Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sedisp posted:

In my intial response to Kalit I said shrecknets point isn't nessacarily correct.

Being possibly wrong doesn't make your point racist.

No I'd say when you claim all people of a specific race, that is constantly subjected to a racist stereotype of being violent, are more violent then every other race because *reasons* that's got pretty much a laser narrow path to walk of your reasons being dead on loving correct and observable to not be racist.

When your reasons are easily disprovable and you read that proof and tried to conceal it... that's pretty loving racist. Maybe not the racial animus sort of racist, but the uncritically peddling in racial stereotypes when it's rhetorically convenient kind of racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Here's a question; when do we finally start seeing Trump paying some consequences for the sheer mountain of lawsuits filed against him?

I know the process of law likes to take its sweet time, but some of these cases have been filed years in advance, and the moment he left office at the end of January we've gotten pretty much nothing from media reporting outside of the occasional 'he's doomed now!' echo chamber we've been hearing for five years straight.

They need to step up there game and quick, gonna be mad salty if not one of these lawsuits come to fruition by 2024.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Biden bringing big GREAT GABBO energy to Mrs Carter

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Parrotine posted:

Here's a question; when do we finally start seeing Trump paying some consequences for the sheer mountain of lawsuits filed against him?

I know the process of law likes to take its sweet time, but some of these cases have been filed years in advance, and the moment he left office at the end of January we've gotten pretty much nothing from media reporting outside of the occasional 'he's doomed now!' echo chamber we've been hearing for five years straight.

They need to step up there game and quick, gonna be mad salty if not one of these lawsuits come to fruition by 2024.

Which ones? There were some defamation lawsuits filed against him that I think are now starting to move forward; there were other lawsuits to enforce subpoenas that I think have largely been resolved in favor of the government getting the docs it wanted, but now the question is if criminal charges are brought based on those documents.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

This might be a problem for the GOP if there was actually a constituency behind Liz Cheney, but she represents how much of her caucus? Maybe a quarter?

Another issue Fox might be having with finding a good angle on Biden is that they are terrified of our colossal President and First Lady
https://twitter.com/CarterCenter/status/1389400596004970501

Joe Biden is secretly nine feet tall.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You were implying that the methodology and results of the study themselves were suspect.

There have been an awful lot of these "press release" style news articles published during the pandemic (yes I know this one is not COVID related). Often the only/main sources are the researchers or corporate reps hyping new pharmaceuticals, scary new variants that might escape vaccines, etc.

It's not that the methodology and results are in question so much as the review of those data are still in progress.

When everything finishes trials and the data are made public and peer reviewed by outsiders with no financial/career interests, then we can have an objective discussion.

Right now they're just ginning up publicity. That's all. Take it with a grain of salt until we have more than press releases from the researchers conducting the studies and one outside researcher in the same field with a vested interest in the trials' success.

You could think of Dolen's comment as an opportunity for her to get some media attention for her own, related research.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

zoux posted:

This might be a problem for the GOP if there was actually a constituency behind Liz Cheney, but she represents how much of her caucus? Maybe a quarter?
I mean, one generally doesn't rise to #3 in leadership without some actual backing. For reference: Her counterpart on the Dem side is Jeffries, presumptive frontrunner to replace Pelosi (previously: Crowley and Becerra).

Mind you, even if you're right and it's "maybe a quarter of the caucus", that still represents a major split and there's no particular indication that McCarthy has enough support to lead without that 25%. I mean, or the capability to lead with it.

Sedisp posted:

Love to watch a dude kramer into a discussion and not even be able to figure out who said what.
I'm well aware that shrecknet's the one who made false claim and misrepresented his source that contradicts his dumbass point.

I'm commenting that it's weird as gently caress to give the benefit of the doubt to the poster who tried to lie to back up their racist bullshit.

Would you prefer the thread refer to such mendacity as "racially charged"?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kale posted:

If Obama getting elected revealed the mask in the first place then Biden getting elected clearly blew it right off the GOP and it's satellite people. Just flagrantly openly racist like the old-school Dixiecrats if not even more so.

