Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nessus posted:

I think with Zenos we kind of have already seen his deal, and he's aggressively disdained everything other than his deal. Like, this is the choice the character has willfully made. He has even, on screen, considered other routes of action, and rejected them. So barring some kind of situation like "we have a solo duty where he panicks and runs from the WoL, while we chase him and shout his own catchphrases back at him in a sarcastic tone of voice, leading to him having some kind of moral awakening," I don't think we will get Zenos be somehow redeemed or shined up. We may find out more detail about him but it will probably be along the line of "he killed his own pet when he was six years old... his pet DOUBLE CERBERUS!"

I similarly doubt we will get anything redemptive out of Fandaniel but we may see some of his perspective or pre-Asahi incarnations etc.

And then double cerberus will show up in zenos ultimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

multijoe posted:

Well yeah, I'm not saying he's going to literally turn into the character straight from FFIV, but that will be the thematic and visual base for the final boss like Knights of the Round was for Thordan and Hades was for, uh, Hades

Yeah I definitely misread your post and the direction of the conversation. I thought you meant they were gonna use actual story elements from the older games instead of just visual cues and stuff, which you didn't, it's my bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I do actually wonder a bit what the Stormblood story ultimate will look like (since they seem to be alternating ultimates based on raid series and msq). Besides Zenos himself (both human and Shinryu) what other big, story-relevant bosses did Stormblood even really have? Tsukuyomi exists but isn't really connected to Shinryu/Zenos the way the elements in uwu (and the upcoming nidhogg+thordan) trial are.

I guess, like Stormblood itself, the ultimate based on it will probably have to feel a bit disconnected and messy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I do actually wonder a bit what the Stormblood story ultimate will look like (since they seem to be alternating ultimates based on raid series and msq). Besides Zenos himself (both human and Shinryu) what other big, story-relevant bosses did Stormblood even really have? Tsukuyomi exists but isn't really connected to Shinryu/Zenos the way the elements in uwu (and the upcoming nidhogg+thordan) trial are.

I guess, like Stormblood itself, the ultimate based on it will probably have to feel a bit disconnected and messy

They could just mix things up a bit and make the other the Zodiac Brave ultimate, that would have a much more consistent theme at least

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think if there was an ultimate with Zenos and Shinryu it'd probably fall in line with a raid that ended on whatever the 6.0 boss is. Either that or tie Shinryu into the Omega raids somehow. I agree that it's a hard stretch.

If anything comes out of Stormblood ultimates I'd like to see a four lords raid that caps off in a Koryu fight that isn't just an extremely large 2.5 golden horse model.

Or maybe it can be. I love goofs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I guess they could toss in Varis, since they went through all the effort to give him a shoehorned trial after he died offscreen

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
My theory is that they'll combine Shinryu with Omega itself since that at least happened in main story, and the "Omega ultimate" will instead be primarily about the cameo bosses without the presence of Omega. If it's still two ultimates per expansion going forward, that means we'll get it in 7.1, which is long enough for the next full installment of the FF7 remake to come out so 14 can finally put in a Sephiroth fight as the Ultimate only content.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I will say I really appreciate that the ffxiv team, after killing a major antagonist who we never got to fight, offscreen and at the hands of an NPC, went through all the effort to make a new trial for us to fight him after all

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess they could toss in Varis, since they went through all the effort to give him a shoehorned trial after he died offscreen

Varis has always been weird to me, because his first appearance is with such pomp and directly in front of the WoL you figure he's going to be more central to the WoL and their story. But everything else is done in cutscenes where other people are deciding things for him, you see him again four years later at the conference, and then he dies as part of the b-plot of Shadowbringers which the WoL isn't even involved in. Then he gets an Extreme-only Trial after a solo duty.

