Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

they didn't call the photo of hoothoot's hidden foot 'hoothoot's footfoot'? more like Pokemon Crap!

just kidding that photo and many others have been a delight

hell yeah more like Pokemon Snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spending hours grinding purple drops for 2% shutter speed increase to get the perfect togepi shot and then charizard flies in and one-shots me. No thanks

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I don’t want Pokemon snap to be an open world game because open world games are generally garbage.

I would make the argument that there are too many open world games that shouldn't be open world, and too many games constrained by not being open world.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I don’t want Pokemon snap to be an open world game because open world games are generally garbage.

Yeah. Give me 18 (or 12 if you want to be pedantic about day and night versions) lovingly crafted levels, each with multiple variations in Pokemon behavior any day.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I would make the argument that there are too many open world games that shouldn't be open world, and too many games constrained by not being open world.

What games are constrained by not being open world

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Pokemon Snap :haw:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gottem

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Holy poo poo.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The original mass effect games (somewhat "fixed" in andromeda)
many final fantasy games (somewhat "fixed" in FF15)
Hell, even half life, to a point. Would be cooler if the levels were less linear and more open, even if it was just to the point of Deus Ex levels and not "true open" like skyrim or w/e

(the problem is, in short, immersion)

Not saying there isn't a time or place for more forcibly narrative driven games, but snap isn't really that. Like someone said, it's a puzzle game.

It's got the right aesthetic, photographing pokemon, but, at least for me, not the right implementation. The fact it's purely on rails just going over the same maps repeatedly for a higher score count is not remotely interesting to me.

I'm fine with that not being for me, but I would pay money for an open world game of the same activities.

Gamefreak couldn't do it, but someone else might.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Spending hours grinding purple drops for 2% shutter speed increase to get the perfect togepi shot and then charizard flies in and one-shots me. No thanks

That'd own, actually. Especially if you get the blurry shot of it just before it kills you.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hell, even half life, to a point. Would be cooler if the levels were less linear and more open, even if it was just to the point of Deus Ex levels and not "true open" like skyrim or w/e

Is this a joke.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You had me in the first half

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is this a joke.

No.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imagine if Gordon Freeman could take side missions to build reputation with Barney to unlock skill points to reload the magnum 4% faster and also you could walk from one end of Black Mesa to the other with respawning enemy checkpoints ftw

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

unlock skill points to reload the magnum 4% faster

Makes more sense than a random scientist just being extremely acrobatic with hitscan weapons

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Imagine if Gordon Freeman could take side missions to build reputation with Barney to unlock skill points to reload the magnum 4% faster and also you could walk from one end of Black Mesa to the other with respawning enemy checkpoints ftw

The dune buggy sections were mind numbingly boring enough, and the Rage games already exist.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
When are we going to get an open world picross game, is the real question.

Wait, this idea might actually be good.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Frankly it’s pretty immersion breaking that Mario - an average plumber from Brooklyn - is capable of jumping multiple times his own height right from the start.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Frankly it’s pretty immersion breaking that Mario - an average plumber from Brooklyn - is capable of jumping multiple times his own height right from the start.

it must be the shoes

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mister Facetious posted:

it must be the shoes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not saying there isn't a time or place for more forcibly narrative driven games, but snap isn't really that. Like someone said, it's a puzzle game.

It's got the right aesthetic, photographing pokemon, but, at least for me, not the right implementation. The fact it's purely on rails just going over the same maps repeatedly for a higher score count is not remotely interesting to me.

I'm fine with that not being for me, but I would pay money for an open world game of the same activities.

Gamefreak couldn't do it, but someone else might.

I am very glad you aren't/weren't designing these games

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ya'll are gonna jinx it and we're gonna get like pokemon snap gacha or some poo poo

gotta roll to get that SSR Steel-Type Camera Lens (Xmas Edition)

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think that a big percentage of games theoretically improve when transitioned to a big robust open world game, but that involves the assumption that the exact same level of quality is retained. Probably one of the most important elements of game design is immediately establishing scope. It's easy and perfectly valid to take any game you like and say "I want more content and freedom," but there's no guarantee that it can be done in both a feasible and satisfying manner. If you want every game to be Breath of the Wild + a bunch of other complex systems in the end you probably just get a Star Citizen. Those types of games are still fun to conceptualize though.