Even with the Tea Party and the GOP response to Obama, the mask was still there. Trump ripped the mask off, revealing the racist skeleton under the skin. And there's no going back, the out and out racists/white supremacists are in control.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

I mean, one generally doesn't rise to #3 in leadership without some actual backing. For reference: Her counterpart on the Dem side is Jeffries, presumptive frontrunner to replace Pelosi (previously: Crowley and Becerra).

I dunno, I think at this point in the house GOP whatever cream there is is going to rise to the top. I had mentioned this the other day that there just aren't that many people in the House GOP that can like....read.

Liz is smart in a cynical, evil kind of way and obviously has family ties to some serious GOP dark donor money. Plus she'll never lose that seat and anyone stupid enough to primary her would probably end up in a ditch after shooting themselves in the back of the head multiple times.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Mind you, even if you're right and it's "maybe a quarter of the caucus", that still represents a major split and there's no particular indication that McCarthy has enough support to lead without that 25%. I mean, or the capability to lead with it.

She's been caucus chair since '19, and that quarter of the caucus that supports her (or whatever it is) is continually shrinking. She's going to be standing on her own by the end of this.

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1389405692885352448

Oh I bet we still have a few ultra clandestine death squads around Senator

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 4, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Jarmak posted:

No I'd say when you claim all people of a specific race, that is constantly subjected to a racist stereotype of being violent, are more violent then every other race because *reasons* that's got pretty much a laser narrow path to walk of your reasons being dead on loving correct and observable to not be racist.

Yes because of *reasons* like joining a violent white supremacist organization...while you're a poc.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

She's been caucus chair since '19, and that quarter of the caucus that supports her (or whatever it is) is continually shrinking. She's going to be standing on her own by the end of this.

"A Chinese Communist"

Lmao these dipshits live permanently in 1985

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

That's really his take? "Only straight white men are the brutal killers we need at the CIA to strike fear into the hearts of despots?"

Well, Ted, random normal people seem to be pretty scary to you, Trump and the other right wing zealots and you seem to want to fill that role so, maybe they are exactly what's needed?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

China purged the CIA from the country years ago they don't care, Iran is too busy with the Mossad setting up robot machine guns outside the houses of their nuclear scientists.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Bold of Cruz to recognize the superiority of the Chinese covert agencies, fuelled by national pride and soybeans

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Murgos posted:

That's really his take? "Only straight white men are the brutal killers we need at the CIA to strike fear into the hearts of despots?"

Well, Ted, random normal people seem to be pretty scary to you, Trump and the other right wing zealots and you seem to want to fill that role so, maybe they are exactly what's needed?

Nah, CIA still sucks even if Ted is mad at them. But cheer on the death squads, go wild.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Another issue Fox might be having with finding a good angle on Biden is that they are terrified of our colossal President and First Lady
https://twitter.com/CarterCenter/status/1389400596004970501

Righteous Gemstones season 2 is lookin real good

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sedisp posted:

Yes because of *reasons* like joining a violent white supremacist organization...while you're a poc.

The reason given was that they 'had something to prove' so they intentionally went out and beat more POC.

But it turned out he cut out the rest of the line in the article where it says that the reason was that they were made to police POC neighborhoods, so they had a lot more contact with other POCs than the white cops.

So the question is, why lie about it? And he was absolutely lying.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

zoux posted:

A truly reaganesque moment from the senator: not only is he confusing airport paperbacks and old movies with reality, they’re also stories where the CIA are cartoonishly evil and senators like Cruz are a bunch of unwitting chumps.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is incredible, the kids drove away the protestors with spongebob memes

https://twitter.com/sambraslow/status/1389365240140161025?s=21

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Why isn’t “The Krusty Krab is a metaphor for society” already the thread title?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The worst take on the worst thing.

Ted Cruz sucks in every situation.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FCKGW posted:

I won't lie: I kinda love the Zoomer Generation :allears:

They seem to for the most part own hard

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

FizFashizzle posted:

I dunno, I think at this point in the house GOP whatever cream there is is going to rise to the top. I had mentioned this the other day that there just aren't that many people in the House GOP that can like....read.

