Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
yea I did the bare minimum of the other event like this one... it sucks rear end

fake difficulty where I move slow and deal poo poo damage is dumb af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still don't understand how to fight Azhdaha so I just match up and play support for other people who have strong characters that aren't Geo or Melee based.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like the event aside from the vishap domain. It's nice to have threatening things in the overworld and the second domain was pretty fun.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like this is more forgiving on points than Hypostatic Symphony was. most of the 5k you need comes from running Expert 5min with +100% HP, so you don't have to take as many debuffs as in HS. that they lock your selections in and heal dead characters when leaving also make retries way more tolerable. they basically are Abyss floors with some different gimmicks, which i'm fine with. whatever is happening above 6k isn't affecting me (and is completely unnecessary for anyone) so i'm not gonna hold it against the event. wrt overworld stuff, i've enjoyed sneaking around with a version of my Amber friendship team and blowing up the rocks with bunnies thrown off the sides of mountains/tops of rooves/etc.

it does seem strange to have this as a fusion of HS and Unreconciled Stars though. 1.6 had some stuff datamined that pointed towards another HS-like thing (Celebration namecard with multiple boss faces) so i hope they can just keep events feeling fresh.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Andrast posted:

I like the event aside from the vishap domain. It's nice to have threatening things in the overworld and the second domain was pretty fun.

I do enjoy approaching the overworld encounters from the perspective of "how do I destroy the god-mode rocks before I aggro and get murdered by the enemies", especially the capstone encounters with two rocks in different spots. It's fairly simple in concept but I'd play a more expanded MGS version of this over a wider, more complex area with multiple rocks you have to find and enemy patrols to dodge.

Vishaps can go gently caress themselves, though, I agree. The second domain seemed substantially easier.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I love the overworld encounters the 3 stones ones are very mania.

Selane
May 19, 2006

I feel like increasingly often the solution to content in this game is "lol hope you have some combo of Venti/Zhongli/Ganyu". I beat all the event stuff so far without too much difficulty, but what are your options really besides use Zhongli to tank the lightning/use Venti to pull everything into the circle/use Ganyu to kill everything without having to leave the circle? It looks like their solution to accidentally making them broken is just to start balancing content around them and gently caress you if you don't have them. I have Venti and C2 on Dong and Ganyu and even I think it's getting kind of lame.

edit: The outdoor stuff is kind of funny, I feel that the enemies have weirdly low aggro radius so for a lot of the double stone things I've been able to just walk up to them/drop in and wail on them without anything even attacking me.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Yeah, there's a lot of stuff that seemingly requires a strong shield unless you want to have a bad time. The readily available shield sources (i.e. Noelle and crystallize) are just terrible, so I don't know how they expect people to do it. Do they think people are actually going to try farming up artifacts specifically for building big crystallize shields? I tried doing that during Zhongli's dark times, but gave up because it was clear his normal shield was way stronger even before the buffs. I don't know what the strongest theoretical crystallize shield would be, but miHoYo, for gently caress's sake give us a shield hp bar already if you're gonna push shields so much.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

did they buff billet drop rates or what

Selane
May 19, 2006

frajaq posted:

did they buff billet drop rates or what

People always ask this but luck is luck, sometimes you just get a couple back to back. I got a polearm this week, which is sweet since I can add it to my big pile of already unused polearm prototypes.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The first fight against the Geovishaps took me a little bit of experimentation but Ningguang with Xiangling/Xingqiu support to have her attacks constantly spit out crystallize shards meant I basically couldn't die as long since I could ult with Jean to heal when the damage beyond what the shields could handle started to add up.

You might only need 4k points per challenge anyway, since there's a little note that says after completing the 4th one a 5th bonus one opens.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like the shield strength and increased healing while shielded fruit shards, both are lowest rank iirc so they're good gap fillers after you've taken whatever big shard setup you're focusing on. i'm certainly going to chalk all the lightning i tanked up to those + Diona and Xingqiu.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Selane posted:

I feel like increasingly often the solution to content in this game is "lol hope you have some combo of Venti/Zhongli/Ganyu".

Yeah, I had the same reaction, and I'm not even a venti haver. First set of fruit buffs were super ZL/geo friendly, the ones that dropped today were super Ganyu friendly.

Abyss has felt the same. Hu Tao had been previously crushing, but this new one was a real struggle to 9 star floor 11 with her - the hydro aura that lengthens your E is just murder on her (and XQs - though sac sword helps) dmg while doing virtually nothing to slow down Ganyu. They are clearly setting it up for Eula to stomp with all the phys dmg bonus and reliance on non-skill/burst dmg, but it really shows how broken Ganyu is when they can't use mechanics to highlight other characters without also making her shine.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

i like solid snaking around the enemy positions and breaking the poo poo, it's kind of dumb but also fun.

as for the second domain it would've been more fun if the enemies didn't just chill in the thunder zone, that sucked a lot.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Azdhava is a really badly designed fight. How do you deal with his crystallize shards spawning directly under his body where you can't reach them?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Concurred posted:

Azdhava is a really badly designed fight. How do you deal with his crystallize shards spawning directly under his body where you can't reach them?