His conclusion is natural and he didn't lack for onscreen presence, but I've wondered at whether or not they had bigger plans for him initially before settled on where things have gone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's a lot of behind the scenes I'd be interested in. Like was Shadowhunter always supposed to be Gaius, or did they dig him up after the community kept memeing that every mysterious or anonymous character was Gaius? Did he survive because he was popular, or did anyone lose a roll because they weren't?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I was thinking how it's a little funny that Shadowhunter was introduced to us as The Dude Who Kills Ascians, name-drops Emet Selch for us, then never kills another Ascian and gets shuffled off to side content.

I wonder if he'll even have a presence in Endwalker. Like, he can't be working with Werlyt if you never did the Weapons series, right?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They have worked far enough ahead that they had Stormblood's main story mostly drafted before Heavensward got deep into patch content (offhand I think they said something about it being fully done by 3.1) but I couldn't entirely extrapolate from that if they'd always planned on Gaius being Shadowhunter. That kind of time window does suggest they already knew roughly what they were going to do with the Warriors of Darkness from inception, though, for a different example.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, they definitely have their story beats set out, but smaller things like character identities or side content details might be less set in stone. And when they get to the actual writing stage, I imagine they still have the opportunity to swing things.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My hope for the Stormblood ultimates is they do one with Shinryu, Omega, Yiazmat, Absolute Virtue and Ozma.

It doesn't really matter to me, since Ultimates are basically the opposite of content that caters to me. But Stormblood included enough historical superbosses to fill an Ultimate by themselves, and since Ultimatesare basically the FFXIV equivalent of a superboss, it only makes sense.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Vitamean posted:

I was thinking how it's a little funny that Shadowhunter was introduced to us as The Dude Who Kills Ascians, name-drops Emet Selch for us, then never kills another Ascian and gets shuffled off to side content.

I wonder if he'll even have a presence in Endwalker. Like, he can't be working with Werlyt if you never did the Weapons series, right?

Yoshi was asked if Gaius is going to be in EW and gave some non-answer along the lines of "I won't say he doesn't appear in EW, but I can't promise that he has a major role either." So.... maybe?

It does feel like MSQ Shadowhunter/Gaius is a completely separate character from Gaius post Sorrow of Werlyt. I wouldn't be surprised if he just shows up for a cameo and that's it.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

wizardofloneliness posted:

Yoshi was asked if Gaius is going to be in EW and gave some non-answer along the lines of "I won't say he doesn't appear in EW, but I can't promise that he has a major role either." So.... maybe?

It does feel like MSQ Shadowhunter/Gaius is a completely separate character from Gaius post Sorrow of Werlyt. I wouldn't be surprised if he just shows up for a cameo and that's it.
I imagine that when we decide that we're moving toward Garlemald, Gaius may pop up and say hey good luck or something. Or we ask him to go and he declines. That's probably enough of a role for him in EW.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"If I go with you how am I supposed to take over back here settings up for the post-Endwalker story?"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cleretic posted:

My hope for the Stormblood ultimates is they do one with Shinryu, Omega, Yiazmat, Absolute Virtue and Ozma.

It doesn't really matter to me, since Ultimates are basically the opposite of content that caters to me. But Stormblood included enough historical superbosses to fill an Ultimate by themselves, and since Ultimatesare basically the FFXIV equivalent of a superboss, it only makes sense.

Ahaha, Absolute Virtue Ultimate would rule so hard

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gimmie a Gaius trust!!!!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I have a sneaking suspicion Fordola is either gonna die in 5.55 or be a central character for Endwalker and the new tank trust

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Endwalker's finale surprise gives you a Zenos trust. All of his banter is talking mad poo poo about the rest of the group the whole dungeon, especially if the lineup includes Estinien and G'raha.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

There's gonna be a loving RP duty where we play as Zenos isn't there.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

and i hope it launches a million edgelord scytheboner rpers

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chillgamesh posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion Fordola is either gonna die in 5.55 or be a central character for Endwalker and the new tank trust

I do think someone's gonna die in 5.55, but I still think it's gonna be Hien. More because other people are ruled out than because Hien specifically has a target on him.

Arenvald's safe, if they wanted to kill him they'd have done it in 5.5.

