Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Another guy finished his playthrough recently, and you can watch it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc1iJLmHrc0

I feel like I was more scared of whatever could be lurking out there in the dark than I ever was of the actual monsters I ran into, so it's interesting to see people who were much more scared of it.

Well, that and the sickening feeling of seeing the ground just curve away from me and plunge deep down, farther than I could go. But apparently other people are just FINE with that and the inky darkness 360 degrees around them so that they can't see anything. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, that and the sickening feeling of seeing the ground just curve away from me and plunge deep down, farther than I could go.

Whoever did the water visuals for this game was loving spot on. I’ve been scuba diving in places where this exact thing happens, it’s such a a loving weird feeling and this game gets a good approximation of it. Same with looking up to the surface from below, as the light comes down through the ripples.

Both of those are goddamn close in feeling, if not the sheer loving scale of it. There’s nothing that’s going to compare to being on a loving wall dive watching the surface run the gently caress away from you at an alarming rate, but both games handle it pretty loving well.

e: added some loving swears, shitbirds beware :ninja:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 4, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Now try it in VR. It’s alarming.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Bad Munki posted:

Now try it in VR. It’s alarming.

I didn't get a sense of horror playing this on a monitor, but I could see myself definitely getting a bit of horror vibe if I was playing it in VR.

I wish the cyclops had a speed module you could unlock with advanced materials. Towards the end of the game the map felt a bit big for the speed you could travel.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

TheGreySpectre posted:

I wish the cyclops had a speed module you could unlock with advanced materials. Towards the end of the game the map felt a bit big for the speed you could travel.

I wish more people had made mods - aside from that multiplayer one the only ones I could find were fairly basic QoL mods.

Gimme:
  • Cyclops speed module
  • Radio module for all vehicles (be able to organise MP3 into folders for stations, or work with the Spotify API)
  • More base components, like a Cyclops dock

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I wish more people had made mods - aside from that multiplayer one the only ones I could find were fairly basic QoL mods.

Gimme:
  • Cyclops speed module
  • Radio module for all vehicles (be able to organise MP3 into folders for stations, or work with the Spotify API)

I think the speed mod and docking mod both exist on Nexus? I know the docking mod is there, I’ve got it and it’s good.

e: Cyclops docking mod link.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/554

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Gimme:

I would love more base components. I really enjoyed building bases. I wish I could have made them fancier.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i always wished someone made a cave diving simulator out of this with air tanks only or whatever, really confusing maze like caves so you had to rely on the line markers and poo poo

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Google Butt posted:

i always wished someone made a cave diving simulator out of this with air tanks only or whatever, really confusing maze like caves so you had to rely on the line markers and poo poo

“This game needs more drowning”

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bad Munki posted:

“This game needs more drowning”

well if it hopes to simulate irl cave diving, much more indeed

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Anyway, did y'all see this info leak?

https://twitter.com/simoncarless/status/1389297530341519362?s=20

EGS paid the devs $1.4M and gave away 4.6M copies of the game. That's where I first picked it up, ended up paying for BZ on Steam though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Very defensive.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Anyway, did y'all see this info leak?

https://twitter.com/simoncarless/status/1389297530341519362?s=20

EGS paid the devs $1.4M and gave away 4.6M copies of the game. That's where I first picked it up, ended up paying for BZ on Steam though.

poo poo piss oval office gently caress cocksucker motherfucker and tits

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I guess they’re trying to show all the lost sales?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Same, but I ain't giving him any clicks.

He has some good politics but also called the cops on his ex who’s a famous adult actress in a very sketchy manner so yeah....

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I just want my Alien Containment areas to more accurately represent the local biomes where I discovered the samples

Also a giant aquarium-style room I can fill with towering cylindrical alien containments with flora and fauna from every biome I vist

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'd like to do something like the latest Green Hell thing, where you help a small community pull itself back together.

And on the plus side, the places where you find people hiding away can be converted into outposts.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
My prawn suit gets stuck on any of the ramps in the alien thermal facility :(

E: okay I reloaded my save and simply boosted to avoid the up ramps and got through it.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 5, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hey guys, decided to start slowing going through BZ since apparently its mostly done but for the ending? I've been good and have had no spoilers, other than "there are above ground segments with something that annoys you" and "the seatruck gets slow".

Thoughts:
-Boy howdy do they throw a ton of blueprints at you! Its good since I got the seaglide asap (first game I finished the moth first) and the gravity orb is nice and early, instead of being midgame. But there isn't really a lot of fishing for blueprints I feel? When something is available it's either given entirely or all the parts are so dense you instantly get it. Cake-and-eat-it-too problem.
-Speaking thereof, the Truck. Is not the Moth, game, stop trying to tell me it is.
-Where the hell is Lithium
-I was puttering around a fumarole, aware of the yells of those large quadruped armoured sharks, when I found out it wasn't the quadrupeds roaring. Ole Grabby's back! Scared the poo poo outa me, and gave me a good laugh.
-Seriously, where is Lithium
-Should I bother with this aquarium module for the Truck just yet? I don't wanna check a wiki and get spoiled, is it just like transport or does it do crazy stuff like solve all hunger/h20 issues? Can I unattach it afterwards?
-I can't believe they made me use sea lockers again, the bastards

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You can attach/remove seatruck modules at will.

