Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just a piece of rubber, add the Porsche tax that will be $1298.87 please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I wish it was easy to embed a FlexSeal gif.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sigh. It is more the pain in the rear end and delay. New one is a "reasonable" ~$80 (after which I have to sort through various revisions to see which one I want) but it's going to be later this week (if I am lucky) and a royal PITA to get at. I *think* I can get at it if I remove the alternator. At least I hope so, but i remember when I replaced a battery cable which entailed the alternator then and it was not exactly fun.

Oh well, maybe it'll be easier the second time around.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I seem to recall discussion about 955/957 Cayennes somewhere but cant find it now. They seem to be mostly reliable with a few known common problems. There are a few owners on here right? Besides bore scoring, are there any major deal breakers? Id like to find one with rear locker but they seem impossible to locate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kastivich posted:

I seem to recall discussion about 955/957 Cayennes somewhere but cant find it now. They seem to be mostly reliable with a few known common problems. There are a few owners on here right? Besides bore scoring, are there any major deal breakers? Id like to find one with rear locker but they seem impossible to locate.

Yeah, there's a few of us.

Good luck on the rear locker. You're unlikely to find it and most dealerships (and even owners) have no idea. Top trim levels are common in the turbo models and even they didn't routinely get a rear locker.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Porsches paint survey results are in.

https://insider.hagerty.com/trends/spoiled-for-choice/

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tag yourself as an unrepresented colour.

I’m “chalk”

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m “chalk”

Brewster Green for me.

Luckily Rubystone made the list, else that would have been my choice.

Edit: Actually, Amethyst Metallic for me.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 9, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

No Peru Red??

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m “chalk”

Coworker of mine ordered a maccan last year in chalk. Its grown on me,

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m “chalk”

Mode Grau here, which is afaict a darker, warmer gray. Would drat near sell my soul for the one Carrera GT made in the color

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I was initially puzzled by Guards Red winning over Mexico Blue, but then they showed that it's just a Boomer thing

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

got off on a technicality posted:

Mode Grau here, which is afaict a darker, warmer gray. Would drat near sell my soul for the one Carrera GT made in the color

Hmm, I wonder how much it would cost to get a taycan in that....

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Miami blue us my favorite car color of all time.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Miami blue us my favorite car color of all time.

Not empty quoting

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m “chalk”

My 944 is Garnet Red Metallic

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Pazifikblaumetallic :'(

Honestly I wonder how many cars were made in pacific blue over hannibal grey interior. If you google image search "hannibal grey porsche" there are two cars that come up. One of them is mine. More pacific blues out there though.

I found another but the guy replaced all the seats with black leather. Bastard.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 9, 2021

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Notice how little resale gray is on those charts compared to how much one sees on the road.

I live near the bougies. I can't go anywhere without seeing a gray Cayenne.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m “chalk”

I'm yachting blue. If I ever win the lottery and I buy a Porsche it will be done paint to sample to that color no matter what.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I went to Cars and Coffee today outside Carlsbad, saw some nice rides but this one was incredible, 1959 and looked immaculate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I got the joyeauto crammed in a few weeks ago and kinda hated it. The volume was too low and all the response was out of whack. Turns out there's a little headphone jack dummy plug thing that goes in the factory aux port and all is right and proper now.

Another thing is it's not strictly compatible with the satellite radio receiver, but I just left the jack for it dangling out the back to give me a hole for new wiring and removed some excess plastic and rerouted the antenna wire and it all managed to pack in there.

I have my old phone (with data-only SIM) running Android Auto via USB so there's no delay besides hitting the button. The really cool part is my main phone still connects to the stock BT and uses the instrument screen to show incoming calls and can take over audio and mic on demand, so I just toss it in the wireless charge bin and do everything on the PCM. Alternatively the Wireless AA is supposed to work but Android 10 broke a ton of poo poo and I'm not sure how quickly it would come up each time compared to just having a dedicated device plugged in all the time.

I also bought a cheap tiny Jelly Pro phone as a likely more efficient and faster replacement for my now venerable Nexus 6, but the aspect ratio was wrong. This was supposed to be fixed or configurable in some recent update too.

Resistive touchscreens suck, but Android Auto seems to know this and there aren't many swiping gestures.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 12, 2021

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Anyone ever seen Albert Blue in person? My friend with the GT4 is possibly buying a GT3 Touring that was paint-to-sample in that, sight unseen, it certainly looks good in pictures.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Update: He bought the car, because why wouldn't you buy 3 cars so far this year?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ether Frenzy posted:

Update: He bought the car, because why wouldn't you buy 3 cars so far this year?

Pics please, have never seen Albert Blue before

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

got off on a technicality posted:

Pics please, have never seen Albert Blue before

I googled this and we really need a lot more pics. That interior is loving siiiiiiick.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
There is something very therapeutic and satisfying about replacing old poo poo on my 993. This past weekend, I replaced 24 year old speakers. My 80s/90s rock and Blink-182 has never sounded better.

Is this what being a dad is going to be like.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

There is something very therapeutic and satisfying about replacing old poo poo on my 993. This past weekend, I replaced 24 year old speakers. My 80s/90s rock and Blink-182 has never sounded better.

