internal battery down before pulling from the external, but just today it kept itself at 99% immediately after a charge and just pulled straight from the external bank. I've always had a good 6+ hours of play from this non-pd spec bank, and it's always been drained first.

Oh! and if any of you are shopping for a powerbank, don't trust the mAh rating on some of the no-name batteries. They're ususally far too good to be true.

Nah, you totally might be right, when I was researching it 5 months ago people suggested the PD banks and some others with non-PD banks reported constant slow drain. Could’ve just been cheaper banks though. All I know for sure is the 10 and 20k Anker PD banks are really good and a solid price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tip posted:

Playing in the nude when Zuck specifically installed a downward facing camera? You're braver than me...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Playing in the nude when Zuck specifically installed a downward facing camera? You're braver than me...

Joke's on him, with this gut he can't see my penis :smuggo:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Zero VGS posted:

okay, so i need at least three trackers plus one.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm not sure FB could monetize grainy infared dickpicks but maybe im wrong

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Uh, from not having painting simulators, to now having two of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3mXU81GezQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYVFDNm5E7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tetris Effect finally appears on Steam (Summer 2021)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1003590/Tetris_Effect_Connected/