Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Quackles posted:

It does? :stonk:

Darn it, I miss the days when instructions were implemented entirely in hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwf5mAlI7Ug&t=882s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that and the differential video are really good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jabor posted:

you could probably build a uarch that can reasonably efficiently implement both x86-64 and arm, but you'd have to come at it with that being your design goal, and accept it being somewhat less efficient at each architecture than a dedicated uarch would be.

isn't this basically llvm

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as far as i understand the m1 actually does the harder part of that by supporting x86 memory ordering guarantees and similar details, adding the instruction decoder would not serve much of a purpose when they can do that part in software, but they probably could.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

rjmccall posted:

it is legally unclear whether you can actually enforce ip rights on an isa and god willing we’ll never find out

to underscore this, it's so unclear that the likes of intel and amd rely mostly on patenting implementation techniques rather than the isa itself. if you patent all the good ways to implement a particular isa, you own it even if other ip rights don't apply

spankmeister posted:

Wasn't that already worked out with all the Intel clones back in the 80's?

that was mostly intel offensively suing companies they had already licensed to make clones of x86 cpus, and the results didn't create quite the kind of precedent intel wanted

see, ibm had insisted that intel permit second-sourcing of their processors in order to win the ibm pc contract. so intel signed a bunch of licensing agreements, handed over design files to the likes of AMD, Intersil, Harris, and many others, and all of them began cranking out fully legal x86 clones

later in the 1980s, as pc clones began to spiral out of ibm's control, intel saw their golden opportunity to obtain a monopoly. the lawsuits were classic might-makes-right nonsense, just "we have meaner and nastier lawyers and more money to fight in court until you just let us break your contract"

some didn't fold. amd was the most stubborn, and eventually won some key cases in court. the rest settled without creating any precedent on whether isas can be copyrighted or whatever

the core problem with treating an isa as IP is that it's a relatively abstract hardware/software interface specification. loosely speaking, copyright can't protect ideas or interfaces. the former was well established in the 1980s, the latter not so much, but today AIUI there is legal precedent for it from the software world, so it'd be extremely dicey to assert copyright on an ISA

and if you can't copyright an ISA, what area of IP law would apply?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BobHoward posted:

the core problem with treating an isa as IP is that it's a relatively abstract hardware/software interface specification. loosely speaking, copyright can't protect ideas or interfaces. the former was well established in the 1980s, the latter not so much, but today AIUI there is legal precedent for it from the software world, so it'd be extremely dicey to assert copyright on an ISA

and if you can't copyright an ISA, what area of IP law would apply?

Question for lawyer-adjacent types: Would the recent "APIs are not copyrightable as a matter of law" decision apply to ISAs as well?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
apis are copyrightable. google’s use of the java api was allowed because of fair use not because the api cannot be copyrighted.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the ruling was objectively wrong as it wasnt even remotely fair use, but given the same interpretation for ISA licensing it means creating your own implementation that is different from the reference implementation would be fair use.

the specific reference implementation of an ISA is copyrightable, but the ruling says you cant prevent anyone from making a compatible implementation as long as its different. it makes the unanswered question of whether the ISA itself is copyrightable totally moot

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mr. Nice! posted:

apis are copyrightable. google’s use of the java api was allowed because of fair use not because the api cannot be copyrighted.

they did not rule one way or the other as to if apis were copyrightable
they said it didn't matter because google's use was fair use if it was and that way they only had to rule on one thing

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

duz posted:

they did not rule one way or the other as to if apis were copyrightable
they said it didn't matter because google's use was fair use if it was and that way they only had to rule on one thing

So does that mean that reimplementing an ISA would be fair use?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

dunno! thats the fun of how they worded the ruling!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Quackles posted:

Ask the supreme court.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Quackles posted:

yes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Quackles posted:

scotus purposefully didn't specify, so go wild!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
theres only one way to make sure your API is protected by copyright:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare_Programming_Language

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you don't have the money to fight a battle all the way to the supreme court while not making any money off the product you developed, ISAs developed by megarich companies are in practice copyrightable for now even if it will turn out in the end that they aren't.