Lithium is easy to find in the vents around the island. You could also find it in the area underneath the twisty bridges.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Serephina posted:

-Should I bother with this aquarium module for the Truck just yet? I don't wanna check a wiki and get spoiled, is it just like transport or does it do crazy stuff like solve all hunger/h20 issues? Can I unattach it afterwards?

This is what that module does.

As you are driving around near schools of fish they will randomly be picked up in the aquarium, useful if you also have the fabricator mod to always have food available.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think the speed mod and docking mod both exist on Nexus? I know the docking mod is there, I’ve got it and it’s good.

e: Cyclops docking mod link.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/554

The docking mod is indeed good, but be sure your docked cyclops *never* gets anywhere near a wandering leviathan. Had to go retrieve mine from several KM away when it happened to me, and the dock never worked properly at that seabase again.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Google Butt posted:

If you like desperately trying to figure out which way you came through the vents in a big wreck, you're gonna love Below Zero.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The docking mod is indeed good, but be sure your docked cyclops *never* gets anywhere near a wandering leviathan. Had to go retrieve mine from several KM away when it happened to me, and the dock never worked properly at that seabase again.

Haha, good to know!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Continuing my mostly spoiler free first impressions of BZ:

I've gotten to the part where there's a substantial amount of running around above ground. It's not good. Literally everything I've worked for/with this game is siting in the sea while I huff and puff across a boring landscape with a tacked on heat mechanic. There's this whole new pile of above-ground-only toys that I couldn't give a fek about, but one of them needs Stalker Fur, so let's go kill this stalker over here. Hrm, can't seem to get his fur off with a knife, better google that... JFC are you kidding me?

It's rubbish, all of it. Like, I could hop back into the water and be scared from all the leviathans, claustrophobia, et al. There's cool biomes down there! What are they thinking with this generic crap above ground =/

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Invalid Validation posted:

I guess they’re trying to show all the lost sales?
Who, among the various imaginary villains haunting the thread's collective imagination, is the "they" you refer to? I mean if you want to gin up a whole conspiracy I think you need to provide a bit more yarn, someone here might pick it up for you though.

The data didn't come from the publisher or EGS as part of an intentional marketing drive, this data is from a lawsuit that Epic is involved in and was disclosed without their blessing. It seems like small-ish, but 4.6M installs is huge and I'm sure that had some fringe benefits like streamers getting copies. $1.4M at $25 each would've only been 56k folks, a paltry number in comparison.

Serephina posted:

-Boy howdy do they throw a ton of blueprints at you! Its good since I got the seaglide asap (first game I finished the moth first) and the gravity orb is nice and early, instead of being midgame. But there isn't really a lot of fishing for blueprints I feel? When something is available it's either given entirely or all the parts are so dense you instantly get it. Cake-and-eat-it-too problem.
A lot of these seem like RNG effects on fragment placement more than those rotten devs crafting a script the player must stick to. I started a subnautica run and had the gravity trap up within half an hour, 90 minutes in I haven't seen a sea moth or moon pool chunk. Why you're calling that a "mid-game" blueprint is a mystery.

There is one mid-game BZ blueprint that I had to work for, plot(?) spoilers the 'parallel processing unit' didn't just fall into my lap or show up in a bunch of nests all within one breath. I really had to make the effort to get out to some wrecks and find the fragments. I had particular truck augments that just wouldn't complete until I really spent a while on the caves checking each nest as well, but those aren't as critical.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Continuing my mostly spoiler free first impressions of BZ:

I've gotten to the part where there's a substantial amount of running around above ground. It's not good. Literally everything I've worked for/with this game is siting in the sea while I huff and puff across a boring landscape with a tacked on heat mechanic. There's this whole new pile of above-ground-only toys that I couldn't give a fek about, but one of them needs Stalker Fur, so let's go kill this stalker over here. Hrm, can't seem to get his fur off with a knife, better google that... JFC are you kidding me?

It's rubbish, all of it. Like, I could hop back into the water and be scared from all the leviathans, claustrophobia, et al. There's cool biomes down there! What are they thinking with this generic crap above ground =/

Big spoilers in case you have not seen this yet in the above ground segments.

So giant monsters no-clipping through the ground isn't a flaw, it is a lore friendly feature! Have fun with more 'This is cooler in the water' .

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 5, 2021

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Green Hell

Is that any good? I've seen it come up a few times on Steam and it looks interesting.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's p good, ye. Story's a bit naff, but the gameplay is solid.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Serephina posted:

I was puttering around a fumarole, aware of the yells of those large quadruped armoured sharks, when I found out it wasn't the quadrupeds roaring. Ole Grabby's back! Scared the poo poo outa me, and gave me a good laugh.

Wait, thats whats makin all that noise? loving great, just what I need.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I kind of feel like the epic data isn't really that useful. It's a cool number to know, but it seems like you would need a lot more information make remotely accurate use of it. Some of the things I wonder about for example are how many of those copies were downloaded by people who already owned the game on a different platform or client, how many people downloaded a free copy that never would have otherwise purchased the game and how many word of mouth sales the free copies generated.

