Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

that mod just probed someone else for suggesting libs are useless centrists who don't agree with evil but are very much against stopping it

lol, who'd have guessed that liberals were such a pathetic bunch of whiny cry-baby centrists?
Oh yeah, anyone who's ever interacted with them.

[edit]
15 is the number of times a liberal has to be told that they are - in fact - worth something, by their mummies before they can get out of bed in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

stev posted:

Even if they genuinely think that, it still comes down to 'I don't agree with this effortpost' which is lovely regardless.

Yeah it seems like they probably should have attempted to debate and/or discuss it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I can't see who's doing the probing on the Awful app, but I assume it's one of the many terrible mods enforcing a zero-tolerance approach to any criticism of liberalism/Biden.

What the gently caress? This is a thing that's happening on these here Something Awful Forums????

Also seconding Acorn, great org doing awesome community/renter's union stuff.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That mod *really* doesn't like people being rude about liberals, which suggests they might have just awoken from a 15-year slumber and thinks the only people doing that on SA are the PRON HAUL lot.

If you were a 2006 American liberal who fell into a coma, possibly after being shot by current US vice president Dick Cheney, I wonder what the biggest shock would be when you woke up today.

e: Other than your drat HOSPITAL BILL am I right?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 4, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I learnt a long time ago to never post in a D&D thread where there is an american mod and its stood me in good stead.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The Freep thread is still going? I'd have thought that website had been surpassed by Qanon.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Plucky little UKMT standing against the D&D mod horde

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Unjust sixer probations you say?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
We have a special relationship with the rest of DnD

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I am so confused by what day it is. The weekend was longer, bin day is wrong, there's a real possibility I'll forget to vote on Thusday. Not that it matters, you could put a blue rosette on a dead wasp and it would win.

Meat substitutes have come on in leaps and bounds thanks to the vegan fad, after years of being an afterthought. That being said, my vegan sibling booked a table at a pub having specifically asked if they had a vegan option. The 'vegan roast' was potato with other potato, and a tiny portion of brocolli, but no other veg because it wasn't vegan. It felt like spite because the chef didn't like vegan food. I don't miss meat, but I do sometimes see what looks like a lovely recipe but want a protein componant and cheese/mushroom/legumes aren't appropriate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

serious gaylord posted:

I learnt a long time ago to never post in a D&D thread where there is an american mod and its stood me in good stead.

I have bad news about my jurisdiction. :v:

I'd appreciate it if you fine folks would dial down the inter-thread drama a notch.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lady Demelza posted:

I am so confused by what day it is. The weekend was longer, bin day is wrong, there's a real possibility I'll forget to vote on Thusday. Not that it matters, you could put a blue rosette on a dead wasp and it would win.

Meat substitutes have come on in leaps and bounds thanks to the vegan fad, after years of being an afterthought. That being said, my vegan sibling booked a table at a pub having specifically asked if they had a vegan option. The 'vegan roast' was potato with other potato, and a tiny portion of brocolli, but no other veg because it wasn't vegan. It felt like spite because the chef didn't like vegan food. I don't miss meat, but I do sometimes see what looks like a lovely recipe but want a protein componant and cheese/mushroom/legumes aren't appropriate.

I've been vegetarian since 1994 roughly, and Im used to waiting 20 extra minutes for the 'vegetarian' option being defrosted and microwaved in places like pubs or such.
It went actually in my favor for my brothers wedding. The main course was meat or meat, and only like three of us opted for the veggie/vegan option, which we had to wait extra for as usual.
But they definitely spent more love making it as it was the most delicious thing I had. I shared it with those around me and they preferred my meal than their dry chicken and ham mass made meal.
It was a mushroom risotto in a green pasta , pea, and cheese, base.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd appreciate it if you fine folks would dial down the inter-thread drama a notch.

Look at clean shirt over here.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

well then why loving ask me, christ :argh:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I just realised Thursday is the first UK democratic exercise in about 5 years where I have no emotional stake in whatsoever to the point I might even forget to vote and will be voting symbolically rather than enthusiastically or even particularly strategically if I do.

