Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Does anyone still have the animated GIF of the UK within the EU structures and exiting over a waterfall?

Fuckin' finally found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Definitely the gif I think about the most in relation to world events

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
should i be telling london people who can vote to do anything beyond either vote for a labour council or not vote

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Vote for a not-labour mayor to make Starmer's Labour look weaker. Same with local councils unless you know local councilors are Good Eggs

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Vote for a not-labour mayor to make Starmer's Labour look weaker. Same with local councils unless you know local councilors are Good Eggs

i mean there’s basically no way sadiq doesn’t win right? who’s the tory running against him

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bump_fn posted:

i mean there’s basically no way sadiq doesn’t win right? who’s the tory running against him

Shaun

Bailey

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

bump_fn posted:

should i be telling london people who can vote to do anything beyond either vote for a labour council or not vote

binman

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Niko because he's inexplicably polling as well as some of the major parties.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

No council elections in London, we've got the mayoral and GLA elections, which at least means an opportunity to make the wonks sweat a bit with first-choice votes. Alas Khan is almost certainly going to walk it on first-choice because Bailey's campaign has been so weak, even by the standards of a party that previously put up Shagger Norris *twice*, and the Adults In The Room as going to seamlessly shift from telling us about exactly how many flags they need to wrap themselves in before The North loves Labour again to telling us how easily won the biggest single election in the country with their carefully-selected tones of nothingness.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
It looks like you're trying to turn the weans against me. would you like some help?

https://twitter.com/BillGates/status/1389316412259270657

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Owen Jones did an interview with Count Binface which was quite jovial although he did do a Corbyn-v-Jews joke which I admit could be taken as him mocking the situation but could go either way.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Guavanaut posted:

It's that and absolutism.

Masks aren't 100% effective so might as well not bother, social distancing isn't 100% effective so might as well not bother.

Never mind that cumulatively all you're really trying to do in a pandemic is stop the healthcare system from collapsing during the peaks, because if that happens then a tidal wave of poo poo gets unleashed where people end up dead of minor accidents/injuries, and that cumulatively adding things that reduce transmission by 20% here and 30% there and so on is the best shot we have at stopping that happening.

That's too joined up though, and I guess in turn ties back into individualism again because it requires acknowledging that the reason you're extremely unlikely to die from a razor cut in the 21st century UK is in part because of living in a society, and having a system of healthcare with a capacity.

See also: green energy. So many people dismiss it because renewables were only providing x% of the UK's total energy requirements. Well yes, at the moment, but the percentages creep up annually despite our energy useage increasing, and it all makes a difference.

Solar powered masks for everyone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My German colleague had his pension invested in a Green Index Fund and he was hooting for years as it was constantly skyrocketing. That was via his German pension fund though so I couldn't piggyback.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Someone once hit me with the argument that windfarms are a scam because only a percentage of wind energy gets turned into power so they're actually very wasteful if you think about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nobody tell them about coal thermal plants.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh yeah the other percentage is converted into those soundwaves that give birds cancer and turn human beings into 5G microwave ovens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coal power except it reacts coal with anti-coal.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Someone once hit me with the argument that windfarms are a scam because only a percentage of wind energy gets turned into power so they're actually very wasteful if you think about it.

i often worry that i'm not making the most of all my hot air

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

StarkingBarfish posted:

It looks like you're trying to turn the weans against me. would you like some help?

Divorced to spend more time with his massive pile of children's foreskins.

For real though I hope that stepping in to demand that the non white countries not get the vaccine for reasons was the last straw and the divorce tears him and his wealth to shreds.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

God they really can't think more than one logical step ahead can they? Apparently 'kids aren't affected by it > kids won't die' is the extent of her reasoning. The extended reasoning of 'kids can still transmit it to adults > adults might die' is completely beyond them.

It's like all the cunts saying masks 'don't do anything.' No, masks stop other people getting it if you have it. Yes they don't protect the person wearing it, but it still lowers the risk of one case wandering round the supermarket from turning into hundreds.

I swear this all goes back loving Thatcher and her cult of individualism poo poo. They can't imagine doing anything for other people rather than themselves.

It's not even as if kids aren't affected by Covid. They are much less likely to be than adults but they still can get and die of covid.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/investigations-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html

Some of the newer variants seem to hit younger people more but the data is still a bit uncertain there.

