Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I remember it being talked about a while ago but does anyone have any tips for cultist simulator? My most successful run thus far I kinda seemed to hit a brick wall and eventually just crumbled after about an hour of making no progress.

Mainly wondering if I should be spreading out or leaning in to one of the three main stats to start. Last run I went reason/passion which was good when I couldn't seem to make any money off of a level three(maybe four?) passion skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Spoilers about some mechanics ahead, CS is a pretty old game at this point but maybe somebody wants to go into it blind:

Your stats don't really matter, which is to say that you're going to want max them all eventually. I typically focus on health first just to make sickness easier to juggle.

The easiest way to make money in CS is to just play the Doctor, because that gives you an unlosable 2-coin job. If you're not playing the Doctor, generally you have two choices for making money: the clerk job or writing essays for patrons. The clerk job starts out as subsistence and you need to kill or humiliate your bosses to proceed (via Edge or Grail followers or hirelings). Grail is better because it doesn't generate notoriety but you're probably not doing heists that early on so it doesn't matter, you can always wait it out. The peak of the Clerk job is technically the fastest and best moneymaker, but it has one big advantage/disadvantage: it absorbs notoriety, but as it does it takes longer to earn coin and eventually you'll be fired (with an extremely generous severance package). Thus, technically, the best way to earn coin for a standard run is to grind out Clerk and then spend like 30 minutes just doing things that don't generate notoriety so that you can build a massive dragon's hoard to live off of for the rest of the game.

You unlock patrons by publicly talking about lores. For some reason doing this is far and away the best way to find both patrons and followers, because it only generates mystique. Finding people via rumors from your dreams generates notoriety. No, it doesn't make any sense at all. Patrons want you to do essays on lores and they pay you in Spintria, which happen to be extremely valuable at the auction house and not particularly useful otherwise outside a few ritual setups. Thus, the other way to earn money quickly is to buy a bunch of books while you do another job, find patrons, and then sell their Spintria at the auction house. You basically need to talk about lores to find followers anyway, so every character will bump into all the patrons eventually.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
Awesome! Thanks for the tips. Even having read that I don't feel particularly spoiled, which I really appreciate. I just happened to pick the game up this week for $3 google funbux and I'm really digging it.

Reading your post I can tell my problem was being afraid to publicly speak about lores. The tooltip seemed to imply it would give me notoriety, which I really didn't want.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, I assumed that too my first time playing, after all there's plenty of other options to just shoot yourself in the foot.

One last tip: the patron Sulochana Amavasya is nominally only useful for characters pursuing the Dancer endings. She doesn't offer commissions. But in reality she's the best one: talking to her opens up a slot that you can put any card in for 60 seconds, and when a card is slotted its timer stops. So if you have something temporary that you need to keep around and you can sacrifice your Talk slot, she's a lifesaver. This is basically the only way to keep Influences around long enough to combine or use them, for instance.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Mad props to whoever titled this thread.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Schwarzwald posted:

Mad props to whoever titled this thread.

Roguelikes - Tiles are better. Don't @ me.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I need to get this dumb joke off my chest, sorry

Roguelikes: H@H, you're dead

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Roguelikes - Tiles are better. Don't @ me.

Also very good

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duderclese posted:

I remember it being talked about a while ago but does anyone have any tips for cultist simulator? My most successful run thus far I kinda seemed to hit a brick wall and eventually just crumbled after about an hour of making no progress.

Mainly wondering if I should be spreading out or leaning in to one of the three main stats to start. Last run I went reason/passion which was good when I couldn't seem to make any money off of a level three(maybe four?) passion skill.

I'm a few runs in and what's been working well for me is spending a good while at the start of a game getting the basics in order. 4 in every stat, bunch of cash, steady job, collect some people. Try not to get in trouble, mystique is fine. That's usually when I start working on buying books and reading them, saving up the poetry/essay books for when I want to get the related skill to 5.

Painting is a very nice job.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Yeah, I assumed that too my first time playing, after all there's plenty of other options to just shoot yourself in the foot.

One last tip: the patron Sulochana Amavasya is nominally only useful for characters pursuing the Dancer endings. She doesn't offer commissions. But in reality she's the best one: talking to her opens up a slot that you can put any card in for 60 seconds, and when a card is slotted its timer stops. So if you have something temporary that you need to keep around and you can sacrifice your Talk slot, she's a lifesaver. This is basically the only way to keep Influences around long enough to combine or use them, for instance.

