Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is it possible to find co conspirators to murder? Because I got murdered by a guy that absolutely should not have been able to murder me, and, if possible, I would like to cut a blazing swath of justice through my old court before completely obliterating his pathetic and mismanaged realm.

Opened the thread without really looking which one it was, that second line had me :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Kill them all, let God sort them out

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Shellception posted:

Opened the thread without really looking which one it was, that second line had me :stonklol:

I'm very curious what thread you briefly thought you were in.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's a secret thread only for highlanders

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
just lol if you are not in the immortal subforum, im the op of the vampire thread

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

In my current run I've seen one-province counts successfully defeat both the AI-formed Empire of Francia and, in one instance, an aggressively expansionist Pope.

So I think that there are means, it's just all down to the timing, and the Byzantine's tend to have a bit less opportunity to ambush while their pants are down.

The main problem with factions is pretty much the same as with Crusades – the AI is completely unable to coordinate multiple allied armies against a doomstack.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I'm not entirely sure that being an agent is a crime unless it's specifically directed at you, as in your current character, or if they even get dinged for the crime they help commit.

The general rule is, the main schemer is protected from detection up until the moment the attempt is made, at which point they can end up being detected and accused for the crime (or it generates a secret that can be discovered later). Agents, on the other hand, can be detected while the scheme is building (which generates the “scheming against me” crime), but seem to be in the clear once the deed is done, irrespective of any other outcomes. But that's just from reading the rule descriptions, and definitely not from any kind of experimentation so take it with a subcontinent worth of salt — whether that's how it actually ends up working is a very good question.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
agents can be caught I think? I always end up with a bunch of nobodies who I can imprison for scheming against me and I doubt many of them were the schemer.

also we should be able to torture the name of the schemer out of agents instead of it not being labelled a secret to be found. what’s the point of imprisoning the dumbass map makers you catch then

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm very curious what thread you briefly thought you were in.

Some variation of the PYF Unnerving Stories one. Hey, content matched until I actually parsed the information.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New dev diary
Changes to trait interactions and consequences, including Shy no longer generating stress when launching personal schemes.
And also AI improvements - mostly about how the AI moves its units while at war.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

agents can be caught I think? I always end up with a bunch of nobodies who I can imprison for scheming against me and I doubt many of them were the schemer.

also we should be able to torture the name of the schemer out of agents instead of it not being labelled a secret to be found. what’s the point of imprisoning the dumbass map makers you catch then

They can be caught, yes, but their crime is the relatively minor “scheming”, not “murder” or “kidnapping”. It also doesn't seem to generate secrets like any of the bigger crimes do, so it's catching them red-handed or nothing as far as I can tell.

As for imprisoning them, it probably ties into the whole idea that the schemer is safe until they finally pull the trigger — the choice to use agents isn't meant to change that, but rather to add the cost-benefit analysis of increasing your scheme power but also running the risk of not just losing all that power but having the target become even harder to go after.

Throwing agents in jail still ruins their contribution to the scheme, and you can conceivably extract hooks on them that should(?) prevent them from doing it again in the (near) future. But yeah, a (possibly rare) secret revealed through torture would make a whole lot of sense even if that goes against the whole idea of the schemer being safe.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Dwesa posted:

New dev diary
Changes to trait interactions and consequences, including Shy no longer generating stress when launching personal schemes.
And also AI improvements - mostly about how the AI moves its units while at war.

More expansion in personality traits is very welcome. I like the trait-based decisions and hope we see a lot of them eventually.

This patch looks quite a bit bigger than I was originally expecting.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Dwesa posted:

This alone makes waiting for the patch worth it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gantolandon posted:

The main problem with factions is pretty much the same as with Crusades – the AI is completely unable to coordinate multiple allied armies against a doomstack.

Well what's really weird is that sometimes they are. I've seen it about 50/50 where the AI understands it needs to mob up and force a battle, but it feels equally likely that they'll just sit there letting all their supplies exhaust until the "oh poo poo I'm losing this war" effect kicks in and then they commit mass suicide.

Dev diary looks like a good change though, hopefully it pans out.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 4, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Dismiss hook interaction? Does that work on just weak hooks or strong hooks? I would assume only the small ones, since those are more "favors" and strong hooks are more like, "this guy has dirt on me"

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Fun trip report:

Trying to get the North Sea empire formed. Started a new game, starting at Oslo. Had one daughter, my spouse got murdered, decided to not have any more kids. That daughter inherits, forms Norway, and Denmark. She has one son (Embraced Celibacy afterward to manage inheritance). Marries him to princess from Brittany. They have one kid, then the son dies at 19 in a battle in a war that Brittany had called me in as an ally. So I'm left with my queen of Norway/Denmark and her infant grandson.