So once they are available for kids you should get them vaccinated for their own good as well as to aid overall herd immunity. That said the entire topic right now since, as far as I am aware, none of the vaccines are approved for use for proplr under 18 yet.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

For real though I hope that stepping in to demand that the non white countries not get the vaccine for reasons was the last straw and the divorce tears him and his wealth to shreds.

Wait what?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Well, if turbines aren’t performing their primary goal of stopping all wind dead, then what’s the point of them?!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

StarkingBarfish posted:

i’m gonna gently caress bill gates

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

blunt posted:

Wait what?

Bill Gates personally intervened to argue that poor countries do not get the generic formula to make their own vaccine to protect the sanctity of copyright law because all the countries where we do our manufacturing don't have the manufacturing capability.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

blunt posted:

Wait what?

when questioned about intellectual property rights on vaccines condemning to death millions of people he seems to have said that actually thats not the problem and we, globally, literally can not produce any more vaccines any faster due to expertise and that actually obviously the west has prioritised itself.

I mean yes to how obvious that is. But you do wonder, given that india has been exporting vaccine to the west that maybe thats like total bullshit. Like if everyone is dying anyway and apparently IP isnt the problem then why not get rid of it and see what happens? But he doesnt want to do that.

I'm genuinely disappointed, i thought his 130 billion dollar fortune had made him rething things but apparently not. I wonder if his wife disagreed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bill Gates threatened to withdraw millions in donations to Oxford if they didn't sell their vaccine (which they were originally going to open-source) to AstraZeneca exclusively instead, which is part of why the Oxford vaccine's rollout has been a shitshow.

If you're wondering why, Gates has financial ties to AZ.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Bill Gates threatened to withdraw millions in donations to Oxford if they didn't sell their vaccine (which they were originally going to open-source) to AstraZeneca exclusively instead, which is part of why the Oxford vaccine's rollout has been a shitshow.

If you're wondering why, Gates has financial ties to AZ.

I dunno how the deal went down and its probably naïve to assume anything other than the worst but Oxford set about making a vaccine that anyone could produce and ended up being convinced at least in part by Bill Gates that they needed to partner with 'someone' to get their vaccine to market. Oxford apparently aren't receiving anything financially for now and the astra zeneca vaccine is cheaper than the others and is allegedly being made at cost 'during the pandemic' but theres no oversight on that so who knows.

Its a bit lol that Oxford were in part convinced they needed to do this and that they would be lauded internationally for their expertise. and actually, whilst still evidently a capitalist bullshit drug, its the closest thing to a decent attempt at humanitarianism and their only reward is to have the world say its a deadly blood clot drug and total poo poo lol.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Telegraph was genuinely a high-quality conservative broadsheet (stop laughing at the back, you) that once rivalled the Times in stature and international reputation, but the Barclay Brothers buying it out in 2004 dealt it and its reputation a slow but mortal wound. It's been getting slowly and steadily more crap year after year ever since. Peter Oborne's 2015 resignation letter offers a decent picture of what the paper's decline looked like from the inside.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

if someone starts a new newspaper it could be called like the "daily email" or the "morning hashtag" or something couldnt it lol.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno how the deal went down and its probably naïve to assume anything other than the worst but Oxford set about making a vaccine that anyone could produce and ended up being convinced at least in part by Bill Gates that they needed to partner with 'someone' to get their vaccine to market. Oxford apparently aren't receiving anything financially for now and the astra zeneca vaccine is cheaper than the others and is allegedly being made at cost 'during the pandemic' but theres no oversight on that so who knows.

Its a bit lol that Oxford were in part convinced they needed to do this and that they would be lauded internationally for their expertise. and actually, whilst still evidently a capitalist bullshit drug, its the closest thing to a decent attempt at humanitarianism and their only reward is to have the world say its a deadly blood clot drug and total poo poo lol.

There *is* an argument, given the yield problems that even AZ's own facilities had in the first few months (which led to all that drama with the EU), that there is a lot more to it than just the recipe to get it to bulk production, especially as AZ are the only company on earth with experience in producing this form of vaccine at scale.

The obvious counter-argument to that is that a proper open and collaborative process across a much larger range of facilities would have resolved these problems and possibly even been able to improve the process, and that's where we get to what I think the real problem is - even more so than the mRNA vaccines, which are always going to be pricey, the modified viral vector technique could become the predominant way of producing almost all future vaccines, and giving away the secret sauce there deprives them of billions of future revenue.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
More to the point, how old is the woman Bill has presumably been having an affair with?

