Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dabir posted:

You know what cartoon I never see anyone mention? The Cramp Twins. If I didn't have such vivid memories of watching it as a kid I'd almost think I made it up somehow. I didn't like it at the time, but I watched it anyway. Kids are idiots.

There were a few that I watched because it was on and I was too lazy and/or tired to turn it off. That wasn't one, but I remember it existing too. Usually it ended up being poo poo that ran late at night (and not because it had to, either) like Ned's Newt or Fat Dog Mendoza. Stuff that I remember and literally no one else I've ever spoken to does.

Probably for the best too, because they were usually really bad. I didn't even like them at the time either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, I was nodding along to Super Eyepatch Wolf's Space Jam Genocide Route video, feeling entertained but not really laughing at stuff until he hit me with Goku. Goku murdered me.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Benne posted:

I know I'm several pages late on the Elfen Lied discourse, but I just wanted to say that Hazel did an incredible job contextualizing the era in which it came out, and just how a show that today is seen as embarrassing and dated somehow managed to connect with people at the time.

It's the type of show that could have only been popular in that very specific period of the early-mid 2000s, where anime, goth/emo, and online forums morphed into this weird Voltron of counterculture that I don't think has been replicated since then. Or maybe it has and that's my nostalgia talking :v: Either way, if you can carve out 2 hours the video is well worth watching, especially if you're of a certain age and remember what a thing that show used to be, even if we all agree it sucks now.

Yeah at the time I was put off by EL quite strongly but seemed to be the exception, at the time and maybe a year after it had this hard dividing line, if you were into anime you seemed to not mind it, and the people who disliked or were repulsed by it generally didn't like anime at all or though EL was just what anime was. I was in the minority that liked some anime and the pop culture around it, but bounced off of EL pretty hard. I remember first seeing it on a programming block of anime that had two presenters and they were gushing about it. I know its the job of the presenters to push the shows on their network, but I've seen many presenters be baffled or obviously faking their hype and praise before, those two seemed really into it.

I watched the series two years ago on netflix out of curiosity, didn't have as strong a reaction to it as I did in my teens but still hadn't warmed to it much.

I think its up there with Natural Born Killers, in that it could only have been a big hit releasing when it did, the late 90s were the peak of that strange fascination many people had with spree killers that the film taps into. I don't imagine it does as well with audiences who missed that phenomenon.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The EL discussion brings to mind something that Dan Olson said in one of his Fifty Shades videos, namely that part of the reason fiction exists is to let us explore ideas that would be taboo, dangerous or both if they happened in real life. Being in the middle of a gunfight for example is not in any way cool or fun but when you’re watching it from the safety of your couch and you know nobody’s actually dying it can be both those things.

Not that that absolves a story of criticism, of course. It’s just worth bearing in mind that all art is going to mean different things to different people, and sometimes that means something you despise or are disgusted by is going to be enjoyed by someone else (or vice versa) so you have to at least recognize that other person’s feelings are valid.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Day9 talks about what to do when facing an opponent in a game that is trying to do something out of the ordinary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPL3zMPVklY&hd=1

and a video where he plays a deck in Historic MTG Arena(the "everything that's ever been released" mode, leads to some real stupid decks) that on turn 4 basically gives your opponent the option to counter a spell or they no longer get to play the game since you basically take infinite turns after that. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3HWlVEs6IU&hd=1

Historic MTG is some tomfoolery alright.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

To be fair Natural Born Killers has Woody Harrelson playing up a great serial killer, it's pretty neat even if you weren't around for it at the start.

Plus it has YOU MADE MYYYYY, poo poo LIIIIIIST~

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

Day9 talks about what to do when facing an opponent in a game that is trying to do something out of the ordinary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPL3zMPVklY&hd=1

I feel like that's a pretty important lesson to learn and why understanding fundamentals is so important: if you know what you should do to win and someone does weird stuff, just do what you need to do to win.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Day[9] has long been a proponent of the Tao of Just Go loving Kill'um

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bBToBP-68s

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 4, 2021

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dabir posted:

You know what cartoon I never see anyone mention? The Cramp Twins. If I didn't have such vivid memories of watching it as a kid I'd almost think I made it up somehow. I didn't like it at the time, but I watched it anyway. Kids are idiots.
Same. I remember it being incredibly uninteresting and visually off putting. I've never seen a show with that many colors look so drab.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I remember the cramp twins existing and not liking it but I had to google to remember what the show looked like.

