Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I've grabbed Mei-ling in all my playthroughs so far and she is an unstoppable gunmage that can heal the party pretty well too. I love this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yeah gun mages rule

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you don't want to help stop the illegal banana trade in Edo I'm not sure you're a true FFL2 fan. :colbert:

Apart from the bananas and the last boss (more its abilities--"Creator" is not that much of a cut from "god", but "Fiat Lux", "RIght Hand of God", and "Left Hand of God" becoming "LIGHT", "RIGHT", and "" (accidentally left blank) instead of "FIATLUX", "MICHAEL", and "GABRIEL" does far more to avoid the point) and ending of 1, the translations are honestly decent IMO. The Japanese dialog tends toward a very punchy, truncated, ungrammatical style that's a close match for how translations from that era tended to turn out.

Some of the references in monster names get pretty spotty, but many of the spottiest were changed in a V1.1 release of the Japanese cartridge to a straight reverse-TL of the English because they were literally just then-popular anime characters and the publishers presumably got mad.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Romancing SaGa 2 & 3 are half off on the Switch eShop for the next like... 19 hours, if anyone's been tempted by other games in the series

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Romancing SaGa 2 & 3 are half off on the Switch eShop for the next like... 19 hours, if anyone's been tempted by other games in the series

Got them on Vita.

I'd buy Last Remnant for the third time on switch though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

Having never played them, are they worth it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I picked up Romancing SaGa 3 when I noticed it was on sale a couple days ago since I was planning to play it after SaGa Frontier anyway. Pretty nicely timed sale.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
What the hell, why is Asellus' scenario so much more fun and beautiful than the other three I've played!!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Captain Monkey posted:

I bounced pretty hard off of RS2 myself, but RS3 is great! I would definitely recommend a guide for the "what to do where and when" though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mike_V posted:

What the hell, why is Asellus' scenario so much more fun and beautiful than the other three I've played!!

That's because it's the best one

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mike_V posted:

it's the lesbianism

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
RS3 is a very good game

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mike_V posted:

The amount of detail in her scenario always felt like they'd started making the game with her as the "main" protagonist or something. She certainly gets insanely powerful compared to everyone else and the only person who comes close is Blue (and Red to a lesser extent) because being able to get human stat growth then break out mystic stat buffs and extra moves is just ridiculous and lets you run a 99-to-all-stats character without needing to do a bunch of horribly tedious gimmick grinding.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Who should I pick for my first protagonist in RS3 when I get there? I know there are fewer differences than SaGa Frontier (I'm assuming it's a bit like RS1/Minstrel Song, where the stories are mostly the same but with different starting points) but I'm curious if anyone has a better/worse start for a new RS3 player.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The amount of detail in her scenario always felt like they'd started making the game with her as the "main" protagonist or something. She certainly gets insanely powerful compared to everyone else and the only person who comes close is Blue (and Red to a lesser extent) because being able to get human stat growth then break out mystic stat buffs and extra moves is just ridiculous and lets you run a 99-to-all-stats character without needing to do a bunch of horribly tedious gimmick grinding.

Yeah, Asellus's story could easily carry an entire 30+ hour JRPG on its own, it's great. The new side quests for her in the remaster make it even better.

Also shout out to Fuse's scenario for letting you put together a dream team that includes both Asellus and almost-full-power Blue :black101:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

They offer very different experiences from each other, so it's pretty easy to bounce off of them.

Romancing SaGa 2 is a generational game; it chronicles the kingdom of Avalon's struggles against the legendary Seven Heroes, who have returned to ravage the world after a long disappearance. What this effectively means is that you play as the Emperor of Avalon. Every couple of story beats (or if you party wipe), your emperor will retire and you need to choose their heir from a small list, who you then play as for the next generation. You lose your party as well, but they're pretty easily replaced. Every character is a generic unit from a specific class, and every class of character you've unlocked is recruitable directly from your castle. Your entire inventory is property of the kingdom, so you can always pick up whatever you need from storage. There's some elements of base building here too, as you can dedicate treasury funds towards projects that unlock new buildings in the kingdom.

