Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Hi LP goons.

I was looking for some KOTOR 1 LPs and discovered all the Darth Ronson's Video LPs have been lost.
Those are really old threads. Sometime around that time the Waffleimages fuckup happened and you can safely classify 99% of poo poo hosted on it as lost forever.

This is not news and generally threads finished years ago are very likely to have massive holes, if not lost entirely, simply due to hosting sites changing or going belly-up unless backed up on LPArchive or actively preserved in a different way.

(and it reminds me how much I should appreciate LPArchive. Baldurk, if you're reading this, you're doing a great job with that site!)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Pierzak posted:

Those are really old threads. Sometime around that time the Waffleimages fuckup happened and you can safely classify 99% of poo poo hosted on it as lost forever.

This is not news and generally threads finished years ago are very likely to have massive holes, if not lost entirely, simply due to hosting sites changing or going belly-up unless backed up on LPArchive or actively preserved in a different way.

(and it reminds me how much I should appreciate LPArchive. Baldurk, if you're reading this, you're doing a great job with that site!)

I understand a lot of images were lost when Waffleimages went under. I'm more concerned with the loss of videos that were hosted on Youtube and elsewhere.

For example GMArcturus' more recent LPs of KOTOR1&2 and the entire Kingdom Hearts series that were uploaded to Youtube:

Gone and there's nothing LPArchive can do sadly. I'd like to know if I'm suppose to email Baldurk about this and he'll remove them from LPArchive or if lost VLPs are simply kept on the Master List.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
When it comes to Youtube, if videos aren't available anymore it's either done to the user making them unavailable on purpose or Youtube has deleted the videos and\or the account for a reason. There have been a large number of LP's lost on these forums because the LP'er decided to delete their Youtube account for various reasons.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

When it comes to Youtube, if videos aren't available anymore it's either done to the user making them unavailable on purpose or Youtube has deleted the videos and\or the account for a reason. There have been a large number of LP's lost on these forums because the LP'er decided to delete their Youtube account for various reasons.
It does usually tell you which of those it is, though. There's supposed to be different error messages for "deleted by the user", "deleted for violating the ToS" and "deleted because the account was banned". If it's really just saying "video unavailable", that's a little odd.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Been thinking about doing an LP for a long while, and for whatever reason, the urge has struck hard enough to finally make things happen with something simpler. I realized most of the way through construction that the images so far are jpgs instead of pngs, something I plan to fix in future updates when it doesn't require basically a full reconstruction, but I'd generally appreciate some feedback on this test.

Tricks and Treats: Let's Play Pokemon Pumpkin

What’s all this, then?

Pokemon Pumpkin is a Pokemon RPG Maker XP fangame by Ekat, originally released in October of 2018 before being remade and rereleased a year later in 2019 as Pokemon Pumpkin Redux. (We’ll be playing Redux as it’s just a straight improvement in every way, but just calling it Pumpkin.) As you might be able to tell from the name and release window, it’s a Halloween themed game, and definitely has some of its own flavor. Here’s how the listing for the game explains itself:

quote:

The game takes place over a single day, October 31st. Being the sugar-starved child that you are, you convince your overprotective sister to let you set out on a trick-or-treating adventure across the region. Her only condition? (Beyond staying on the path, not seeking out serial killers, and looking both ways before crossing the street.) Be home before midnight. Collect candy, make some unlikely friends, and solve a few mysteries along the way!

Features:
  • A trick-or-treating system
  • An informal candy economy: trade your sweets for certain Pokémon, helpful items, and other useful supplies
  • A major trainer battle and encounter overhaul to increase difficulty
  • Around 8 to 16 hours of gameplay
  • A murder-mystery-solving segment
  • A walkthrough for the aforementioned murder-mystery segment, should that not be your jam
  • Pokémon from up to gen 7
  • The plot twist is probably not that you were a real ghost the entire time
  • There's uh, probably some semblance of writing in this somewhere

So why are you doing this?

Well, I’ve actually played it myself already. This isn’t any relatively blind run. The estimated time it provides is fairly accurate; it’s a self-contained story of one Halloween night in an original small bit of the Pokemon world. There’s adventure, but it’s an easily consumable one that you can get through in a couple of days. And while it’s by no means perfect, it’s actually rather good! An enjoyable romp that blends humor, atmosphere, and occasional real spookiness.

It’s not exactly well known, though, even in the Pokemon fangame community. There’s barely anything about it on YouTube, and googling it is going to turn up a couple relevant results before transforming entirely into how-to guides to carve Pikachu jack-o-lanterns. So I figure someone ought to show it off.

