Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Sedisp posted:

So it's definitely not racist to state that someone who is part of an outgroup will try harder to fit in with the in group. Any poc who's lived in white neighborhoods growing up can attest to this.

While shrecknets conclusion isn't nessacarily correct the assertion that more diversity will fix the police is false and the idea that the reason why the police shoot so many black people is because of racist white cops is incorrect. The article states as much as well.

Saying that an entire racial group [of a certain profession] exhibits extreme violence so they can "fit in" is not racist? Especially when talking about a race who is already seen as more violent than other races in our society because of racism? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sarcastr0 posted:

You think liberals all love the ACA? I hate to break it to you, no one loves the ACA.

We all want single payer. But 'single payer NOW or else you're a racist' is assuming some motives I don't think you can assume, as well as ignoring the current state of affairs for Dems in Congress.

Plus it's combative and counterproductive.

It's nice that you personally want single payer but the Democratic Party will never let it happen even if you get 65 seats in the Senate because they have accepted that the cost of doing business is the death of tens of thousands annually, disproportionately of poc. That's the logic they've accepted. If you're going to pull the Sober Realist act you should not enter your personal preferences as a voter into evidence since they are meaningless and we've just seen that a even a mass death event and the upcoming deaths of millions from pharma rentseeking has not budged the Dems on this. So probably they also have no hatred for Africans or Indians in their hearts, but nonetheless are going to kill them en masse for money

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kalit posted:

Saying that an entire racial group [of a certain profession] exhibits extreme violence so they can "fit in" is not racist? Especially when talking about a race who is already seen as more violent than other races in our society because of racism? :rolleyes:

Police are not casually comparable to busboys, retail workers or longshoremen, and you should know this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kalit posted:

I think there's a difference between claiming that people of a certain race are inherently more violent simply because of their genetics and claiming that people of a certain race feel pressured to be more violent in order to fit in/mitigate the possibility of being the victim of racism themselves when part of an inherently racist occupation such as being a cop.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

the_steve posted:

I think there's a difference between claiming that people of a certain race are inherently more violent simply because of their genetics and claiming that people of a certain race feel pressured to be more violent in order to fit in/mitigate the possibility of being the victim of racism themselves when part of an inherently racist occupation such as being a cop.

IMO, this is the key word. Feeling pressured vs saying they are more violent because they want to fit in. Which also implies an entire race has no will.

Granted, for this last point, you could claim all cops have no will, which is fair. But this still doesn't make sense in the context of Shrecknet's post. If that was the case, all cops would end up at equilibrium for being the most violent. The reason being all white and Black cops would continually feel pressure to become more violent because of the other race. Please note, I'm simplifying to two races because of the context of Shrecknet's post.

So this is why I called Shrecknet racist with that post.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 4, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Kalit posted:

Saying that an entire racial group [of a certain profession] exhibits extreme violence so they can "fit in" is not racist? Especially when talking about a race who is already seen as more violent than other races in our society because of racism?

Correct saying that minorities that join a racist institution can be more willing to engage in rituals or violence to prove they fit in with the majority white membership is not racist.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 4, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

are you implying that black people who join up with the violent white supremacists might be prone to violence themselves? sounds pretty racist

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sedisp posted:

Correct saying that minorities that join a racist institution are more willing to engage in rituals or violence to prove they fit in with the majority white membership is not racist.

But, the actual study doesn't say that minority police are more likely to kill other minorities.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Why with a pillar of salt? The NYT article says that this is clearing the first major hurdle and that if it clears another round of phase three testing that the FDA will usually approve.

They also quote major researchers who weren't part of the study:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1389349066698543111

I was trying to be polite. The article literally doesn’t say the FDA commissioner statement you made up. It’s mostly reporting promotional material from the people behind the study. The only non-study researchers quoted are talking about how the research is being inappropriately hyped.

Edit: the hill article is literally just reporting on the nyt article, which is even in the headline if you click through. You’re killing me here.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 4, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

But, the actual study doesn't say that minority police are actually more likely to kill other minorities.