Liz is smart in a cynical, evil kind of way and obviously has family ties to some serious GOP dark donor money. Plus she'll never lose that seat and anyone stupid enough to primary her would probably end up in a ditch after shooting themselves in the back of the head multiple times.

In accordance with family tradition she'd shoot them in the face herself, and then they later apologize for having been shot in the face.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of how the WBC protested Comic-Con and were completely thrown for a loop when the cosplayers came out and parodied them. (mostly recall the TF2 Engineer with 'God Hates Spies', and Spy with 'God Hates Sentries')

Space Gopher posted:

A truly reaganesque moment from the senator: not only is he confusing airport paperbacks and old movies with reality, they’re also stories where the CIA are cartoonishly evil and senators like Cruz are a bunch of unwitting chumps.

Much like with the Punisher skulls, they don't care about the context, they just worship the idea of white men shooting people.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Sedisp posted:

You continuing to defend a post/poster that perpetuates the racist stereotype of Black people being more violent than white people, even within the context of a violent organization and trying to "fit in", is really loving disgusting.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 4, 2021

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Kalit and sedisp please end this argument. If you want to discuss it you can pm me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FCKGW posted:

Good on them. I like the squidward kid the best.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TulliusCicero posted:

I won't lie: I kinda love the Zoomer Generation :allears:

They seem to for the most part own hard

I know when I was that age I wouldn't have dreamed of doing a protest/counterprotest, let alone a big ironic tongue-in-cheek one made to own 50-year-olds and be genuinely funny on camera.

:corsair: "Hey kid, when I was your age I sucked a lot worse than you do"

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i love the guy that tries to reason with the kids and then walks away because they're clearly just stupid and unreasonable, who will then go on to fail to notice the exact same pattern for the next 40 people who walk away from him

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

a random lawyer thing: as many people may have read, the National Rifle Association recently filed for bankruptcy. now, this was a little odd: they have no debt. what the gently caress do they need bankruptcy for? also, they filed in texas, where they have no business. how did they file in texas? they should need to file in new york, where they are incorporated (this is because they were incorporated in the 1870s and never thought to change it).

well, what happened was they created a shell company in texas that was wholly-owned by the NRA. somehow they gave it some debt, they gave it no assets. so it's insolvent, and they filed it for bankruptcy. then the NRA filed for bankruptcy in texas because if a company files for bankruptcy in a location, any of its affiliates can file for bankruptcy in the same location. now, this is obviously sketchy as poo poo, but it happens and venue-shopping for bankruptcy cases is widely tolerated largely because the venue you picked is the one deciding if it was improper!

but here's the next problem: the nra sends out a press release. a really, really, really poorly thought out press release. this press release announced in no uncertain terms that the NRA wasn't just solvent, it was in the best financial shape it's ever been, and the only reason to file for bankruptcy was to escape an enforcement action by the New York Attorney General because they had completely abused their non-profit status by allowing wayne lapierre to relentlessly embezzle from the organization. he needed that yacht trip for security reasons, related to his post as the head of the NRA, you see - so the NRA would need to foot the bill. yes, his whole family needs to come too. yes, the caviar is also required, for security. the sole reason for their bankruptcy filing, they announced, was to escape this new york enforcement action and re-incorporate in texas.

now, this was an amazingly poorly thought out idea. you see, you can get away with a lot in bankruptcy as long as you follow the proper procedures to let the bankruptcy judge find you're in compliance with the bankruptcy code. issuing a press release explicitly laying out that you're abusing the bankruptcy process...does not give him or her a lot of leeway to find that what you're actually doing is trying to deal with liabilities you dispute, instead of trying to evade a state enforcing legitimate regulatory laws about embezzling from nonprofits.