Okay, but why now? You’re starting this in spring and it’s a Halloween game.

We’re right on the opposite end of the year from Halloween and someone needs to keep the holiday spirit burning. Besides, look at the world. Time is meaningless.

Audience Participation?
There’ll be some! For naming purposes and team members, largely. It’s still a Pokemon game at heart, y’all know the drill. Speaking of which, this will very much assume familiarity with the Pokemon franchise.

Spoilers?
I’ll be honest, I expect very few people here to know much about this game in the first place. But in case you do and we’ve bumped into each other, if you can’t resist the urge to not chatter about details, stick talk about anything we haven’t seen yet behind tags, please.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updates:

Update 1: This Is Your Story

Jadecore fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 30, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It looks really nice! You have one broken img tag - "[imghttps://lpix.org/4009851/image072.jpg[/img]" - but the game looks interesting, and I like your commentary.

Looking forward to your thread! :justpost:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

OhFunny posted:

I understand a lot of images were lost when Waffleimages went under. I'm more concerned with the loss of videos that were hosted on Youtube and elsewhere.

For example GMArcturus' more recent LPs of KOTOR1&2 and the entire Kingdom Hearts series that were uploaded to Youtube:

Gone and there's nothing LPArchive can do sadly. I'd like to know if I'm suppose to email Baldurk about this and he'll remove them from LPArchive or if lost VLPs are simply kept on the Master List.

FractalSandwich posted:

It does usually tell you which of those it is, though. There's supposed to be different error messages for "deleted by the user", "deleted for violating the ToS" and "deleted because the account was banned". If it's really just saying "video unavailable", that's a little odd.

Well, it's a pretty safe bet that the channel was deleted in this specific case. I can't remember the specifics but Arcturus did delete their whole channel a while back. As someone who guested in some of those videos, trust me, you ain't missing much.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FractalSandwich posted:

If it's really just saying "video unavailable", that's a little odd.
Nope, that's a very frequent occurrence. Annoying, because sometimes you follow a link and aren't even presented with a video title, so you have no idea what the link was meant to say.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Nope, that's a very frequent occurrence. Annoying, because sometimes you follow a link and aren't even presented with a video title, so you have no idea what the link was meant to say.
I've had luck Googling the video ID. Sometimes it turns up other references to the missing video with the title or other identifying features intact. It's especially nice when something old on my Favorites playlist suddenly evaporates and I want to know if it's worth trying to track it down elsewhere (or even possible to do so).

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Need some advice on what I should do about VR screenshots.

I recorded some footage for a PSVR title that I'm testing for an SSLP, but I'm not sure if I should crop the screenshots to remove the slight fisheye lens on the edges or just leave them as is in order to retain more of the peripheral vision.

This is what the shot looks like when I crop out the sides to reduce the lens effect:

And this is the raw screenshot without any cropping:

You can see more to the left and right in the uncropped shot, but I'm not sure if that's enough to outweigh the slightly distracting curved corners.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
If the 1st person perspective is important, I'd live the shots uncropped. It may not give a realistic view, but its distortion is similar enough to the one on Go Pros and other similar cams to give you a sense of being in the scene.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

That Italian Guy posted:

If the 1st person perspective is important, I'd live the shots uncropped. It may not give a realistic view, but its distortion is similar enough to the one on Go Pros and other similar cams to give you a sense of being in the scene.

That's part of why I'm unsure. This is a visual novel that claims to be built from the ground up for VR, but (so far) it doesn't really do much with the Virtual Reality part.

But if I crop the screenshots to make it look more like a standard Visual Novel, then I'm kind of leaving out one of the game's main selling points.

Thanks for the input. I'll need to stew on it a bit more to decide if the perspective is really that important to the game experience.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're doing a full playthrough of the game before you start the LP, you don't have to decide until you've finished the game.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I don't know any specifics but also try to look into whether there's any fish eye distortion removal tools because I'm certain they should exist; should move most of the distortion to where the black corners are

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

If you're doing a full playthrough of the game before you start the LP, you don't have to decide until you've finished the game.

I don't usually record a complete playthrough before doing the LP, because then I can't implement any changes people suggest as the LP is running. There are also some choices in this game that I'd like to leave to the thread if it turns out they have an impact on endings and such.

Jewel posted:

I don't know any specifics but also try to look into whether there's any fish eye distortion removal tools because I'm certain they should exist; should move most of the distortion to where the black corners are

Thanks. I did a quick search and there do appear to be tools that remove fisheye. My only concern is doing that in a batch. It would tack on quite a bit of work and time if I had to do each image individually.

