Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
The brooks brothers "slim" (lol) fit shirts work well for me. Suits are mostly suit supply right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like the fit of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts but the fabric quality is hit or miss. Some are wafer thin and quick to wrinkle, others are firm and feel substantial. BB shirts are consistently good. My suits are mostly basic bitch BB and Jos A Bank stuff but my firm is very casual (nobody wears suits in the office) and suits suck to wear in the 8 months of summer in the deep south. I have a few linen and poplin suits and jackets from various OTR brands.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
All my wardrobe was from MWH before they got bought out and turned into a shot pile. I’ve got no idea where to go now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

All my wardrobe was from MWH before they got bought out and turned into a shot pile. I’ve got no idea where to go now.

If you know your size I’ve had good luck finding nice suits on eBay at reasonable prices. Look for known good suit makers. Assume you’re going to get it tailored but then, you should anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I've gotten clothes various places over the years but these days I just go to jos.a bank, it's good enough and anything better is more money than I can afford, especially since I don't particularly want to look too flashy in the courtroom anyway.

One thing I don't regret at all was spending $500 fifteen years ago on a pair of brooks brothers / Allen edmonds Cordovan leather loafers. Just had them resoled, worn them constantly for fifteen years now and they've held up, and they're at a nice balance point where they're suitable for any environment, courtroom, office, etc.

If you're in the South, despite the stereotype, it's worthwhile to buy a seersucker suit also. Get tan stripes not blue and don't wear a bow tie with it, you don't want to look like a cartoon character. Only costs around $100 and it's the most comfortable thing you can wear in the summer, cheaper and easier to maintain than linen.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 3, 2021

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I use a local suit store with wood paneling where the inside smells exactly the way it should. I pay a bit more but everything I buy can be brought back in for future alterations.

The owner also drove 3 hours the day before my wedding to get a replacement tux jacket for my brother who was flying in so I'll pay whatever premium they quote me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pook Good Mook posted:

I use a local suit store with wood paneling where the inside smells exactly the way it should. I pay a bit more but everything I buy can be brought back in for future alterations.

The owner also drove 3 hours the day before my wedding to get a replacement tux jacket for my brother who was flying in so I'll pay whatever premium they quote me.

Yeah I used to go to a place like that. They closed =(

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Dress shirts: Jos. A Bank
Suits: Dillards or Neiman
Non-Suit Pants for polo shirt day: Belk has stretchy-waist dress pants for my big ole butt that fit nice and look good
Ties: whatever
Shoes: I have monster EEEE wide feet so I still haven't found good, comfortable dress shoes that aren't like $400 custom bullshit after 10 years of looking.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you're in the South, despite the stereotype, it's worthwhile to buy a seersucker suit also. Get tan stripes not blue and don't wear a bow tie with it, you don't want to look like a cartoon character. Only costs around $100 and it's the most comfortable thing you can wear in the summer, cheaper and easier to maintain than linen.

I need to do this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I bought a couple packs of mixed pattern ties off amazon a few years ago, so I have a over a dozen ties of various styles/colors to mix and match with all my shirts of various color/patterns.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

What if I want to look like a cartoon character? Red stripes?

ties: I need long ties generally (I can make a short tie work, but I need to spend a lot longer to get the length right because it has almost no tail). Tie bar is pretty good for my "everyday" ties. I have a ton of fancy ties I never wear as well, plus on fancy tie with pigs on it I wear anytime I know I will deal with a cop.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Reminds me of this except funny

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

And now one of those assholes is a Judge!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Every few seasons J Crew has a navy on navy seersucker suit and so it doesn't even register as seersucker rather than just a cotton navy suit. Love mine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

JohnCompany posted:

Every few seasons J Crew has a navy on navy seersucker suit and so it doesn't even register as seersucker rather than just a cotton navy suit. Love mine.