this was one of the most poorly thought out press releases in bankruptcy history. as a result, the new york attorney general moved to dismiss the bankruptcy filing as an obvious bad-faith filing, based on the rather strong argument that the NRA admitted it themselves. they also, as a backup measure, moved for the appointment of a trustee - after all, the NRA is still headed by Wayne LaPierre, the embezzler - and he can't be trusted to run the NRA in bankruptcy and investigate the NRA's claims against him for his own embezzlement. the NRA has been unable to really claim that bad poo poo wasn't happening but claim they completely righted the ship in 2018 and they put restrictions on lapierre to make sure he wouldn't be doing any embezzling. any more, that is.

oh and for good measure, ol' wayne forgot to tell the NRA board he was going to file for bankruptcy, or get their permission to do so. that is...problematic, as he may have no more right to file the NRA for bankruptcy than I do (he claims he slipped a clause into his employment contract to authorize it) - generally filing for bankruptcy must be authorized by the board. that's a big legal problem! but it is also a problem for the claims that "oh yeah, we, the board, totally have wayne under control and can stop him embezzling" because he literally filed the organization for bankruptcy without bothering to ask you and his defense is you are all such nitwits you didn't notice he gave himself that authority in a contract you approved

anywho, they've now held a trial on all of this and at the end of the trial, the US Trustee piped up. the US Trustee's job is, basically, to represent the government but, more accurately, they can be thought of as representing "the bankruptcy code" - often times it may be in people's interest to just ignore what the law says, and they come in and say "actually no, you gotta follow the bankruptcy code". this is different from APPOINTING a trustee, who will be an outside party to take over control of the debtors (they will be appointed by the US Trustee or by the court in consultation with the US Trustee (i forget which), but won't answer to the US Trustee or be their employee).

well, they got up and said "yep this case was filed in bad faith, and should be thrown out, or you should appoint a trustee" at the end of arguments. this...doesn't happen. usually the US Trustee's only real involvement is flyspecking the various bankruptcy professionals' retention/fees, and then objecting (and getting overruled) when a corporate bankruptcy does any number of the things that push the envelope of what's allowed but routinely get allowed anyway (because you can venue-shop and make sure you get a judge who will).

this...is not good for the nra. decision will come down next week, and it's a rando texas bankruptcy judge who never does big cases so nobody really knows (and who probably wants to rule in the NRA's favor, but they've really done a number on his ability to do so). but right now, it is very fun to watch - and if the NRA's bankruptcy filing gets dismissed (it absolutely should) they are hosed.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FizFashizzle posted:

:agreed:, which is why it's a notable sign of disarray that McCarthy seems prepped to give in to the demands to knock her off his leadership team for insufficient trumpiness.

There are ways to do this artfully, that may actually help in 2022, but zero loving confidence in McCarthy to accomplish it.

zoux posted:

And where do those congresscritters and the voters who support them go? Are those voters equally distributed across purple districts or are they concentrated and disproportionately the suburban highpropensity voters that formed the backbone of the 2012 gerrymander? How much more challenging does it make drawing maps if even 25% of that 25% stay home next year?

To reiterate since the discussion seems to spiral there otherwise: I'm not predicting the death of the GOP or a permanent (or "durable") Dem majority. But publicly feuding with Liz Cheney before booting her for being too centrist and insufficiently Trumploving is a risky response to the current GOP internal strife. It's possible they'd replace her in leadership with someone equally as exciting to the donors and wing that would prefer a return to the Romney/Bush era who is less publicly antagonistic to Trump and this is all kayfabe to raise her profile and mollify the Trumpers without anything changing.

There's just nothing to indicate they're smart enough to pull that off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

- and if the NRA's bankruptcy filing gets dismissed (it absolutely should) they are hosed.

Interesting post, during the Trump era it seems like a bunch of Republican orgs and pols decided they could just chutzpah their way through things like "the law". But I'd also like to know more about the ways in which they would be hosed if their case gets tossed.