It's a bit of a cold feeling really. I never joined Labour because I knew the limitations of the party at every point but it's a definitely loss not having the Corbyn movement at its head any more.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I have been getting a tonne of Labour ads on YouTube, including one that’s just ten minutes of Keith talking about his mum?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's no drama outside of that one idiot who went wading in from anyone that wasn't posting in that thread already. But more importantly It drew attention because Owlfancier is one of the most inoffensive posters in the forum and when I saw what they got probated for I just started laughing.

Sort out that mod making baffling decisions and it'll stop getting called out both here and by regular posters in that thread too.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Late to veganchat but the Richmond meat free sausages are loving amazing because they're identical in flavour, texture and cooking performance to the non-vegan ones. I suspect this is because richmond sausages are 90% rusk anyway but those and linda mccartney's mock hoisin duck made me much more hopeful that people can reduce meat intake without missing out on old favourites.

I eat meat about once a week on average now, but I'm increasingly catching myself thinking i'd not really miss the expense for quality stuff or the disappointment of cheap stuff.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

More meat replacement chat:
Tofu never seems to get mentioned much, but the “to-foo” brand tofu is pretty great. Good texture and the smoked one tastes great even on its own. That has pretty much replaced chicken breast for us as “generic protein” to put in stir fry etc. Tonight we roasted it with schwarma spices and had wraps, and I genuinely can’t see why I would have chicken over something like that anymore.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

serious gaylord posted:

There's no drama outside of that one idiot who went wading in from anyone that wasn't posting in that thread already. But more importantly It drew attention because Owlfancier is one of the most inoffensive posters in the forum and when I saw what they got probated for I just started laughing.

Sort out that mod making baffling decisions and it'll stop getting called out both here and by regular posters in that thread too.

- you're right about only the one person really causing problems at the time, I just wanted to head it off (and indeed checking their post history is the only reason I noticed the mild crossthread drama in the first place)
- the owlfancier probe was basically a misunderstanding / incorrect snap call and I have sorted that out with herstory

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 4, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

More meat replacement chat:
Tofu never seems to get mentioned much, but the “to-foo” brand tofu is pretty great. Good texture and the smoked one tastes great even on its own. That has pretty much replaced chicken breast for us as “generic protein” to put in stir fry etc. Tonight we roasted it with schwarma spices and had wraps, and I genuinely can’t see why I would have chicken over something like that anymore.

I had some in a Sri Lankan curry tonight.
There’s a good smoked tofu that works extremely well in a vegetarian kedgeree.

I always think that the brutality of the meat industry must dehumanise the people who work in it too. One must have to repress empathy and compassion to such a degree to tolerate that kind of work. Or so I imagine. Maybe I’m being naive/self-righteous (not quite the word I’m looking for a but close)/projecting.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I find Quorn gives me awful tummy ache if I eat it on consecutive days. This is unfortunate as I live alone and often have the same evening meal for 3 days in a row. It took a couple of times to make the connection that Quorn was the cause of the misery. I know that other meat-free stuff isn't fungi-based and isn't likely to cause the same problem, but it makes me wary all the same.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Why did the tofu cross the road?

To prove it wasn’t chicken! :dadjoke:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

I find Quorn gives me awful tummy ache if I eat it on consecutive days. This is unfortunate as I live alone and often have the same evening meal for 3 days in a row. It took a couple of times to make the connection that Quorn was the cause of the misery. I know that other meat-free stuff isn't fungi-based and isn't likely to cause the same problem, but it makes me wary all the same.

I'm very allergic to Quorn. It can cause anaphylaxis. If you start googling it's scary.
I ate it a couple of times without a problem, the third time I ate it (at an interval of some months so not like I ate it 3 days on the tro), I woke up in the night covered from head to toe in what looked like mosquito bites (hives? I missed the lesson at school when we learned these kind of words) and felt really unwell.
A couple of years ago, my brother brought a quorn shepherd's pie over that he had prepared for a 'dinner party' that was abandoned because someone's kid was rushed to hospital, and mum thought it was meat and piled a load on my plate and fortunately my brother remembered I can't eat it before I did!

A simple article on it. More scientific articles are available if you consult Professor Google.

https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/ingredients-concern/quorn

I also feel sick after pot noodles otherwise they would be almost my idea of perfect food - no cooking beyond boiling the kettle, portion controlled, long-life, no fuss (I hate food fuss), can live in the cupboards without calling my name all night until they get eaten. Not sure what they have in them that causes that.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 4, 2021

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/darshnasoni/status/1389542738400620549

Jesus. I knew something was up when the CPS went straight to a murder charge for something that it seemed like they could have easily swept under the carpet as the old "excited delirium", but when even the police pathologist is saying "Yeah there's actual boot impressions in his head" it's a bit hard to claim the usual "difficult situation, immense stress, mistakes were made and lessons will be learned" bullshit.
Not just his boot even, it was his bootlaces. How hard to you have to kick someone to leave an imprint of your laces on them? loving hell.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

food opinions

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

its also just absolutely mediocre. Like dont be a vegetarian and then just settle for quorn. jesus, it not an excuse to not even try.

not aimed at you obviously.

The quorn nugs are better than chicken nugs

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- you're right about only the one person really causing problems at the time, I just wanted to head it off (and indeed checking their post history is the only reason I noticed the mild crossthread drama in the first place)
- the owlfancier probe was basically a misunderstanding / incorrect snap call and I have sorted that out with herstory

Maybe someone who makes that sort of bad snap decision shouldn't be moderating a politics forum

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Quorn isn't really aimed at vegetarians, it's aimed at people who eat meat but maybe want to go from 7 times a week to 4-5 times a week or something. So the idea is you can just treat it like the meat in your meal and it'll be inoffensive and absorb whatever sauce or spice flavours you're using. I guess all the much better meat replacements that the increased awareness and popularity of meat-free diets in the last decade or two have brought (and also the mycoprotein patent lapsing) have made it look pretty crummy by comparison today though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

The quorn nugs are better than chicken nugs

partridge shrug

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just come across this guy: Tadhg Hickey.
Seems to have done some good 'allegory' videos on various political situations involving Britain.
This one is "The British Empire, but it's a school reunion in Cork"

I think you can watch it without a facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=825234614818764

I don't know anything else about him so if the Grey Beards ITT advise me he's a good guy or a melt or something, I shan't be at all surprised.
The couple of vids i watched seem good though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Owlfancier is one of the most inoffensive posters in the forum

This I think is slander to both me and inoffensive posters. But you are kind to say it regardless :v:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would appreciate if at some point, when you have the time, you might deign to sort it out with me also as I would hate to think that my meanings are somehow unclear when I post.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's awfully proactive of Starmer to effectively admit defeat 2 days before the elections actually happen :)

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Is anyone able to advise on a decent bike for me to buy via my works cycle to work scheme? I don't want anything fancy at all, just something I can go to the shops on, with maybe the occasional longer distance country ride. Comfy and reliable is what I'm after.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, it's just that the UKMT hive mind knows everything.

thebikeproject.co.uk is the best place. avoid halfords, evans and other unethical giants that treat their employees terribly

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's awfully proactive of Starmer to effectively admit defeat 2 days before the elections actually happen :)

It does seem a bit like they've run out the white flag already.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This must be the expectation management I have heard so much about.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's another brilliant move from the Sensible leader: ensuring a depressed turnout by telling your voters that there's no point and you've already lost. Genius, in fact.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah my wife did some looking up yesterday as to why you can't get Quorn in Canada and apparently it's because in order to market yourself as a meat substitute in Canada you have to meet certain nutritional values (think it might be the macros) which Quorn apparently doesn't, and they're not interested in changing their product.

That's not to say Quorn is a *bad* product, I used to love it. Great way to get cheap and easy protein into meals, particularly the "chicken" cube pieces - excellent in stir-fries and the like. There's no equivalent here at all. You can get breaded nuggets of similar stuff, but nothing designed to be used as an ingredient in something else in the same way.

Anyway another thing she uncovered reading that, is that 4x as many people are allergic to the proteins in it than are allergic to peanuts, which I didn't know, and is pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It looks like that mod went for their buttons because they either didn't read the post properly or simply had their ideology challenged and didn't like it.

I'm not sure which one is better tbh.