Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A surprising number of the 80s cartoon-as-a-commercial series were genuinely entertaining before they solidified the formula. They weren't necessarily good but they could be weird in an engaging fashion.

He Man and Thundercats were both on the high end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I miss Day9 playing Starcraft. He’s great regardless, but that was definitely his element :smith:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my ultimate dream is for day9 to conquer the trauma of baba is you and become the first person ive ever seen stream it to actually finish it

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
just kidding that game doesnt end

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Violen posted:

my ultimate dream is for day9 to conquer the trauma of baba is you and become the first person ive ever seen stream it to actually finish it

Violen posted:

just kidding that game doesnt end
Punchy did it. Here's a thirty minute speedrun. Also has several hours word of twitch vods for doing the game normally.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

DuckTales and He Man are good though.

The Toys That Made Us episode made it extremely clear that, yes, the Filmnation camp was indeed intentional.

Sidenote, it's amusing seeing, at the time of Roar, people bemoan it's quality and compare it to the intro, which usually tended to be where the commissioned japanese studio would spend as much time as possible trying to make it as well animated, only for the main episode to be somewhat stiff. At least Roar kept the same quality outside the intro!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kunster posted:

The Toys That Made Us episode made it extremely clear that, yes, the Filmnation camp was indeed intentional.

I always felt like it'd be crazier to ever think it wasn't, like woo boy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Violen posted:

I wish I wasn't too stupid for the game cause I watched the end stuff and it looks wild. But it got to a point where I was looking up the solution to every stage at a certain point because I just couldn't figure them out and was like okay I might as well stop cause I'm not solving any of these anymore on my own

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
American cartoons weren’t good in the 80’s but there’s a lot of good rear end anime from that time. The original Mobile Suit Gundam came out in 1979!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Actually I'd probably say that before Standards and Practices got their claws into it, the Real Ghostbusters was pretty good for an 80's cartoon with some genuinely creepy episodes in that 'ideal age for Goosebumps' sort of way. Basically if you hear Lorenzo Music coming out of Venkman's mouth, you should be fine. J. Michael Straczynski as showrunner helped, too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It wasn't even Standards and Practices. It was a dumb consulting firm that ABC hired.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thetoughestbean posted:

American cartoons weren’t good in the 80’s but there’s a lot of good rear end anime from that time. The original Mobile Suit Gundam came out in 1979!

That was canceled before production finished and only became the juggernaut it is during reruns and a compilation movie. Obviously I'm happy it turned out that way but it could have just as easily fallen aside.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I weep for you americans that didn't have the good childrens television growing up like:

Ika i Rutan(80s):

Bamse(60s):

Agaton Sax(70s):

Mumintrollet(late 60s):

and Skrotnisse(80s):

This is high quality Swedish childrens TV.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

Actually I'd probably say that before Standards and Practices got their claws into it, the Real Ghostbusters was pretty good for an 80's cartoon with some genuinely creepy episodes in that 'ideal age for Goosebumps' sort of way. Basically if you hear Lorenzo Music coming out of Venkman's mouth, you should be fine. J. Michael Straczynski as showrunner helped, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC--JYLt_Ig

the sequel series had cenobites.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, Phelous had a really good look at both series and even went deep on to just what the changes that were forced on Real Ghostbusters. The biggest two I remember were "Peter has to be friends with Slimer now" and "Children are scared by pointy things so make Janine's glasses round."

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Day[9] started streaming on fuckin' Justin.tv. That's how long he's been around. He never got huge, but he's persistent and has a great attitude.

genuinely: what does getting huge mean? like, day[9] hit forbes 30 under 30, and his daily streams usually pull 5 digit viewer counts.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was a little squeamish as a kid and would occasionally get freaked out by the idea of the end of the world, which was a possible scenario in a couple of episodes. Even Superman’s origin story made me feel a little twinge of something. But I could definitely tell that Peter going on wacky misadventures with Slimer was Some Bullshit.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

thetoughestbean posted:

I still love the odd Japanese poo poo German TV was sometimes plastered with during the 80s. Stuff like Captain Future and Saber Rider was awesome! Though in hindsight it's a bit weird that Captain Future got this super-serious SF for adults dub while Saber Rider got the Bud Spencer treatment of trying to fit as many bad puns into the dub as inhumanly possible. But it granted us awesome lines like "Obelix, sei mit mir! / Obelix, be with me!", so I can't stay mad at the barrage of stupid poo poo hitting you in the face.

Also all the times villains are bragging about being invincible because if they get shot, they're just harmlessly beamed into their home, the Phantom Zone. I'm not entirely sure that was in the original Japanese, either. :allears:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Pretty much everyone but Jeff is leaving GiantBomb, huh?

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Giant Jeff

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LibrarianCroaker posted:

genuinely: what does getting huge mean? like, day[9] hit forbes 30 under 30, and his daily streams usually pull 5 digit viewer counts.

