Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

Eat more wild venison. It's the inferior alternative to introducing wolves, bears and lynx, but until then we need to eat them to keep their numbers in balance.

It's basically the Yellowstone Elk situation but with (a) the UK being poo poo compared to Yellowstone and (b) humans being poo poo compared to wolves, bears, and cougars.

Do you know where you can buy it? I just checked the Waitrose website and all the venison they sell is shipped from New Zealand which seems mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

As we're still on the subject...

multijoe's BiS meat-free meat guide:

Burger - Naked Glory quarter pounders. Very meaty texture, great smoky BBQ taste and half the price of a Beyond burger, both a great substitute and fairly affordable!

Sausage - Richmond meat free sausages or Quorn best of british. There are no great options in this category but these are both passable if you just have to make sausage and mash or something.

Chicken pieces - The Vegan Butcher's What The Cluck. Fantastic meaty texture and cooks well in sauces without disintergrating, a little salty and plain own its own but nearly indistinguishable as a chicken replacement in a spicy meal, have served numerous times to carnivores who couldn't tell the difference.

Mince - Vivera mince. Much the same as the What The Cluck chicken, a little plain but absolutely nails the texture and holds in consistency under prolonged cooking. Use in spicy meals that wouldn't normally be carried by the taste of the meat.

Bacon - This isn't Bacon. Surprisingly good, it doesn't quite nail the sweet-saltiness of real bacon but it's not a bad aproximation and has a good meaty bite to it.

Meatballs - Vegan Butcher's Unbelievaballs. Feel a little over-processed compared to fresh mince meatballs and not quite in the 'can barely tell the difference' category of the mince and chicken, but still pretty good overall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Your best bet would probably be either knowing someone who hunts or a farmer's market. But it's pretty expensive I think. Also tastes basically like liver so I would just eat liver.

New zealand is in a similar position to the UK re: deer as they aren't native to the islands and there are no natural large predators there either, so they have giant herds of the bastards running around the place. So it isn't too surprising that they export a lot of it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 4, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You can do a pretty nice bacon alternative with baked plantain skins and paprika and salt and maple syrup and whatnot. There's recipes out rhere

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

franco posted:

Are the Linda McCartney saussies a different recipe now? I haven't had them since I was vegetarian over a decade ago and they were really dry/mealy compared to other options at the time.

I think the Lincolnshire ones are new(ish) because one couldn't get GF Linda M's and then they came out and now one can. I don't find them dry or mealy.

This Is... fake bacon is pretty good too. And Moving Mountains hotdogs are also decent, So are the Quorn ones.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
One of the chaps who created This... is a friend of mine so I'm glad to see them getting some mention here. I've tried their bacon and chicken bites and they're both very good in my estimation.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My struggle with vegetarian is how much I miss all the cheap shite.

I don't crave a perfectly medium-rare top sirloin, but lord do I loving crave a Peperami.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maugrim posted:

One of the chaps who created This... is a friend of mine so I'm glad to see them getting some mention here. I've tried their bacon and chicken bites and they're both very good in my estimation.

The bacon is quite impressive, it's like bacon flavoured doner kebab.

Bloody expensive though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

multijoe posted:

As we're still on the subject...

multijoe's BiS meat-free meat guide:

Burger - Naked Glory quarter pounders. Very meaty texture, great smoky BBQ taste and half the price of a Beyond burger, both a great substitute and fairly affordable!

Sausage - Richmond meat free sausages or Quorn best of british. There are no great options in this category but these are both passable if you just have to make sausage and mash or something.

Chicken pieces - The Vegan Butcher's What The Cluck. Fantastic meaty texture and cooks well in sauces without disintergrating, a little salty and plain own its own but nearly indistinguishable as a chicken replacement in a spicy meal, have served numerous times to carnivores who couldn't tell the difference.

Mince - Vivera mince. Much the same as the What The Cluck chicken, a little plain but absolutely nails the texture and holds in consistency under prolonged cooking. Use in spicy meals that wouldn't normally be carried by the taste of the meat.

Bacon - This isn't Bacon. Surprisingly good, it doesn't quite nail the sweet-saltiness of real bacon but it's not a bad aproximation and has a good meaty bite to it.

Meatballs - Vegan Butcher's Unbelievaballs. Feel a little over-processed compared to fresh mince meatballs and not quite in the 'can barely tell the difference' category of the mince and chicken, but still pretty good overall.