Oooooh

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Holy poo poo being a business person is the worst part of this whole thing. What is a PBX why won't my old fashioned phones work with old fashioned phone lines do I need to pay for 4 phone lines in 2021 that seems absurd. Quite frankly even having one phone line seems silly. They installed a phone modem at my office so I can get phone service over the internet then back into old fashioned phones but they told me my nortel meridian phones with warranty expiry 1989 stickers on the back are the wrong types of phones unless I buy a phone computer. What even is this

Also I bought a boat and I've been so busy loving around with phones I haven't sailed it yet gently caress law

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
At least you've learned to spell "Warszawa".

Remember, the S comes before the Z.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Got a question, please tell me if this is the right thread or where I should move it to if there's a better thread.

I fell into becoming the president of my condo's HOA because everyone else either quits or can't be trusted with it. I know absolutely nothing about running an HOA but I'm here because I'm the person the least amount of people have a problem with I guess

We are in Los Angeles

We have a gardener who is the father in law of one of the residents. We get a great rate from him, $180/month when most others quote us $250

My treasurer is refusing to pay him several months of invoices because he won't provide a W9. Maybe the gardener is undocumented, maybe he's avoiding taxes, I dunno and I kinda won't want to know.

Is not providing a W9 a dealbreaker? Are paycheck stubs enough evidence that we paid him? Can we just fill out a 1099-NEC and say "REFUSED" where it asks for a tax ID or something?

I want to settle this amicably for everyone. The treasurer refused to pay him for several months and let him keep cutting our grass which feels like acting in bad faith.

What do you guys think?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
You should go to law school.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Got a question, please tell me if this is the right thread or where I should move it to if there's a better thread.

I fell into becoming the president of my condo's HOA because everyone else either quits or can't be trusted with it. I know absolutely nothing about running an HOA but I'm here because I'm the person the least amount of people have a problem with I guess

We are in Los Angeles

We have a gardener who is the father in law of one of the residents. We get a great rate from him, $180/month when most others quote us $250

My treasurer is refusing to pay him several months of invoices because he won't provide a W9. Maybe the gardener is undocumented, maybe he's avoiding taxes, I dunno and I kinda won't want to know.

Is not providing a W9 a dealbreaker? Are paycheck stubs enough evidence that we paid him? Can we just fill out a 1099-NEC and say "REFUSED" where it asks for a tax ID or something?

I want to settle this amicably for everyone. The treasurer refused to pay him for several months and let him keep cutting our grass which feels like acting in bad faith.

What do you guys think?

The thread you're looking for is this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

But the answer there will be, "We're not legally allowed to give you tax advice, or legal advice on how to handle your specific situation."

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Steve Yun posted:

We are in Los Angeles

What do you guys think?

Actually I think the better thread for you is the tax thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394641

You're more likely to get an answer to that specific question (whether a W9 is required to pay someone in this situation) from some CPAs. If the answer ends up being that you can't pay him, then maybe reach out to a lawyer and figure out your options.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Steve Yun posted:

We are in Los Angeles

What do you guys think?

Nobody is going to be able to give you a legal answer.

this could be anything from "treasurer doesn't like paying bills" to "gardener is undocumented" to "gardener is giving you the cheap rate because he doesnt' want to deal with forms, and now you're asking for a form" to "gardener is going to haul you into small claims court a year from now and charge interest on the unpaid invoices."

The practical non-legal answer is talk to everybody and figure out what the treasurer's real problem is and what the gardener's real problem is and see if they're reconcilable. Is the treasurer a stickler for rules or are they a secret racist or do they just not like the gardener or what?

Regardless the HOA should probably talk to a lawyer. I quit as president of my HOA several years ago in part because they perennially kept cheaping out on necessary expenses, like not wanting to pay lawyers legal fees to answer questions where that was appropriate. As it is here.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Nobody is going to be able to give you a legal answer.

this could be anything from "treasurer doesn't like paying bills" to "gardener is undocumented" to "gardener is giving you the cheap rate because he doesnt' want to deal with forms, and now you're asking for a form" to "gardener is going to haul you into small claims court a year from now and charge interest on the unpaid invoices."