Other than that, it generally plays like a SaGa game. It's a little less freeform than something like SaGa Frontier; from what I remember, you start in effectively the corner of the map, and to get anywhere you'll need to go to a neighboring region, solve whatever problem they have, and add them to your kingdom. There's choice on where to go and what to do, but you are limited on where you can go from the start.

Romancing SaGa 3 on the other hand, is very freeform. It's similar to SaGa Frontier in that there's a massive world to explore and not terribly many restrictions on where you can actually go, once you get out of the prologue. You've got a choice of 8 protagonists, but they don't change up the game too much. The prologue will be different depending on which character you pick and each character has a different ending, but that's about it. Every character still ends up going through the same plot beats and fighting the same final boss. One of the main characters does have a unique business minigame, but I think you can play that if you recruit him too. For that reason, I really don't think it's super replayable; if you really like the game, sure, you can play it again. But you'll end up going through the same dungeons, side quests, etc. It's real good SaGa, though.

One small annoyance I do have with the game though is that you've got 5 party members in a fight, over 20 characters to recruit, but only 6 party slots total. If you want to recruit a lot of characters (and you do, because recruiting characters is the only way to get new formations) you'll have to constantly ditch characters. It's a minor thing, but you will have to constantly evaluate which characters you want to keep and which to ditch.

Oh and one other thing: if you do decide to play Romancing SaGa 3, I'd recommend against picking Sarah as your main character. There might not be a lot of differences between characters, but her endgame is uniquely hard if you're not prepared for it. It's a bit of a dick move, honestly.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Harrow posted:

Who should I pick for my first protagonist in RS3 when I get there? I know there are fewer differences than SaGa Frontier (I'm assuming it's a bit like RS1/Minstrel Song, where the stories are mostly the same but with different starting points) but I'm curious if anyone has a better/worse start for a new RS3 player.

They're all mostly the same. Mikhail has an RS2-lite ruling minigame that isn't very fun imo, and Sarah has a big curveball thrown at you in the 11th hour that you may want to look up should you decide to play as her.

The real choice you're making is which theme plays in towns, which is of vital importance because a) you'll be hearing said theme a lot and b) some of them are a lot better than others. The best choices are Julian, Ellen, Katarina or Khalid imo

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Asellus's story could easily carry an entire 30+ hour JRPG on its own, it's great. The new side quests for her in the remaster make it even better.

It's even less so than Minstrel Song because many of the characters share overlapping intros. Julien is sort of a default protagonist character so his intro is a bit longer than the rest, Ellen is sort of like Julien except her intro stops sooner, Katarina is only available in her scenario so if you want to use her that's your pick, Mikhail has a kind of bad minigame you have to do so maybe don't pick him.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I picked up Thomas, and IMO it was a great decision. I had a lot of fun with the business game and he really does make for an excellent mage. Khalid's pretty excellent out of the gate IIRC, but he starts with a hidden value (Greed) pretty high that can make quests harder or impossible if you don't know about it.

Julian, Ellen, Monika, Katarina are all pretty basic characters, I don't think they have anything particularly special about them. They make for pretty safe beginner characters if you're worried about that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Regardless of who you start as, make sure to recruit Fat Robin because he's amazing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sweet, I think I'll start as Generic JRPG Protagonist Julian for my first playthrough and then see if I decide to do a bunch of other playthroughs like I did for Minstrel Song.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I usually pick Katarina and I feel like she sort of represents the transition form Romancing SaGa to SaGa Frontier by having a comparatively unique intro and a specific mission for her journey (even if she ends up doing the same main story everyone else does). Also the Masquerade's Awakening feels kind of like a Frontier mechanic

Oh wow I hadn't ever seen this artwork of her before

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
The one tip I'd have for Romancing SaGa 3 is to recruit Nora as quick as possible, because Tiger's Den is basically the only important formation to learn.