In my intial response to Kalit I said shrecknets point isn't nessacarily correct.

Being possibly wrong doesn't make your point racist.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

I was trying to be polite. The article literally doesn’t say the FDA commissioner statement you made up. It’s mostly reporting promotional material from the people behind the study. The only non-study researchers quoted are talking about how the research is being inappropriately hyped.

Edit: the hill article is literally just reporting on the nyt article, which is even in the headline if you click through. You’re killing me here.

There is a quote from a non-study scientist right in the post you quoted, though.

quote:

“This is about as excited as I can get about a clinical trial,” Gul Dolen, a neuroscientist at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, who was not involved in the study, told the Times. “There is nothing like this in clinical trial results for a neuropsychiatric disease.”

They also say that drugs that manage to pass another phase 3 trial like this are usually approved. It doesn't seem like the NYT and several neuroscientists not involved with the study are writing a press release for a VC company.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 4, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Sedisp posted:

Correct saying that minorities that join a racist institution can be more willing to engage in rituals or violence to prove they fit in with the majority white membership is not racist.

Kalit posted:

Saying that an entire minority racial group [of a certain profession] exhibits more extreme violence than white people so they can "fit in" is not racist? Especially when talking about a race who is already seen as more violent than other races in our society because of racism? :rolleyes:

Is that better? Sorry I wasn't 100% precise when you already knew what I meant :rolleyes:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Kalit posted:

Is that better? Sorry I wasn't 100% precise when you already know what I meant :rolleyes:

That is also not racist. If you're going to accuse a poster of being a racist you should probably be precise

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 4, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

There is a quote from a non-study scientist right in the post you quoted, though.

https://hopkinspsychedelic.org/dolen

Please apply even the smallest amount of critical scrutiny before making up claims by the commissioner of the FDA to promote promotional articles.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

https://hopkinspsychedelic.org/dolen

Please apply even the smallest amount of critical scrutiny before making up claims by the commissioner of the FDA to promote promotional articles.

That doesn't say she was involved in the study. Is the NYT incorrectly printing that she was involved in this study?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1389561384548057092

But what could be worse than the encroaching foreign menace?

Ah

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 4, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Leon, you led your introduction of the article by fabricating an endorsement by the commissioner of the FDA. The article is transparently promotional and the one non-study scientist you've identified as quoted positive about the study is also directing a drug dev lab on the same substance, a fact the article doesn't report (hint the folks running the study will have sent the author to her for a reax quote) and you've followed by pretending a hill article reprinting the same article is new coverage. I don't know why it's so important to you that we pretend this article should be taken at face value, but it's not going to happen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm pretty surprised that fox couldn't make that one stick. They really are in trouble with trying to find a narrative that will stick. They used to be so good at it--brown mustard on a hamburger, a tan suit after labor day--what has happened to fox news?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I'm pretty surprised that fox couldn't make that one stick. They really are in trouble with trying to find a narrative that will stick. They used to be so good at it--brown mustard on a hamburger, a tan suit after labor day--what has happened to fox news?

Well one problem is that the "border crisis" is largely fixed.

For your pleasure, a thread of teenagers owning COVID nuts
https://twitter.com/SamBraslow/status/1389328059577212928

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The current president is Not Black, and Trump ran the gamut on horrendous behaviour so the reset of faux-outrage is taking a lil longer

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Covid was unkind to True Believers and its really hard to convince everyone that Joe Biden is Joe Stalin

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

That doesn't say she was involved in the study. Is the NYT incorrectly printing that she was involved in this study?

Dolen is a researcher in neuroscience of psychedelics including their potential for "healing" and MDMA specifically. This was not mentioned in the article.

That doesn't invalidate her professional/academic opinion, certainly, but she has a significant interest and bias in the MDMA research getting a positive spin in media and eventually getting approved.