The practical non-legal answer is talk to everybody and figure out what the treasurer's real problem is and what the gardener's real problem is and see if they're reconcilable. Is the treasurer a stickler for rules or are they a secret racist or do they just not like the gardener or what?

Regardless the HOA should probably talk to a lawyer. I quit as president of my HOA several years ago in part because they perennially kept cheaping out on necessary expenses, like not wanting to pay lawyers legal fees to answer questions where that was appropriate. As it is here.

Ya my first thought was, "The HOA should probably already have a lawyer that they use/trust." My second thought was, "Oh wait, HOA."

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

We are in Los Angeles

What do you guys think?

Totally unrelated but make sure your HOA business entity is active status with your state corporation commission, I've never not seen someone in your position inadvertently let that lapse

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Steve Yun posted:

We are in Los Angeles

What do you guys think?

all HOAs are inherently evil and should be disbanded

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

"We're not legally allowed to give you tax advice, or legal advice on how to handle your specific situation."

No, you don't need to pay taxes. Let me introduce you to your berth certificate and gold fringes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks everyone!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

No, you don't need to pay taxes. Let me introduce you to your berth certificate and gold fringes.

Ha, you fool, you quoted my CORPORATE PERSON, and have created joinder

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

gently caress insurance adjusters. Why is that rear end in a top hat even watching? Just wait until your lawyer tells you what happened.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Nichol posted:

...gently caress law

Please tell me more about this branch of study. Should I encourage a soon-to-graduate cousin to look for openings in the field of gently caress law?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ratatozsk posted:

Please tell me more about this branch of study. Should I encourage a soon-to-graduate cousin to look for openings in the field of gently caress law?

Cousins are soo last decade's thing. All the openings now are for step-relatives.
How is your cousin at getting stuck in household objects?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

gently caress insurance adjusters. Why is that rear end in a top hat even watching? Just wait until your lawyer tells you what happened.
So he can bitch about things he doesn't understand and try to use it to get a lower bill.
This "your seat number is not your juror number" thing is a standard spiel for any 6 pack jury selection in CA, at least.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You're just mad it wasn't an actual lawyer loving up and wrecking their career.

And so am I.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
How did they identify the culprit? Did this moron fess up in a room full of attorneys? Whenever someone says something on Webex there are always at least 2 or 3 other attendees who are transmitting some kind of background noise garbage at the same time. Plenty of plausible deniability.

Edit: Doh, I cracked the case. He said it infront of a bunch of defense attorney's who narced on him immediately.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Edit: Doh, I cracked the case. He said it infront of a bunch of defense attorney's who narced on him immediately.

And you thought it was only Australian ones who did that.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Just wrapped a remote trial, and although it was not near as good, a buffoon on the other side delivered a two hour expert direct with a very bad expert, and it was punctuated with whispers to the associate next to him that were picked up by the mic like "I have no idea what he [the expert] is talking about," "is this in the outline," and "why am I asking these questions?"

I did like half the witnesses in the trial, all experts. I'm not sure how you real trial lawyers do this, I'm destroyed.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

gvibes posted:

Just wrapped a remote trial, and although it was not near as good, a buffoon on the other side delivered a two hour expert direct with a very bad expert, and it was punctuated with whispers to the associate next to him that were picked up by the mic like "I have no idea what he [the expert] is talking about," "is this in the outline," and "why am I asking these questions?"

I did like half the witnesses in the trial, all experts. I'm not sure how you real trial lawyers do this, I'm destroyed.

It is a rare expert indeed that does what they're there to do and actually help the fact finder understand things better

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

It is a rare expert indeed that does what they're there to do and actually help the fact finder understand things better

Yeah I hope to see it someday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah I hope to see it someday

In criminal cases at least, experts tend to be fairly straightforward and understandable, they're usually the actual "fact" witness on something like DNA or certification for a breath machine.

That only applies to state witnesses, definitely not to the guns for hire with their University of Phoenix doctorates who did their PhD on a 50-state survey of field sobriety tests and why they're actually eugenics and let me tell you about them for 50 minutes.