Also who knew if the devs predicted how well subnautica would do. Natural Selection 2 (their prior game) was also a great game but I think it only sold like 300k copies compared to Subnautica 5.2 million (excluding free copies).

Either way the game was a massive success for them so I don't see the need to scrutinize the decision all that much, particularly when I only have one small piece of information.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Also, people just take free games they 100% will never play. I own games I don't even know about, I still have no idea what games I got from that covid relief bundle last year.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I mean, even if it's 4M people who got the game for the first time, that is 4M more potential units of BZ. Long tail is nice, but I'm guessing the $1.4M is considered a bonus to the actual goal of getting more potential users for their soon-to-be-released product.
:shrug:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Finished the game! Very much enjoyed it almost the whole way though. The pacing suffered a bit near the end as there is little incentive to explore anything above the Lost River once you have 90% of the blueprints/upgrades. It would also have been nice to have a beacon for the Thermal Plant. I missed the wrecked pods in the Lost River onwards.

I appreciated that the devs made Platinum fairly easy if you just do the Degasi stuff.

I realized that the game has a very similar narrative conceit to Pikmin despite massive differences in gameplay.

I'm planning on picking up Beyond Zero later this year once I have a desire for More Subnautica.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

brainwrinkle posted:

Finished the game! Very much enjoyed it almost the whole way though. The pacing suffered a bit near the end as there is little incentive to explore anything above the Lost River once you have 90% of the blueprints/upgrades. It would also have been nice to have a beacon for the Thermal Plant. I missed the wrecked pods in the Lost River onwards.

I appreciated that the devs made Platinum fairly easy if you just do the Degasi stuff.

I realized that the game has a very similar narrative conceit to Pikmin despite massive differences in gameplay.

I'm planning on picking up Beyond Zero later this year once I have a desire for More Subnautica.
Fun fact, there used to be a beacon for the thermal plant! Then they removed it "To encourage exploration" to great applause. Leading to lots of people zooming right past it on the linear path to the end and needing to turn around.

I can see why, because those doors are probably easy to miss if I was more concerned with watching out for sea monsters and didn't already know it was there from the past dozen early access runs.

EDIT: In hindsight, it is also the only alien base you can't essentially ram your cyclops into wasn't it? That probably didn't help matters from the perspective "Well cyclops sucks/is too casual so I use nothing but the prawn anyways" where you would be more likely to see the entrance on approach, rather than zoom right by it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 6, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have, again, waited too long to relocate my makeshift base by the escape pod. Any suggestions for where to put it? I'm thinking near the surface, thermal area in centre of BZ map not far from the island. Deeper option would be near the huge jellyfishes, but I don't see much practicality other than being rad (and stealing M's thunder).

I've *just* gotten spiral coral clippings fwiw, to show where I am in progress. Also is there any way to shove a Seatruck segment into the recycler? It's going to take a billion years to ferry all the raw materials out there, the storage segments are individually so puny.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Serephina posted:

I have, again, waited too long to relocate my makeshift base by the escape pod. Any suggestions for where to put it? I'm thinking near the surface, thermal area in centre of BZ map not far from the island. Deeper option would be near the huge jellyfishes, but I don't see much practicality other than being rad (and stealing M's thunder).

I've *just* gotten spiral coral clippings fwiw, to show where I am in progress. Also is there any way to shove a Seatruck segment into the recycler? It's going to take a billion years to ferry all the raw materials out there, the storage segments are individually so puny.

The thermal area near the island is the only base you need in BZ. It's swimming distance to several biomes for resources and has thermal power.

I built a second one down near Margarit's base because it has a ton of thermal and is a good stopping off point to the crystal biomes but the game is nearly over at that point

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
BZ endgame question Did the final portion get added yet or is there still an invisible wall at the end?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

CyberLord XP posted:

BZ endgame question Did the final portion get added yet or is there still an invisible wall at the end?

Wall until the 14th when it gets released

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

brainwrinkle posted:

My prawn suit gets stuck on any of the ramps in the alien thermal facility :(

E: okay I reloaded my save and simply boosted to avoid the up ramps and got through it.

This is the only bug in the original game that ever really annoyed me. I'll echo the thought that more base stuff would have been appreciated, particularly a larger room or a cyclops dock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

Fun fact, there used to be a beacon for the thermal plant! Then they removed it "To encourage exploration" to great applause. Leading to lots of people zooming right past it on the linear path to the end and needing to turn around.

I can see why, because those doors are probably easy to miss if I was more concerned with watching out for sea monsters and didn't already know it was there from the past dozen early access runs.

I think I played this part in early access after they removed the marker because I drove right past it thanks to the leviathan making me want to stay on the opposite side of the area from it without seeing it, got to the point where I needed a blue tablet, and had no idea where it was. the thought of getting back through everything in that extremely buggy and unfun area in the hope of randomly bumping into a blue tablet was so discouraging that I ended up not touching the game again until 1.0. Only realized what I had missed once I happened to get luckier and see it on my 1.0 save.