Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Charles posted:

Did they have a Z24 at that time?
No. I think Canadian market cars had a Z22 appearance package, but GM was pretty well done with the J-body by the time they plunked the Ecotec into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Today's misadventures involve the fuel pressure regulator on the wagon. I've been having extended cranking times when cold. If I cycle the key 4 or 5 times, it starts fine. Says FPR to me. Let's get started.

The regulator is easily accessible on this car. Unlike newer cars with returnless fuel systems, the regulator is attached to the fuel rail.

Intake tube off.

Throttle body off.

The fitting on the bottom is L A R G E. The small screw on the side that I did not take a photo of is a T27.

Out.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

I will find out if this fixes the issue for sure tomorrow morning.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I bet it will, a cavalier 2.2 I worked on years ago had the same issue. It was REALLY bad though, when I pulled the vacuum ref line off the FPR gas trickled out.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Repair worked a treat. Right up until it nearly burned the car down with me in it.

I took it out this morning to go to the yard in Henderson and noticed a pretty heavy fuel smell. Pulled off the highway, and I was greeted with a gushing of fuel from the engine bay. It was coming from the fuel pressure regulator, which I had not fully seated in the fuel rail. It popped in neatly and stopped leaking. I could have killed myself. I lost over six gallons of fuel.

It's me. I am both the Worst Mechanic and the Customer That States.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kastein posted:

I bet it will, a cavalier 2.2 I worked on years ago had the same issue. It was REALLY bad though, when I pulled the vacuum ref line off the FPR gas trickled out.

That's the failure you should expect from a rail mounted FPR from what I've researched.

Left Ventricle posted:

Repair worked a treat. Right up until it nearly burned the car down with me in it.

I took it out this morning to go to the yard in Henderson and noticed a pretty heavy fuel smell. Pulled off the highway, and I was greeted with a gushing of fuel from the engine bay. It was coming from the fuel pressure regulator, which I had not fully seated in the fuel rail. It popped in neatly and stopped leaking. I could have killed myself. I lost over six gallons of fuel.

WELL poo poo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BTDT with a hose clamp that loosened up on the output of a Walbro GSL392 pump.

On the inside of the frame rail.

Right next to the exhaust.

It's kind of amazing how not-flammable a shitton of gasoline can be.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Left Ventricle posted:

DRIVE FASTER!
:grovertruk:

It's happened to lots of us. I know I had a line come off of a CIS pump, which runs at like 90psi. Nice, fine, atomized cloud of fuel and open headers.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Gentlemen.

poo poo's about to get serious. This is a cam and custom pushrods for the wagon.

Also picked up some 2" drop shackles for the Ram.

Also also, I sent the Ram to a shop to have the transmission rebuilt. $2200 later I have a running driving truck with meat locker air conditioning, just in time for another Vegas summer!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I assume Vegas has awesome AC repair shops? Here in TN it’s freaking black magic no one can guarantee anything gets fixed or they straight up lie about what’s wrong

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

everdave posted:

I assume Vegas has awesome AC repair shops? Here in TN it’s freaking black magic no one can guarantee anything gets fixed or they straight up lie about what’s wrong

AC works great in the truck. I guess my wording is a little wonky.

In other news,

This morning I was traveling at perfectly safe and legal speeds and totally not playing with a Fiesta on the highway when I glanced in my mirror and saw smoke billowing from the back of my car. Given the fact that I have been mercilessly beating on this junkyard engine for over 50k miles without ever cracking it open, it's not really surprising that it's now burning oil prodigiously at WOT. Shown above is my rear bumper with oil splattered all over it. The rear window was moist as well. So now I NEED to get another engine. Good news is, it doesn't appear to be smoking much, if at all, at idle or under light to moderate load. So I should still be able to pass emissions before my registration is up in June.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Where do you think it's coming from, rings? Valve seals?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Left Ventricle posted:

Gentlemen.

poo poo's about to get serious. This is a cam and custom pushrods for the wagon.

Omg yessss. I had a 1990 Z24 with the 3.1 and I dreamed so much about getting performance parts for it but they just didn't exist or I wasn't able to find anything at least since it was early internet days when I had it. So cool that it's a wagon too, way cooler than a Z24, at least to me.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kastein posted:

Where do you think it's coming from, rings? Valve seals?