Thanks so much for the tips!

please knock Mom! posted:

I'm a few runs in and what's been working well for me is spending a good while at the start of a game getting the basics in order. 4 in every stat, bunch of cash, steady job, collect some people. Try not to get in trouble, mystique is fine. That's usually when I start working on buying books and reading them, saving up the poetry/essay books for when I want to get the related skill to 5.

Painting is a very nice job.

For the life of me I cannot figure out the formula to make money from painting. All I do is generate a lot of mystique, occasionally notoriety. And of course sweet paintings with weird rear end pigments.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If I remember correctly, there are basically two (non-unique) kinds of paintings. If you put in lores and influences and so on, you make “real art” and get Mystique and other intangible poo poo. If you put Mystique and Notoriety in, you make a painting for sale and get cash.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Like everything in Cultist Simulator, it's complicated.

The wiki page has a deep dive into the mechanics of it, but I'll just give you a tl;dr.

Passion improves your paintings by giving you insight and gives you intangibles like happiness. Mystique and notoriety improve your sales. Notoriety is worth two mystique, but the tradeoff of course is that the timer won't tick down while it's being used. There's an upside: with sneaky pause timing you can "hide" notoriety from the detective this way by slotting it in right as his timer rolls over but before his slot magnetizes the notoriety into it.

If you paint lores or summons, you gain notoriety. Otherwise you just gain insight, which is represented by the little lightbulbs along the bottom. The message you get at the end hints at your reputation, which influences how likely you are to get paid. However, there's a Staleness mechanic that punishes you for grinding out unremarkable art. If you don't paint art of at least 4+ Insight to counteract it, you start losing out on chances to earn coin no matter how much mystique you put in.

In general I rarely paint for money, mostly because I don't like mystique keeping the detective snooping around constantly. I paint to burn Restlessness, hide notoriety in a pinch, and occasionally to make a special painting if I need a decent tool for that lore.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
0.9.9 "More" on Jupiter Hell---the bolstering continues.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/811320/view/3076498560625900473

quote:

Our unique objective system moves to stage 2 - now one of the three branches per moon is locked, and a message will tell you how to unlock it. More importantly, we introduced mini-level quests, also found through messages, that pose bite-sized optional challenges with potential for really good loot! There are four types of mini-levels of different challenge, rewards and rarity, and all of them have randomized layouts.

Exotics
The amount of exotics in the game has been more than DOUBLED! Among many new exotics, each with their own unique and interesting perk, you'll notice that now you can find exotic armors and exotic headgear. Some of these are class specific, giving class specific perks - don't worry, they only appear in the loot pool if you play the matching class :).

Oh, almost forgot - there are two REALLY powerful and rare exotic mods to be found!

Animations
Several internal improvements to the animation system have been made. The out facing effects are much better directional tracking (like in Onslaught or enemy bot turrets), finally the intended door animations, camera movement improvements and actual elevator doors. Most notably however the player and human enemies will now lean when shooting from behind a corner!

Also... the player can also be gibbed, so don't throw plasma grenades under your feet.

Trait options
The first thing you'll notice is that you can now delay trait choices for later - maybe you want to decide what build to go for based on the messages found in the Callisto L2 terminal? Maybe you're keeping a Ironman level in store for a small emergency heal? Anyway, you can store trait points and spend them any time in the trait view of your player menu.

The other thing is buffs to three master traits - Onslaught (apart from improved animation) will now work with automatics and SMGs, and will benefit from Sustained Fire. Additionally, the L1 dodge penalty has been reduced to -30%. Survivor now grants a critical chance bonus dependent on your HP (and has changed prereqs), and Blademaster/Bladedancer have now kinda switched places. You can dual wield blades using Bladedancer and Blademaster gives you automatic attacks after move (Blade-kata? :P).

Station options
Manufacture stations now have the dismantle option, so if you bring an extra multitool to charge them you can manufacture a new weapon and transfer your old mods to it at the same time.

Technical stations now have an Auto-calibration option. For the cost of one charge you can add a very interesting perk to your weapon, check it out (auto-calibration comes also in a kit form). Oh, and repairing at technical station always fully repairs at the cost of that single multitool!