He scream crystals from he own butt

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff that seemingly requires a strong shield unless you want to have a bad time. The readily available shield sources (i.e. Noelle and crystallize) are just terrible, so I don't know how they expect people to do it. Do they think people are actually going to try farming up artifacts specifically for building big crystallize shields? I tried doing that during Zhongli's dark times, but gave up because it was clear his normal shield was way stronger even before the buffs. I don't know what the strongest theoretical crystallize shield would be, but miHoYo, for gently caress's sake give us a shield hp bar already if you're gonna push shields so much.

Yeah, I feel like they found themselves in a situation where shields would either be worthless or, well, the way they ended up (where something like Zhong Li's shield basically trivializes most damage sources).

I think the problem partially stems from not being able to see how much "HP" a shield has left. Smaller shields could still be useful if you at least knew how much they had left. The lack of visible shield HP makes a bulky shield necessary, because a small shield without HP is actually a sort of liability because you're rolling the dice about whether you can really handle incoming damage.

Another interesting alternative to the current way shields work would be if they just significantly reduced incoming damage instead of blocking it entirely. So a temporary large defense buff.

Selane posted:

People always ask this but luck is luck, sometimes you just get a couple back to back. I got a polearm this week, which is sweet since I can add it to my big pile of already unused polearm prototypes.

I think it might make more sense to ask now, since they just implemented a change to resin cost for those fights (and the way they give BP points). So they may have re-tuned something else in the process.

Probably just confirmation bias, though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

goddamn, i pulled zhongli and he's a freaking monster. even at level 60 he turns everything into easy mode. that said, i'm at AR 53 and never really bothered with shields until now, so maybe that has something to do with it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zhongli is the real cheat code of genshin. Venti makes it less tedious but no one lets you just ignore mechanics like Zhong.

Like today's domain I barely noticed cause Zhong's shield just eats it all.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ytlaya posted:

Another interesting alternative to the current way shields work would be if they just significantly reduced incoming damage instead of blocking it entirely. So a temporary large defense buff.

That would be a rather significant nerf. Blocking all damage so you don't get ragdolled around by every hit is a large part of why they're good.

I have no idea how to "fix" the generic shard shields. Maybe make them stack, maybe make them stronger - no idea. Reactions in general have needed an overhaul since release.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I haven't done the second part yet because I haven't cleared the second quest domain. Gave it a shot but the second half has those frustrating Fatui skirmishers and their Shields. Do they scale down if I decrease world level?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Crystallize is theoretically getting buffed in 1.6 along with all the electro reactions + shatter + swirl (ie, every non-melt/vaporize reaction). No one has an idea how much. It may come even later and the 1.6 beta might just be the start of tests, who knows.

Tae posted:

Zhongli is the real cheat code of genshin. Venti makes it less tedious but no one lets you just ignore mechanics like Zhong.

Like today's domain I barely noticed cause Zhong's shield just eats it all.
A 30k HP Zhong Li with a level 7 shield talent will block ~12k HP of damage. It's a lot but it's not endless.

A 25k HP Diona with level 10 icy paws will block ~8k HP. Just in terms of shield strength it's a difference of degree.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 4, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm laughing at the talk about nerfing shields because the big controversy when Zhong first arrived was "Shields suck, you can't stack elemental shields and his cause they all take the same amount at the same time!!"

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Lobsterpillar posted:

I haven't done the second part yet because I haven't cleared the second quest domain. Gave it a shot but the second half has those frustrating Fatui skirmishers and their Shields. Do they scale down if I decrease world level?

Possibly? I lowered to 7 before I started that domain, and I think they were somewhere in the 80s level wise.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Crystallize shields DO suck. One of the big talking points about Zhong Li was that Diona's shield was better, and before the 50% buff to geo shields a C3 Diona had equally strong shields as a C0 Zhong Li (and ofc vastly outperformed it in the original floor 12 which was filled with cryogunners/ice cages/icicles, which Diona's shield gets a massive buff against)

EDIT: Crystallize shields block 1277 HP of damage when a level 80 character picks up the shard. At 400 EM that number goes up to 2500 HP. Imo that's pretty terrible.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 4, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tae posted:

I'm laughing at the talk about nerfing shields because the big controversy when Zhong first arrived was "Shields suck, you can't stack elemental shields and his cause they all take the same amount at the same time!!"

I don't think anyone wants shields nerfed. They should be good and geo shard shields need to be better. It's the content that's being produced that is stupid, not the abilities.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Does excess damage carry over? If they blocked a huge attack and then just broke that'd have some utility. If it's just a temporary hp boost then not so much

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

How are you supposed to avoid the new boss's multi stomp attacks? The shockwaves seem to have unavoidable aoe range and he spams them longer than the invuln on an ult. It feels like bullshit. My guess is having an elevation skill like venti's updraft or albedos flower.

