Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus, like ... "how shameful for us, I miss the FBI when it was led by Dale Cooper and Fox Mulder"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Murgos posted:

This seems like a showdown for the soul of the party in the house. Liz Cheney has managed to stay afloat in the various attacks on her due to the moderate portion of the caucus not going all in for Trump but I am not optimistic about her chances here.

i assume she can probably survive a secret ballot vote but not a public one, and that the people gunning for her last time hosed up by making it a secret ballot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tennessee has been debating a bill introduced by a Republican House Member that will ban "critical race theory" from public history classes and teach "both sides of every argument in an objective way" including the pros and cons of slavery (how it was needed to build an industrial nation).

They are also voting on a bill to make it legal to run over protestors if they are blocking your car.

It's probably one of those.

It's not the latter one because looking through the reporter's tweets trying to figure out why TN republicans are going full on founding fathers:
https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1389586730077069316

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

One of the nicest things about being vaccinated is that these people finally seem like less of a threat to my actual existence and more like just some nutbags like the Flat Earthers that can be mocked and ignored. I know I'm being selfish because the pandemic isn't over and there are people out there who are still vulnerable, but holy poo poo is it nice to be able to laugh at something like this without feeling a ton of personal stress about it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

The only thing I think he could be trying to say is that the 3/5th's compromise gave the South less voting power than they would have otherwise and thus it was a good thing?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zoux posted:

Interesting post, during the Trump era it seems like a bunch of Republican orgs and pols decided they could just chutzpah their way through things like "the law". But I'd also like to know more about the ways in which they would be hosed if their case gets tossed.

the NRA has absolutely let their execs relentlessly steal from them and that will all come out, and if their bankruptcy case gets dismissed they go back to NY state courts which will be less than pleased about all this nonsense (and they'll probably be barred from any further bankruptcy filings for 18 months)

if a trustee is appointed their leadership probably gets sued personally

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Thom12255 posted:

The only thing I think he could be trying to say is that the 3/5th's compromise gave the South less voting power than they would have otherwise and thus it was a good thing?

I'm sure that's a thing that a member of the Tennessee state GOP would publicly yell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

It is in fact the CRT bill

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1389607951959273473

https://twitter.com/kkruesi/status/1389608536427094019

I guess that is the point they're making then?

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 4, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Phenotype posted:

One of the nicest things about being vaccinated is that these people finally seem like less of a threat to my actual existence and more like just some nutbags like the Flat Earthers that can be mocked and ignored. I know I'm being selfish because the pandemic isn't over and there are people out there who are still vulnerable, but holy poo poo is it nice to be able to laugh at something like this without feeling a ton of personal stress about it.

Hate to burst your bubble, but they still are a threat. If a large enough amount of the population refuses to get vaccinated then that gives the coronavirus a chance to grow inside of them and mutate into a strain that's unaffected by the current vaccine.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hate to burst your bubble, but they still are a threat. If a large enough amount of the population refuses to get vaccinated then that gives the coronavirus a chance to grow inside of them and mutate into a strain that's unaffected by the current vaccine.

at the end of the day the vaccine-shy who could get a vaccine will be heavily outnumbered by those that want a vaccine but can't get it for a long time

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

Interesting post, during the Trump era it seems like a bunch of Republican orgs and pols decided they could just chutzpah their way through things like "the law". But I'd also like to know more about the ways in which they would be hosed if their case gets tossed.

The political dynamic that I ascribe to tells me that the voters follow the party, not the other way around. Where do those "normal" republicans go in a full nutjob takeover? Nowhere, they continue to reliably pull the level for the GOP while the actual candidate decisions are made in primaries. The only thing that matters is the letter after the name.

I think Benjy has it right here:
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1389585439019896832

e:
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1389598979948646400

Cheney signaling that she's going to fight against the dying of the light and force a messy vote to remove her, but I don't think anyone gives a poo poo. I think they'll overwhelmingly bounce her and she'll go back to being what the Representative from Wyoming usually is, a backbencher with no portfolio.

them destroying cheney isnt gonna help them in the future. there are a alot of quiet moderate conservative leaning types who want to go back to the quiet part quiet and "moderate" poo poo and will probably sit out of the election because the dem stuff doesn't threaten them more than then the current GOP does. it also helps that biden is boring and affable and doesn't create the giant screaming sphere of racism and sphere than obama just existing did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well that's what's going to happen then because we aren't hitting the 80% threshold or whatever that they're forecasting for herd immunity. We'll get to about half.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there are a alot of quiet moderate conservative leaning types who want to go back to the quiet part quiet and "moderate" poo poo and will probably sit out of the election because the dem stuff doesn't threaten them more than then the current GOP does.

I just don't think this is true. Trump got more votes in '20 than '16, and turnout was through the roof.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

if a trustee is appointed their leadership probably gets sued personally

Of note, a fun fact missing from evilweasel's summary: some NRA board members testified in favor of this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

Trump ran the gamut on horrendous behaviour so the reset of faux-outrage is taking a lil longer

Yeah he really put that bar pretty drat high, much higher than I ever could have dreamed on Escalator Day.

