Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Also what the gently caress is figgieland
One of them youngin words the hep cats use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Now we can complete the trip down memory lane with an argument over how much money 6.5 figgies is.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That can only be 500,000

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
My situation:
The good: very interesting job at a big company with lots of internal mobility and cool projects. Very good work life balance, short commute and ability to work from home half the time. I've been working in this company since graduating 7 years ago. Every year so far I've received a very positive review and an average of 7% wage increase on top of inflation. Bosses really appreciate me.
The bad: I have the feeling I could earn a lot more elsewhere. I'm a senior software/data engineer with experience in project management and coaching a team. Yet I only earn about 60k euro's annually in Belgium before tax. This is certainly above average for my age and I'm not lacking money right now. But I still assume I'm underpaid by at least 30%, probably more.

Obviously I have dropped plenty of hints that I'm unsatisfied with my compensation, but apparently the yearly ~7% raise is really the limit of what my immediate bosses can do for me.

On one hand it feels silly to leave a job where I'm very happy and keep getting raises just for a big one-time raise. On the other hand more money is always nice. Sometimes I think I should just leave and try to come back later. It's much easier for managers to justify high starting wages than big raises.

What would you guys do?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Walh Hara posted:

My situation:
The good: very interesting job at a big company with lots of internal mobility and cool projects. Very good work life balance, short commute and ability to work from home half the time. I've been working in this company since graduating 7 years ago. Every year so far I've received a very positive review and an average of 7% wage increase on top of inflation. Bosses really appreciate me.
The bad: I have the feeling I could earn a lot more elsewhere. I'm a senior software/data engineer with experience in project management and coaching a team. Yet I only earn about 60k euro's annually in Belgium before tax. This is certainly above average for my age and I'm not lacking money right now. But I still assume I'm underpaid by at least 30%, probably more.

Obviously I have dropped plenty of hints that I'm unsatisfied with my compensation, but apparently the yearly ~7% raise is really the limit of what my immediate bosses can do for me.

On one hand it feels silly to leave a job where I'm very happy and keep getting raises just for a big one-time raise. On the other hand more money is always nice. Sometimes I think I should just leave and try to come back later. It's much easier for managers to justify high starting wages than big raises.

What would you guys do?

This is the textbook example of when you should be passively looking. (You should always be passively looking.) Don't sweat anything, pull on threads that look interesting, and eventually you'll stumble upon a job that's just as good as your current one but pays way better. Or you won't! And you'll continue to be happy at your current gig!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

xtal posted:

That can only be 500,000

Something something logarithmic measurement something something

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
How common are technical challenges/‘homework’ for technical support roles?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Very common from what my peers tell me. SQL type stuff, some basic Linux stuff, but as anything it depends on the role.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Walh Hara posted:

My situation:

What would you guys do?

I am constantly amazed at Euro wages. On our team, we have an expat in the UK pulling a US wage and he's happy as a clam.

(fe: after looking it up, with exchange rates accounted for, he's making more than me, moving him up to our highest paid team member :o. No wonder he's so dang content.)

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I'd gladly give up half if my pay just to get the health benefits and walkability of any european city.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

gbut posted:

I'd gladly give up half if my pay just to get the health benefits and walkability of any european city.

You're a computer-toucher, which is basically a global passport. Get applying.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A recruiter called my mother today to have her tell me to call them

I'm way past my 20s

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

I'm way past my 20s

Even if you were younger, that's really creepy

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hadlock posted:

I'm way past my 20s

hard pass

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I'm way past my 20s

you must call the recruiters mom now, it's the only way to save face

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Hadlock posted:

I'm way past my 20s

gently caress yeah this is the type of peak desperate recruiter chat I like to read.

Serious question: Is 6 months too short of a time to have a perm role on your cv? I'm considering going back to contracting after 6 months of a perm role.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Xik posted:

gently caress yeah this is the type of peak desperate recruiter chat I like to read.

Serious question: Is 6 months too short of a time to have a perm role on your cv? I'm considering going back to contracting after 6 months of a perm role.

If you can list something you got done that looks good, throw it on there. Don't even need to put you were only there 6 months, just list the calendar year(s)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Question for those with FAANG and similar comp packages, I'm hashing out an offer right now and just trying to do a little personal financial planning.

From what I've gathered, and from when I've had very tiny precious-sized RSU packages at past jobs, when companies withhold taxes on RSU vesting they do it at the supplemental/bonus rate of 22%.

Do you end up under-withheld as a result of this and needing to file quarterly estimated taxes to account for so much of your comp coming from those RSUs?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Question for those with FAANG and similar comp packages, I'm hashing out an offer right now and just trying to do a little personal financial planning.

From what I've gathered, and from when I've had very tiny precious-sized RSU packages at past jobs, when companies withhold taxes on RSU vesting they do it at the supplemental/bonus rate of 22%.

Do you end up under-withheld as a result of this and needing to file quarterly estimated taxes to account for so much of your comp coming from those RSUs?

I haven't had to because base pay should cap SSA, and my state doesn't have income tax. Whatever was witheld at vestment + itemization was always enough for a decent sized refund. But I have an accountant to deal with all things tax and probably don't know as much of it as I should.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I definitely got burned by this when there was the rule change and got angry letters about underpayment. I now estimate the annualized shortage and increase the withholding on my W-2 by a fixed amount per 2-weeks such that it gets covered by the end of the year (or at least within safe-harbor).

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

I got burned by this but was able to increase the RSU withholding above the default. I ate a small "you should have withheld more" fee the first year that bit me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

apseudonym posted:

I got burned by this but was able to increase the RSU withholding above the default. I ate a small "you should have withheld more" fee the first year that bit me.

