Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

new post alert https://world.hey.com/jason/an-update-303f2f99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I just want to say that we once got a support request for a user with a name like "ryu cockasucka" and we're convinced we were being pranked until we looked it up in the corporate directory and there is no way you're not gonna laugh when something like that happens

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
when I was a telemarketer i had to call this guy and you better believe me and everyone around me had a solid chuckle

https://www.linkedin.com/in/hunt-ramsbottom-137293a/

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s fun to laugh at funny names, it’s dumb to keep a list of your customers’ names for the sole purpose of laughing at. this is a pretty basic respect thing, hope this helps dhh

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my name in gaelic/old english means Crooked-Nose Fox. that’s funny!!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gentle Autist posted:

my name in gaelic/old english means Crooked-Nose Fox. that’s funny!!!

you're named after your mother?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

pleasant collection of words from Jason, but a simple "mea culpa" is the easy part, the hard part will be dealing with a situation in which 1) you've lost 30% of your headcount almost overnight, 2) you did so in a way that likely reinforces any preexisting cultural problems among the remaining employees, and 3) your recruiting pipeline is now going to self-select along those lines because you did all this in the most embarrassingly public way possible. Good luck Jase, y'all are noted management experts, I'm sure you'll get this under control

Gentle Autist posted:

it’s fun to laugh at funny names, it’s dumb to keep a list of your customers’ names for the sole purpose of laughing at. this is a pretty basic respect thing, hope this helps dhh

:hmmyes:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Blotto_Otter posted:

pleasant collection of words from Jason, but a simple "mea culpa" is the easy part, the hard part will be dealing with a situation in which 1) you've lost 30% of your headcount almost overnight, 2) you did so in a way that likely reinforces any preexisting cultural problems among the remaining employees, and 3) your recruiting pipeline is now going to self-select along those lines because you did all this in the most embarrassingly public way possible. Good luck Jase, y'all are noted management experts, I'm sure you'll get this under control

the most important takeaway to me is that they didn't fire the nazi

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

I thought he resigned?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

point still holds. nazis should get fired

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mystes posted:

I thought he resigned?

guess which of those actions you dont have to explain to your next employer

altho i guess if you are high enough up it doesnt matter anymore

mystes
May 31, 2006

duz posted:

Why would he have to explain it in either case when he's been publicly established as a good american who just doesn't want politics at work, unlike the anarchist woke anti-white racists who were out to smear him?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

they "suspended" him "pending an investigation" then he resigned

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

refleks posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
20 departures out of 57 employees is actually 35% lmao

i suppose jason deserves some slight credit for acknowledging that the First Law Of Holes ("when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging") was in effect for him. as bland as his statement was, unlike all of their comms up until this point, it at least didnt make things worse

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
"we hosed up!" with no elaboration on how they hosed up, what decisions are being reversed or reconsidered. really the entire post can be translated as "sorry you got mad"

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

"we hosed up!" with no elaboration on how they hosed up, what decisions are being reversed or reconsidered. really the entire post can be translated as "sorry you got mad"

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

look, just because I'm way into reading white supremacy rag Breitbart doesn't make me a nazi

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

refleks posted:

yeah, if I were a basecamp employee, my takeaway would've been that the nazi didn't get fired for being a nazi, he got fired "resigned" only because so many people got upset at having to work for the nazi that jason/dhh's company valuation got threatened. that probably seems like a distinction without a difference to jason/dhh, and that is indicative of the problem that was obvious to at least 35% of their workforce.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

FMguru posted:

i suppose jason deserves some slight credit for acknowledging that the First Law Of Holes ("when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging") was in effect for him. as bland as his statement was, unlike all of their comms up until this point, it at least didnt make things worse

it's only 20 public departures. casey newton reported it's higher than that. apparently the buyout is still open so more people will probably leave once they talk to a few recruiters and realize they got better options

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

nah, no credit for that, any kind of bland non-meltdown response at any of 20 points before this would have left this as a fully unknown non-issue.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

get this:

jason fried? more like

jason................

..........fired!!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

get this:

jason fried? more like

jason................

..........fired!!!!