I invade England (which is shattered into a variety of duchies). Conquer that, form England. Almost have all the territory for North Sea, just waiting for Truces for a 3 county count that has 3 disjoint counties completely spread out. My Queen of Norway/Denmark/England dies at long last, the grandson (who is now 17) inherits. I betrothed him to the only Intelligent woman available to marry, but she's 12.

Consolidating my rule, declare war on the last disjoint counties to lock in the North Sea territory. Married his betrothed as she comes of age.

And then my ruler, last of his dynasty, gets bubonic plague and dies in a few months. No children.

End of Game.

Welp.

Q: Schemes

The princess from Brittany I married was ... fourth in the line of succession. I assume it's unlikely to be able to Murder Scheme my way to having the infant grandson be the joint heir for both realms, right? I was seeing like 20% success chance and 8 year duration for each scheme... of course my character was not Intrigue focused, how much better does the Intrigue lifestyles / approach make this?

Q: Good capitals for the North Sea Empire attempt?

I guess Sjaelland is probably the best? Trying to figure out something that works well across England/Denmark/Norway.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

alcaras posted:

Q: Schemes

The princess from Brittany I married was ... fourth in the line of succession. I assume it's unlikely to be able to Murder Scheme my way to having the infant grandson be the joint heir for both realms, right? I was seeing like 20% success chance and 8 year duration for each scheme... of course my character was not Intrigue focused, how much better does the Intrigue lifestyles / approach make this?

I guess Sjaelland is probably the best? Trying to figure out something that works well across England/Denmark/Norway.

Good intrigue would make that almost trivial if you were starting at 20 already. Assuming your intrigue was like, 8 or something. A guy with about 20+ intrigue and the actual bonuses, plus maybe a good or great spymaster set to "support schemes" can get nasty fast. Even better with a competent spouse.

Edit
As in "sometimes you gotta murder a Pope or Byzantine Emperor"

For capital, well, it depends on how much you enjoy stewardship. If you don't like painstakingly raising development, then probably wherever starts high already.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 4, 2021

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

alcaras posted:

I chose London/Middlesex because it's got a unique building and lots of farmlands. In terms of flavor it's not exactly central, but it is a pretty good duchy/county to hold for yourself.

Edit: Which isn't where I started, I started in Sjaelland I think, but I moved to London after forming the empire and switching to Norman culture.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 4, 2021

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

alcaras posted:

I did it starting in Vestfold with a custom ruler without much difficulty.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

crossposting from the general Paradox thread

PittTheElder posted:

Oh man, whoever said they really opened up the interface to modders in CK3 wasn't kidding. I just went looking at mods to see if any balance mods existed yet, and found this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2218592748

I have not played it or even read the description of what it does, but those screenshots show whole new interfaces, which is pretty rad.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The map maker event should have an option to torture him to reveal the scheme. It might rely upon being sadistic or a torturer, I don't remember anymore. It's a great one to get though, since it's a free high martial + prowess character after you imprison and then recruit. From what I remember they aren't scripted to have any real opinion of you, so other than the usual temporary opinion penalty for force recruit they are perfectly loyal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is it possible to find co conspirators to murder? Because I got murdered by a guy that absolutely should not have been able to murder me, and, if possible, I would like to cut a blazing swath of justice through my old court before completely obliterating his pathetic and mismanaged realm.

While the scheme is ongoing you can catch agents, but if the murder has already happened I don't think you can find them after the fact.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

While the scheme is ongoing you can catch agents, but if the murder has already happened I don't think you can find them after the fact.

your spymaster can discover murder secrets if you think you know who did it

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

is there still no linking armies? every game i've started ends when it gets to the point where i have to call in allies and vassals to deal with AI doomstacks and instead of all attacking at once they run around in circles getting picked off piecemeal.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I noticed yesterday that I could link my armies, which I was definitely not interested in doing.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PittTheElder posted:

:argh: POPULISTS!! :argh:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hot take: Congenital traits should be hidden until you are in adolescence and the trait dynasty legacy should give you a good chance at shrewd or strong instead of letting you breed a stable of superhumans.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dwesa posted:

New dev diary

That shy change is great and makes it not a massive pain in the rear end to have.
Looking forward to killing many characters by trying to force development growth as well. :sun:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Hot take: Congenital traits should be hidden until you are in adolescence and the trait dynasty legacy should give you a good chance at shrewd or strong instead of letting you breed a stable of superhumans.

no I need to perfect my golden path Islamic Russia game first

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm poking around at creating a mod for myself just to see if I can cure some of the things that bug me the most. Anyone have ideas as to why Islamic Clans are so profoundly weak in the late game? I was surprised to see the minimum levy contribution was so high. Are they just not building buildings?