Such sweet summer fools we were that day.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Charlz Guybon posted:

The dumbest self own in history, those are by far the cohort most likely to vote for them.

Counter-point: hasn't covid affected big liberal cities the worst? Which is where a slight demographic shift doesn't matter - either the old people are liberals anyway or if conservatives they are nowhere close to turning any seats ever.

Are there any particular badly affected battleground areas where covid could just tilt the scales?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

evilweasel posted:

at the end of the day the vaccine-shy who could get a vaccine will be heavily outnumbered by those that want a vaccine but can't get it for a long time

Doesn't our supply outstrip demand already? The anti-vaxxers are actually a problem holding us back from immunity.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eviltastic posted:

Of note, a fun fact missing from evilweasel's summary: some NRA board members testified in favor of this.

this goes to the reason he is giving he couldn't ask the board for permission - some of them might be traitors!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grondoth posted:

Doesn't our supply outstrip demand already? The anti-vaxxers are actually a problem holding us back from immunity.

in the united states yes (at least in some places, not everywhere yet), globally no.

getting the US to herd immunity won't stop the virus potentially mutating in regions that don't have enough vaccines to stamp it out, and his post was about the potential for new mutations.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 4, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grondoth posted:

Seems like it depends on the state:
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1389612138847670272

quote:

Each state’s share of the total U.S. adult population will still determine weekly allocations. But instead of allowing unordered doses to carry over week-to-week, the White House will steer untapped vaccine into a federal bank available to states where demand continues to outstrip supply. Those states will be able to order up to 50 percent above their weekly allocation.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Oh, and when evilweasel mentions NY courts being less than pleased with the NRA, bear in mind that the NY AG lawsuit really is seeking to carve the organization up on a platter. It's an existential threat. (one of a few of them at this point, heh)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eviltastic posted:

Oh, and when evilweasel mentions NY courts being less than pleased with the NRA, bear in mind that the NY AG lawsuit really is seeking to carve the organization up on a platter. It's an existential threat. (one of a few of them at this point, heh)

my assumption is the NRA won't actually get disbanded but the threat of it will be a powerful cudgel in settlement negotiations and that it will let the ny state courts seem reasonable while imposing very draconian remedies short of dissolution

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

evilweasel posted:

evilweasel posted:

in the united states yes, globally no.

getting the US to herd immunity won't stop the virus potentially mutating in regions that don't have enough vaccines to stamp it out, and his post was about the potential for new mutations.

Good point, but in America specifically if a viral mutation happens here it's going to be because we have this weird and terrible movement telling people not to get vaccinated that a distressingly high amount of people believe in as opposed to not having access to the vaccine.

And while yes it is possible for a mutation to happen anywhere on the planet, a mutation starting here in the USA and spreading to the rest of the world just because a large enough percent of our population refused to take the vaccine would suck for everyone involved.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Which ones? There were some defamation lawsuits filed against him that I think are now starting to move forward; there were other lawsuits to enforce subpoenas that I think have largely been resolved in favor of the government getting the docs it wanted, but now the question is if criminal charges are brought based on those documents.

Let's go with his failure to pay his taxes, that seems like the most likely one that would take him down.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The government just needs to say that if you don't get the vaccine by the end of May it'll cost you $1,000 for a dose. FOMO will take over and the anti-vaxxers will line up to get their shots before they'd have to pay for it otherwise.

Then after the deadline has past, make the Covid vaccine required for travel, public education, etc., and gently caress over the rest of them.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 4, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Parrotine posted:

Let's go with his failure to pay his taxes, that seems like the most likely one that would take him down.

the NY AG is basically inviting Trump's CFO to flip on Trump or to have himself and his entire family indicted, which has happened in the past month or two. here's a link on that: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/new-york-attorney-general-weisselberg/2021/04/01/cbd98728-9302-11eb-9668-89be11273c09_story.html

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I haven't been a conservative or run in conservative circles for about a decade now, but from my rough memory of American historical whitewashing, the 3/5th's compromise was GOOD ACTUALLY because without it, we never would have formed the union.

Nevermind that slavery was bad and this granted slave owners additional representation in the congress based on the amount of slaves they could maintain ownership of... and how morally bankrupt this entire endeavor was from the go... Because we wouldn't be where we are today without brokering this compromise.

This kind of ridiculous justification can be levied against almost every atrocity in world history, but conservative thought loves to apply it with reckless abandon to every awful thing in American history, from internment camps to native genocide.

... and they want to enshrine that bullshit in history classrooms so kids grow up hearing justifications for every bad thing white people ever did. I for one can't wait for how they treat Oklahoma City or Homestead... oh wait, I know how... they're just not gonna tell them kids those things ever happened.

edit:

This is a very generous read and it's entirely possible the guy is just pro-slavery. You never can tell these days.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 4, 2021

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
^^^ yeah the 3/5ths compromise was actually "good" from the perspective of the non slave holding states, insofar as it limited the voting power of the slave holding states who wanted to have their slaves counted fully as part of the census population and therefore artificially increase the number of representatives the southern states had in the federal government while obviously not allowing the slaves any voting rights or any rights in general.