Pokemon Snap is good if you like high scores. I think it's fun to repeatedly go through levels with deliberate focus each time which is typically a combination of trying to trigger missing poses for specific pokemon, and getting even more perfect shots of any ones that you've got a full album on already. It's not a grindy demanding repetition, but rather a nice calm and methodical repetition.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

nrook posted:

When are we going to get an open world picross game, is the real question.

Wait, this idea might actually be good.

i guess it’s not exactly “open world” but piczle cross adventure is in this direction.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i guess it'd go from Snap to Pokemon Big Game Photographer. drop lures, watch from a distance, camp out. i could see that being fun, although probably extremely chilled out

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
No complaints about the House of the Dead remake not being an open world shooter? :colbert:

Pokémon Legends should have multiple paths to progression like different job classes so you can be purely a photographer if you want.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

they didn't call the photo of hoothoot's hidden foot 'hoothoot's footfoot'? more like Pokemon Crap!

My Pal Hoot Hoot

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Lmfao

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

saying "half life would be better as an open world game" is like saying your favourite novel would be better as a choose your own adventure book

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I know absolutely nothing about half life, so I assume you're talking about either a caveman or a purple dinosaur and the mental image of either is funny (it's 3am and I'm at work).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dabir posted:

saying "half life would be better as an open world game" is like saying your favourite novel would be better as a choose your own adventure book

I think that becomes more valid of a point once you read the ending and go "that ending was stupid and they're a bad author"

Looking at you, random scifi authors who slip in vampires in an aliens vs humans story (I can't remember the author but I will never not be mad at that)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think that becomes more valid of a point once you read the ending and go "that ending was stupid and they're a bad author"

Looking at you, random scifi authors who slip in vampires in an aliens vs humans story (I can't remember the author but I will never not be mad at that)

Peter Watts, and agreed, but your views on Half-life are still absurd. It's a loving corridor shooter and wouldn't work if it was opened up. Stalker is pretty much the only good open world shooter, because it's extremely difficult to make one enjoyable.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ah, the good old reverse-Bloodborne.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Anyone recommend a good rpg to play on the small screen? I bought Legend if the Keepers but the text is tiny. I'd like something that will last a while and I can get involved in, but won't make me go blind by squinting at the screen.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Man this Megaman Legacy Collection 2 sucks compared to the first! No comfy rewind not even save states? What happened? I can’t be bothered to do Wily’s castle in one go anymore. I mean at least it’s not open world but still.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I told you we needed locking mechanisms on the vehicle doors!

"I don't blame people for wanting every game to be open world. But I do ask that they pay for it themselves."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Olewithmilk posted:

Anyone recommend a good rpg to play on the small screen? I bought Legend if the Keepers but the text is tiny. I'd like something that will last a while and I can get involved in, but won't make me go blind by squinting at the screen.

Gonna start with anything by Square. Most of the FF/DQ games have been... "optimized" for mobile, and Star Ocean and FF12 are quite readable. Secret of Mana (Collection of Mana) still has a piss-awful text background, but it's arguably easier to read on a smaller screen. Ys VIII isn't bad either, as it's a Vita port. You might find the combat a bit repetitive, but it has the Genshin Impact gimmick of quickly swapping between three characters. Undertale is solid, with clear text, and has more than one ending. Cosmic Star Heroine is alright , goes on sale reasonably often, and has multiple difficulty settings.

I have no experience with the Kemco line of games other than they churn out roughly two per year.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Are there a lot of invisible walls in half life? I remember it being being open world, just bits of that open world had been blocked off by cave-ins and locked doors. If you want to jump off a cliff you can, you just die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel weird that Pokémon Legends has yet to come up. It's not literally Pokémon Snap, but it's a game where you wander around an open world and document the Pokémon you come across, and I don't think anyone was dazzled by the trailer they released.

Maybe it'll be cool when they release it, but I suspect it won't measure up to Snap in terms of safari fun.