New enemy generation algorithm
Enemy count and type that is placed in a level is now based on the experience they give - hence we get a much more consistent level progression and danger level. XP gains between difficulty levels have also been normalized. As a bonus, Callisto L1 is now guaranteed to give you your first trait if you clear all enemies!

Angel of Exaltation
We noticed that all existing challenges have been beaten on Nightmare, so we're adding Angel of Exaltation for the 1% of crazy marines out there. Like Nightmare, this Challenge isn't even remotely fair! You've been warned!

Minor changes and fixes
Knives have now 50% swap time (why didn't they?), the special loader mod is no more, but a sustain mod is in its' place! Whizkid L2 doesn't grant an extra mod slot, but mod slot counts have been improved.

Quite a few bugs have been squashed, including most importantly one that's been with the game since 0.9.0 that produced an invisible player duplicate. Several Vulkan memory leaks have been squashed, improving stability.

Uniques get the Content Hose next come roughly end of the month~

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

How much has Jupiter Hell improved since it started Early Access? I remember some very negative inital impressions.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Roluth posted:

How much has Jupiter Hell improved since it started Early Access? I remember some very negative inital impressions.

It's in a really good place right now. It's still not quite as fully realized as DRL, but it's getting closer with every patch. Can't wait to try out this one tonight.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I am such a sucker for some Cultist Simulator chat. Painting was changed from being extremely lucrative to somewhat lucrative after you learn how it works. I think it's more trouble than it's worth now (all this mystique clogging the board) , and after the early game I turn to patron commissions.

The key to learning to play is really learning how to manage the various things that lose you the game: lack of money, being too notorious, and going insane. For the base ascension anyway. Even the most conservative player in the world will have to deal with notoriety and despair/fascination so you might as well lean into them and learn what to do with them.

In at least one game some things happened and I had maybe 10 notoriety on the board. Come and get me, detective. :unsmigghh:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

anyone try out orbital bullets yet? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167680/Orbital_Bullet__The_360_Roguelite/

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

SettingSun posted:

I am such a sucker for some Cultist Simulator chat. Painting was changed from being extremely lucrative to somewhat lucrative after you learn how it works. I think it's more trouble than it's worth now (all this mystique clogging the board) , and after the early game I turn to patron commissions.

The key to learning to play is really learning how to manage the various things that lose you the game: lack of money, being too notorious, and going insane. For the base ascension anyway. Even the most conservative player in the world will have to deal with notoriety and despair/fascination so you might as well lean into them and learn what to do with them.

In at least one game some things happened and I had maybe 10 notoriety on the board. Come and get me, detective. :unsmigghh:

I picked it up because it was like 3 bucks and it's interesting. I think I bought too many books because I ended up getting sick eventually and couldn't keep working over time which was tying up my Reason into a death spiral eventually.

Was annoyed I could find no topic that led to anything with the club owner lady, and when I tried to go to the club with her, I got an ad for DLC. From an earlier post, I guess she's really good because she can hold things for a minute at a time, but that's well beyond my abilities.

On topic, the Jupiter Hell update does sound pretty cool. I liked DRL but never got as into it as a lot of people, not sure JH would solve my lack of willingness to engage more deeply with the mechanics, i.e., corner firing and understanding the timing of actions, etc., which I'm sure add a lot of depth but to me seem to require a technical level of skill I'm not interested in learning when I just want to shoot some demons.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah Sulochana is a key player in the Dancer DLC. I never really thought about how the game handles players that don't have the DLC so that's interesting to learn. She has other uses even in the base game beyond being a safe place to hold timed cards but you'll learn those will time, probably.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I need to get back into Cultist Simulator but I've probably forgotten too much to fall back in

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

It's in a really good place right now. It's still not quite as fully realized as DRL, but it's getting closer with every patch. Can't wait to try out this one tonight.

Is it still missing text mode?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Chaotic Flame posted:

I need to get back into Cultist Simulator but I've probably forgotten too much to fall back in
I had that feeling for a long time, and then it came out that Alexis Kennedy is a sex pest and I stopped feeling guilty about never finishing it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chaotic Flame posted:

Well,that game was mostly about the discovery itself of how it's played, once you know it, it lost charm quickly, as it transforms into a series of spinning plates and repetitive missions.

So forgetting about it is good, I guess?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah the plate spinning just made me low key anxious, i never got far in the game

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think I lost interest around the midgame of Cultist Simulator because I had a solid idea of what to do and enough resources to stave off death for seemingly forever, but I just had to do so much grinding.

