Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

You could sell out the Mid South Coliseum by offering a block of Velveeta with admission Cornette accomplished nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Even putting his actual accomplishments aside, this is the guy who kept hollering FUNNY DON'T DRAW MONEY as if it was an absolute conversation ender when he was booking ROH and making GBS threads all over Colt Cabana and others.

For him to turn around to "well you can't put MONEY ahead of your passion and values and honor, some things are just more important" is a bit of a 180.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edge & Christian posted:

Even putting his actual accomplishments aside, this is the guy who kept hollering FUNNY DON'T DRAW MONEY as if it was an absolute conversation ender when he was booking ROH and making GBS threads all over Colt Cabana and others.

For him to turn around to "well you can't put MONEY ahead of your passion and values and honor, some things are just more important" is a bit of a 180.

Funny don't draw money, but the likes of Mike Mondo and The Headbangers do?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Funny don't draw money, but the likes of Mike Mondo and The Headbangers do?

lol I forgot that Mike Mondo was supposed to be a huge babyface and Jim booked him to sexually assault a woman while making faces like a loony toon.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
...did Corny just get worked by Matt's on screen character?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Saul Goode posted:

...did Corny just get worked by Matt's on screen character?

Corny got worked by a two parter Family Guy episode.

He's not the great mind he's been made out to be by... botchamania using his face to say "That's some dumb booking"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

having sat through 6+ hours of Raven's art of booking shoots, I can tell you that most self professed wrestling geniuses are tremendous idiots that you can boil down to 2 minutes worth of "smart" soundbytes.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Corny got worked by a two parter Family Guy episode.

He's not the great mind he's been made out to be by... botchamania using his face to say "That's some dumb booking"

God I had forgotten about the Family Guy bullshit.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

coconono posted:

having sat through 6+ hours of Raven's art of booking shoots, I can tell you that most self professed wrestling geniuses are tremendous idiots that you can boil down to 2 minutes worth of "smart" soundbytes.

shhh don't say the quiet part loud or else people may start to question Jake Roberts's "psychology"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you can tell that post is true because of the use of the word "tremendous"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

^^^missed you too, homie.

Mob posted:

shhh don't say the quiet part loud or else people may start to question Jake Roberts's "psychology"

psychology is for boring dunderheads who can't get poo poo like bodyslams and arm locks over. just loving useless in today's wrestling.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mob posted:

Raven and Jake were both awesome, and also huge drug addicts who were difficult to motivate. But yes, "ring psychology" depends on the moment and the crowd and isn't preserved in amber the way Cornette and his ilk think it is. It changes with the tastes and appetites of its audience.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

coconono posted:

The Cornette DVD from the same ROH Secrets of the Ring series may actually hold up, though, because it's by far the most focused one he ever did. It's the one with the "four groups of wrestling fans" speech.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

didn't bryan on a pretty recent show tell a story about meeting some old wrestler who everyone said had great psychology, but when bryan asked him a question about his match psychology he had no loving clue what bryan was talking about?

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Vandar posted:

God I had forgotten about the Family Guy bullshit.

what's the story here

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

earlier on in this thread, i noted the word "tremendous" being used. i just want to clarify that raven's vocabulary is 5 to 10 percent the word "tremendous" and anyone watching him talk at length would likely pick that word up subconsciously and use it later on, or else use it on purpose as a way to stick their big tongue out toward raven and anyone who knew of raven's ways. not that it is a rare word, but that it is the raven word.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Destroy My Sweater posted:

what's the story here

jim cornette was so upset about the death of Brian the dog on Family Guy that he urged his fans to boycott the show until he was brought back

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Destroy My Sweater posted:

what's the story here

Jim lost his mind when Brian got hit by a car and had his listeners demand that Brian be brought back to the show.

edit: someone beat me to it!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Alaois posted:

jim cornette was so upset about the death of Brian the dog on Family Guy that he urged his fans to boycott the show until he was brought back

Jim also was so upset about Kenny's death on the debut episode of South Park he smashed up his own car, the next week when Kenny returned he had planned to get his rear windshield repaired but when Kenny died again he got so angry at the perceived betrayal he smashed his front windshield in a rage, it went on like this for weeks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

Jim also was so upset about Kenny's death on the debut episode of South Park he smashed up his own car, the next week when Kenny returned he had planned to get his rear windshield repaired but when Kenny died again he got so angry at the perceived betrayal he smashed his front windshield in a rage, it went on like this for weeks.

Some say this why he has a vendetta against anyone named Kenny to this very day.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when he used to do rf video shoots cornette said the fans don't know what chef's salty chocolate balls really means

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Alaois posted:

lmao

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mob posted:

Sadly I've been questioning that for at least a few months now. I don't know if Jake has lost his fastball or if he never had it and I was 11.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

the beginning and end of Jake's "ring psychology" was twirling his finger to let the crowd know it's DDT time

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

didn't bryan on a pretty recent show tell a story about meeting some old wrestler who everyone said had great psychology, but when bryan asked him a question about his match psychology he had no loving clue what bryan was talking about?

I think this was Bryan Alvarez talking about his interactions with the Rock n Roll Express

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Never forget

https://mobile.twitter.com/thejimcornette/status/405356913535115264?lang=en

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/412422147575787521

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oh God those are real tweets I thought this was a bit

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
My favorite part is that he seems to think him and his weird followers actually affected that. And not the fact that these episodes were written and produced weeks/months in advance. At the very least the episode that had him come back had to have been in production already by the time that one aired.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 4, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Cornette got worked into a shoot by a cartoon dying. Holy poo poo.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

coconono posted:

^^^missed you too, homie.

psychology is for boring dunderheads who can't get poo poo like bodyslams and arm locks over. just loving useless in today's wrestling.

psychology is useless in modern wrestling? that's absurd.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That Bucks/Hangman/Kenny match from last year had perfect psychology mixed with amazing athletic ability. That's psychology done right.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

coconono posted:

lol yikes

every world class wrestler currently working has great psychology. it isn't shorthand for "boring wrestling." like what the gently caress are you even talking about

Low Desert Punk fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 4, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
People think psychology is boring because boring wrestlers claim they're doing psychology.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gonzo McFee posted:

People think psychology is boring because boring wrestlers claim they're doing psychology.

Yeah. As long as the other guy could put up their hands like they wanted to hit him, Tracy Smothers could have a twenty minute match that would make the crowd lose their minds.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

depends on the wrestler but it's really a matter of that psychology not working anymore. no one would actually think jake the snake was actually trying to murder people with his snakes anymore. they've also seen too many people kick out of ddt's to look at the move the same way as back then. i mean the first part is just fans are smart so deal with it, but protecting finishers is a good example of oldschool psychology that is still relevant.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd rather watch ppl powerbomb each other rather than pretend they both have ruptured ACLs.

coconono fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 4, 2021

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
family guy and south park expose the business all the fuckin time and jim still got worked, what a mark

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Haven't listened in a long time, but there's a story he used to tell about asking Buddy Rose to teach everyone something about ring psychology and Buddy was terrible at putting it into words. Some people just aren't good teachers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

People think psychology is boring because psychology is an excuse by boring wrestler to be boring. It doesn't exist, wrestling matches are about doing cool moves and acting like a bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

People think psychology is boring because psychology is an excuse by boring wrestler to be boring. It doesn't exist, wrestling matches are about doing cool moves and acting like a bad rear end.

that last part is still psychology but i think you're just kidding here anyway