Lawman 0 posted:

:agreed:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lawman 0 posted:

:actually:

The entire point of these games (all 3 CKs) is that they are superhuman breeding sims first, everything else second.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2477273689

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ZombieLenin posted:

:actually:

The entire point of these games (all 3 CKs) is that they are superhuman breeding sims first, everything else second.

Just lol if you don't actually get worse rulers over time and pull them to greatness by fending off total collapse

Edit
If the best alliance/claims/whatever is attached to a stupid dwarf, then it's wedding bells for Dopey.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Just lol if you don't actually get worse rulers over time and pull them to greatness by fending off total collapse

Edit
If the best alliance/claims/whatever is attached to a stupid dwarf, then it's wedding bells for Dopey.

This is absolute fact! :D I think everyone starts off trying to breed the kwisatz haderach briefly at first because it's good for a quick laugh, but only the truly enlightened progress to embracing the likes of Charles II of Spain.
Only pitiful comet-fearers strive for genetic perfection. :colbert:

I mean, sometimes if you're lucky, you get a hopeless sack of poo poo as your ruler, who somehow survives the odds and becomes a legitimately good ruler!
That's what happened to my possessed idiot baby (who murdered his mother as an infant) in CK2, who later ended up becoming immortal....just uh, ignore his first hundred years, before he became a good person. Those were some rough years.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
One of my vassals is the Muwalladi Caliph, and he has 35(??) Learning. I moused over him and his base is 4

So like, if you survive to middle age in CK3, you're gonna be good at at least your chosen field. At least.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Just did a successful Al-Andulus run in one life starting in 867*. Don't know if it was cheesing it, but I also set "Scandinavian Adventurers" to Apocalyptic, which doesn't remove Ironman.

Otherwise:
1. Made a 400 pt custom leader for the Umayyads focused on military with Visigothic culture
2. Loading in, all of my vassals hated me because of culture. (*Only restart was only a few months in because the Independence faction.)
3. Immediately went to war with the kingdom with ~two counties just east of Asturias and gave land one of the vassals in the faction. (*This broke the faction in the second run)
4. Kept assassinating West Francia/Burgundian Kings to keep them weak.
5. Took turns attacking them and Asturias for truce cooldown.
6. Married kids to N African kingdoms for alliances but didn't really need them.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 5, 2021

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I think hiding those traits until adolescence would be a great “Game Rules” addition - some people would absolutely embrace it, while others would hate it. A toggle would give us a new “right way to play the game” thing to argue about, thereby making everyone happy!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Veryslightlymad posted:

Edit

Nah, you’re doing it wrong. Just manufacture the claims you want, or better yet, covert to a new religion so you can Holy War your neighbors.

Fake Edit

I am joking, but when you really think about any of the CKs, you really truly never need to marry for a claim as there are so many mechanics that allow you to get claims, or conquest without them, that it is totally unnecessary.

And yes, I get that by utilizing these you are sort of missing out on some of the fun of the game, but the game can really truly be played without worrying one iota about claims or alliances through marriages.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ZombieLenin posted:

Nah, you’re doing it wrong. Just manufacture the claims you want, or better yet, covert to a new religion so you can Holy War your neighbors.

Fake Edit

I am joking, but when you really think about any of the CKs, you really truly never need to marry for a claim as there are so many mechanics that allow you to get claims, or conquest without them, that it is totally unnecessary.

And yes, I get that by utilizing these you are sort of missing out on some of the fun of the game, but the game can really truly be played without worrying one iota about claims or alliances through marriages.

Yeah, but it's not fun. I want to barely survive and only expand because my neighbors forced me to. I want beloved brothers that become backstabbing uncles. I want to have my lands split apart sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

guidoanselmi posted:

Don't know if it was cheesing it, but I also set "Scandinavian Adventurers" to Apocalyptic, which doesn't remove Ironman.

It's the best way to play, because you end up with absolute chaos all throughout Europe. I've had a few game overs when one of them decided to take my land, but it's always worth having on IMO. A shame it only goes for the first 100 years though.