Maybe it would've gotten harder or more interesting later, but I quickly ran out of patience.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

pumpinglemma posted:

Basically pages upon pages of “we just want to be able to join the nazi faction for the immersion”.

Colour me shocked. Last year (or the year before?) a bunch of Polish developers put out Warsaw, basically Darkest Dungeon except you're playing as the Polish resistance in Nazi-occupied Warsaw. It's loving dire as poo poo, you start meeting enemies from the Dirlewanger Brigade and encounter war crimes right from the start. Obviously a very meaningful game with a lot of important stuff to say about the horrors of life in Nazi-occupied Warsaw.

On the Steam forums the biggest threads were "Can you add in a game mode where you play as the Nazis" and "Can you add in multiplayer so I can play as the Nazis". And not in any trollish shock humor kind of way, but couched in five layers of learning about history and not all SS members were war criminals you know, they were just trying their best in a difficult situation and furthermore...

All from people with names like Eisenadler. The amount of unironic nazi gamers is shockingly big.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arzaac posted:

Maybe it would've gotten harder or more interesting later, but I quickly ran out of patience.
If you know anything about Fallen London, the questline for Seeking Mr. Eaten’s Name, the longest and most brutal one in the game that involves deliberately burning through huge amounts of resources and maiming your character for nothing but some optional plot content, and that ends with the character becoming permanently unusable? Designed almost entirely by Alexis Kennedy.

The man thinks grinding is difficulty.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Haven't seen this in the thread yet but I've been enjoying Devil Slayer - Raksasi. It's an action roguelike that cribs from a lot of other popular action roguelikes but has slower, deliberate combat that feels Souls-y and is really fun. The art (other than the anime waifu main characters) reminds me of a medieval China by way of Dark Souls, Berserk or Diablo II.

Each run you choose to play as 1 of eventually 7 devil-slayers, each of which is essentially a separate class. Each character has her own playstyle, abilities, weapon sets, and unlockable passive perks, and they all play very differently.I've been using Xilvaron who's a quick twin dagger demon lady that's super mobile and has an area stun as her special ability. On a given run you go from room to room in a grid like in Binding of Isaac, collecting artifacts that can add standard effects like +20 stamina, or more exotic effects like making it so your footsteps leave damaging pools of flame, or summoning an explosive puffer fish that kamikazes into enemies for splash damage and respawns every room. Like in Isaac, you can end up with a ton of crazy effects all going off at once. Along the way, the enemies you kill drop "souls" that are essentially the cells in Dead Cells, which you carry to the end of each level and invest into character upgrades, new items, and additions to the level generation, so for example you can buy an upgrade that adds a secret room to every level in a run where you can find additional goodies if you reveal it.

There's a really good variety in the game from level to level. Each level has multiple bosses to unlock, and a lot of different types of enemies that all behave pretty differently. Each level has its own big set of mooks to fight. You also get infighting between enemy factions, so in a given room you may have a brawl between undead and living soldiers, for example. You could let them fight it out, but you miss out on the souls if they kill each other. The environmental hazards also vary pretty significantly, and can factor into your strategy like in a Hades or Curse of the Dead Gods.

It's still on version 1.0 after exiting its EA period about a week and a half ago, but I haven't really run into any bugs that I've noticed. My main criticism is the spotty English translation (the devs are in China), but it's serviceable and the dialogue is very spare and unremarkable. The interface can also clutter up the action a bit since it basically shows you everything all the time, but I'd be surprised if they didn't address that in an update. The rest of the game feels great to play and seems very content-rich, and I recommend it if you like any of the other action roguelikes I mentioned in this post!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

girl dick energy posted:

If you know anything about Fallen London, the questline for Seeking Mr. Eaten’s Name, the longest and most brutal one in the game that involves deliberately burning through huge amounts of resources and maiming your character for nothing but some optional plot content, and that ends with the character becoming permanently unusable? Designed almost entirely by Alexis Kennedy.

The man thinks grinding is difficulty.

