Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am not human (or not close enough). I feel no emotions. Watch me deliver exactly the same crappy instinctual advice as normal humans do, also.

Sure, Jones, I'm fooled alright :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Good news; Jones is also incapable of noticing when a statement is dripping with sarcasm

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Xand_Man posted:

Good news; Jones is also incapable of noticing when a statement is dripping with sarcasm

She can notice just fine. She just cannot possibly give a gently caress.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
"Jones does not get it, but also gets it" in the caption sums up her response pretty well I think.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm 90% sure, given the actual good advice she gives, that the "have you just tried talking to her" line is Jones' attempt at ironic humor.

Clearly it's about as convincing as her smile. (Though I think Tony gets it, given his reaction.)

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
For Jones, it's perfect advice haha. She has no problem doing the thing, the thing needs to be done, so just do the thing. I'm assuming Tony's response is sarcastic since it's clear he desperately wants to do the thing.

Tony, get yourself some nice gel pens, some nice paper, and write Annie a letter.

Edit:
I would say it's not terrible advice in general. A lot of people don't think to just communicate their issues, or explain their behavior. But it's not helpful for someone in Tony's situation lol.

catapede fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 3, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

I am not human (or not close enough). I feel no emotions. Watch me deliver exactly the same crappy instinctual advice as normal humans do, also.

Sure, Jones, I'm fooled alright :rolleyes:

It's not crappy advice, it is very sensible advice. Crappy advice is like "Have u tried going to the gym?" "Make a list of goals"

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I'm having difficulty communicating with my daughter : Have you tried telling her that?
We used this rope to get over the wall : Just go through the wall

Classic Jones, you gotta hand it to the lady.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This is unequivocally good and relevant advice. Tony should tell Annie his issues with communication. Maybe he needs to write a letter or use a proxy or something, but telling her is the correct step to take.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Yeah I mean he is capable of making word sounds with his mouth when Annie is around, he could try to express something about his issues. Or of course just write it down or send her a text or something.

Although now that I think of it, GC is still pretty far back in time relative to us, I'm not even sure if they have ubiquitous cell phone usage like we're used to.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Wittgen posted:

This is unequivocally good and relevant advice. Tony should tell Annie his issues with communication. Maybe he needs to write a letter or use a proxy or something, but telling her is the correct step to take.

advice people in this thread were giving last week

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lurdiak posted:

It's not crappy advice, it is very sensible advice. Crappy advice is like "Have u tried going to the gym?" "Make a list of goals"

"Imagine your mind cage, in a box,"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

Wait, actually "Have u tried going to the gym?" might just be the key to solving this whole thing.

Step One: Tony gets super buff.

Step Two: Now that Tony is super buff he can break out of the mind cage.

It's a simple matter of brawn over brain!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Although now that I think of it, GC is still pretty far back in time relative to us, I'm not even sure if they have ubiquitous cell phone usage like we're used to.

They have pretty ubiquitous mind computers and telepathy stones.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, actually "Have u tried going to the gym?" might just be the key to solving this whole thing.

Step One: Tony gets super buff.

Step Two: Now that Tony is super buff he can break out of the mind cage.

It's a simple matter of brawn over brain!

I'm sure Tony and Jimjams could work out their issues with some of that super secret swole training.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Bilirubin posted:

"Imagine your mind cage, in a box,"

Imagine four cages at the edge of a cliff.

Tony's brain works the same way.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Boxbot origin story

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Perhaps Jones can do it for him.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Isn't it nice the double Annie problem resolved so tidily and definitively? Feels like that hardly ever happens anymore.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I still on edge. “I’m totally fine.” That is lie.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So Jones opened the door just as Antimoni wanted to open it. Does that mean she rushed over to open it when she saw Anni coming or was she standing like a stone waiting.

Not funny option: coincidence

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Are we about to get a reminder that Annie can do a kind of clairaudience by having her etheric self go over to a conversation and eavesdrop?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We are perhaps about to get a reminder Annie has a mind cage of her own, the fire spirit and the two non-combined Annies are gonna be in there havin' a tea party

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
it's mind cages all the way down

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The bigger Annie has trapped the smaller Annie in her mind cage and is using her for fuel. That's why her mood has improved!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GlyphGryph posted:

The bigger Annie has trapped the smaller Annie in her mind cage and is using her for fuel. That's why her mood has improved!

Carbon neutral Annie

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I really want to see if "ether annie" is still just her, or if its more of an unnatural amalgamation of the two

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Either Annie

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

rannum posted:

I really want to see if "ether annie" is still just her, or if its more of an unnatural amalgamation of the two

Now I really want this chapter to end with someone looking at Annie in ether and her ether form being some kind of unholy Thing-like abomination of fused Annies.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Lt. Lizard posted:

Now I really want this chapter to end with someone looking at Annie in ether and her ether form being some kind of unholy Thing-like abomination of fused Annies.

Annie: I'm fine!
Ether Annie: KILL ME

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lt. Lizard posted:

It'd be interesting if Annie becomes the terrifying abomination after that has been foreshadowed for Kat throughout most of the comic.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Nope, just Annie with a weird ether-spider stuck to her head.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

rannum posted:

Ok I thought people were making jokes before, but do you guys not understand that the two Annies were not separate Annies from different timelines, but a single Antimony that Loup split into two using his powers? They were both the real Annie, but incomplete in some way.

The way people are continuing to expect another shoe to drop, revealing that in fact there are still two of them and that this is some kind of ruse, makes me think you haven't been understanding the story that's been told. Or, possibly, I haven't.

It's like that time Kirk was split into good and evil halves, not like Sliders.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 7, 2021

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
It's like when I have a file synced to cloud storage, then I my ISP goes out for a day and I work on the file offline while someone in the office messes with the cloud file. Then my internet comes back and there are now two similar but still different files in my storage that the sync program keeps bugging me to resolve the conflict of but I put it off because it's a pain until my supervisor just force merges the files anyway.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Lurdiak posted:

Ok I thought people were making jokes before, but do you guys not understand that the two Annies were not separate Annies from different timelines, but a single Antimony that Loup split into two using his powers? They were both the real Annie, but incomplete in some way.

That was presumably the intent since it looks like we’re still in line for a “merging is good” ending but it was never really presented that way. Like, what makes you say either Annie was “incomplete”, beyond backwards reasoning from the merge being good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

That was presumably the intent since it looks like we’re still in line for a “merging is good” ending but it was never really presented that way. Like, what makes you say either Annie was “incomplete”, beyond backwards reasoning from the merge being good?

I'll admit the incomplete part was kind of a last minute reveal thing, but that's how I interpreted the fight in Zimmy world.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1390627502368903169

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

The way people are continuing to expect another shoe to drop, revealing that in fact there are still two of them and that this is some kind of ruse, makes me think you haven't been understanding the story that's been told. Or, possibly, I haven't.

It's like that time Kirk was split into good and evil halves, not like Sliders.

I think the file merge might be a better explanation because the narrative has implied that these were two whole Annies rather than one halved by Loup. That's supported the most by https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2445, where her fire power is described as twice as strong. Compare that to Dealing with HER where we get a direct comparison of their powers and Perspective, where we see Courtnie tear through some wisps. Neither chapter implies that they're weaker or halved in any way, whereas this chapter states explicitly that they're combined, and that combination was a true sum of their parts.

I think it's written with the potential for a shoe to drop, but considering we had a year of two Annies, I won't hold my breath to see if/when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
git merge annie-2