On the flip side, if you don't have the money to fight a battle all the way to the supreme court, any ISA that you have developed yourself will be in practice not be copyrightable

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BobHoward posted:

to underscore this, it's so unclear that the likes of intel and amd rely mostly on patenting implementation techniques rather than the isa itself. if you patent all the good ways to implement a particular isa, you own it even if other ip rights don't apply
patents, especially the ones Andy Glew et al have for Intel, run out
among those are several that're important even now

can't wait to see x86 somehow get worse by all the clones

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019
i was doing devops for a couple years, and i finally like formally learned full stack and react hooks after i got laid off last fall. thinking about maybe becoming the worlds most feared hacker since im so good with apps and infosec is gonna boom

in the meantime im doing gigs and htb. i was looking at the signup page the other day, and htb finally got rid of their signup game and they just give you an account now, which is way less cool but way more accessible. infosec in general is about to follow that trend, but i plan to 'stay true to my roots' and wear sunglasses at my workstation and force project managers to call me 'hav0k'

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

bleeding kansas posted:

i was doing devops for a couple years, and i finally like formally learned full stack and react hooks after i got laid off last fall. thinking about maybe becoming the worlds most feared hacker since im so good with apps and infosec is gonna boom

in the meantime im doing gigs and htb. i was looking at the signup page the other day, and htb finally got rid of their signup game and they just give you an account now, which is way less cool but way more accessible. infosec in general is about to follow that trend, but i plan to 'stay true to my roots' and wear sunglasses at my workstation and force project managers to call me 'hav0k'

I always cringed when the internal offensive security team's director used their employee's "callsigns" in an all-hands. Trying desperately to hold onto their "cred".

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019
that is my ideal work environment. i would also like to be assigned a k/d ratio based on inscrutable metrics

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MrQueasy posted:

I always cringed when the internal offensive security team's director used their employee's "callsigns" in an all-hands. Trying desperately to hold onto their "cred".

that's too amazing. It's like wearing a big sign saying "please please please stuff me in a locker"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hey i just read the x86 paper and was hoping for a good breakdown here and rjmccall fuckin’ delivered so another yospos success story. thank u

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bleeding kansas posted:

that is my ideal work environment. i would also like to be assigned a k/d ratio based on inscrutable metrics

i think that's just joining the military

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shame Boy posted:

i think that's just joining the military

wear a flight suit so you can sit in a trailer and bomb weddings/water treatment plants

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019
i would simply hack my rifle so it never misses, and then force them to engrave 'hav0k pwns' on my pile of medals. but the military doesnt pay for poo poo so

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bleeding kansas posted:

i would simply hack my rifle so it never misses,

That is literally the premise behind some versions of Shadowrun. Works great until someone hacks you...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm currently having an argument with Conservatives at a client about whether they REALLY need to comply with PCI DSS and whether it's REALLY not okay to send credit card PANs across the internet in unencrypted Telnet sessions. These people are fully beyond belief.

Edit to add content:

Here's some good crit of a recent Perlroth piece:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/05/03/cybersecurity-ignorance-is-dangerous/

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 4, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Quackles posted:

SolarWinds has renamed itself to...

N-Able. :v:

from a couple pages ago but seeing this post has resurfaced memories i'd previously suppressed from when i was once responsible for an n-able monitoring stack. that poo poo was the purest worst garbage i've ever seen, absolutely horrendous.

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019
API stands for actually, pretty injectable

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

https://github.com/itm4n/PPLdump

complete PPL bypass without a kernel mode driver for dumping lsass

oh and its not eligible for bug bounty according to ms lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i wouldn't recommend avast in any case, it likes to sell you as the product

https://www.pcmag.com/news/avast-defends-data-harvesting-plans-to-get-users-to-agree-to-it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Signal wanted to take out ads on Facebook and Instagram showing just how precisely ad targeting can be focused:

Facebook took great offense and canned their ad account.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Quackles posted:

Signal wanted to take out ads on Facebook and Instagram showing just how precisely ad targeting can be focused:

Signal's been on a tear lately

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Quackles posted:

Aggressive and snarky blog posts are actually good advertising tbh. They're selling me on it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

facebook had to take them down before their algorithm fed them to the wrong people and they got laughed at

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

please buy our targeted ad space!

...no not like that!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Quackles posted:

posting this on facebook lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they should have used things you can actually target on, because it would have been harder for FB to wave it away

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Subjunctive posted:

they should have used things you can actually target on, because it would have been harder for FB to wave it away

what makes you think those are not things you can target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ymgve posted:

what makes you think those are not things you can target?

I’ve seen the targeting interface you use to select ad target groups?