Paracaidas posted:

To reiterate since the discussion seems to spiral there otherwise: I'm not predicting the death of the GOP or a permanent (or "durable") Dem majority. But publicly feuding with Liz Cheney before booting her for being too centrist and insufficiently Trumploving is a risky response to the current GOP internal strife. It's possible they'd replace her in leadership with someone equally as exciting to the donors and wing that would prefer a return to the Romney/Bush era who is less publicly antagonistic to Trump and this is all kayfabe to raise her profile and mollify the Trumpers without anything changing.

There's just nothing to indicate they're smart enough to pull that off.

The political dynamic that I ascribe to tells me that the voters follow the party, not the other way around. Where do those "normal" republicans go in a full nutjob takeover? Nowhere, they continue to reliably pull the level for the GOP while the actual candidate decisions are made in primaries. The only thing that matters is the letter after the name.

I think Benjy has it right here:
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1389585439019896832

e:
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1389598979948646400

Cheney signaling that she's going to fight against the dying of the light and force a messy vote to remove her, but I don't think anyone gives a poo poo. I think they'll overwhelmingly bounce her and she'll go back to being what the Representative from Wyoming usually is, a backbencher with no portfolio.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 4, 2021

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/SamBraslow/status/1389358836864090112

This kid rules

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Interesting post, during the Trump era it seems like a bunch of Republican orgs and pols decided they could just chutzpah their way through things like "the law". But I'd also like to know more about the ways in which they would be hosed if their case gets tossed.

The political dynamic that I ascribe to tells me that the voters follow the party, not the other way around. Where do those "normal" republicans go in a full nutjob takeover? Nowhere, they continue to reliably pull the level for the GOP while the actual candidate decisions are made in primaries. The only thing that matters is the letter after the name.

I think Benjy has it right here:
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1389585439019896832

e:
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1389598979948646400

Cheney signaling that she's going to fight against the dying of the light and force a messy vote to remove her, but I don't think anyone gives a poo poo. I think they'll overwhelmingly bounce her and she'll go back to being what the Representative from Wyoming usually is, a backbencher with no portfolio.

This seems like a showdown for the soul of the party in the house. Liz Cheney has managed to stay afloat in the various attacks on her due to the moderate portion of the caucus not going all in for Trump but I am not optimistic about her chances here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zoux posted:

I was doing a harassment training thing for work yesterday and I kept thinking about how the reason all these guidelines and best practices and rules exist is because it's in the organization's interest to have them; they've realized, over the long term, through trial and error, that it's better to make everyone conform to certain standards of behavior even when it's way easier and more fun to just say "gently caress it" and not have any rules.

Like I can imagine some tech bro company founding itself all like "Come work for us, you can be racist and sexist all you want! It's just the free market baybeee" And it would probably work fine for like ... a month, until something way worse than falling afoul of some kind of federal workplace compliance guideline happened. Like lawsuits, or huge ugly headlines, or massive embezzlement scandals.

Everybody's all like "Pssh, laws, I'm not a baby" and then drives 120 mph into a wall or spills a barrel of acid all over their shop floor

So we just saw four years of what happens when an entire government does that, along with every organization that thought that government being in power meant they no longer "had" to do anything they were "supposed" to do. Now we get to find out how many of them learned why those laws all exist in time, or how many of them will just splatter into the wall, when having the law bring them up short would have been the way safer outcome for them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1389603810142789632

Anyone know what this is about?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Looks like the investigation into Rudy is over. He's got an airtight alibi.

quote:

Giuliani argued that a plain look at the facts would completely exonerate him.

“There was no way I was aiding Russia. Our political goals do not align in any way. They’ve been trying to make me a Russian agent for about three years, which is totally nuts. I’m probably the biggest anti-Communist you’ve ever met,” Giuliani told Fox News host Sean Hannity

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol Ted Cruz criticizing the CIA is great.

Next he's gonna be like "we need special armbands to show unity and strength"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tennessee has been debating a bill introduced by a Republican House Member that will ban "critical race theory" from public history classes and teach "both sides of every argument in an objective way" including the pros and cons of slavery (how it was needed to build an industrial nation).

They are also voting on a bill to make it legal to run over protestors if they are blocking your car.

It's probably one of those.