My solution so far is to binge hashbrowns and face tank.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Colorspray posted:

How are you supposed to avoid the new boss's multi stomp attacks? The shockwaves seem to have unavoidable aoe range and he spams them longer than the invuln on an ult. It feels like bullshit. My guess is having an elevation skill like venti's updraft or albedos flower.

My solution so far is to binge hashbrowns and face tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gLGRy33-_o

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
There was a mihoyo post that shields didn't stack because they didn't want to make shields too good and feel mandatory, and whelp here we are.

Release zl shields was pretty bad, because Diona was better at abyss 12 aka the only hard stuff. They had to change geo shields, aka zl, for it to be a big deal. Yes, I am ignoring you noelle

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

drat that guy must have like a billion hashbrowns by making due with basic pattern observation.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

Those guys suck, and that domain is absolute horseshit. It's amazing that they made a domain that is absolutely impossible if you rely on melee characters.

You need 3 things to beat them: Barbara, Barbara and Barbara. She's the only one that can stand in the circle and hit them with water damage (unless you have Childe) which you need to break their shields from range. So break them with Babs, and them hit them with your best ranged unit you've got (which lol if you've got a juiced Barbara, but if it works it works.) Ningguang is also an immense help to block some of their shots.

I did it with Babs, Ganyu, Ning and XQ and it was very easy.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Bring the Timely Rain fruit, run out and hit the pyro gunners with any elemental burst, pop the fruit, wait inside the circle for the rain to deplete their shields, then run back out and kill them as quick as possible.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

melee teams just need a shield or suction. i brought both even though i was using Yanfei carry, and killed those dudes outside of the circle while tanking the lightning.

the hydro amber fruit fragment is a good mention though.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, I feel like I'm the minority, but I think the difficulty of the new content is great. Every time I've fought azdaha it feels like a genuine struggle, which is cool. And with the second domain, I was breezing through it, and then I got oneshotted by the flame fatui guys. So I set the difficulty down a bit and ate some food. I just don't understand how people are complaining when you can literally change the difficulty. I hope they stay at this difficulty from now on. I'm not a pro player or a whale or anything, I could barely get 6 stars on the last abyss 11 and 12, and haven't even attempted this one cause I know I'm gonna be owned.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Those guys suck, and that domain is absolute horseshit. It's amazing that they made a domain that is absolutely impossible if you rely on melee characters.

You need 3 things to beat them: Barbara, Barbara and Barbara. She's the only one that can stand in the circle and hit them with water damage (unless you have Childe) which you need to break their shields from range. So break them with Babs, and them hit them with your best ranged unit you've got (which lol if you've got a juiced Barbara, but if it works it works.) Ningguang is also an immense help to block some of their shots.

I did it with Babs, Ganyu, Ning and XQ and it was very easy.

With strong enough shields/healing you can also just ignore the electricity field and go to town

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

With strong enough shields/healing you can also just ignore the electricity field and go to town

I only mention Barbara because everyone has her. I found Noelle had too high a CD, and I just got Zhongli so hes like lv 20 because I haven't farmed for him yet. That domain zaps your energy, so it made it hard to keep heals with Benny/Jean going. No matter how many team comps I try to run without Babs, she keeps sneaking back into my rotation.

But speaking of shields, do they stack with the damage reduction of XQ's swords? I know that different shields don't stack, but XQ is kind of in a wierd no-mans-land.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mailer posted:

That would be a rather significant nerf. Blocking all damage so you don't get ragdolled around by every hit is a large part of why they're good.

I have no idea how to "fix" the generic shard shields. Maybe make them stack, maybe make them stronger - no idea. Reactions in general have needed an overhaul since release.

I should have specified that I'm talking about a shield like Zhong Li's or Diona's, not the shard ones. Currently Zhong Li's shield is kind of OP, but that's partly because it would be really lovely if it didn't block so much damage (partly due to the "can't see shield HP" thing which would be it almost a liability if you didn't know how much juice it had left in it).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Selane posted:

I feel like increasingly often the solution to content in this game is "lol hope you have some combo of Venti/Zhongli/Ganyu". I beat all the event stuff so far without too much difficulty, but what are your options really besides use Zhongli to tank the lightning/use Venti to pull everything into the circle/use Ganyu to kill everything without having to leave the circle? It looks like their solution to accidentally making them broken is just to start balancing content around them and gently caress you if you don't have them. I have Venti and C2 on Dong and Ganyu and even I think it's getting kind of lame.

edit: The outdoor stuff is kind of funny, I feel that the enemies have weirdly low aggro radius so for a lot of the double stone things I've been able to just walk up to them/drop in and wail on them without anything even attacking me.

Qiqi to outheal the damage.

Everybody shits on Qiqi nevertheless, go figure.