She's outside the specific study, but quite a biased source.

e;fb kinda

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

Leon, you led your introduction of the article by fabricating an endorsement by the commissioner of the FDA. The article is transparently promotional and the one non-study scientist you've identified as quoted positive about the study is also directing a drug dev lab on the same substance, a fact the article doesn't report (hint the folks running the study will have sent the author to her for a reax quote) and you've followed by pretending a hill article reprinting the same article is new coverage. I don't know why it's so important to you that we pretend this article should be taken at face value, but it's not going to happen.

That's fine. But, I was asking if the NYT was incorrectly saying that she had been a part of the study. She was not. I was trying to figure out if you were saying the NYT was wrong or not.

Getting a reaction from someone who is studying the subject matter is the same practice they would do for any scientific article. I don't see why the NYT and neuroscientists would conspire to release a promotional article to enrich the VC industry because "there's a lot of VC researching it."

The study is a qualifying phase 3 trial and being published. Is there something wrong with the methodology that the NYT, neuroscientists, FDA, and other reviewers didn't pick up? I'm just wondering why you're having the reaction to it.

"There is a lot of VC money in this arena" and "the study authors probably sent the NYT to unrelated neuroscientists who would promote them" are speculation and not something that disproves the study.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 4, 2021

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Sedisp posted:

Being possibly wrong doesn't make your point racist.
No, but omitting the following sentence because it contradicts the racist rear end point you were trying to cite it to prove sure does!

In other news about racist pieces of poo poo, looks like they're ramping up to give Liz the boot.
https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1389568635031724038

They'll paper over this split just fine though, I'm sure. Parties are notoriously easy to reconcile midpurge.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

No, but omitting the following sentence because it contradicts the racist rear end point you were trying to cite it to prove sure does!

In other news about racist pieces of poo poo, looks like they're ramping up to give Liz the boot.
https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1389568635031724038

They'll paper over this split just fine though, I'm sure. Parties are notoriously easy to reconcile midpurge.

This might be a problem for the GOP if there was actually a constituency behind Liz Cheney, but she represents how much of her caucus? Maybe a quarter?

Another issue Fox might be having with finding a good angle on Biden is that they are terrified of our colossal President and First Lady
https://twitter.com/CarterCenter/status/1389400596004970501

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sedisp posted:

Covid was unkind to True Believers and its really hard to convince everyone that Joe Biden is Joe Stalin

I must admit to being pretty surprised by this too — aren't most of their viewers pretty well prepped and primed to believe the worst about him anyway? It should be the biggest slam dunk in the world, if Fox is their only news source aside from all the Q ones where he's a lizard alien or whatever. When did Fox viewers start needing proof of anything to confirm what they want to believe?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

This might be a problem for the GOP if there was actually a constituency behind Liz Cheney, but she represents how much of her caucus? Maybe a quarter?

Another issue Fox might be having with finding a good angle on Biden is that they are terrified of our colossal President and First Lady

that living room is straight out of 1957. i can smell it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That's fine. But, I was asking if the NYT was incorrectly saying that she had been a part of the study. She was not. I was trying to figure out if you were saying the NYT was wrong or not.

Getting a reaction from someone who is studying the subject matter is the same practice they would do for any scientific article. I don't see why the NYT and neuroscientists would conspire to release a promotional article to enrich the VC industry because "there's a lot of VC researching it."

The study is a qualifying phase 3 trial and being published. Is there something wrong the methodology that the NYT, neuroscientists, FDA, and other peer reviewers didn't pick up? I'm just wondering why you're having the reaction to it.

"There is a lot of VC money in this arena" and "the study authors probably sent the NYT to unrelated neuroscientists who would promote them" are speculation and not something that disproves the study.

