Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It doesn't seem to be that great a game, but hoo boy those GOG user reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It's fun to see the red pilled horde slinking out of their caverns to express themselves the way they know best--by review bombing games.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

treat posted:

It's fun to see the red pilled horde slinking out of their caverns to express themselves the way they know best--by review bombing games.

but they hate the commies why would their pills be red??????????????????????????????

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Lol yeah, a lot of :reject: energy in the reviews. The game doesn't play great, but it's loving righteous.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Titanfall 2 is free to play on Steam for the weekend

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1388177450748682245

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is the campaign enabled for this? It's not especially long so you could plough through it over the weekend pretty easily if so

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They don't specify that it's MP only so I'm assuming it is the entire retail video game.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

The multiplayer wave defense is a lot of fun if the competitive matches feel daunting also

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I played through the campaign (MP is not my cup of tea) the one month that I tried PS Plus. It was a pleasant experience, but unremarkable in my opinion.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can you do e.g. 4 player co-op campaign or anything?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
One of the few games I have paid money for in recent years solely on the strength of the GDQ speed run commentated by tomatoanus.

Game is good. Haven’t touched multiplayer.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

~Coxy posted:

Can you do e.g. 4 player co-op campaign or anything?

The campaign is single-player only- the co-op is a wave defense mode IIRC

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

The singleplayer, despite looking very frantic, is pretty accessible and is very cool.

The coop is up to four player wave based with difficulty options but you can also play with bots.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Nubarron: The adventure of an unlucky gnome - free on Steam.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Prime Gaming's May games are up, along with a couple of existing ones I don't think got posted here:

Iris and the Giant:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256775106/movie480.webm?t=1581677758

Healer's Quest:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256714732/movie480.webm?t=1524207386

Beholder:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256672664/movie480.webm?t=1476703328

Do Not Feed the Monkeys:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256690532/movie480.webm?t=1536126322

Edgar - Bokbok in Boulzac:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256764237/movie480.webm?t=1570715149

The Blind Prophet:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256774310/movie480.webm?t=1580919161

Yoku's Island Express:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256718255/movie480.webm?t=1527610940

Figment:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256694191/movie480.webm?t=1504195748

A Blind Legend:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256661050/movie480.webm?t=1457535876

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

"Washington Post posted:

In testimony Tuesday, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney admitted to Apple counsel that the Epic Games Store is projected to have incurred a $719 million loss by the year 2027, even if it doesn’t allocate costs across the company. Sweeney also confirmed estimated earnings from the store that year would be $5 million, when asked by Apple’s attorneys.
[...]
The Epic Games Store’s first free game, “Subnautica,” brought in approximately 1.5 million new users on its first day of availability. Epic paid the developer, Unknown Worlds, $1.4 million to offer the game free of charge on its platform.

It was not for nothing: The offer brought 804,052 new accounts to the Epic Games Store and by Epic’s calculation, each user cost the company $1.74, according to evidence uploaded on Monday. This approach to gaining users is cheaper for Epic than taking out advertisements on social media and gets money in developers’ hands, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said in an interview in December 2020.
[...]
Unknown Worlds was paid more than most of the other developers detailed in the document, with many notable names, including Jackbox and Ubisoft, arranging mere five-figure deals with Epic. Free games led to approximately 5 million new users on the platform, costing Epic approximately $2.37 per new account.

Let's hope this business model spreads because I loving love it! Total amount I've spent on EGS = ZERO DOLLARS

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I get why they're doing it, onboarding, which is what it's called for literally any model, be it best buy, steam, amazon, comcast, etc costs a gently caress of a lot of money that most companies lose money by roping you in as a customer, and don't break even on having you around until your 2nd or third year of subscription fees.

this is why a lot of places will sell you a 50% off your first year but then never allow you to have such a huge discount on subsequent years because it's not profitable to sell you something at $80 a year for $40 a year instead, because it costs the company $60-70 just to sustain providing the service to you.

I used to work for an online backup company, and this was primarily the reason.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Right, but with EGS, I've been "onboarded" into an ecosystem that operates as a free game subscription service and nothing else.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Right, but with EGS, I've been "onboarded" into an ecosystem that operates as a free game subscription service and nothing else.

I get that, there's always going to be "freeloaders" but their hope is that by being on the platform you're more interested in purchasing on that platform.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They should have incorporated a shopping cart if they wanted people to buy things.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I was going to say that it's doubly weird because Amazon holds the patent for ordering without a shopping cart, but apparently that monstrosity expired in 2017.

Anyway, Nubarron: The Adventure of an Unlucky Gnome is free-to-keep on Steam through the 9th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jef0R57QMew

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Epic Games Store will probably go the way of the dodo, Beos, and e-books before I get to actually playing any of the games. Then again, I'll haven't lost any money on it so :shrug:

(I almost dismissed "I'll haven't lost" as completely wrong but it's just a contraction of "I'll not have lost" or "I'll have not lost" [equivalent] which seems to be fine? It still looks hosed up.)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have bought precisely two things on EGS, satisfactory and WWZ.

Got my hours out of both :shrug: Subnautica is what got me in. What a beautiful game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
but the uncontracted sentence "I will not have lost", not "I will have not lost"
so "I'll not have lost" kinda works, "I won't have lost" works better, but "I'll haven't lost" sounds weird and wrong

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's "I ain't lost nothing."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but the uncontracted sentence "I will not have lost", not "I will have not lost"
so "I'll not have lost" kinda works, "I won't have lost" works better, but "I'll haven't lost" sounds weird and wrong

I'll've'nt

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

A few years back, some LP of... a non-Japanese Asian game (?) had a whole fascinating discussion about why "Who is going to do something? I'll!" works for local pidgin-English dialects but not English proper.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's what it's :shrug:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Xander77 posted:

A few years back, some LP of... a non-Japanese Asian game (?) had a whole fascinating discussion about why "Who is going to do something? I'll!" works for local pidgin-English dialects but not English proper.

English is not my mother tongue but while I can see there's something off with it I understand it and probably wouldn't notice.

Really all of your English rules about word order and tenses are shackles. Green great dragons will eventually win.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've bought a couple games on epic that were cheaper than steam with epics coupons. But yeah mostly the free stuff. I figure I already have another (five) launcher(s) with games so I don't really care much where they come from anymore.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"holy crap, 15 new posts in the free games thread? neat! time to score a BUNCH of freebies!"

oh it's just arguing about the fortnite games store

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it was more half "it's still cool i can get all these free games i haven't played" and half "contractions are weird"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it really free if you have to give out your email?

:raise:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I give out dozens of e-mails every day!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i mean it's definitely being used to create some sort of ad interest profile for you, but whether you're the product or the demographic is probably a more critical discussion for another thread/forum

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

oh no, my top secret gmail account that I created for junk mail purposes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also your entire social media profile and something about stealing your steam information?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I know GOG and Humble and itch and possibly indiegala operate on a system where you can download copies of installers.
Is there a similar way to grab the :files: for the handful of EGS or Steam or "other" games that are already on your account that you might want to get to later or move to devices without internet or the case of the store going away?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It depends on the game, if it's DRM-free and doesn't have a hard dependency on any Steam/EGS platform services then you can usually just copy the install directory elsewhere and run it standalone

Otherwise you have to get into :filez: territory with cracks and/or Steam emulators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Monkey posted:

oh no, my top secret gmail account that I created for junk mail purposes.

I guess no one remembers that guys mini meltdown?

drat :smith: