Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes a new episode about baseball!

Well involving baseball. And i hope Dave does do an episode on the rules of the game at point

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Dave once said he could do an entire Dollop style podcast devoted to the FBI/CIA. I kind of want him to do that with baseball.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Digital Jedi posted:

Yes a new episode about baseball!

Well involving baseball. And i hope Dave does do an episode on the rules of the game at point
For people who don't know baseball?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The history/changes of the game since it's inception.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That’s probably a four hour podcast minimum

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Digital Jedi posted:

The history/changes of the game since it's inception.

They should get Jon Bois for that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

They should get Jon Bois for that.

And if Ken Burns comes around, beat him severely with a frozen turkey

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And if Ken Burns comes around, beat him severely with a frozen turkey

What is so bad about Ken Burns?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Forceholy posted:

His Civil War documentary spent an awful lot of time trying to make the Confederacy look like they were good guys.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

prefect posted:

His Civil War documentary spent an awful lot of time trying to make the Confederacy look like they were good guys.
I watched it like a year ago and I really don’t feel like it did

They did explain the parts about how poor rural people were forced to fight for the Confederacy on behalf of rich plantation owners, but I never felt like they hand waved the South

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I watched it like a year ago and I really don’t feel like it did

They did explain the parts about how poor rural people were forced to fight for the Confederacy on behalf of rich plantation owners, but I never felt like they hand waved the South

The entire thing has Shelby Foote’s fingerprints all over it sadly observing that the war had to happen because sensible people couldn’t find compromise

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

prefect posted:

his other stuff espcially his smaller or social history focused stuff is fantastic in my opinion.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

his other stuff espcially his smaller or social history focused stuff is fantastic in my opinion.

Can confirm. I watched a really old one he did on the Brooklyn Bridge that’s floating around on YouTube and that was pretty interesting

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Forceholy posted:

His baseball doc is as drawn out as actually watching baseball on TV is

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Vietnam one is good

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

His baseball doc is as drawn out as actually watching baseball on TV is

That’s part of the appeal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Can confirm. I watched a really old one he did on the Brooklyn Bridge that’s floating around on YouTube and that was pretty interesting

yeah. the PBS app on amazon is worth the 5 bucks a month because they have some facinating poo poo on there. American experience and the country music is great. as is the McCarthy one and any of the American experience movies.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Vietnam one is good

yeah. i heard it has issues because it doesn't cover everything but over all its great.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 8, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i heard it has issues because it doesn't cover everything but over all its great.
I appreciated the beginning parts that went into Vietnam's history under French rule and the post-WWII push for independence which was denied by the Allied Powers. Needless to say, Ho Chi Minh didn't appreciate that after believing that the US would get them out from under France's thumb.

Like you can see how we basically took over France's colonial project and it went to hell very fast.

To me the most important part is the idea that the whole thing was doomed to failure from the beginning and was never going to succeed, which I think is important because as we know, a lot of right-wing attitudes regarding Vietnam were that it was winnable but we were too weak and gave up or whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I appreciated the beginning parts that went into Vietnam's history under French rule and the post-WWII push for independence which was denied by the Allied Powers. Needless to say, Ho Chi Minh didn't appreciate that after believing that the US would get them out from under France's thumb.

Like you can see how we basically took over France's colonial project and it went to hell very fast.

To me the most important part is the idea that the whole thing was doomed to failure from the beginning and was never going to succeed, which I think is important because as we know, a lot of right-wing attitudes regarding Vietnam were that it was winnable but we were too weak and gave up or whatever.

yeah pretty much. we should have told the French to eat poo poo and let them get pushed out and do whatever. its the old question of if Kennedy had followed through with his plans to pull out fully OR not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's very clear to me that a lot of higher-ups in the Executive Branch legitimately bought into the Domino Theory, because that was the primary justification for staying in Vietnam well after it was obvious that the outcome was going to be bad.

It's not at all different from why we have been dragging our feet forever with staying in Afghanistan when it's very clear that we are never going to be able to create a stable country there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's very clear to me that a lot of higher-ups in the Executive Branch legitimately bought into the Domino Theory, because that was the primary justification for staying in Vietnam well after it was obvious that the outcome was going to be bad.

It's not at all different from why we have been dragging our feet forever with staying in Afghanistan when it's very clear that we are never going to be able to create a stable country there.

yeah. i suspect part of afganistan is alot of folks in power remember the evacuation of saigon and Operation Frequent Wind footage and they have calcified that into the belief of "well sure we can't win, but we can't lose either".

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
https://discord.gg/ZzJXKCtw

If you want to talk about the live show while it happens you can come here. This is my private discord for wrestling streaming to a friend in another country, but tonight it will be all about the Dollop! Show starts in 25 minutes

EDIT:

This is a very blah episode :-/

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 15, 2021

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
What's so blah about Bum Farto?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's possible I was just tired or whatever but I have heard a lot of people liked last nights episode. I'm going to watch it again when I'm awake to see if it was funnier than I remembered.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
So I've fallen behind by a lot and now have a solid 8 months of backlog to work through--have there been any particularly stand-out episodes that people can recommend so I can prioritize them?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
the cabeza de vaca ones have been my favorite in recent memory persally. also I just listened to the cassie chadwick one recently and that was a good one, you may have listened to it already though since it was 8 months ago

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Sab Sabbington posted:

So I've fallen behind by a lot and now have a solid 8 months of backlog to work through--have there been any particularly stand-out episodes that people can recommend so I can prioritize them?

I promise that I will look at a list of all the Dollops in the last 8 months and will have something for you. But yeah the Cabeza De Vaca 2 parter is awesome

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
438 14 Jul 2020 John Brown – Part 1
439 21 Jul 2020 John Brown – Part 2 – Bloody Kansas
440 28 Jul 2020 John Brown – Part 3 – Harpers Ferry

442 12 Aug 2020 Raffaele Minichiello

445 2 Sep 2020 Billy Carter

446 8 Sep 2020 Ada Blackjack

447 15 Sep 2020 Cassie Chadwick

448 23 Sep 2020 Napoleon Hill

450 6 Oct 2020 The Cocaine Pirates

451 14 Oct 2020 Abbie Hoffman - Part One
452 20 Oct 2020 Abbie Hoffman - Part Two
453 27 Oct 2020 Abbie Hoffman - Part Three

454 3 Nov 2020 Albert Parsons
463 5 Jan 2021 Lucy Parsons
(I would advise listening to these back to back)

456 3 Nov 2020 Scott Walker

457 24 Nov 2020 Charles Morse

462 29 Dec 2020 Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte

465 26 Jan 2021 Zoo Man Cy DeVry

466 2 Feb 2021 Wicked Phenix City

467 9 Feb 2021 The San Jose Bees

468 16 Feb 2021 The Meat Riot

469 23 Feb 2021 The Ringer

470 2 Mar 2021 Frank Verdi

471 9 Mar 2021 William Henry Ellis

472 16 Mar 2021 The A-Team

473 23 Mar 2021 Toothpicks in America

474 30 Mar 2021 Cabeza De Vaca - Part 1
475 06 Apr 2021 Cabeza De Vaca - Part 2

476 13 Apr 2021 The Manure Pile

477 20 Apr 2021 Otto Wood

478 27 Apr 2021 Women on the River (I loving loved this one)

479 04 May 2021 Harry Decker (this one was crazy)

480 11 May 2021 Pope Day

All of the live dollops have been decent to great. I recommend Erie Canal and Satanic Panic.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

SalTheBard posted:

extremely good poo poo

Oh poo poo, okay, thank you much. I'll start with the recent two-parter and work my way through!

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Cabeza de Vaca is 100% in my top five favorite episodes. It's good enough that I even bought the book they used as a source so that I could learn even more.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Tex Avery posted:

Cabeza de Vaca is 100% in my top five favorite episodes. It's good enough that I even bought the book they used as a source so that I could learn even more.

It's really good. I also loved Women on the River. The end was oddly emotional to me and I don't know why

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 19, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dave went onto The QanonAnonymous Podcast to discuss actor Jim Caviezel and loses his poo poo over how crazy Caviezel is.
https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-143-jim-caviezel-enter-the-cavortex-feat-dave-anthony

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Man. I just re-listened to the Fred Hampton episode. That audio played at the end is real heady stuff.

Fred really was something else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

Dave went onto The QanonAnonymous Podcast to discuss actor Jim Caviezel and loses his poo poo over how crazy Caviezel is.
https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-143-jim-caviezel-enter-the-cavortex-feat-dave-anthony

yeah there was a big post on the qanon thread from resetera of all places, talking about how loving awful he was to pretty much everyone on every show he was on and how loving stupid and insane he was.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Part 1 of a baseball episode today.

Billy Martin. Oh, this is gonna be wild.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Part 1 of a baseball episode today.

Billy Martin. Oh, this is gonna be wild.

Yeah, I was excited to see that. I haven't listened to Dollop in a while but this might bring me back to it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Imp of Nipples posted:

Yeah, I was excited to see that. I haven't listened to Dollop in a while but this might bring me back to it.

It's pretty great and a nice break from "History was horrible". The Mickey Mantle hunting story is hilarious.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 28, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I grew up in Jupiter, FL and hearing the Trapper Nelson story was wild as we learned about him school as part of local history and his estate is still there in the park.

Oh and his brother totally murdered him, he was bragging about it in bars. This is according to multiple people who were around when it all went down.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hoping episode 500 is Henry Kissinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Hoping episode 500 is Henry Kissinger

500, 501, 502, 503...