Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

PizzaProwler posted:

I'm gonna dump out some old 'Frasier' memes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do lightsabers genuinely not stop bullets according to star wars lmao?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

OwlFancier posted:

they probably wouldn't deflect a bullet in the same way they can a blaster bolt, instead vaporizing it on impact. so really the mandalorians were giving the jedi long term brain damage from lead poisoning.

which explains a lot about the jedi.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

"Wookieepedia Entry on Slugthrowers posted:

Slugthrowers were surprisingly useful against lightsabers, as when a slug made contact with a blade, it would simply melt instead of being deflected like a typical blaster bolt. These molten fragments would then continue their trajectory toward the face or hands of the lightsaber user, and cause serious harm if they were not careful.[6]

Yep.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Starwars is so loving stupid lmao.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PizzaProwler posted:

I'm gonna dump out some old 'Frasier' memes:
:five:

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Frasier is the gold standard of television and we're all better for having lived through it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Skulk Hogan posted:

Frasier is the gold standard of television and we're all better for having lived through it.

It's uncomfortably white, but pretty good on gender and gay/lesbian topics - from a rewatch last year I don't think trans issues ever came up - and it tends to handle race with sensitivity when non-white people are on screen. It definitely does better than most shows of its era (and indeed many shows of the modern era).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

OwlFancier posted:

There's a thing with SW lore where any question you might have like "if they have robots, why don't they use robot soldiers?" or "if the Jedi can deflect blasters, why don't they just use conventional guns while on an earth-like planet?" is answered with "they did, in the past". It's cool because it turns the world of the originals into some sort of post-dark age moron zone where no one over 30 remembers the advanced society they grew up in.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

It's uncomfortably white, but pretty good on gender and gay/lesbian topics - from a rewatch last year I don't think trans issues ever came up - and it tends to handle race with sensitivity when non-white people are on screen. It definitely does better than most shows of its era (and indeed many shows of the modern era).

It helped that pretty much every man involved except grammar was gay— actors, showrunners, everyone. Very nuanced views for the time, and that came from lived experience.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

All you have to do to shoot a Jedi is tape three blasters together in such a way that their barrels form a triangle.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Did you hear the legend of the darth lord I made up to cover a plot hole?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Teddybear posted:

It helped that pretty much every man involved except grammar was gay— actors, showrunners, everyone.

Even the dog?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Sockser posted:

Even the dog?

Especially the dog.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

There's a thing with SW lore where any question you might have like "if they have robots, why don't they use robot soldiers?" or "if the Jedi can deflect blasters, why don't they just use conventional guns while on an earth-like planet?" is answered with "they did, in the past". It's cool because it turns the world of the originals into some sort of post-dark age moron zone where no one over 30 remembers the advanced society they grew up in.

I mean even the prequels are loving dumb too, instead of making more robots they decided to clone a million guys which means I'm pretty sure north korea has a bigger army than the galactic republic.

I know it's not important but aside from games that let you push people out the window of a star destroyer the most fun I have with star wars is laughing at it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The intertwining conversations here are making me think of Jedi Frasier and Sith Niles, and it's delightful.

(With former-Stormtrooper Martin.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I think the idea is that they're more like cannonball than bullets. So they swing the lightsaber cut it into pieces and then get hit by two chunks of molten metal.

Why they wouldn't just use the force to stop them when everyone can dodge or catch lasers casually I don't know.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

RareAcumen posted:

I think the idea is that they're more like cannonball than bullets. So they swing the lightsaber cut it into pieces and then get hit by two chunks of molten metal.

Why they wouldn't just use the force to stop them when everyone can dodge or catch lasers casually I don't know.

Largely because, I assume, they're so used to people shooting blasters at them that it doesn't occur to them to not use their lightsaber. They don't have perfect knowledge, they just get "projectile coming at me" and move to block it.

