Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PDP-1 posted:

maybe they're just not great programmers

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Still though, fun game. Neat concepts. I give the final idea they settled on an A, but a C+ on the execution.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think it’s kinda weird the above ground stuff in BZ isn’t... Bigger. They put a vehicle and everything in the game but there’s no use for it because the above ground stuff is so small and the one area that’s bigger you can just use your prawn suit. Why not have the surface span the entire sea zone instead of being isolated patches at the maps edge?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Comrade Koba posted:

subnautica 2 needs to have roaming leviathans with map-wide, semi-randomized patrol routes.

nowhere will be safe :unsmigghh:

They wanted to do this in the original, though it ended up unworkable.

A lot of Subnautica's issues come down to that it took them a while to figure out what they really wanted to do with the game, what was feasible in the engine and what actually was fun and appealing. It's not an uncommon thing for games that spend a long time in early access, and there's worse cases of devs realising the core premise they've built the game aren't doesn't really work but they're too far along to scrap it and start over.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Paracelsus posted:

I thought that maybe after all these years they might have solved the "Reaper Leviathan bursts out of the terrain" issue, but no, one appeared deep in the underwater mountain caves a few minutes ago while I was looking for a purple tablet I remember being there and instantly ran off with my seamoth, again going straight through the ground and jumping hundreds of meters away in a couple seconds.

In my current game the Reaper that hangs out below the alien laser is sometimes missing and at those times I wonder if it hasn't just clipped into the island.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

This is so true it could be the thread title.

Ideally, an actual sequel would retain the visual and audio design teams from the first two games but have the actual engine coding done by competent people.

If I remember right they have a way too small of a team given how ambitious some of their ideas/projects are, which tends to lead to problems. For example, they built their own engine for the game they made before subnautica. It had some problems on release.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Comrade Koba posted:

baseless? the stupid terraforming poo poo is literally still in the game, they only disabled the console commands for it sometime last year
I mean the certainty y'all connect the terraforming feature to the pop-in on older systems. There's no connection between those two things outside of fever dreams. Like if there was any hint of a dev saying something so clear cut (and they've been on GDC yakking about different aspects of the game for hours and hours, it probably would have come up) I'd get linked that every time, but no it's just uninformed posters talking out of their collective rear end. And every time I dare to mention there's literally no backing for this from any dev at any point I just get vitriol and condescension.

Zesty posted:

:allears:

loving delight, you are.
Why do you feel the need to resort to swears? Just link the devs making this crystal clear connection that you've spent a few years bleating out for anyone who'll listen. I'm sure it exists, I'm sure you've based this on one clear sentence and don't have a Charlie-day style pinboard with red yarn connecting disparate statements to conjure up this fantasy, it's gotta be something really straightforward right?

Fallom posted:

Would that person be less mad if goons attributed the remaining performance issues to some other thing the devs never fixed?
This is directed at the person still claiming, without any basis in fact or dev testimony, that the pop-in is 100% due to the terraforming feature and no other consideration from the entire dev cycle or engine limitations or any of the countless other things? You should be asking them where their impugning insults derive from, I really can't fathom where it comes from.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Dude, loving log off

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

PSA: do not say f*ck. This level of vitriol is unacceptable. Please only call people sheep, mentally ill, or other acceptable insults.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

JawnV6 posted:

Like if there was any hint of a dev saying something so clear cut (and they've been on GDC yakking about different aspects of the game for hours and hours, it probably would have come up) I'd get linked that every time, but no it's just uninformed posters talking out of their collective rear end.

Why do you feel the need to resort to swears? 

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No swearing. This is a Christian thread afterall.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Mayhapst thou'm'd've'st furnish me with evidence ergo to the thesis claimed upon thy post?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Man the pop-in in this game really sucks, dont it? I wonder how come they never fixed it...

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

I mean the certainty y'all connect the terraforming feature to the pop-in on older systems. There's no connection between those two things outside of fever dreams. Like if there was any hint of a dev saying something so clear cut (and they've been on GDC yakking about different aspects of the game for hours and hours, it probably would have come up) I'd get linked that every time, but no it's just uninformed posters talking out of their collective rear end. And every time I dare to mention there's literally no backing for this from any dev at any point I just get vitriol and condescension.

Why do you feel the need to resort to swears? Just link the devs making this crystal clear connection that you've spent a few years bleating out for anyone who'll listen. I'm sure it exists, I'm sure you've based this on one clear sentence and don't have a Charlie-day style pinboard with red yarn connecting disparate statements to conjure up this fantasy, it's gotta be something really straightforward right?

This is directed at the person still claiming, without any basis in fact or dev testimony, that the pop-in is 100% due to the terraforming feature and no other consideration from the entire dev cycle or engine limitations or any of the countless other things? You should be asking them where their impugning insults derive from, I really can't fathom where it comes from.

I'm looking at the game's code right now (C# from the Assembly-CSharp.dll most Unity games have):

- Still has all the "Voxeland" code
- Still loads the "PAXTerrainController" that loads all the octree data
- Still generates the geometry, collision, LOD, and even some surface data (like grass placement)
- All the console commands based on position in the world (i.e. 'chunk' and 'biome') all use colliders to test against Voxeland geometry.