Fordola's got new territory to tread, killing her now would be a waste. Granted, they did that to Ysayle, but I get the feeling the current writing team feel like that sort of death is unwelcome now.

Similarly, both Merlwyb and Aymeric have recent new ground to cover, it'd be weird for them to introduce that and then immediately kill them. That said, the Firmament storyline does act as a decent Aymeric sendoff, so I wouldn't be overly shocked.

All the Scions are, naturally, still safe because we need them for the Trust system. That includes Estinien.

Nanamo's already had a death storyline, no point going for a rerun.

So that leaves Kan-e-Senna, Raubahn, Lyse, and Hien, and from there we get to speculation. I think Senna's safe because the Shroud's still got some bonkers poo poo to cover, and you'd want their long-standing head of state around for it. She's otherwise a good target, though.

Both Raubahn and Lyse would raise emotional stakes, but I sort of feel they keep each other safe by both filling the role of 'Ala Mhigan diplomacy contact'. You want a death to change the status quo in some way, and neither of them would.

So that leaves Hien. He's not busy with something interesting these days, but would still be a status quo shake-up if we lost him. Plus, people generally like Hien, and he has significant connections, so there's a strong emotional reaction waiting there. He's also been there for all the 5.5 promo material and yet has done nothing in all of 5.x beyond introduce Bozja, which is a bit suspicious.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 5, 2021

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hogama posted:

Endwalker's finale surprise gives you a Zenos trust. All of his banter is talking mad poo poo about the rest of the group the whole dungeon, especially if the lineup includes Estinien and G'raha.

zenos calling out alisaie's bad lb usage would be everything i could ask for and more

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
zenos' echo manifests as the ability to see parses

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think if they axe a homie it will be Thancred and his role in Trusts would be replaced with either G'raha or Estinien.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really do not get the impression they are going to randomly murder someone for no reason.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What should Estinien's Trust gimmick be?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WrightOfWay posted:

Look at his job title and you tell me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WrightOfWay posted:

Mechanically, he probably could be either DPS or some kind of Dark Knight-esque tank if he's channeling Nidhogg's power.

Spiritually, he should have the dungeon theme be replaced by a Soken cover of House of Pain's 'Jump Around'

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

there's been a murderer every final patch, for example
2.55 - teledji and adeledji
3.55 - papalymo
4.55 - the player's expectations that they'll be going to garlemald in the next expansion

who's up next???

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Estinien will just be like Alisaie, except instead of blowing your LB the moment you get one, Estinien will jump directly into an AoE the moment one appears.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WrightOfWay posted:

I'd love if he was a versatile role who could either tank or DPS since he's mr special nidhogg eater and all but I assume he'll be Melee Alisaie where he goes hard on the weapon skills and mashes limit break ASAP.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Estinien will just be like Alisaie, except instead of blowing your LB the moment you get one, Estinien will jump directly into an AoE the moment one appears.

If your party is Alphinaud, Allisaie, and Estinien, then Alph will spend all his attention on them and almost never heal you.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

iPodschun posted:

I imagine that when we decide that we're moving toward Garlemald, Gaius may pop up and say hey good luck or something. Or we ask him to go and he declines. That's probably enough of a role for him in EW.

Gaius will be the primary NPC contact for our harvest moon islands.
He and Allie will drive the delivery truck that picks up your shipped crops :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fordola isn't going to die because there were a couple lines that seemed to set up her coming to the ruins of Garlemald and seeing the ashes of the empire she devoted her life to. Additionally, Yoshida said that a character who would be prominent in 6.0 would be appearing in 5.5 in a way that implied either a new character or one coming back into the story, and Forodola is the most prominent reappearance in the patch so far.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I want Fordola to join the A team and also be the lesbian version of G'raha cause drat it we need some ladies to ship the WoL with.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Eimi posted:

I want Fordola to join the A team and also be the lesbian version of G'raha cause drat it we need some ladies to ship the WoL with.

I cannot agree more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

you can aspire for better than fordola, really you can