Last time I played I was Katarina. There's not too many differences; there's few recruits that aren't available to everyone.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
While we're chatting about the remasters on sale I'll advocate for RS2 here: it's easily a decade or more ahead of its time in it's design goals and how it chooses to approach them- scaling difficulty to player progress, constantly expanding horizontal and vertical character progression, building out a nonlinear proto-open world, and having some Choice and Consequence along with multiple paths to resolving main story threads- while also having some unique stuff of its own that never really gets directly expanded on like the generational mechanics and the inheritance system. Yeah a lot of this is stuff that RS1/3 games were attempting as well, but RS2 ends up feeling more "complete" in it's efforts to meet these goals. I don't think there's anything quite like, say, the land ship/Bokhohn sequence in how many ways it can play out in the other SFC releases, or how you can sometimes just be ambushed by one of the heroes much earlier than expected and not have that be an unwinnable scenario because, worst case, you can roll a new party and move on.

It opens up the world a little more slowly than a lot of other SaGa games but uses this to make sure you aren't spending as much time wandering aimlessly until you stumble across an event that is now active (RS1/Minstrel Song has a real problem with this in particular), and even has a blessedly valuable npc in your castle that tells you when there's an event to be had in a province you've "cleared" already. Honestly the only thing I don't really like about RS2 is how long it takes to get a team set up towards the endgame, and most of that is just due to how you need to run around the entire world a few times to get everything just right. I guess it's also got a potentially hosed final stretch in that it doesn't clearly indicate when you're going to end up with the Final Emperor and will both need to make that LP last as well as be locked out of further fusion magic research/dojo updates/formation acquisitions, which can be a real problem given how valuable some of that magic is!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Seven scenarios complete, and seven Fuse case files complete. What a great game and what a great remaster.

Not quite done yet, though. Gonna do Blue's alternate path because it turns out Rouge counts as a separate completion for the Remaster Dev Room and I feel like being a completionist, and also gonna do at least a couple variations on the big Fuse boss rush.

I never finished the game back when I was a kid and playing on the PS1--I think I only finished Emilia, Asellus, and Blue--so I'm so glad for this remaster giving me a golden opportunity to finish the whole thing. I've been having a blast.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nice, good poo poo.

I've been close to done for a while but have been hung up on the fuse boss rush. Literally zero problems in the boss rush itself but I chose Boss X for my final fight cuz hey why not, free alkaiser, free stats.

God drat is he a bastard at full power in a way I've never seen before. I feel dedicated to this but I've also dumped five entire characters worth of DSCs and Shadow Servant Towers into him and he still keeps going.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nice, good poo poo.

I've been close to done for a while but have been hung up on the fuse boss rush. Literally zero problems in the boss rush itself but I chose Boss X for my final fight cuz hey why not, free alkaiser, free stats.

God drat is he a bastard at full power in a way I've never seen before. I feel dedicated to this but I've also dumped five entire characters worth of DSCs and Shadow Servant Towers into him and he still keeps going.

Yeah, from what I've seen the final boss in the boss rush is extremely tough. You can still cheese with Overdrive or Time Leap (with Time Lord) but even that won't completely save you unless you go full Overdrive Stasis.

I'm planning to do Blue's boss for the boss rush so that I can have Life magic on Blue. Reviver, specifically, is going to be really nice. I'm thinking a team of Fuse, Blue, Asellus, Time Lord, and Mesarthim is probably the dream team for that. Blue's probably going to spend the whole fight casting Reviver on everyone over and over.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You can do Sarah first, just know that you have to learn to use Commander mode when playing as her.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Regardless of who you start as, make sure to recruit Fat Robin because he's amazing.

lmao that whole side quest is hilarious. Definitely something I remember from playing a rom of RS3 ages ago. Who was the little girl who would force herself onto your team and refuse to leave? She was the worst. Avoid her at all costs!!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Tatyana, who is actually surprisingly good if you know what to use on her

She can also be forced to leave if you go to her hometown

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

We call that Rouge syndrome

Edit: she seemed to be decent at magic but I found getting money really difficult so I couldn’t really give her any good spells.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

She has moon aptitude, sword sparking, and i think some aptitudes for small sword, melee, and ranged? The old resource website uses the fanpatch terminologies which I'm not familiar with. She also has some weird bug with her spark table that I'm not entirely sure remains in the remaster

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Reco posted:

She has moon aptitude, sword sparking, and i think some aptitudes for small sword, melee, and ranged?