Honestly I just looked up that quest line and it seems kind of cool. I like the idea of being able to decide you have nothing left to do in an online game and completing a big endgame quest that permanently retires your character

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

goferchan posted:

Honestly I just looked up that quest line and it seems kind of cool. I like the idea of being able to decide you have nothing left to do in an online game and completing a big endgame quest that permanently retires your character

It isn't even really that though. It's something you have to work towards, dedicate yourself to doing, above and beyond enjoying the game. Even an endgame character is going to have to spend a lot of time giving up their progress to complete the quest. I spent hours building up the stockpiles needed to blow through another small chunk of the story. I would really really love to read the storyline because it seems like an amazing piece of work, and I wouldn't mind putting in the work or making sacrifices, but you have to put hundreds of hours towards reading a few paragraphs.

I love that setting but they have yet to make a product in the setting that I was able to dig into and explore long term. Even the Sunless games want you to hate yourself before they will divulge their secrets, and they don't have microtransactions they're trying to upsell.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah actually my wiki dive prompted by your other post has me thinking about giving Sunless Skies another shot. I liked parts of it when I tried it before but it's so loving slow! They make cool games but I don't know if I'd say they make fun ones

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

goferchan posted:

Yeah actually my wiki dive prompted by your other post has me thinking about giving Sunless Skies another shot. I liked parts of it when I tried it before but it's so loving slow! They make cool games but I don't know if I'd say they make fun ones
They're coming out with a free expansion in a few weeks called the Sovereign Edition. Might be worth waiting til then if you're thinking about diving back in.

I don't think it will lessen the grinding at all, but if you're going to subject yourself to it again, you may as well wait til it's feature-complete (to be clear, I am also thinking about giving Sunless Skies another shot).

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
It's new and potentially interesting : a climbing "roguelite" https://store.steampowered.com/app/1385100/Insurmountable/

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Phetz posted:

Haven't seen this in the thread yet but I've been enjoying Devil Slayer - Raksasi.

I like that you didn't mention the weird violently horny game over screens at all. It's a pretty good game if you can get past it but lmao imagine if in Dark Souls every time you died instead of the big "YOU DIED" text you just got a big drawing of your dead character with most of their clothes torn off and also you can, strangely, only play as young women.

Loddfafnir posted:

It's new and potentially interesting : a climbing "roguelite" https://store.steampowered.com/app/1385100/Insurmountable/

Bizarre that this exists but extremely interesting, anybody here played this yet?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In the roguelite side of things, how is this one?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/465200/Fury_Unleashed/

It has been included in the last Humble Monthly, it's why I'm asking.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's pretty OK. I bought it from a summer sale a few years ago, and it's a fun shooter, kind of like a roguelite Soldat. I kind of bounced off it pretty early but that may have been because it was still in Early Access.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Count Uvula posted:

I like that you didn't mention the weird violently horny game over screens at all. It's a pretty good game if you can get past it but lmao imagine if in Dark Souls every time you died instead of the big "YOU DIED" text you just got a big drawing of your dead character with most of their clothes torn off and also you can, strangely, only play as young women.

Bizarre that this exists but extremely interesting, anybody here played this yet?

I thought it was weak. Only did one mountain, completed it on the my first playthrough, and even then the majority events where repeats. Its more of a puzzle game than anything. Difficulty ramps up because you move on to the next mountain with the same character and you can rack up some penalties from the previous mountain.

Reknowned Explorers captures the feeling of exploration way better. On the moutain climing side of it, it makes a deal about like, chosing your paths and what not and risk/reward but it still didn't feel very moutain climby to me.

Overall the game felt very impersonal to me

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 5, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My recommendation for if you want a Sunless-like is A House With Many Doors. It's a little buggy and janky, being designed, written, and coded by one guy (Harry Tuffs, who's actually worked with Failbetter in the past), but it's still got excellent writing that will feel very familiar tonally, and there's also more game there. The combat in particular is significantly more involved, and kind of feels like FTL, which helps a lot with keeping tedium at bay.

Also

Steam Page posted:

Please be aware that this game contains the following romance options:
- Men.
- Women.
- Goatman.
- Ten million crows.
- An oil rig.

Edit: Also it's $11.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 5, 2021

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Soulash at last going the KS route with modest aims to bolster already significant accomplishments:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asmiarowski/soulash-classic-fantasy-roguelike

Graphical demo upon itch, wind seems in their sails in general leading up to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Soulash at last going the KS route with modest aims to bolster already significant accomplishments:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asmiarowski/soulash-classic-fantasy-roguelike

Graphical demo upon itch, wind seems in their sails in general leading up to this.

Thanks!