Probably rings. It didn't smoke at idle or when revving in neutral, nor when I stalled the converter. So far that was the only instance. I will keep oil in it for now and hope for the best.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Omg yessss. I had a 1990 Z24 with the 3.1 and I dreamed so much about getting performance parts for it but they just didn't exist or I wasn't able to find anything at least since it was early internet days when I had it. So cool that it's a wagon too, way cooler than a Z24, at least to me.

:hfive: Soon, friend. I can get another LX9 for $300 locally.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's at least one crazy motherfucker with a 3.4 out of a fourthgen Camaro in an Opel GT and it seems to be one of the better-fitting V6 swaps.

Between that and this thread I must say I've been tempted on occasion.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You sure it didn't start pissing out of a crank seal? My F-150 would absolutely coat the rear bumper and tailgate just from that (and I had to add a quart roughly every day). Along with windshields of anybody stupid enough to tailgate me.

When my Integra started burning oil like mad, it smoked BAD, but it didn't leave mist.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

STR posted:

You sure it didn't start pissing out of a crank seal? My F-150 would absolutely coat the rear bumper and tailgate just from that (and I had to add a quart roughly every day). Along with windshields of anybody stupid enough to tailgate me.

When my Integra started burning oil like mad, it smoked BAD, but it didn't leave mist.

I'm not sure, but any oil spraying out is cause for concern. At any rate, new engine acquired. Will edit with pics.

EDIT:
Truck doing truck things.

The little engine that couldn't.

It's the correct one.

Unfortunately for me, the car this engine came from was in a crash, and the yard I bought it from said that they typically don't get the key when they come in like that, so I have no idea how many miles are on it. However, I will be tearing it down this time, if only for the cam install.

EDIT ANOTHER:
Wife is tired of doing the rear transmission mount for me, since I have giant meatball hands and hers are small and dainty and able to reach the bolts for it. She wants me to buy some polyurethane transmission mounts. They're specified for a Fiero but the design looks identical to what I have. Not really surprising since the Fiero subframe is an X/A-body subframe, and the drivetrain is shared as well. $90 each is a little eye watering, but they would basically be a lifetime part. But how far down the rabbit hole does that lead? Poly dogbone? Poly engine mount?

Anyone here have experience with poly mounts, with regards to durability and NVH?

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 27, 2021

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Poly mounts depend entirely on the car. Longevity is also totally variable in my experience. Based on how often you replace rubber, I’d wager it’ll last significantly longer but maybe not as long as you think. I tend to not like poly mounts, preferring hard rubber or (where appropriate) aluminum or delrin.

Are your other mounts in good shape? Is there a roll restrictor of some sort you can put a poly insert into to prolong the life of the mounts? I’m pretty sure your car has that dogbone up front, maybe that could do with a hardened version to keep things more in check.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Poly mounts depend entirely on the car. Longevity is also totally variable in my experience. Based on how often you replace rubber, I’d wager it’ll last significantly longer but maybe not as long as you think. I tend to not like poly mounts, preferring hard rubber or (where appropriate) aluminum or delrin.

Are your other mounts in good shape? Is there a roll restrictor of some sort you can put a poly insert into to prolong the life of the mounts? I’m pretty sure your car has that dogbone up front, maybe that could do with a hardened version to keep things more in check.

ZZPerformance offers poly inserts for a stock dogbone, but I'm not worried about the dogbone. The rest of the mounts are made of low quality rubber that deteriorates fairly quickly. I have had to replace the trans mounts at least three times in 8 years of ownership, and will be again when I swap in the built engine. So they really only last a couple years. There are no other options I have found, aside from those Fiero pieces.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Maybe you could make your own mounts with an investment mould or something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Left Ventricle posted:

It's the correct one.

Unfortunately for me, the car this engine came from was in a crash, and the yard I bought it from said that they typically don't get the key when they come in like that, so I have no idea how many miles are on it. However, I will be tearing it down this time, if only for the cam install.