Tennessee has been debating a bill introduced by a Republican House Member that will ban "critical race theory" from public history classes and teach "both sides of every argument in an objective way" including the pros and cons of slavery (how it was needed to build an industrial nation).

Isn't it pretty well known that Slavery actually retards economic and societal development because you end up with a slave owning class in power that actively opposes any innovation or policy that will adversely impact the market value of their slaves? One of the examples that I think Chomsky gave pretty regularly was in Brazil where slavery was legal until 1888 you had slave owners preventing the government from building basic public infrastructure like plumbing because they profited from having their slaves do that work for other people.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 4, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Looks like the investigation into Rudy is over. He's got an airtight alibi.

on one hand it's always tragic when someone's memory starts to go, but on the other hand he gets to relive the excitement of the fall of the berlin wall for a second time

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SpartanIvy posted:

The government just needs to say that if you don't get the vaccine by the end of May it'll cost you $1,000 for a dose. FOMO will take over and the anti-vaxxers will line up to get their shots before they'd have to pay for it otherwise.

Then after the deadline has past, make the Covid vaccine required for travel, public education, etc., and gently caress over the rest of them.

This would not work because some of the more nuttier ones believe it's the Antichrist microchipping you. They will just get more insane.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Starsfan posted:

^^^ yeah the 3/5ths compromise was actually "good" from the perspective of the non slave holding states, insofar as it limited the voting power of the slave holding states who wanted to have their slaves counted fully as part of the census population and therefore artificially increase the number of representatives the southern states had in the federal government while obviously not allowing the slaves any voting rights or any rights in general.

Even by that logic wouldn't not having slavery at all have been "better"?

Then there wouldn't have been a need to have a Union or a Civil War. Not arguing with you specifically, just the idea in general.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 4, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

InsertPotPun posted:

i love the guy that tries to reason with the kids and then walks away because they're clearly just stupid and unreasonable, who will then go on to fail to notice the exact same pattern for the next 40 people who walk away from him

Wait, you think the kids are the unreasonable ones in the kid/anti-masker thing here? They're trolling him because he's a conspiracy theory crazy person.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
It's a dumb argument because any time you've reduced persons to less than a full person (or even had the conversation about whether you should reduce one person to less than another), you're already morally bankrupt and any attempt to look at the potential "good" outcome is completely tainted by the fact that once upon a time, it was enshrined in our Constitution that black people were legally and spiritually less than white people.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like the investigation into Rudy is over. He's got an airtight alibi.

Shh, don't tell Rudy Russia hasn't been under communist rule since before he was mayor of NYC otherwise he might stumble into a coherent defense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The US Constitution would never have been ratified without some sort of sop to the slaveowning states. We can argue whether or not the existence of the United States of America is a "good" or a "bad" thing, but abolishing slavery wasn't on the table.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Wait, you think the kids are the unreasonable ones in the kid/anti-masker thing here? They're trolling him because he's a conspiracy theory crazy person.

That's... pretty clearly not what they're thinking in that post.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Slavery is bad. Any argument that tries to say slavery is good is also bad.

Anyone trying to argue "slavery was good actually" should not be in a position of power.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone trying to argue "slavery was good actually" should not be in a position of power.

The question itself assumes an impossible counterfactual. Yes, the three/fifths compromise was better than what the slave states wanted, which was the full population of the slaves counted for the purposes of delegate share in the house of commons but not as taxable wealth. Yes, the three/fifths compromise was worse than what the free states wanted, which was to count only free (white male) people for representation but tax them fully. But it doesn't matter because neither position would've been ratified, and we would have at best had a free northern country and a slave holding southern country that probably would've found a reason to go to war anyway as they both raced to expand westward.

Perhaps a better question is why we insist on cleaving to the original beliefs of a bunch of slaveowning aristocrats from 200 years ago instead of amending/rewriting the national charter to reflect the modern world in which we live, with electricity and human rights and such.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

From a purely utilitarian perspective, slavery can be bad but tolerated so long as it leads to the larger net good of the union's existence. This is obviously not the modern view of the issue but it was the contemporary one.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

zoux posted:

The US Constitution would never have been ratified without some sort of sop to the slaveowning states. We can argue whether or not the existence of the United States of America is a "good" or a "bad" thing, but abolishing slavery wasn't on the table.

I mean we had an army ready to go in 1783.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

them destroying cheney isnt gonna help them in the future. there are a alot of quiet moderate conservative leaning types who want to go back to the quiet part quiet and "moderate" poo poo and will probably sit out of the election because the dem stuff doesn't threaten them more than then the current GOP does.
The Texas special election a few days ago suggests that these "moderates" make up about 3% of voting Republicans. It would probably be even less in a straight head-to-head against a Democrat.