They should have disclosed Deolen's affiliation. This doesn't require a conspiracy, it's straight up how stories are packaged and promoted to the press. The neuroscientists receive their funding from, and have the same interest in, the success of the product. This really isn't complicated, yo, and you're still setting aside the fake FDA commissioner claim that, you know, you made.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Guess who's back, back again. Racists back. Tell a friend

https://twitter.com/crooksandliars/status/1388932447035748352?s=20

He's suing to "prevent black Americans from having unfair advantages".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jimmy Carter was only 2 inches shorter than Biden when he was President. Old people shrinkage and possibly camera angles are rough.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

zoux posted:

You missed the best part.
https://twitter.com/DeonardoLeVinci/status/1389428550361657344?s=20

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I'm wondering if there might also be some form of the Boy Who Cried Wolf effect, not in the sense that Fox viewers don't believe there's a wolf anymore, but more in the sense that everything is a wolf now, so it's hard to remember exactly what they're supposed to do about it

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Paracaidas posted:

Love to watch a dude kramer into a discussion and not even be able to figure out who said what.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

Is he wearing lipstick there? Obviously he's free to be his most beautiful self but seems at odds with his belief system

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I must admit to being pretty surprised by this too — aren't most of their viewers pretty well prepped and primed to believe the worst about him anyway? It should be the biggest slam dunk in the world, if Fox is their only news source aside from all the Q ones where he's a lizard alien or whatever. When did Fox viewers start needing proof of anything to confirm what they want to believe?

The thing about racial animus is that it's not a decision people make. They can't get mad at Biden as much because he's white. He just doesn't inspire that visceral, emotional reaction that Obama did..

Jimmy Carter was only 2 inches shorter than Biden when he was President. Old people shrinkage and possibly camera angles are rough.

Yeah photogs on the TL say it's a wide angle lens that's doing it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

They should have disclosed Deolen's affiliation. This doesn't require a conspiracy, it's straight up how stories are packaged and promoted to the press. The neuroscientists receive their funding from, and have the same interest in, the success of the product. This really isn't complicated, yo, and you're still setting aside the fake FDA commissioner claim that, you know, you made.

That's all I wanted to know. You were implying that the methodology and results of the study themselves were suspect. The article says that treatments that pass another phase 3 study like this are likely to be approved. I should have said "The NYT says that the FDA will likely approve based on the rules for the approval process" rather than "The FDA will likely approve."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You should not have made up that the commissioner of the FDA said anything. You should not have linked another article that was just re-reporting the first one. You should not have tripled down on these when challenged.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1389561384548057092

But what could be worse than the encroaching foreign menace?

Ah

I really think this is a massive losing issue for them based on polling, but hey if it gets the chuds riled up to be their bigoted selves :shrug:

:lol:

Middle schoolers are brutal: wierd conspiracy nuts getting owned by them does not surprise me in the least

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FWIW MDMA in psychotherapy wasn't uncommon in the 70s and 80s and it wasn't until the drug war years that people decided it plugged holes in the brain (it doesn't)

quote:

3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), also known as ecstasy, was first synthesized in 1912 but first reached widespread popularity as a legal alternative after the much sought-after recreational drug 3,4-methylenedioxy-amphetamine (MDA) was made illegal in 1970. Because of its benign, feeling-enhancing, and nonhallucinatory properties, MDMA was used by a few dozen psychotherapists in the United States between 1977 and 1985, when it was still legal. This article looks into the contexts and practices of its psychotherapeutic use during these years. Some of the guidelines, recommendations, and precautions developed then are similar to those that apply to psychedelic drugs, but others are specific for MDMA. It is evident from this review that the therapists pioneering the use of MDMA were able to develop techniques (and indications/counterindications) for individual and group therapy that laid the groundwork for the use of MDMA in later scientific studies. In retrospect, it appears that the perceived beneficial effects of MDMA supported a revival of psycholytic/psychedelic therapy on an international scale

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2050324518767442

The VA has been using it for around 5 ish years in trials with PTSD with great results, from what I understand, and there's a couple of outpatient psychiatric clinics that are allowed to do trials with it. It's heavily controlled obviously and you have to fail a LOT of other treatments before it's an option, but its kind of like the whole ketamine for depression thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

If Obama getting elected revealed the mask in the first place then Biden getting elected clearly blew it right off the GOP and it's satellite people. Just flagrantly openly racist like the old-school Dixiecrats if not even more so.