:monocle:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

they "suspended" him "pending an investigation" then he resigned

only after blowing up their whole company by defending him

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

duz posted:

altho i guess if you are high enough up it doesnt matter anymore

neither in california. they can only verify the dates you worked there

not that it matters when everyone already knows the circumstances of your departure

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Blotto_Otter posted:

pleasant collection of words from Jason, but a simple "mea culpa" is the easy part, …

And yet…

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I remembered that john gruber is a friend of basecamp so I wondered if he'd posted anything, and all I found was this cowardice https://daringfireball.net/linked/2021/04/27/ride-out-the-storm

not that I'd ever expect john gruber to take a useful position on anything, but lol

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

I remembered that john gruber is a friend of basecamp so I wondered if he'd posted anything, and all I found was this cowardice https://daringfireball.net/linked/2021/04/27/ride-out-the-storm

not that I'd ever expect john gruber to take a useful position on anything, but lol

lmao @ john fireball vagueposting support for basecamp's ongoing meltdown(/reckoning?) with an excerpt of their own book

best place to RIDE OUT THE STORM is opening an all-hands meeting from your bed and then cutting your camera+mic for the next several hours

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Grace Baiting posted:

lmao @ john fireball vagueposting support for basecamp's ongoing meltdown(/reckoning?) with an excerpt of their own book

best place to RIDE OUT THE STORM is opening an all-hands meeting from your bed and then cutting your camera+mic for the next several hours

I generally enjoy takes from both john fireball and pinboard guy, but in this instance I am not surprised that people who have been working on their own for more than a decade, with no coworkers, bosses, or employees to manage, have a pretty big blindspot on this issue and are offering up lovely takes as a result

Anyway, this next thing has nothing to do with basecamp directly, but it is very much the spiritual sequel to basecamp's meltdown, so I feel this is the most appropriate place to post it. Short version of the story: yesterday, the CEO of Washingtonian magazine (a Washington DC-area monthly) wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post bemoaning "erosion of office culture with more remote work", in which she not-so-subtly threatened all of her employees with stripping them of benefits by illegally reclassifying their employment status if they don't come back into the office to awkwardly stand around as someone hands out slices of stale birthday cake

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1390505948712783885

In response, the entire editorial staff of the magazine are tweeting out a statement and refusing to publish today:

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1390655605707321344

Weird couple of weeks for CEOs taking their perfectly good company and deciding to publicly light it on fire in just one post!

edit: lol here's the second-best bit, nothing like closing out your public admonishment of your own workforce with a thinly-veiled threat to fire the employees who don't spend the most time in the office kissing the boss' rear end. Also, apparently the original headline was "As a CEO, I want my employees to understand the risks of not returning to work in the office", it was only changed to the still-bad but maybe less legally-actionable "erosion of office culture" one after someone realized the original headline made the threats a little too explicit

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1390502637934497795

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 7, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagine the huge loss in productivity when people aren't in the office throwing birthday parties for each other!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

executive ego gratification should be an "extra" task but to most executives it's a core function of the business and if she wants to watch her employees scuttle around like a personal ant farm because it makes her feel good by god she's going to make it happen

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

executive ego gratification should be an "extra" task but to most executives it's a the core function of the business

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

As gross as that sentiment and article are its probably a good thing it was posted, because its just saying the quiet parts out loud. Whats to stop FAANGs from paying top tier wages for people living in tech meccas when they don't sit around annoying each other in their tech mecca open offices all day; I might as well pay you a fraction of your current salary and you move back home.

They were already collecting info on who was working from different states/countries last year, ostensibly for tax reasons, but also I'm sure because if any of those arrangements became long term, they're going to come with "cost of living adjustments".

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 7, 2021

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the faangs are saying that out loud too. they have generally been open that people who go full remote and move out of sf bay area will get pay cuts

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

qirex posted:

executive ego gratification should be an "extra" task but to most executives it's a core function of the business and if she wants to watch her employees scuttle around like a personal ant farm because it makes her feel good by god she's going to make it happen

I very briefly worked at GE and caught an elevator with my bosses bosses boss and one of his sycophants. During the ride the sycophant asked how the floor move was going, which had us office drones sitting shoulder to shoulder on floor 16 while they were remodeling things upstairs (to a nomadic desk structure, I was told).

Mega boss replied "oh its going great, they're a bunch of busy little bees down there" and it was so gross and demeaning.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

the faangs are saying that out loud too. they have generally been open that people who go full remote and move out of sf bay area will get pay cuts

Sure I'm just saying that bosses writing articles about how gross they are is a good thing, instead of being gross in private

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Blotto_Otter posted:

IAlso, apparently the original headline was "As a CEO, I want my employees to understand the risks of not returning to work in the office", it was only changed to the still-bad but maybe less legally-actionable "erosion of office culture" one after someone realized the original headline made the threats a little too explicit

quote:

As a:

CEO

I want:

My employees to understand the risks of not returning to work in the office

So that:

They understand they exist to provide me a return on capital

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
I mean it makes sense why the CEOs would be like that, their whole job is hanging around with other C-whatever-Os and investors talking bullshit, so their main concerns are always aesthetics. Especially with "tech companies" that don't do any real business or make any money.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ceos can have little a ego gratification, as a treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
it's also the newspaper/magazine industry. it's a lovely unprofitable business and there's multiple examples of rich assholes deciding to run a publication as a lifestyle thing.