If I have time later today, I'll force the debug profiling stuff on and see what they have to say about performance when generating voxel chunks.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

JawnV6 posted:

I mean the certainty y'all connect the terraforming feature to the pop-in on older systems.

Are you saying here that there's no pop-in on new systems? Do I need to upgrade my 2070S to 3090 to enjoy pop-in free Subnautica?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I saw a lot of very noticeable and egregious pop-in on my M.2 with read/write speeds measured in gigabytes per second, and I am confident that unity is capable of streaming terrain better than that, so pop-in is neither an issue exclusive to older systems nor an engine limitation

If it actually isn’t possible to do better then unity seems like a very poor choice for an open world game with a lot of terrain streaming needs

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Imagine white knighting some video game developer’s honor when you can’t even be bothered to pay them for their product.

JawnV6 posted:

Picked this up when it was free

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Pop-ins are a result of a British family needing a nanny because the father’s bank job is incredibly stressful and he doesn’t have time to mind his children.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

here's one of the lead devs specifically stating that terraforming was removed because it caused performance issues. this took me about 30 seconds of googling to find.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it's awesome to see jawnv6 continue to react extremely normally when people point out the massive flaws in this game's performance. never change.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The answer is usually 'because consoles'.
I think the reason ME3 didn't let you put your weapon away was because it would have put Xbox memory over a limit.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I just got below zero and it's... actually pretty good so far. It doesn't feel as varied as the original but I think they've managed to work with the limits of their game engine this time. I'm not noticing ANY pop-in or clipping or other bugs. I didn't have much of a problem with subnautica, either, though. Moving about on land is better, but so far doesn't seem as interesting and the temp mechanic is pointless. So far. I do like that they added some weather.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s been a couple years since I played BZ, but I remember rain looked loving great from under water.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyone interested in doing a multiplayer run as best we can some time? Never gotten to try it out and none of my crew does this game.

e: obviously, no resorting to swears

Also, it looks like the multiplayer mod is incompatible with qmod, which is how you’re supposed to install the vr fixes mod. Any sensible way to get vr fixes + multi?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 4, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone interested in doing a multiplayer run as best we can some time? Never gotten to try it out and none of my crew does this game.

e: obviously, no resorting to swears

I'm out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sorry, meant to say “only swears”

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

so I'll be playing below zero for the first time when it comes out in a couple weeks and was wondering if food and water feel similar to subnautica? I felt like the survival meters improved the first 3 or so hours of subnautica but became progressively more and more of a hassle after that, without really any risk of running out of food but still having to constantly run around your farm and interrupt building your base, having even less inventory space available for materials, etc.

I read about some save file you can edit to change a save's mode, does that work with below zero too? If so I'll probably keep the meters on until they aren't improving the experience anymore and then edit them away.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

so I'll be playing below zero for the first time when it comes out in a couple weeks and was wondering if food and water feel similar to subnautica? I felt like the survival meters improved the first 3 or so hours of subnautica but became progressively more and more of a hassle after that, without really any risk of running out of food but still having to constantly run around your farm and interrupt building your base, having even less inventory space available for materials, etc.

I read about some save file you can edit to change a save's mode, does that work with below zero too? If so I'll probably keep the meters on until they aren't improving the experience anymore and then edit them away.

It's basically still the same game so food/water feel identical to the first one. An important consideration for the first few hours then completely negligible once you either make a water purifier or start farming marble melons.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Also the fish seem more animated than I remember. Better.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Once you get shrub nuts it’s unbelievably trivial

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Vaguely leftist gaming streamer hasanbi announced on steam that he was an aquaphobia sufferer and his chat browbeat him into playing subnautica

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lOb9KPgMwUY

Some level of sadism may be required to enjoy it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ikanreed posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lOb9KPgMwUY

Some level of sadism may be required to enjoy it

Since he's apparently a 20-something tube' who's every other word is brother or dude and is deathly afraid of nature and 'bugs',

I kinda do want to se him to suffer yee

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have some serious issues myself with drowning but Subnautica doesn't bother me at all.

I'm pretty pessimistic about this kind of thing, but this just comes off as a streamer just trying to get those views.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Since he's apparently a 20-something tube' who's every other word is brother or dude and is deathly afraid of nature and 'bugs',

I kinda do want to se him to suffer yee

Same, but I ain't giving him any clicks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zesty posted:

I have some serious issues myself with drowning but Subnautica doesn't bother me at all.

I'm pretty pessimistic about this kind of thing, but this just comes off as a streamer just trying to get those views.

hasan usually has tens of thousands of viewers in his stream anyway lmao, he doesn't need to do anything to 'get those views'

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yes, why would someone whose payday is dependent on eyeballs try to grow their channel? That is perfectly reasonable reply.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bad Munki posted:

Sorry, meant to say “only swears”

gently caress poo poo fucker gently caress. poo poo rear end gently caress fucker. rear end balls? Boners!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just lost a solid 3+ hours of progress in Below Zero because my UPS didn't do its UPS thing when the power flickered. (Both UPSes with a load on them just straight up shut off. The other ones in the house that weren't under load stayed on) To make matters worse, this happend right as I got back to my farm base and was about to save and stop for the night.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

gently caress poo poo fucker gently caress. poo poo rear end gently caress fucker. rear end balls? Boners!

- Guy who just lost his decked out sea moth to a reaper and is too far down to swim to the surface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That one scene from the wire dot wmv