Because nothing is ever simple in a Saga game, apparently her magic affinity depends on which fake name she tells you when joining so it can be either moon or sun

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Okay finally caught up with the thread.

I've done Blue and Red and am at the end of T260G's scenario (named EggNoG because I thought it was funny)

I've beaten all of these scenarios already but I'm committed to finishing every scenario this time, a task I've started and stalled out on around the fourth time I do the rune quest so many times in my teen years. I don't think I've ever beaten Asellus or Riki's scenarios, so I'm looking forward to those. NG+ has actually been great for keeping me motivated, even though I'm using different characters each scenario so bringing character stats over isn't that bad. I haven't been transferring items, but I think I'll start doing that too, just to make some of the character recruitment stuff easier on me, but I'll probably stick with progress-appropriate gear for the most part.

Planning on Asellus next so that'll be fun. I've started her scenario a couple of times but never finished it, I think I'll do half-mystic because I usually try to stick to human, but that sounds a lot less powerful.

Game's good

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Veib posted:

Because nothing is ever simple in a Saga game, apparently her magic affinity depends on which fake name she tells you when joining so it can be either moon or sun

You don't just intuitively know what sweet goes with which magic? Now I feel embarrassed for you.

Seriously though, I never even knew Tatyana was good at magic to begin with, and it's hilarious that the affinity is correlated with her fake name (that's always a sweet btw)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What does magic affinity mean in RS3? Is it like, don't even bother giving a character a type of magic they don't have an affinity for, or is it just "they'll learn spells a little faster?"

It's been so long since I've played any SaGa game other than SaGa Frontier that I forget what other games do the same and differently.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

What does magic affinity mean in RS3? Is it like, don't even bother giving a character a type of magic they don't have an affinity for, or is it just "they'll learn spells a little faster?"

It means the magic stat will go up faster, which then makes spells of that type stronger. You get new spells by buying them from magic merchants, everyone can learn everything but a character can only have two spell types at one time; one out of sun/moon and one out of fire/water/wind/earth (the remaster uses fancy names for magic schools and I don't remember what they are)

e: You can respec magics but the new one will start at 0 magic stat again, there are a couple of characters that start with magic that you can't remove so they're limited to what they have + sun/moon

Veib fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 5, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veib posted:

It means the magic stat will go up faster, which then makes spells of that type stronger. You get new spells by buying them from magic merchants, everyone can learn everything but a character can only have two spell types at one time; one out of sun/moon and one out of fire/water/wind/earth (the remaster uses fancy names for magic schools and I don't remember what they are)

Oh cool, thanks. I did notice looking at the site that base stats appear not to grow (and are determined by class/weapon?) but you have skill levels that increase instead.

Are all magic types good in their own ways, or are there some duds?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Fire is almost mandatory for some fights because of fire wall, moon has shadow servant which needs no introduction and also a speed buff. I dunno much about the others because I never really delved far into magic. sun, water, and earth are all ok at support iirc

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

RS3 chat:

martial arts are good as heck
instakill moves (axe) can work on bosses
there's a thing you can do with a snowman that's sad
lobster man
peony is the best spear user in the game
sharl is not good enough to sacrifice a party slot + the silver hand
undine good
katarina is the best mc
khalid gets access to a unique dungeon with access to a late game enemy type that helps in sparking techs - not as much of a big deal in the remaster's bonus dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looking over the RS3 spell names on this page just makes me think about the odd decision to retranslate Mega Windblast as "Gale Blast" in SaGa Frontier Remastered. I'm kinda used to it now, but it looks like the same spell in RS3 was fan translated as "Sun Wind" and then in the remaster it's "Corona," both of which make a lot more sense as light/sun magic. I'd probably have gone with "Solar Wind" or something.