After some feedback, I think what I might do is hold off a bit and look into finally getting a capture card. I think this fisheye thing (and the slight tilt in the screenshots) is a result of the PS5 recording 1 lens of the VR headset. This might be an LP better served by using an external capture card rather than the internal one.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It's not perfect, but you could also use Lens Correction in Photoshop on your screenshots.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Far as I understand with PSVR there's no built-in way to record the projected view, even though the PS actually displays it if you mirror to a TV. An external card capturing the social view would definitely be a better solution, if you don't mind the effort and expense.

You can try to apply a pincushion effect to the recording, which is the opposite of the barrel distortion applied by PSVR. I expect most video and photo editing software should have it somewhere (effects > lens distortion > negative curvature in premiere, various defish and debarrel plugins for avisynth, etc). It'll be a little wrong and you'll still need to crop the edges after if the software doesn't, but that's kind of the nature of the beast.

I was able to find someone who had reverse-engineered the entire PSVR transform so technically you can invert that and get something exact-ish, including correcting for the chromatic aberration PSVR introduces. This seems like a lot of work, but if you're familiar with the subject and are looking for a nice programming project for a day or two then it's an option I guess.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Jamesman posted:

It's not perfect, but you could also use Lens Correction in Photoshop on your screenshots.

That does look better, though. At the very least it combines the corner removal with the wider viewing range.

I'll have to check GIMP for that tool. I don't have Photoshop.

Xerophyte posted:

Far as I understand with PSVR there's no built-in way to record the projected view, even though the PS actually displays it if you mirror to a TV. An external card capturing the social view would definitely be a better solution, if you don't mind the effort and expense.

I was able to find someone who had reverse-engineered the entire PSVR transform so technically you can invert that and get something exact-ish, including correcting for the chromatic aberration PSVR introduces. This seems like a lot of work, but if you're familiar with the subject and are looking for a nice programming project for a day or two then it's an option I guess.

The external card may be what I have to settle on if I ever want to follow through on this idea (or any other VR game). I have been waffling on getting one for a long time now, mainly because it would likely end up used for some experimenting with video LPs and not much beyond that. elgatos are like $220CAD, which is a bit too expensive for somebody who has no intention of streaming or doing regular video LPs.

As for that other part, I am in no way familiar enough with the subject to reverse-engineer any sort of video or photo effects.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
GIMP likewise has a lens distortion filter so that should also work. With their parameterization I expect you want main to be negative, zoom to be slightly positive and no shift.

If you can get PSVR to render a test grid or at least something with a lot of lines that should be straight then that should help with dialing in the settings.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Consider that editing every single screnshot of a sslp could be daunting. You mentioned doing it in batches, consider also creating a repeatable action (not sure what they would be called in GIMP) so that the file gets automagically "corrected" before moving to the next one.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That Italian Guy posted:

Consider that editing every single screnshot of a sslp could be daunting. You mentioned doing it in batches, consider also creating a repeatable action (not sure what they would be called in GIMP) so that the file gets automagically "corrected" before moving to the next one.

GIMP has a batch processing functionality, but you need to write your batch processing functions in Python. Still, it's remarkably powerful.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Did I hallucinate former goons Chip and Ironicus showing off PT at some point or was it some other duo?

edit: confirmed via twitter i hallucinated that chip did this—- not sure who i’m thinking of

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 3, 2021

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

star eater posted:

Did I hallucinate former goons Chip and Ironicus showing off PT at some point or was it some other duo?

edit: confirmed via twitter i hallucinated that chip did this—- not sure who i’m thinking of

Maybe Bobvids or The Grate Debate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5xr5R75M6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfqUjTyb4sw

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 4, 2021

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
if I remember the video I'm thinking of it was specifically 2 people only, unless I'm misremembering, which isn't outta the realm of possibility. Thanks for these! I just mostly wanted to show the game to my partner without delving into screaming YouTubers

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

star eater posted:

Did I hallucinate former goons Chip and Ironicus
Is there a particular reason they're not back?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it was a result of one of Lowtax's meltdowns a few years ago.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Is there a particular reason they're not back?

most of the people that lowtax melted down on over the years haven't returned, some of them probably because they're still banned! i'm pretty sure chip and ironicus left in solidarity with psychedelic eyeball and afaik psych has not been unbanned nor have a bunch of lowtax's bans been overturned

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I know for certain Eyeball, Void and Judge Reinhold had their bans overturned. I'm pretty sure anyone who was banned by lowtax and hasn't been unbanned is one QCS thread away from getting the ban removed

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 4, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Leal posted:

I know for certain Eyeball, Void and Judge Reinhold had their bans overturned.