You have the VIN right there. There's sketchy people on eBay who will run an Autocheck or Carfax for $5-10. Won't get you the exact miles, but it'll give you a rough idea... assuming they do vehicle inspections where it was last registered.

e: you don't need the key to get the odometer reading (you can generally press the trip reset button to get it to light up), but I found the car on their website... pretty sure the battery used to live in the part with the worst damage, so I can't say I blame them for not wanting to possibly hook up a battery for a moment. It has a dealer sticker from MO on the trunk, FWIW. Looks like it was in good shape before the wreck though.

e2: well that's really creepy, typing the VIN into google turned up the owner. :stare: She still lives in MO, apparently a 70 year old lady if this totally legitimate looking website is to be believed. Wonder how the car wound up in NV?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 28, 2021

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

ZZPerformance offers poly inserts for a stock dogbone, but I'm not worried about the dogbone. The rest of the mounts are made of low quality rubber that deteriorates fairly quickly. I have had to replace the trans mounts at least three times in 8 years of ownership, and will be again when I swap in the built engine. So they really only last a couple years. There are no other options I have found, aside from those Fiero pieces.

Ah I didn’t realize it was a rubber quality issue not a fatigue issue. The only way to know for sure is to try, unfortunately. Pay attention to how people phrase their impression of the vibration and you might be able to tell how annoying it is, even if they don’t come out and say it directly.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
R A M

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry, what kind of truck is that? Hard to tell from the pics. :crossarms:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's a rather bold invitation to an insurance scam. The owner just wants to sue someone for whiplash.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

monsterzero posted:

I'm sorry, what kind of truck is that? Hard to tell from the pics. :crossarms:

The tow mirrors aren't in full manspreading position so it's clearly not a RAM

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
One of my coworkers saw it this morning and described it as "loud". :lol: Exactly what I was looking for.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

God I hate that. It's like some sort of compensation for inadequacies.
Even worse is the awful grille that usually goes with the larger tailgate letters. This nasty thing:

Left Ventricle posted:

One of my coworkers saw it this morning and described it as "loud". :lol: Exactly what I was looking for.

That's a fair description. It's shouting.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The bigass RAM logo also makes that little dent in the tailgate super noticeable.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I can't not see goatse grille.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cursedshitbox posted:

lmao now I see it thank you csb

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I could also do this: Sterling grill

I like it, but I don't know if I $400 like it...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

:fuckoff:

:sigh:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I just read this thread from start to finish; it’s the longest thing I’ve read since LOTR. Goddamn LV, this is glorious and I shall be eternally grateful none of this mess is mine. I eagerly await the crazy bullshit you’ll be able to do now that it appears you have a reliable DD.

Left Ventricle posted:

Time for a surprise. :unsmigghh:

Nacho cheese is only an appropriate substitute for wheel bearings, not coolant.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
First full tank of fuel in the Ram: 18 mpg. EPA rating: 14 city / 19 hwy. Pretty good, I say.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Left Ventricle posted:

First full tank of fuel in the Ram: 18 mpg. EPA rating: 14 city / 19 hwy. Pretty good, I say.

Sounds about right. I get 11.5-ish combined with the 4.7l and 3.92 rear, towing a trailer half the time.

Weight kills mileage. With a full 35 gallon tank, all my tools, and me sitting in it, the thing weighs just shy of 5000 lbs.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Time for some more truck work. Today we're doing shocks.

I would wager the suspension has needed to be addressed for some time, based on the wear pattern of the control arm under the bump stop.

And the sway bar end links probably need to be handled at some point.

Fun fact: it appears as though both 2WD and 4WD trucks use the same front hub!

O R I G I N A L shocks. Old and busted vs. new hotness.

Bonus daughter foot.

Chrysler spared no expense, it seems. Tokico is at least a brand I've heard of.

I held off on doing the shackles, because by the end of it, I felt like I'd been shackled. Maybe next weekend? That will give the shocks time to settle in. Seems better so far, but all I did was drive up and down my street a couple times.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Thread of the Century is this weeks AI Community Showcase :)

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thread of the Century is this weeks AI Community Showcase :)

You’re a bad influence. Now something expensive will break and we’ll all be entertained by Lv’s pain.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I'm glad of it because this thread rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Steely Dad posted:

I'm glad of it because this thread rules

this

plus i chuckle at the title pun every time i see it, so putting it right at the top is an improvement to my forums experience