Is he going down the Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson route of finding someone young enough to fall for his bullshit, or the Neil Young route of finding someone who was at least able to write their own name when he was relevant?

Also, lol at the hospitality sector losing their High Court battle against the Government over when they can open.
Imagine being led by the sort of bloodthirsty cunts who're more concerned that people will realise that home-cooked food is both cheaper and better than the slop they serve at their high-priced gastropubs, than the thousands of people who might die if lockdown ends prematurely?

Actually, don't imagine that. I wouldn't want you to get ideas :guillotine:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Surprisingly doom-laden article in the Fail by Corbyn-hating, tory loving Alex Brummer:

quote:

Boom will give way to bust: The post-pandemic bounce will generate real wealth... but it could end bloodily

During the great financial crisis in November 2008, the Queen toured a new building at the London School of Economics and famously asked the professors 'Why did nobody notice it?'

If there were to be a repetition of the meltdown in 2021, no one could say they were not warned.

Latest to join the chorus of worriers is Warren Buffett and his partner Charlie Munger. Buffet warned of the inflation risk from a 'red hot' recovery.

Each of these issues could be evidence that the whole financial system is about to go splat. All are symptoms of overheating and attempts, by those who draw attention to them, of being wise after the event.

But history tells us that it is the unexpected rather than the known unknowns which usually set off a bad chain of events.

The inequalities exaggerated by the pandemic could manifest as social unrest making football fan invasions at Old Trafford look like a tea party.

We also know that bull markets, unfettered debt (encouraged by near zero interest rates) and speculative bubbles, such as that in bitcoin, usually end bloodily. The red alerts are aplenty and there will be a time of retribution. But not just yet.

Source: heil/money/comment/article-9538279/ALEX-BRUMMER-Boom-way-bust.html

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I hope political translators don't use google translate!

Trying to translate 'angst-ridden' for my Slovenian friend which google translate uses the word for 'angry' in Slovenian.
I know it screws up Arabic considerably, but I thought slovenian might be better as it uses vowels in spelling!

used this in the end: filled with deep anxiety, especially about oneself or the nature of existence.

which google translate says is: napolnjena z globoko tesnobo, zlasti glede samega sebe ali narave obstoja.
and it I put the slovenian in, the English comes back the same as I wrote.

I don't recall if anyone on here is Slovenian!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I hate to break it to you but sometimes, under our current economic system, the dumbest and most selfish assessment of the situation is accurate.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There *is* an argument, given the yield problems that even AZ's own facilities had in the first few months (which led to all that drama with the EU), that there is a lot more to it than just the recipe to get it to bulk production, especially as AZ are the only company on earth with experience in producing this form of vaccine at scale.

The obvious counter-argument to that is that a proper open and collaborative process across a much larger range of facilities would have resolved these problems and possibly even been able to improve the process, and that's where we get to what I think the real problem is - even more so than the mRNA vaccines, which are always going to be pricey, the modified viral vector technique could become the predominant way of producing almost all future vaccines, and giving away the secret sauce there deprives them of billions of future revenue.

Yeah, this.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean they were taking on the US pharma industry. They're pure evil. Lol that people still think its not them doing everything they can to sink the AZ vaccine

its cool watching even the EU go 'yep we'll tie ourselves to US pharma companies for billions, forever.' Because lol if you think corona is ever getting cured or eradicated now. Guaranteed income every year motherfuckers

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.
https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1389188966096777219
Nadine Dorries now thinks Hartlepool has/will have twice as many jobs as it's population?
I will never understand her, as someone who has always lived near where she grew up how the gently caress do u become a tory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being a loving idiot isn't geographically restricted, unfortunately.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Jesus loving Christ

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1389457465641742339?s=19

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Clearly Jeremy Corbyn is behind this, why else would Labour be polling even worse under Starmer than Corbyn.

OwlFancier posted:

Being a loving idiot isn't geographically restricted, unfortunately.

yeah ofc. Definetly really interesting to note most of the tory MPs from Liverpool had well left the city by the 80s which explains a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

bump_fn posted:

I'm really not sure I can be bothered to go out and vote at the moment.

I've not quit the party yet, mostly because I naively hope I'll get a chance to chuck a leadership vote Zarah Sultana's way. If Khan was potentially going to lose I'd vote tactically, but I don't want to just give my vote away to the party whose leadership has been telling me to gently caress off for a year and courting bigots.