great, glad to hear it!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jazerus posted:

most of the people that lowtax melted down on over the years haven't returned, some of them probably because they're still banned! i'm pretty sure chip and ironicus left in solidarity with psychedelic eyeball and afaik psych has not been unbanned nor have a bunch of lowtax's bans been overturned

They left in solidarity with Chip's girlfriend, VoidBurger. They're still active on Youtube and have a Patreon.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leal posted:

I know for certain Eyeball, Void and Judge Reinhold had their bans overturned. I'm pretty sure anyone who was banned by lowtax and hasn't been unbanned is one QCS thread away from getting the ban removed

Can confirm. They've been overturned.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

It is also very possible that they no longer have any interest in SA or forums in general.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Combat Lobster posted:

It is also very possible that they no longer have any interest in SA or forums in general.

VoidBurger came back immediately after her ban was lifted, but I don't know if she's still posting here.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Combat Lobster posted:

Chip asked if the forums got better after lowtax got lowblowed and then never talked about it again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I think C&I retained a large enough following that they're probably fine as they are on YouTube and Patreon.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water. And we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach.
Question: I started up a Let's Race thread back in October, and I think I jumped the gun a bit in doing so because since making it, I've just been getting no replies on the thread. I've been out of the loop with the forums for about 4 - 5 years, and even then I wasn't much active (had like a crappy Sonic Adventure 2 LP before writing a banme during the Lowtax meltdown). I kinda just made the thread on a whim with another goon named ManicX to try to promote video game racing again and didn't post the thread in the new LP Thread. I feel like that might of relegated the thread from being buried into obscurity. I'm just wondering if there is any advice I could get to salvage my trashfire of a thread or if I'm better off starting over.

The thread was called Let's Race Version 3.0: The Next Generation (which in retrospect was just an awful name)

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 6, 2021

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sprasshu posted:

Question: I started up a Let's Race thread back in October, and I think I jumped the gun a bit in doing so because since making it, I've just been getting no replies on the thread. I've been out of the loop with the forums for about 4 - 5 years, and even then I wasn't much active (had like a crappy Sonic Adventure 2 LP before writing a banme during the Lowtax meltdown). I kinda just made the thread on a whim with another goon named ManicX to try to promote video game racing again and didn't post the thread in the new LP Thread. I feel like that might of relegated the thread from being buried into obscurity. I'm just wondering if there is any advice I could get to salvage my trashfire of a thread or if I'm better off starting over.

The thread was called Let's Race Version 3.0: The Next Generation (which in retrospect was just an awful name)

I can't help you directly and hopefully others have better advice, but...

Game racing is often something enjoyed by video game Speedrunners. In fact, Speedrunning marathons such as Games Done Quick often have race events as well. Have you tried advertising your thread in the Speedrunning Thread over in the general Games forum? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846780. They also have their own Discord (linked in the OP) which is a decent place to reach people for scheduling a race or something.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water. And we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I can't help you directly and hopefully others have better advice, but...

Game racing is often something enjoyed by video game Speedrunners. In fact, Speedrunning marathons such as Games Done Quick often have race events as well. Have you tried advertising your thread in the Speedrunning Thread over in the general Games forum? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846780. They also have their own Discord (linked in the OP) which is a decent place to reach people for scheduling a race or something.

Speedrunners were never my intended demographic. I always promoted this as being fun, casual races, like the racing threads of old. Being good at the games was never the goal. So answer your question, no, I didn't promote or have intention to promote my Let's Race thread to the speedrunning community.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sprasshu posted:

Speedrunners were never my intended demographic. I always promoted this as being fun, casual races, like the racing threads of old. Being good at the games was never the goal. So answer your question, no, I didn't promote or have intention to promote my Let's Race thread to the speedrunning community.

I would wager that a lot of the folks following the speedrunning threads are fans of watching speedruns, not necessarily speedrunners themselves. You could bill your thread as a low-stakes way to dip their toes in the water with other scrubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Double edit: I found a working rom of Pokémon Pyrite!

Would there be any interest in a screenshot let’s play of the Crystal Romhack “Pokemon Pyrite?” It’s a hack intended to be more challenging/difficult while still being fair and imposing extra rules on the player. The standout rules I remember are only Set battle type, no healing items in battle aside from held items, and when you enter a gym you can’t leave unless all your Pokémon faint or you beat the gym. There a bunch of other changes, and I played this hack once before years ago but I don’t really remember any of the other stuff so I’ll be going in mostly blind.

If there’s interest, help me pick (and name) my starter!
A) Cyndaquil
B) Totodile
C) Chikorita

Cant Ride A Bus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 7, 2021