Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

remember dhh and jason fried? authors of various books, including a bestseller, on how you can simply not be lovely to employees and be a better company for it?

well, they've decided that sucks and have substantially changed policy: https://world.hey.com/jason/changes-at-basecamp-7f32afc5

apparently because they keep a list of customer names to mock or something: https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/27/22406673/basecamp-political-speech-policy-controversy

predictably, there has been a massive amount of backlash. theyre offering buyouts to all employees who dont like the new direction and at current count, a third of the company is bailing: https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1388212468510380034

theyre trying to post through it (e.g. https://twitter.com/dhh/status/1386773744484552715) but overall this has really been an outstanding heel turn imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op I have no idea who any of these people are. regardless, who should I cancel ?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

theyre the people who made basecamp (bad project management software) and ruby on rails and a bunch of books and thought leadering. idc if you cancel them, im just enjoying a good heel turn

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

if we've been discussing this in some other thread it probably deserves its own because this is some amazing management fuckery here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

50 ways to leave your founder

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

It Doesn't Have to be Good at Work

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

50 ways to leave your founder

just hop off the scrum, bum
Iterate the app, jack
Release the key, lee
And get yourself free

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

so far they've lost their entire iOS team, head of design, head of marketing

lmfao

someone started a DEI committee at basecamp before the original post of "DHH and jason are in charge, no politics, deal with it" (and had like a third of the employees commit to joining), that DEI committee was told to wind down

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
lol

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/DrewTheLoud/status/1387175321300979715 lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it would be remiss of us to not mention the sauna post 2 days prior The Post https://world.hey.com/jason/i-bought-a-sauna-30088f7d

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

how much of a poster do you have to be to get owned on internal coms and then just blow up your company because of it?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/willmanduffy/status/1388241016889696259?s=20

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when you should definitely change your name

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
gentle reminder that these captains of industry, these people who have written NYT bestsellers on management, these new wunderkinds that were the subject of many glowing Forbes lead pieces, managed a company of approximately 55. So less people than the average american supermarket.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lomarf

although he is still just posting

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

to resolve this trivial issue in a company with 55 people, Jason could have had hour-long one-on-ones with every single person in the company in a week and a half without ever missing lunch or working overtime, but instead, well,

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

quote:

2. No more paternalistic benefits. For years we've offered a fitness benefit, a wellness allowance, a farmer's market share, and continuing education allowances. They felt good at the time, but we've had a change of heart. It's none of our business what you do outside of work, and it's not Basecamp's place to encourage certain behaviors — regardless of good intention. By providing funds for certain things, we're getting too deep into nudging people's personal, individual choices. So we've ended these benefits, and, as compensation, paid every employee the full cash value of the benefits for this year. In addition, we recently introduced a 10% profit sharing plan to provide direct compensation that people can spend on whatever they'd like, privately, without company involvement or judgement.

we're cutting all your benefits. but we'll give you the cash value of those benefits this year for free! what's that? next year? oh... i'm needed in the basement *mimes walking into basement behind big manager's chair*

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Hammerite posted:

we're cutting all your benefits. but we'll give you the cash value of those benefits this year for free! what's that? next year? oh... i'm needed in the basement

that thing is fine with me, as is getting rid of 360s. they said they were trading benefits for profit sharing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jonny 290 posted:

when you should definitely change your name

say hello to drew e. pheberson

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

say hello to drew e. pheberson

xD

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

refleks posted:

lomarf

although he is still just posting

posting through it is a time-honored tradition.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’m outraged at whatever that is

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

looks like maybe they shouldn't have spent a few hundred thousand dollars on getting that hey.com domain then

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

So, like, how many more people are going to accept buy-outs before they rescind the buyout offers?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

So, like, how many more people are going to accept buy-outs before they rescind the buyout offers?

so far a third of them it looks like

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
the entire iOS team is gone apparently

this is the Friday zoom happy hour topic of discussion at my employer, and a few others according to friends.

"good luck trying to fill those roles" is the sentiment, after much laughing at the founders/cheering on those who have left. One of our recruiters is keeping an eye on that twitter thread.

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
can't get rejected from the app store if there's no one to write your app

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh christ they're gonna rename to Basedcamp now aren't they gently caress

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/potch/status/1388259282655715328?s=20

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whats the vegas line on tweets about cancel culture

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

theyre the people who made basecamp (bad project management software) and ruby on rails and a bunch of books and thought leadering. idc if you cancel them, im just enjoying a good heel turn

idk who they are but i know ruby is super loving bad so i;d be bailing the gently caress out of that company if i were them.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

oh christ they're gonna rename to Basedcamp now aren't they gently caress

lol maybe they'll try to pivot and run the next parler or whatever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

idk who they are but i know ruby is super loving bad so i;d be bailing the gently caress out of that company if i were them.

yeah, see, the handling of this dumb situation is putting into perspective how minor the badness of ruby is in comparison.

may in fact be that no mindless artifact can be quite as dumb as a real living ceo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ruby is fine. rails is p hosed up

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dhh is a dumbass but i dont think he'll do the cancel-culture thing simply bc he's positioned himself as opposed to the type of person that uses the phrase "cancel culture"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ruby is just anime perl

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

dhh is a dumbass but i dont think he'll do the cancel-culture thing simply bc he's positioned himself as opposed to the type of person that uses the phrase "cancel culture"

this is clearly some triple-a level meltdown though, he is already torching his company and credibility, so i see no reason to expect him to stop short of anything in particular.

Jonny 290 posted:

ruby is just anime perl

:shuckyes:

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 1, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah at no point is this dude gonna 'reel it in'
he's gonna james damore it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

we'll get some announcement next week that dhh is taking a sabbatical to enter rehab or because of stress related disorder or something and they'll hire some twitter famous poc like anil dash to be coo and eventually ceo