All exceptionally strong shouts, I endorse this post.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

My struggle with vegetarian is how much I miss all the cheap shite.

I don't crave a perfectly medium-rare top sirloin, but lord do I loving crave a Peperami.

The last meat product I ate six and a bit years ago was a peperami, a few days after the birth of my daughter when I was sleep deprived and strung out and ran to the shop for something or other. Saw a peperami, bought it, ate it on the way home and felt very ashamed. Otherwise been vegetarian or vegan since about six months prior to that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/04/internal-polling-suggests-labour-heading-for-defeat-in-hartlepool-byelection

quote:

The mood among some Labour figures in Hartlepool was “pretty desperate”, sources said. Internal data from six weeks of campaigning shows that just over 40% of previous party supporters have said they will vote for the party again this week. The figure is what is known as a “promise rate” – who people say they will vote for – and is based on the canvassing of more than 10,000 people in the town, most of whom have recently voted Labour.

“If we were knocking on every single door and getting 40%, we could win it, depending on how it splits. But we’re only getting about 40% of people who we think are Labour, so it’s not great,” said one insider.

Labour’s ground campaign has been more visible than the Tories’ – Williams appears on billboards and posters throughout the town centre – but morale among some full-time activists has been subdued in part because many are being let go by the party after polling day.

It is understood that about 90 members of staff are due to leave the party after the elections. Most of those leaving are on two-year trainee contracts but they are the clipboard-carrying organisers that are crucial during election campaigns.

One Labour fixer said that about half of the Hartlepool ground team was due to leave following Thursday’s votes as a cost-saving measure. “It’s not great for morale,” she said. “We would’ve made money at party conference to pay for these elections but of course they were cancelled. We haven’t got the small donors that Corbyn brought and haven’t got the big donors that [Tony] Blair had. We’re trapped between the two worlds.”

Labour said it would not comment on staffing issues or canvassing data.

In the photo accompanying the article neither Starmer nor Williams is wearing a labour rosette.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I just got an election leaflet for the London elections from the SDP. How's life back there in 1985, grandpa :corsair:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

Do you know where you can buy it? I just checked the Waitrose website and all the venison they sell is shipped from New Zealand which seems mad.
There's a few country parks that sell it, but it's usually limited to selling to the immediate area.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/04/internal-polling-suggests-labour-heading-for-defeat-in-hartlepool-byelection

In the photo accompanying the article neither Starmer nor Williams is wearing a labour rosette.

Literally no way to blame this on Jeremy Corbyn. Not that they won’t try, I guess.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have been trying to cut down on meat. I have no issue with substitutions for cooked meals but all the stuff intended for sandwiches I find a bit rank. Something about their texture just doesn't work cold.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

Literally no way to blame this on Jeremy Corbyn. Not that they won’t try, I guess.

Wander into the comments section of any FT or Times article about Labour's lovely performance. Basically every post is about how it's because Starmer has given too much ground to the far left and not properly purged Momentum.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Noxville posted:

There's already some insaneonaut takes out there

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1389479176646836230

https://twitter.com/WillEatYourRich/status/1389122772836704257

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Has anyone had any experience with Acorn? Never heard of them and just had somebody ring the bell. They were perfectly pleasant and not that pushy (mainly questions about if there were issues in the area that I had problems with), but looking at their site afterwards it seems a bit...sketchy? Not sure if I'm being paranoid!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

peanut- posted:

Wander into the comments section of any FT or Times article about Labour's lovely performance. Basically every post is about how it's because Starmer has given too much ground to the far left and not properly purged Momentum.

The gulf between different people's perceptions can be fascinating. Take the BLM protests of last year, when Starmer was felt by the Left to have shown insufficient support to the movement, with his calling it a "moment" and doing that kneeling photo inside his office instead of out with the demonstrators.

I check the comments on more right wing websites quite a bit and when Starmer's name comes up, the BLM thing is mentioned surprisingly frequently, except these commentators felt the complete opposite - that he was disgustingly close to them and that taking the knee was some shameful act of surrender.

It's a funny example of Starmer trying to navigate the middle road and pleasing nobody.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

franco posted:

Has anyone had any experience with Acorn? Never heard of them and just had somebody ring the bell. They were perfectly pleasant and not that pushy (mainly questions about if there were issues in the area that I had problems with), but looking at their site afterwards it seems a bit...sketchy? Not sure if I'm being paranoid!