Ah the amazingly appealing art style of no noses and floating outlines. I think they're meant to give a sketchy look but its so clean it just looks bizzare. I disliked the wobbly lineart style in Ed Edd and eddie but at least that was coherent.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mr Phillby posted:

I remember the cramp twins existing and not liking it but I had to google to remember what the show looked like.

Ah the amazingly appealing art style of no noses and floating outlines. I think they're meant to give a sketchy look but its so clean it just looks bizzare. I disliked the wobbly lineart style in Ed Edd and eddie but at least that was coherent.
I always thought that it was a cheap way to imitate the dynamic movement of the squiggly EE&E lines to not make it look so flat. But apparently it's based on the creator's own book from the 90s that had the same awful art style.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
well, I think the best cartoon from when I was growing up is Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend,

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

For some reason I rented it from the video store multiple times as a kid.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone donated a bunch of vhs tapes to my old school's annual rummage sale and among the toy stories and Berenstain Bears was a legend of the overfiend vhs tape, they knew exactly what they were doing

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

One of my crank theories is that there was a certain genre of cartoons made by people who looked at the internet around then and went "No, the shows these dorks like are bad, I must make a cartoon for my weird, weird idea of what a normal child could be" and I put Crank Twins, Mike Lou and Ogg and Angela Anaconda on that list.

And I kinda wish I had kept the link for an interview snippet with the creator of Avatar on how yes, this idea was thought in animation school at the time and he was incentivized by lecturers to do a "more relatable" cartoon about a kid who wants to buy a bicycle instead.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

well, I think the best cartoon from when I was growing up is Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend,

Ah, the classic of the genre.

I remember getting Ninja Scroll from blockbuster when young and just being blown away that this was animated lol

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bonaventure posted:

Ah I see you're a man of culture as well

Kunster posted:

One of my crank theories is that there was a certain genre of cartoons made by people who looked at the internet around then and went "No, the shows these dorks like are bad, I must make a cartoon for my weird, weird idea of what a normal child could be" and I put Crank Twins, Mike Lou and Ogg and Angela Anaconda on that list.

The only Billiam review that I really disagreed with was his Angela Anaconda one. I'd chuck on ABC (the Australian one) when I got home after school as it had shows for kids and teenagers until 6pm. Angela Anaconda was on fairly often and I don't know what Billiam was smoking when he said that it was an imaginative show that wasn't that bad because I loving hated it so much even when I was still an easily amused kid.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Testekill posted:

Ah I see you're a man of culture as well

The only Billiam review that I really disagreed with was his Angela Anaconda one. I'd chuck on ABC (the Australian one) when I got home after school as it had shows for kids and teenagers until 6pm. Angela Anaconda was on fairly often and I don't know what Billiam was smoking when he said that it was an imaginative show that wasn't that bad because I loving hated it so much even when I was still an easily amused kid.

I enjoyed Angela Anaconda as a kid. Considering my taste in weird art these days, it probably did something to my brain.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

I've been meaning to ask why you keep posting these hours long videos of some dough face streamer playing some nerd rear end card game, which seemingly no one in here cares about. However, I watched a video and now I play Magic. So thanks I guess?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Day9 has been a gaming personality since before that was really a thing and is a cool and funny guy I think that's why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JnoIn8giWk

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
northernlion already had strong dad energy and now that he is an actual father his dad energy is incalculable

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wooper posted:

I've been meaning to ask why you keep posting these hours long videos of some dough face streamer playing some nerd rear end card game, which seemingly no one in here cares about. However, I watched a video and now I play Magic. So thanks I guess?
he wasn't nearly as dough-faced before the lockdowns :v:

none of us were :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also yeah he's been streaming for longer than almost anyone, iirc he has the first twitch account ever made(besides the twitch company account). plus he's just a really upbeat and smart fella who has been a real fuckin' boon for me during the pandemic and I've been binging his MTG stuff a lot lately. I used to just catch some of the recent uploads but now I'm going back through the back catalog and it's fascinating. As someone who got into playing MTG again around zendikar rising, seeing the absolutely broken-rear end poo poo that plagued the game when throne of eldraine came out and got banned before I started is interesting.

plus it's fun to see his cats mess with him on camera, despy just casually strutting and sitting down to block the camera and throwing a literal hissy fit when he objects, sheriff snuggling onto his shoulder like a little baby.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I unironically love when Day9 becomes the character in the gladiator scene just shouting 'FINISH HIM!!!!!' from the audience.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Day[9] started streaming on fuckin' Justin.tv. That's how long he's been around. He never got huge, but he's persistent and has a great attitude.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I think the one person I've kept up with from jtv days is the newLegacy boys, the best wrestling channel.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

I think the one person I've kept up with from jtv days is the newLegacy boys, the best wrestling channel.

oh man I haven't watched NL in ages, they're still kicking?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

oh man I haven't watched NL in ages, they're still kicking?

They absolutely are and have hit some good growth milestones in the meantime.

As you can imagine, stuff like 2K20 being such massive wrecks have been of great help to them lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

They absolutely are and have hit some good growth milestones in the meantime.

hell yea I know what rabbit hole I'm goin down today. Any especially good things of theirs to watch? I haven't watched in like, a good few years.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

hell yea I know what rabbit hole I'm goin down today. Any especially good things of theirs to watch? I haven't watched in like, a good few years.

Their playthrough of the 2K19 career mode is pretty fantastic, featuring the up and coming wrestler, Al Ian, from Earth.

Their playthrough of the Fire Pro Promoter game also had some really good bits.

And then there's the Kingiest of the Ringiest events they've done, which is playing through a ton of wrestling games in King of the Ring mode, noting down all the winners, then running them through circuits against each other to determine, The Kingiest Of The Ringiest.

OH MAN I ALMOST FORGOT, there was also a career they did in WWF No Mercy, which was Jim Ross, HARDCORE CHAMPION, BOOM BOOM.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 4, 2021

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Archer666 posted:

I enjoyed Angela Anaconda as a kid. Considering my taste in weird art these days, it probably did something to my brain.

Years after it ran, I can see its appeal, but during its run it suffered somewhat from people selling it as "oh, you don't want your kid watching those japanese cartoons, do ya. Here's something you can show them if you want a regular kid" vibes.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Kunster posted:

Years after it ran, I can see its appeal, but during its run it suffered somewhat from people selling it as "oh, you don't want your kid watching those japanese cartoons, do ya. Here's something you can show them if you want a regular kid" vibes.

Now it's only mentioned in context of the Digimon movie lol

Edit: I think even then Angela Anaconda was only ever talked about in the context of that movie, too

Solar Tornado fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 4, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Oh and lol if you just wanna see someone suffer, Johnny playing the AJ Styles Million Dollar Tower, which is a marathon of ball busting matches, with stamina that carries over between all of them, as AJ Styles - who notably only has like one submission in this mode and it's bad. Some of the matches are tap out only.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 4, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I wound up just clicking the first WWE vid that came up when I searched them and boy are they still great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqk7kZZhv04

glad to see them with so many views/subs these days!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Berenstain Bears

Okay buddy; you've taken a 90 degree angular turn into the dimension on your widdershins axis, we're gonna need you to return your correct dimensional tangent via whatever anomaly, vehicle, device, or combination thereof that may have brought you here.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone donated a bunch of vhs tapes to my old school's annual rummage sale and among the toy stories and Berenstain Bears was a legend of the overfiend vhs tape, they knew exactly what they were doing

That's the most evil thing I've ever heard.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I wound up just clicking the first WWE vid that came up when I searched them and boy are they still great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqk7kZZhv04

glad to see them with so many views/subs these days!

"I will simply not sell" to like every single dive out of the ring they tried lol

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The cartoons that came out when I was 11 were awesome and I loved them and they are objectively good.

The current cartoons that are aimed at 11-year-olds are bad and I do not like them.

This has nothing to do at all with me being 33.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

80s cartoons were terrible, 90s cartoons were great, 00s cartoons were hit or miss, 10s cartoons were great, 20s no comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sankara posted:

80s cartoons were terrible, 90s cartoons were great, 00s cartoons were hit or miss, 10s cartoons were great, 20s no comment

DuckTales and He Man are good though.