Is this what being a dad is going to be like.
I guess this is growing up

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I guess this is growing up

Nobody likes you when you're twenty-three

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I finally got my oil fill tube in for the 996 (interestingly, superseded with a 997 part). Took 2 weeks from a supplier who had them "in stock" in Vancouver.

Now to do that and re-attach my coolant hoses.

I guess it might be therapeutic afterwards, but reefing on 22 year old rubber hoses adhered to whatever nipple/pipe it's attached to is more infuriating during the moment :lol:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

So Porsche shopping has started since I have arrived at the new place. I think I have settled on a 987 S with higher miles as my expectation is to use the car as my “daily driver” since I work from home and can drive it all year here. My question is what is high miles on a Boxster? I don’t expect to be doing a ton of miles but don’t want to suffer from “their is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche” syndrome so looking at 90 to 120k miles.

For example there is this one in TX https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WP0CB29876U730887/ which is $10k less than a same year, same colour car in LA but has 60k more miles.

Probably going to have to buy sight unseen and have it delivered as picking as slim in Phoenix. Since I just bought a house sight unseen and it ended up ok what could go wrong? :v:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

So Porsche shopping has started since I have arrived at the new place. I think I have settled on a 987 S with higher miles as my expectation is to use the car as my “daily driver” since I work from home and can drive it all year here. My question is what is high miles on a Boxster? I don’t expect to be doing a ton of miles but don’t want to suffer from “their is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche” syndrome so looking at 90 to 120k miles.

For example there is this one in TX https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WP0CB29876U730887/ which is $10k less than a same year, same colour car in LA but has 60k more miles.

Probably going to have to buy sight unseen and have it delivered as picking as slim in Phoenix. Since I just bought a house sight unseen and it ended up ok what could go wrong? :v:

IMO it's deferred maintenance and/or an owner that refuses to rev it past 3,500 rpm that will get you. As long as the car's been driven like a Porsche should be (regular trips to redline when warm!) and well maintained at a dealer or reputable indy, I wouldn't be too afraid. Pay particular attention to the water pump - mine went twice in 60,000 miles worth of ownership - and see if the IMS bearing has been replaced. Not the end of the world if it hasn't - mine was never done and I tracked it regularly - especially if it's an earlier model with a single row. All that said your budget needs to be able to accommodate an unexpected $2-3K repair at any time; if not, high mileage Porsche ownership is probably not for you

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Have been meaning to post for a while but I'm also shopping for 987 S but the cayman variant for a DD that sees 2-4 track days a year. 987.2 is ideal but they're a bit harder to find and at the upper range of my budget so I'm trying to figure out what upgrades people would consider required to track a 987.1 on R-comps. Seems like added cooling, deep sump pan, IMS fix and maybe a swirl pot are the key things people are doing.

Still need to do some test drives because I'm also considering a 996, 997 or even an older 911.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

... to track a 987.1 on R-comps. Seems like added cooling, deep sump pan, IMS fix and maybe a swirl pot are the key things people are doing.

Don't forget GT3 brake ducts and power steering cooler but yeah that's a good list

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Found a 987 S close by with one owner and full Porsche dealer service history. Let’s see it dripping from the rear main seal or something when I get there.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

Found a 987 S close by with one owner and full Porsche dealer service history. Let’s see it dripping from the rear main seal or something when I get there.

Check the 3 -> 2 downshift, and also 2nd gear pop out (hard acceleration in 2nd then let off); if the gearbox has been abused it'll show

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It already has the seal leak and a new flywheel, clutch etc... in 2010. New oil separator in 2012. Looks like he had the convertible top mechanism replaced twice under warranty then once more June last year. Had everything serviced and fixed by the dealer including tires.

But yeah PO took had 2nd popping out back in 2016 and 2017. Made the dealer change the engine mounts which the notes say was pointless as the old ones were still in spec. No more comments about the transmission after 2017 so either he took it somewhere else because the dealer was giving him the run around or it is still popping in 2nd. There is nothing reported in the car fax about anyone else working on it. Need to give it a good test drive and see if I can make it happen.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Residency Evil posted:

Nobody likes you when you're twenty-three

For clarity: Only if you still act like you're in freshman year. However, It's definitely 23-year-olds that will ignore the next line to externalize their issues. I was one of them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

So I bought the 987 Boxster S after arguing off some money due to the gearbox issues in the service history but not being able to make it pop during a test drive. I guess the engine mounts helped?

Back to colour chat it is resell grey but how much of a faux pas is it to have the red GT3 flag graphics put down the doors and have the wheels refinished in red? :rice:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BigPaddy posted:

So I bought the 987 Boxster S after arguing off some money due to the gearbox issues in the service history but not being able to make it pop during a test drive. I guess the engine mounts helped?

Let's see some pics!

quote:

Back to colour chat it is resell grey but how much of a faux pas is it to have the red GT3 flag graphics put down the doors and have the wheels refinished in red? :rice:

But not with that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Congratulations!

Doooooooo it! Bright accent colour graphics on muted base colours look awesome. Plus, it's the GT3 RS formula which always works.