I'm in Acorn! They're completely genuine and just trying to help. They're mostly run by volunteers, so stuff like websites won't necessarily be very slick.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

On the way to work I passed a house that had a sign in the garden that read "Lib Dems Winning Here" so it's nice that the Lib Dems have won a garden.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am sure I remember acorn being talked about positively in the thread a while back.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm in Acorn! They're completely genuine and just trying to help. They're mostly run by volunteers, so stuff like websites won't necessarily be very slick.

Excellent, thank you! I couldn't really help much as my area is pretty decent so I didn't have much to offer!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
thought this was another green party leaflet at first

anyone else get anything like this?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

On the way to work I passed a house that had a sign in the garden that read "Lib Dems Winning Here" so it's nice that the Lib Dems have won a garden.

They won't be able to keep the squirrels out for long.

e: especially if they get support from Acorn :rimshot:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1389641012126044163?s=21

lol Byrne

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JoshHalliday/status/1389628163320393729?s=19

Maybe sacking the community organiser teams was a dumb idea

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

feedmegin posted:

I just got an election leaflet for the London elections from the SDP. How's life back there in 1985, grandpa :corsair:
Nowadays it's mostly populated by UKIP defectors & Rod Liddle :eng101:

PS solidarity Owlfancier, that's a loving dumb probe if ever I saw one

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Free Owlfancier.

Dumb probation but its a risky thread to post in.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I've officially not voted labour for the first time ever :confuoot:

i just spoilt my ballot because all the contests were uncompetitive and there were no decent third parties

almost voted for the council candidate because she seemed ok but she's absolutely going to lose, and the only miniscule effect of my vote will be adding onto the overall pile of labour votes which Keith will claim all love him, so I didnt

could possibly have voted green for the mayoral election but iirc GPEW are a bit poo poo and I'd already put a big cross through the ballot paper anyway so oh well

for some reason I went back and did my massive cross in black ink after I saw that instruction on the paper, I think I'm just very suggestible

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
"Dear Liam, I'm afraid there are no votes."

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Oh that blimmin' Corbyn, ruining things again for nice mister kieth

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

Free Owlfancier.

I can't see who's doing the probing on the Awful app, but I assume it's one of the many terrible mods enforcing a zero-tolerance approach to any criticism of liberalism/Biden.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

serious gaylord posted:

Free Owlfancier.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I can't see who's doing the probing on the Awful app, but I assume it's one of the many terrible mods enforcing a zero-tolerance approach to any criticism of liberalism/Biden.

Yeah I was just checking out what happened there too and lol I've rarely seen so ironic a probe reason. The mod is Herstory Begins Now, FI, I don't read US D&D threads so I don't know anything more about them.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I use the Awful app, you can see if you click on the header of the rap sheet entry. It was Herstory begins now, so yes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah that's an awful probe. I can't tell whether d&d is just overreacting to trolling from cspam and so seeing lots of the word 'liberals' and just freaking out, or if that mod truly thinks american liberals are an actual functional leftist force

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah I was just checking out what happened there too and lol I've rarely seen so ironic a probe reason. The mod is Herstory Begins Now, FI, I don't read US D&D threads so I don't know anything more about them.

That mod *really* doesn't like people being rude about liberals, which suggests they might have just awoken from a 15-year slumber and thinks the only people doing that on SA are the PRON HAUL lot.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

I use the Awful app, you can see if you click on the header of the rap sheet entry. It was Herstory begins now, so yes.

Ah right, cool, thanks.

I don't want to be too sour grapes about it - I've been probed many times for being a poo poo posting idiot clown. But I've also been probed and/or banned from US threads for the kind of posting that wouldn't raise an eyebrow here but is so against the orthodoxy of American politics that it can't be permitted. Weird vibe. For all that people complain about posters itt being reactionary leftie cranks chasing out wrongthinkers, it's miles better than the endless bitter sniping and politics-as-football ideology of the USPOL

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
that mod just probed someone else for suggesting libs are useless centrists who don't agree with evil but are very much against stopping it

I never really agreed with cspam about how bad d&d is, I remember when it was full of libertarians and their puppy avatars. But apparently centrism is back in a big way. Real 2010 vibe going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah that's an awful probe. I can't tell whether d&d is just overreacting to trolling from cspam and so seeing lots of the word 'liberals' and just freaking out, or if that mod truly thinks american liberals are an actual functional leftist force

Even if they genuinely think that, it still comes down to 'I don't agree with this effortpost' which is lovely regardless.