These fees are super nominal, if I recall correctly. They basically amount to the interest that the IRS would have earned on a savings deposit if you'd paid your taxes on time.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

Yes, if your marginal tax bracket is higher than 22% then you'll owe the IRS barring edge cases. I haven't had to file quarterly as every year my withholding had been greater than 110% of the previous years tax burden. I check this in Oct or Nov and would up my W4 withholding to get over that bar if needed. Then I just pay whatever I owe in April.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
There's a one-year grace period where you don't have to pay a late payment fee if your withholdings would have covered your entire tax burden from the previous year so you shouldn't need to worry about it until you do your taxed for this year and have a better idea of how everything works out (or next year's taxes if you have the usual one-year vesting cliff).

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Scrubbed out on Facebook tech interview. Question one was binary trees, question two was about random numbers and producing proportionate results over continued runs. Feel like I was close though. Didn't do massive studying but at least I had brushed up on binary trees.

Different company they loved tech, didn't advance because they think I wouldn't do well with ill defined requirements/cross team/non technical people. Feel like they really misread me i do that all the time, think it's one of my strengths Perhaps I need to better tool my responses.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Comb Your Beard posted:

Scrubbed out on Facebook tech interview. Question one was binary trees, question two was about random numbers and producing proportionate results over continued runs. Feel like I was close though. Didn't do massive studying but at least I had brushed up on binary trees.

Different company they loved tech, didn't advance because they think I wouldn't do well with ill defined requirements/cross team/non technical people. Feel like they really misread me i do that all the time, think it's one of my strengths Perhaps I need to better tool my responses.

Interviewing is definitely a learned skill, separate from your relevant, "actual" skills.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Bleh. So this faang is trying to downlevel me. I'm trying to make a case for raising the level but recruiter said they'd get back to me and offered no numbers after that. Should I have waited for them to say numbers first before complaining about level?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Acer Pilot posted:

Should I have waited for them to say numbers first before complaining about level?
probably, but it's not like any harm is done. they're not gonna yank the offer cause you asked for a higher level. but at least google downlevels a lot (particularly to l4) so if the figgies are there it doesn't really matter

of course it matters how _much_ the downlevel is, too

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I know several experienced engineers who took a "demotion" to L4 to work at Google and it still came out ahead in TC than their previous "senior" engineer roles. :shrug:

Titles are all over the map in this industry, and especially at small companies title inflation is rampant since it's free to give out fancy titles.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Titles don't matter, just money.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

can't stack titles

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

probably, but it's not like any harm is done. they're not gonna yank the offer cause you asked for a higher level. but at least google downlevels a lot (particularly to l4) so if the figgies are there it doesn't really matter

of course it matters how _much_ the downlevel is, too

it's a band down. i'm a senior at a non-faang and they want to lower me to intermediate/sde2 essentially. tried to say it was because of my interview performance. i should have waited for them to say the numbers before i complained about level

:ughh:

Guinness posted:

I know several experienced engineers who took a "demotion" to L4 to work at Google and it still came out ahead in TC than their previous "senior" engineer roles. :shrug:

Titles are all over the map in this industry, and especially at small companies title inflation is rampant since it's free to give out fancy titles.

i would be okay with a down level if the money was right i guess

mainly complained about level because it would potentially lower my tc here in canada

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
A recruiter told me 9 days ago that they were hoping to get back to me about round 3 of an interview "by the end of the week", but since it's been 9 days i'm starting to get worried. Is it super annoying to check in, or should I just give it more time?

Edit: Also, everything was moving pretty quickly up until that point, so i'm thinking I probably didn't get it, but haven't heard one way or the other.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

frogbs posted:

A recruiter told me 9 days ago that they were hoping to get back to me about round 3 of an interview "by the end of the week", but since it's been 9 days i'm starting to get worried. Is it super annoying to check in, or should I just give it more time?

Edit: Also, everything was moving pretty quickly up until that point, so i'm thinking I probably didn't get it, but haven't heard one way or the other.
Totes fine to ask your point of contact for any updates.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

7 days is fine, but it's always a good idea to check in with a third party to make sure you don't sound desperate

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

it's a band down. i'm a senior at a non-faang and they want to lower me to intermediate/sde2 essentially. tried to say it was because of my interview performance. i should have waited for them to say the numbers before i complained about level

:ughh:

i would be okay with a down level if the money was right i guess

mainly complained about level because it would potentially lower my tc here in canada

If this was for Amazon, my experience with the comp at SDE2 was pretty bad in general, and even worse for years 1 and 2. They didn't seem willing to up the pay to reflect my current total comp, and other offers. Google and others by contrast may not be willing to move on level but are willing to pay outside the normal expectations for the level if they need to.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Guinness posted:

It me. Even at L4 my total comp was ahead of my previous "senior" comp.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

looks like my push back worked and the recruiter gave me senior again.

anyone in vancouver able to share what kind of tc and base i should expect from microsoft (L63) and amazon (L5/L6)?

is levels.fyi accurate for canada? there don't seem to be many responses on there

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Acer Pilot posted:

looks like my push back worked and the recruiter gave me senior again.

anyone in vancouver able to share what kind of tc and base i should expect from microsoft (L63) and amazon (L5/L6)?

is levels.fyi accurate for canada? there don't seem to be many responses on there

i got an offer for 165/55/31 (vancouver) for 63 august 2020. i interviewed for 64 and they said they couldn't give me that level but could push comp higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

i got an offer for 165/55/31 (vancouver) for 63 august 2020. i interviewed for 64 and they said they couldn't give me that level but could push comp higher

thanks. looks like they're lowballing me by a lot lol. guessing that's base/signing/rsu? would you mind sharing your years of experience? i'm still under 10 and haven't been a senior for that long.