Probably like ninja numbers, someone you probably have heard of even if you never watch.

Day9 is cool. He used to be really cute, too. Time is a dick.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Portugal in the 1980's, 1990's had a good variety of stuff from all around (every broadcaster had it's own flavour of stuff to show), so depending on the broadcaster you honestly could pick and choose even on a basic tv package, and the proximity to Italy meant that a lot of really neat old japanese cartoons were added to the mix.

My long memory regarding this does mean I get to laugh at "Ah, RTP2 (the second public channel, where nearly every public service tv and miscellaneous stuff would broadcast) shouldn't exist, only snobs watch it" since for years that tv channel was the one that shown the weekly Simpsons episode.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The animation industry, as a whole, kind of took a dip in the late 60s-early 70s following the death of Walt Disney and the subsequent financial and production troubles the studio went through, with this bleeding into television animation as well (Seriously, the 70s were loving dire in terms of new kids' cartoons). The stuff being produced in the early 80s weren't good, but it marked a rapid uptick in the profitability of kids' cartoons that would eventually pave the way for actually enjoyable animated shows in the late 80s. Disney was, again, the company that really kickstarted the second renaissance of tv animation in the late 80s/early 90s with the success of the likes of Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck et al. We saw another major lull in the mid 2000s, as traditional animated features fell by the wayside in the theatre and executive interest in tv animation waned. While we got some absolutely phenomenal series in this period, like Avatar the Last Airbender, their broader influence on the industry wouldn't really be felt for a few more years, when production companies had the budget and courage to take bigger risks. 2010 marked another resurgence in quality kids' shows with the release and success of Adventure Time, which ended up kickstarting the careers of an entire generation of creators. I think we're now in sort of the tail-end of the post-Adventure Time animation boom, while I don't think we're necessarily going to be entering into another dark age of tv animation, we're going to need another Big Production to really kickstart things again.

Also, I remember watching Angela Anaconda a fair bit as a middle schooler and thinking it was alright, but in hindsight I can't get over Angela's really idiosyncratic speech patterns. Like, her roundabout way of speaking and insistence on refering to everyone by their full name was really odd.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

when was david the gnome, that was pretty good

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Free bit for any content creators: play this part then pause and cut to your face and say something like "Soooo, THAT happened...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbufNO_oGoE&t=646s

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

when was david the gnome, that was pretty good

1985-1986 if you were in the Iberian Peninsula, 1988 if you were American\Canadian.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

The Chad Jihad posted:

Free bit for any content creators: play this part then pause and cut to your face and say something like "Soooo, THAT happened...."

It's always weird to see the actual Nazis (funny I have to add "actual") in children's cartoons. It reminds me of that Veterans Day episode of "Hey Arnold," which was pretty good, I think

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
WTF, Noah Caldwell-Gervais dropped another multi-hour video on a beloved series of Star Wars games, this time KOTOR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2iOB8ydGo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
NCG is on a roll lately hot drat. Something to look forward to after work.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I don't watch much of his Magic the Gathering but I love it when Day9 plays a good puzzle game. I've seen him tackle The Witness, Myst, Riven, There Is No Game, Obduction and at various times due to various reasons partial playthroughs of Outer Wilds, Baba, and Talos Principle. I really want to see the Mostly Walking folks take on a game called Quern, I think it's a good fit for them and plays into a lot of the things they like.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Acerbatus posted:

Day9 is cool. He used to be really cute, too. Time is a dick.

hey alright

Terrible Opinions posted:

Punchy did it. Here's a thirty minute speedrun. Also has several hours word of twitch vods for doing the game normally.

this run is loving me up LMAO

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
anyway abandoning baba for your sanity is definitely the safe choice bc i finished it and well, look at me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr.Radar posted:

WTF, Noah Caldwell-Gervais dropped another multi-hour video on a beloved series of Star Wars games, this time KOTOR:

Hnnnnggggh

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mr.Radar posted:

This is a blessed May the 4th.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

Man, Life With Louie was completely my poo poo when I was growing up.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mr.Radar posted:

I don't think I ever heard a bad take from him. Several times, there were moments where I didn't agree with his analyses, but I could always at least understand how and why he reached his conclusion.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Terrible Opinions posted:

This is great, and it didn't even spoil anything because I don't have the slightest clue what the gently caress happened!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

e X posted:

I don't think I ever heard a bad take from him. Several times, there were moments where I didn't agree with his analyses, but I could always at least understand how and why he reached his conclusion.

He’s great and that video he put out last month where he beats himself up was kinda sad. The comments were heartwarming though. People love the dude.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Noah's not my bag at all but he seems like a very earnest dude who does what he does out of genuine love of what he's talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Noah sat down and presumably played through all of Clive Barker's Jericho so he's a better man than I.