You'd think that once they twigged to the slug weapons, though, they'd shift to using the Force, Neo-style, when they saw Mandalorian armor. But I ain't a Star Wars writer. :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lightsabers impart no momentum whatsoever to the things they contact? That's weird

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

lasers go pew pew

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

most of the dumb and lovely technology in star wars could originally be explained as either "the empire has a bunch of expensive but fragile war machines because empires are dumb" (f-35) or "the rebels are a bunch of backwater hicks, gangsters and poors whose weapons were taped together from junkyard scraps". too bad it got franchise'd and everything has to have a Lore Answer which is also somehow way dumber than any reason you could think of on your own

like normally i would think that if you have to fight a guy who can deflect blaster bullets the answer would be have more than one guy shoot at the same time? or use a semiauto? or explosives? but no, they reinvented gunpowder just to deal with the laser sword guys

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Could a jedi give someone a handjob from across the room?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Mauser posted:

feelings are forbidden

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mauser posted:

There is a reason jedi council is in a circle.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

apatheticman posted:

There is a reason jedi council is in a circle.

That's just mandalorian propaganda... lorian

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Stexils posted:

feelings are forbidden

I ain't looking for love here master choda, I want to nut. Get that long o from a guy far, far away

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 05:16 on May 4, 2021

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Stexils posted:

feelings are forbidden

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean even the prequels are loving dumb too, instead of making more robots they decided to clone a million guys which means I'm pretty sure north korea has a bigger army than the galactic republic.

I know it's not important but aside from games that let you push people out the window of a star destroyer the most fun I have with star wars is laughing at it.

The prequels are loving dumb??? Stop the goddamn presses

I guess they don't look too bad now against the sequels lmao

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The jedi are celibate because no space pussy can compare to the flawless ability to perfectly execute autoerotic asphyxiation, hands free, with zero potential for fatal accidents.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jabberlock posted:

The prequels are loving dumb??? Stop the goddamn presses

I guess they don't look too bad now against the sequels lmao

Ugh, that's

Plotwise the sequels are not great but the prequels have like 2 or 3 moments of greatness

Mostly just Mannikan Skywalker getting roasted on both sides

And really episode 3, it's decent, compared to the first two. Big space battle, roasty toasty

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

clone a million guys

They only cloned one guy.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i enjoy the high ground memes too but let's not pretend 3 was anything other than extremely stupid. if you have fond memories it's because you saw it in a theater and those were good theater movies.

e: wasn't 3 the one with general grievous? lol. SPINNY SPINNY BLENDER MODE

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The funniest part of that whole thing is this guy:

He has a dozen wives, but it's allowed because he doesn't love any of them, they just have sex

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

The jedi are celibate because no space pussy can compare to the flawless ability to perfectly execute autoerotic asphyxiation, hands free, with zero potential for fatal accidents.

This dude canonically fucks. His race had a very low birth rate and practiced polygamy so he had 5 wives. Basically he hosed for his species.

Also no one said they couldn't bang, they just couldn't form attachements and get married and such (Except for Ki Adi Mundi). Annakin is a huge loser who just didn't consider "maybe we don't have to get married and have kids".

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Ugh, that's

Plotwise the sequels are not great but the prequels have like 2 or 3 moments of greatness

Mostly just Mannikan Skywalker getting roasted on both sides

And really episode 3, it's decent, compared to the first two. Big space battle, roasty toasty

The prequels at least gave us great memes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't give a good god drat what wookiepedia says, Kit Fisto FUCKS.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I don't give a good god drat what wookiepedia says, Kit Fisto FUCKS.

Well, a name like Kit Fisto he'd have to. Also I don't think Wookiepedia says he doesn't gently caress. It just doesn't flat out say he did.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Talkin' Fisto fuckin itt

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CainFortea posted:

Well, a name like Kit Fisto he'd have to. Also I don't think Wookiepedia says he doesn't gently caress. It just doesn't flat out say he did.

His entire bio should just be

Kit Fisto
Jedi
FUCKS